PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Braver Than We Are

Old 13 Sep 2016, 13:47   #1
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Default Something odd with Amazon reviews

Just because I am a freak like that, I keep jumping on Amazon to read the reviews (which are still spilt massively down the middle).

But last night it said there were 65 reviews. This morning there were only 36. Now it is back up around 48.

It's not that someone is censoring the bad reviews - because there are equal 1 star and 5 star which is how it has been pretty much every time I've logged in - just seems bizarre. I've never paid enough attention to reviews to know if this is common or just a random glitch in their review count.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2016, 13:59   #2
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

My review was deleted along with this bulk removal.

I posted a shorter one which is still there at the moment.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2016, 14:01   #3
robgomm
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkent7 View Post
Just because I am a freak like that, I keep jumping on Amazon to read the reviews (which are still spilt massively down the middle).

But last night it said there were 65 reviews. This morning there were only 36. Now it is back up around 48.

It's not that someone is censoring the bad reviews - because there are equal 1 star and 5 star which is how it has been pretty much every time I've logged in - just seems bizarre. I've never paid enough attention to reviews to know if this is common or just a random glitch in their review count.
I believe it's because amazon remove all the reviews that don't have a verified purchase, this way they can make sure people aren't trolling. That being said, I still believe some people have managed to troll as a verified purchase.
robgomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2016, 14:17   #4
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgomm View Post
I believe it's because amazon remove all the reviews that don't have a verified purchase, this way they can make sure people aren't trolling. That being said, I still believe some people have managed to troll as a verified purchase.
No, there are plenty of negative reviews from those with non-verified purchase still. Mine has survived the cull .. quite pleased actually as there are two comments. One from the troll who is making sarcastic comments on most positive reviews, and posted his on his webpage, then posted the link twice on Meat's FB page with the comment "Check out this fantastic review!" And this one

"Great review C just what i wanted to hear havent heard the album as yet and some of the negative reviews have been putting me off as i dont want to be disappointed i know it maybe wont have the same magic as the original bat out of hell but im still looking forward to hearing it after your review will listen to it on its own merits"

So if I have got one person who has been put off until now by negative reviews and is prepared to listen to it with a open mind and not expect BOOH but something I said was as far removed from what you might expect as BOOH was from everything in its day, then writing it was worth it

I do think they should limit reviews to verified purchasers though Rob.
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 14:21   #5
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

I think they should limit reviews to people who can punctuate. Jesus.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2016, 14:46   #6
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgomm View Post
No. I'm verified and it was removed. I bought the vinyl from Amazon yet it comes up as audio cd as I also gifted a copy abroad which indeed was a cd.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2016, 15:12   #7
KarlV
Junior Loafer

Amazon somehow has the ability to detect whether reviews were written on the same networks as others, so if someone is trying to affect sales by uploading negative reviews they are often removed. A number of one star reviews were removed, perhaps in this way. They also remove reviews if they spot the writers on social media with connections to the artists. This has been increasingly common with book reviews, so if an author is 'friends' with readers on Facebook, or is followed on Twitter, it often leads to review withdrawals. So you end up losing what tend to be some of the worst and some of the best reviews.
KarlV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2016, 15:56   #8
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlV View Post
Amazon somehow has the ability to detect whether reviews were written on the same networks as others, so if someone is trying to affect sales by uploading negative reviews they are often removed. A number of one star reviews were removed, perhaps in this way. They also remove reviews if they spot the writers on social media with connections to the artists. This has been increasingly common with book reviews, so if an author is 'friends' with readers on Facebook, or is followed on Twitter, it often leads to review withdrawals. So you end up losing what tend to be some of the worst and some of the best reviews.
Pays for me having a different username on Amazon to everywhere else. Top positive review

And I think I know the "commenter" you are talking about. Literally some people have too much time on their hands to keep coming back to the review page of something they dislike, just to add a variation of the same comment ("Are you deaf?" "Have you actually listened to this or are you from the record company?" "Are you on drugs") on the review of everyone who has not given 1 star. I secretly like trolls...they are good for sarcasm practice.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote