mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 26 Jun 2010, 06:10   #1
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Default Pearl

Forgive me for posting this but I've just watched this three times and for the life of me can't understand why this lass hasn't made it into the big time.

Recorded on a dodgy cam opening for Meat at Nottingham, dodgy cam it may be but this girl gave her all and truely rocked!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcCsi...eature=related
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 07:12   #2
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstro View Post
for the life of me can't understand why this lass hasn't made it into the big time.
Probably because she sings crap songs She's great looking, sings well but the songs have zero effect on me. Or maybe she just doesn't want to be in the big time.
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 11:04   #3
A Slice Of English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
Probably because she sings crap songs She's great looking, sings well but the songs have zero effect on me. Or maybe she just doesn't want to be in the big time.
I disagree. I got Pearls album and it kicks some serious ass. Lovepyre rocks.
A Slice Of English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 11:33   #4
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
Guess at some point you'll have to take the Jimmy blinkers off lol, let me know when you do.
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 11:40   #5
Pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Slice Of English View Post
I disagree.
That's OK
Old 26 Jun 2010, 14:17   #6
A Slice Of English

Quote:
That's OK
A Slice Of English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 17:27   #7
LisaT
Super Loafer

Pearl's album is bloody brilliant in my opinion! I really hope she manages to get the funds to be able to tour the UK, because I plan on being in the front row seats. She writes some great lyrics. I was hooked on her album from the very first listen.
LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 20:20   #8
lisa01
Super Loafer

Default Pearl

I PERSONALY THINK PEARL IS A FANTASTIC SINGER JUST LIKE HER DAD
lisa01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 20:28   #9
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

I think Pearl probably got a head start in music because of her dad and now her boyfriend. That doesn't make her a better singer in my opinion.

She's pretty good though and probably one of the best support acts I've seen. She'd be good at a festival. I'm saying that because I haven't heard her do any REAL stand out songs so far.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 20:42   #10
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I think Pearl probably got a head start in music because of her dad and now her boyfriend. That doesn't make her a better singer in my opinion.

She's pretty good though and probably one of the best support acts I've seen. She'd be good at a festival. I'm saying that because I haven't heard her do any REAL stand out songs so far.
This pretty much sums up my opinion of her too.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 20:55   #11
Rage Against

She's a good singer. I like a few songs on her album. She's got a little Janice Joplin to her voice.

Head start? Pearl's been a back-up singer paying her dues. Head start would be like Brooke Hogan. I don't think she's done any back-up singing or anything else. She had her dad's fame and money to give her a notch up.
Rage Against is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 20:58   #12
Evil One
Mega Loafer

But Brooke Hogan is crap and can't sing. Pearl is a good singer, but would she be where she is today without her famous dad making her one of his backing singers to start with?
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2010, 21:07   #13
Rage Against

She was a back-up singer for Motley Crue too. I wouldn't consider being a back-up singer, a head start. I guess it's in your definition of head start. If being a back-up singer since 1994 and then releasing your first album in 2009-2010 is your definition of head start, I'd hate to see your definition of paying dues. 16 years as a back-up, yeah she REALLY got the silver spoon on that one.
Old 26 Jun 2010, 22:02   #14
AndrewG

Sheryl Crow was a back up singer for Michael Jackson and thus got to work with Bill Bottrell which helped her launch her solo career with great songs as he is a fantastic song writer. Definitely a head start.
Old 26 Jun 2010, 22:28   #15
Rage Against

We'll have to disagree on the definition of "head start". I don't think 16 years is a "head start".
Old 26 Jun 2010, 23:30   #16
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage Against View Post
We'll have to disagree on the definition of "head start". I don't think 16 years is a "head start".
Who's talking 16 years though? Pearl was a back up singer in Meat's band much more recent than that and also it is probably more "opening doors" than "head start" what I'm trying to say.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 00:33   #17
suzieq
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
but would she be where she is today without her famous dad making her one of his backing singers to start with?
If you mean her touring out of a suped up van (with uhaul in tow), playing venues a bit bigger than a bar, with accomodations such as a bloody couch and interviewers throwing up in the bathroom pre-show.....ummmmm....she probably could do that on her own without flashing the Meat Loaf/Scott Ian card.

She's got her debut album out that is awesome and underexposed, she's taken it on the road to anyone who will listen, putting in her time, and meeting the fans.

All details are according to her facebook as well as other fan's facebook pages.

Sorry, you can't tell me that she's had a "head start". IMO: She may have some intel into the business and knows a lot of people, but she's doing it ground up.

Suzieq
suzieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jun 2010, 01:10   #18
Pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage Against View Post
Head start? Pearl's been a back-up singer paying her dues.
She probably wouldn't have got a gig as a back up singer if it wasn't for her Dad, that's a pretty good head start.

And what constitutes 'paying her dues'? I hear it so many times and it's bullshit. It's a label people slap on somebody to make out that the artist deserve recognition more than somebody else just because they like them. There's a shitload of artists out there who've worked harder, longer and sacrificed more and really have paid their dues, Patti Russo springs to mind for one
Old 27 Jun 2010, 01:28   #19
suzieq
Mega Loafer

Quote:
She probably wouldn't have got a gig as a back up singer if it wasn't for her Dad, that's a pretty good head start.
IMO: Pearl is that good and she probably would have gotten a gig on her own.

Quote:
And what constitutes 'paying her dues'? I hear it so many times and it's bullshit. It's a label people slap on somebody to make out that the artist deserve recognition more than somebody else just because they like them.
No it's just an easy way to say, the artist has broken into the business, has gained knowledge, has made friends, has learned, has made mistakes, has grown, has put in the legwork, has put their name in lights, all of which are not easy to do. This thread was labeled PEARL. NO ONE is comparing resumes with Patti. And for the record I love Patti and she deserves her shot too.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 01:29   #20
AndrewG

This weekend in the UK we have Glasto on. You only see the main headline acts on the BBC whilst there are countless other stages where other fantastic artists perform. I'm sorry but I do think people sometimes should look beyond the Meat Loaf bubble and see what's out there. You might be surprised to find something else that captures your interest just as much or maybe even more. I'm only saying this as there are many artists I can think of who are as good as Pearl or perhaps even better. Her dad certainly helped to open doors. If you don't believe that then why are we even debating her here on this forum?

Last edited by AndrewG; 27 Jun 2010 at 01:35.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 01:41   #21
suzieq
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I'm sorry but I do think people sometimes should look beyond the Meat Loaf bubble and see what's out there.
Just for clarification, are you thinking I'm in a Meat Loaf bubble?
Old 27 Jun 2010, 01:46   #22
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieq View Post
No that is not a personal attack! It's just that I am sensing a rather biased approach here on this board towards other hard working artists: I.e. only Meat Loaf and his gang have ever had to endure a hard time and all other artists have an easy life. It's ridiculous. People (including me) slag off so many other artists because we don't like their music but that doesn't mean to say that people at the top of the charts work less hard than those at the bottom which in this case has been Meat Loaf here and Pearl.

Last edited by AndrewG; 27 Jun 2010 at 01:49. Reason: Makes more sense now!
Old 27 Jun 2010, 01:49   #23
Pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieq View Post
I'm thinking that, which is OK, there's a lot of people on here who are.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 01:53   #24
AndrewG

Quote:
I'm thinking that, which is OK, there's a lot of people on here who are.
Yeah there's nothing wrong with that but I'm just saying when we are talking about sheer effort there are a lot of people out there who work their fingers to the bone and I DEFINITELY think Pearl has had A FORM of help through her dad. Sure she needs talent otherwise it doesn't work or last as with Brooke Hogan it won't.
Old 27 Jun 2010, 02:02   #25
Rage Against

Quote:
You don't know that.

Quote:
And what constitutes 'paying her dues'? I hear it so many times and it's bullshit. It's a label people slap on somebody to make out that the artist deserve recognition more than somebody else just because they like them. There's a shitload of artists out there who've worked harder, longer and sacrificed more and really have paid their dues, Patti Russo springs to mind for one
My comparison is very relevant. Have some AI winners paid their dues? Not in my opinion. I don't think Pearl deserves more recognition. I'm just saying, she didn't start out making her own records from day one like some artists with famous/rich parents. According to what I've read, she's been a back-up singer since 1994. That's a long time to travel the roads, in the background before you put out your first record. And don't be so touchy...