mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Coupe de Ville

Old 04 Jun 2010, 12:29   #26
wolfy35
Dangerous on a full moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarioLoaf View Post
wonder when teh HCTB gold disk will come out
I also saw one on ebay a week before it came out. It was SO NASTY was just a gold colured CD with a laser etched version of Bat1 artwork on it ( really poor rendition looked like it had been drawn by a drunken toddler ).
It was in a mount with a copy of HCTB album art that looked like it was a thumbnail that had been blown up to fill space and had a line down one side obviously from a dirty printer head

Biggest laugh was it being on a "Buy it now" at £129.99 and described as a genuine disc that any fan would treasure for life. TBH most fans would have been embarrased even to use it as a coaster
wolfy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2010, 16:19   #27
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy35 View Post
Biggest laugh was it being on a "Buy it now" at £129.99 and described as a genuine disc that any fan would treasure for life. TBH most fans would have been embarrased even to use it as a coaster
There are fans who just tend to buy something that might look nice on the wall in the living room and who have only little knowledge on what the real treasures are. That's okay but what astonishes me are the ridiculously high prices people often pay for such items. That's why the market is flooded with questionable collectibles.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2010, 16:42   #28
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky
Super Loafer

ye thats why i got this gold disk of a authtec autograph suppler they sell signed guitars and autographs this companey i got the disk from are regestard collectors
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2010, 17:47   #29
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy<meat-loaf>rocky View Post
this companey i got the disk from are regestard collectors
Only goes to prove that only too often, that means nothing at all.

There is nothing official about that disc, and it should only be treated as something that gives personal pleasure.

The reason these are on the market is because of supply and demand.

The actual gold disc awarded to an artist is a one off that will usually be kept be the artist.

Very expensive.

There might be other copies done by the record company that are nearly as desirable, but again, there are only so many to go around.

Expensive.

Then, the artist's management might release a limited edition gold disc (I have the one released by Neverland).

It'll set you back a fair few quid, but you'll still own your very own shirt.

Then at the lower end of the spectrum you have this kind of collectable.
I would term these as (what's know in areas on the military antique trade) a fantasy piece.
Whereas the "fake" is a copy of something that is known to exists, the fantasy piece is something designed to be pleasing on the eye to the collector, but is a design of the makers invention.

That many on these "limited editions" come with a "certificate of authenticity" is hardly helpful to the buyer, and I for one think the manufacture of these things should be regulated much more tightly (that's to say, they should be regulated at all).
It's this certificate which makes the buyer think they are buying something valuable, when in reality it's something that has been run off a printer aimed at making the item more legitamate and desirable.

There is no shortage of them on ebay.I've seen them both is this gold disc type, and framed CD's with artwork.

If looking at the financial investment aspect of a piece (something which I never do) always remember quality over quantity, and whereas an original and unusual piece will slowly grow in value (note the word "slowly" there) a fake or fantasy piece (aka a ~~~~ up job) will plumet in value as soon as you hand your cash over.
It's just a second hand fake.

But the most important thing is buy what you like and like what you buy.
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 01:08   #30
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky
Super Loafer

this came with a certificate of authenticity but its on the back of the gold disc
Old 07 Jun 2010, 01:25   #31
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...

Authenticating what exactly? Any chance you giving us the wording?
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 11:53   #32
wolfy35
Dangerous on a full moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
Authenticating what exactly? Any chance you giving us the wording?
Its authentically one that we made
wolfy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 23:04   #33
A Slice Of English

They usually say "This is number 42 of 100" or similar and then comes with some home-made certificate. They mean jack-squat.
A Slice Of English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jun 2010, 00:39   #34
Vickip
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post

On the up-side, my neighbour saw it the other day and on finding out I was a fan he gave me his spare red BOOH LP to add to my collection! Now I just have to figure out how to frame that.
I've found frames that are made specifically for hanging LPs in our local craft store and online at amazon.com. Hope that helps !
Vicki
Vickip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2010, 15:36   #35
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
what do u think of it it cost me £110 and i hope it goes up in value in years to come lol
There is something that I don't understand. You can get a gold disc for a lower price at Meat Loaf's official store, so why buying from eBay and spending that much money on such an item?
Old 12 Jun 2010, 15:30   #36
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky
Super Loafer

the meat loaf store is all in dollers not pounds and dont know how much things are in pounds and dont know how to order in dollers i dont know why they dont do a uk store with all the same stuff on
Old 12 Jun 2010, 15:33   #37
A Slice Of English

Meatloaf.net has a store in both pounds and dollars.
A Slice Of English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2010, 16:03   #38
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Yes, but when you click "UK store" a page of Universal is displayed and they apparently don't offer gold discs. However, with regard to this...

Quote:
i hope it goes up in value in years to come lol
... I'd favor official merchandise over most of the "collector's items" flogged on eBay. Furthermore, I assume you'd also support your favorite artist if you bought stuff from the official store.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 16:22   #39
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky
Super Loafer

this is the certifecert

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/q...t/DSCN1207.jpg
Old 12 Jun 2010, 16:27   #40
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky
Super Loafer

like said before if meat sold his merc on a uk site in pounds then i would buy it
Old 12 Jun 2010, 17:16   #41
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Nice.

I authenticate that this post was made by Sarge and is Sarge's post # 1.508. Sarge is a proud member of MLUKFC.

Last edited by Sarge; 12 Jun 2010 at 17:23.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 17:18   #42
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Nowhere on that certificate does it state that it is an official product. I could make you a certificate just like that one.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2010, 19:54   #43
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky
Super Loafer

its like if a well known artist paints a picture of lets say meat loaf ye but the artist paints or dose a limted number of prints its not offical merc but its worth something isant it its only the same if u notice on the actual picture of it thirs a union jack flag on the record and that must indicate if its genuine because the record prouducers have the same logo on thirs i saw one on come dine with me celb and thire was gold disc in sam foxs house and it had unionjack on it
Old 12 Jun 2010, 20:22   #44
daveake
200% is the new 110%

I certify that this post is written in English.

That'll be £50 please
daveake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2010, 20:31   #45
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Yes, if Andy Warhol would have produced a few Meat Loaf prints - those would surely be valuable today. But most of the folks who sell such stuff on eBay are neither well-known nor artists. Check out how many variations of that item are offered and sold. Something that's available to every Tom, Dick and Harry probably won't become a treasure, no matter how many of such certificates it comes along with.

As for the Union Jack and the record producers: I don't see any "presented to..." or the name of the record label on the plaque. It doesn't have a BPI logo either. It says "for sales [...] worldwide".

Last edited by Sarge; 12 Jun 2010 at 20:45.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 21:52   #46
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky
Super Loafer

bpi logo ?
Old 12 Jun 2010, 21:56   #47
Sarge
Mega Loafer

If it was an award like those presented to artists, record producers, etc. it would bear the logo of the British Phonographic Industry.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 22:12   #48
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Eddy, the whole thing was probably knocked up for 30 quid at the most. They've had your pants down. Learn from this and never repeat it.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2010, 22:27   #49
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Well, if he likes it it's okay but he probably paid too much for it.

P.S.: Even on in-house awards it usually says on the plaque whom they were presented to, by whom and why.
Old 12 Jun 2010, 23:35   #50
eddy<meat-loaf>rocky
Super Loafer

my name is martin not eddy the story is eddy from the rocky horror the meat loaf then rocky because iam a fan of rocky horror thats the story of my user name