PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Life » Off Topic

Old 26 May 2008, 19:46   #1
Deb
Mega Loafer

Default Petrol prices

I got this in my email account from a friend and many of you have already got it from me lol.

Anyway, it' s worth a try

---------------------

See what you think and pass it on if you agree with it

We are hitting £1.20.9 a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying £1.50 a ltr. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't
continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! Acting together we can make a difference . If this makes
sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 20:39   #2
djfierce
Mega Loafer

question though (or point even ) the supermarkets buy from the big fuel companies too though dont they?? I know Sainsbury's certainly do just cant think who it is lol.

well you certainly sent that to more than 10 people Deb
djfierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 20:40   #3
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

It's crazy I must say, in this area certainly BP have the highest prices and Esso is usually a penny or two more than Shell and the supermarket ones as well. I try to only get petrol at Shell as I think their quality is the best. Shell is quite a ~~~~~~~ too in my opnion as they pulled out of a great plan to provide a significant amount of energy to London via an off shore windfarm. Probably won't happen now.

Having said all this, the good thing about high petrol prices is that car manufacturers are now doing their upmost best to only produce cars beyond 50mpg. 70mpg+ isn't too far off to being the norm I'd say.

70% of petrol prices is tax!
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 20:40   #4
AndyK
Relentless

Got this last week too, just haven't had time to forward it on yet lol ... just have to find a Shell garage local to me as I wouldn't touch supermarket petrol with a lit match ... it may come from the big companies, but it's lower quality and doesn't go through the same production controls as the "named brands"! It is the oil companies that need to be "hit" ... even though we pay a fortune in tax on petrol in the UK, in real terms the tax on fuel has risen by less than inflation int he last 5 years or so.
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 20:42   #5
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

that would lead to alot of small petrol stations closing, and lots of lost jobs (much like the super market petrol stations have done, 5 closed on one road all within a mile radius of sainsburys is my own personal example). why just bp?? why not shell? while i totally agree the price of fuel is shocking and action needs taken... i don't think this is the solution, sadly i don't know what the solution is. I will continue to support my local independant garage (bp) and continue to blame the government for the rediculous cost at the pumps (over 60% pump price pure tax)... oh yeah not forgetting we're paying tax on the tax in the form of vat.
as a final note, check this link... especially the date!!!!

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/car-t...-campaign.html
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 20:43   #6
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfierce View Post
question though (or point even ) the supermarkets buy from the big fuel companies too though dont they?? I know Sainsbury's certainly do just cant think who it is lol.

well you certainly sent that to more than 10 people Deb
Not quite as far as I know here in the UK. In effect yes the oil will probably come from Shell or other Oil companies, however the actual product is refined elsewhere. Last year's contanimated petrol only affected supermarket petrol stations.
Old 26 May 2008, 20:46   #7
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

[QUOTE=djfierce;413151]

you are 100% correct... the basic petrol comes from the large suppliers.. such as bp and shell and esso.... but hasn't the same blend of additives added after the initial refining etc.. each of the major suppliers.. bp, shell esso etc add there own blend of additives afterwards (if memory serves)
Old 26 May 2008, 20:49   #8
djfierce
Mega Loafer

oh right ok thanks
djfierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 20:52   #9
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

http://www.petrolprices.com/fuel-tax.html
Old 26 May 2008, 20:54   #10
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

http://www.petrolprices.com/price-of-petrol.html
Old 26 May 2008, 21:00   #11
RadioMaster
The German

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke knooby View Post
that would lead to alot of small petrol stations closing, and lots of lost jobs (much like the super market petrol stations have done, 5 closed on one road all within a mile radius of sainsburys is my own personal example). why just bp?? why not shell? while i totally agree the price of fuel is shocking and action needs taken... i don't think this is the solution, sadly i don't know what the solution is. I will continue to support my local independant garage (bp) and continue to blame the government for the rediculous cost at the pumps (over 60% pump price pure tax)... oh yeah not forgetting we're paying tax on the tax in the form of vat.
as a final note, check this link... especially the date!!!!

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/car-t...-campaign.html
this is probably the longest post by jonty i have ever seen!!!
RadioMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 21:07   #12
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Wanted to reply to this thread, but more in regard to the root problem, so I started this thread here rather than go off topic
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 21:20   #13
SuperLoafMan
Meat Loaf Rocks!

The price of petrol these days is ridiculous, There needs to be some sort of strike or something to stop this. We pay too much in tax already!!!
SuperLoafMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 21:39   #14
Battybarb
Nutty Tart From Hell

That has already happened in the past hasnt it and nobody took any notice,as like most things that affect normal people.
Battybarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2008, 22:16   #15
Deb
Mega Loafer

Indeed Ross

I remember when you passed your test lol. Good to see you around btw
Old 27 May 2008, 00:23   #16
ChoccyBat
Yorkie

Ha! I rant in another thread about petrol then see this! lol.
As already pointed out, supermarkets get theirs from the big suppliers, but it does tend to be poorer quality. Thats how they sell it cheaper, as well as it being a loss leader sometimes as part of a war with other supermarkets.
Unfortunately this petition thing won't work, as it hasn't in the past when I've seen it. It seems the only thing that will stop the prices shooting up is a full blown recession, and we probably aren't far off that now.
Trouble is, the government will do nothing about it. As already pointed out, car companies are already starting to sell alternative fuelled cars in mainstream, people are actively looking for ways to save fuel, and this could lead to less busy roads. Were we bothered when it was 95p a litre? Not really, we plodded on. Now everyone is talking about it, and we're all trying to save petrol on non-essential journeys. Exactly what the government wants. The looming recession doesn't seem to bother them too much.
ChoccyBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 01:20   #17
~Helen~
Mega Loafer

On the topic of petrol and prices, I thought I would mention (as I consider it a significant and sickening moment) that I paid for petrol yesterday that was double the price petrol was when I first learnt to drive...

...only 8 years ago.

(of course when I mentioned this to my parents (both in their 60s) this sparked a discussion of how cheap it was when they began learning to drive, but my point is that 8 years is not that long an amount of time, especially for something (with the exception of houses - but don't let me get started on that) to double in price!)
~Helen~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 01:25   #18
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Helen~ View Post
...only 8 years ago.

(of course when I mentioned this to my parents (both in their 60s) this sparked a discussion of how cheap it was when they began learning to drive, but my point is that 8 years is not that long an amount of time, especially for something (with the exception of houses - but don't let me get started on that) to double in price!)

I know what you mean but you'd be surprised, a good example I've seen almost everything double in price whenever I am in The Netherlands since they introduced the Euro in 2002. Things that cost 50 guilders in 2001 now cost 50 Euro. Exchange rate Euro- Guilder: 1 - 2.2.
Interestingly seeing Meat Loaf in Rotterdam in 1996: 45 guilders. In 2008: 49 Euro.
Seeing Meat Loaf in the Secc, Glasgow 1998: £25. Seeing Meat Loaf now pretty much 50 quid a pop.
The governmental inflation figures seem to be far off at times if you ask me.
Old 27 May 2008, 02:03   #19
~Helen~
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I know what you mean but you'd be surprised, a good example I've seen almost everything double in price whenever I am in The Netherlands since they introduced the Euro in 2002. Things that cost 50 guilders in 2001 now cost 50 Euro. Exchange rate Euro- Guilder: 1 - 2.2.
Interestingly seeing Meat Loaf in Rotterdam in 1996: 45 guilders. In 2008: 49 Euro.
Seeing Meat Loaf in the Secc, Glasgow 1998: £25. Seeing Meat Loaf now pretty much 50 quid a pop.
The governmental inflation figures seem to be far off at times if you ask me.
Whilst I can be very sure wages haven't doubled in the same time (in fact, a quick check on the jobcentreplus.gov.uk website has confirmed this for me) but I'm sure that could open up a whole new can of worms so I shall shut up now.
~Helen~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 08:41   #20
Battybarb
Nutty Tart From Hell

just seen on tv this morning lorry drivers are causing some sort of strike or demo ,causing a blockade today in protest of the prices
Old 27 May 2008, 09:14   #21
Deb
Mega Loafer

LOL maybe we should all go join the blockade
Old 27 May 2008, 09:18   #22
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
LOL maybe we should all go join the blockade
If you can afford the petrol that is lol
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 09:18   #23
Battybarb
Nutty Tart From Hell

sounds like a plan,where shall we meet...lol
Old 27 May 2008, 09:20   #24
Battybarb
Nutty Tart From Hell

I hope they cause chaos,its about time something is done,its just getting so out of control !!
Old 27 May 2008, 09:21   #25
Deb
Mega Loafer

LOL M. No I guess I can't lol.