mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Braver Than We Are

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09 Sep 2016, 14:00   #26
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!
 
Join Date: 18.01.2004
Location:  Northamptonshire
Posts: 6,875
Default

I suspect that AFL itunes = Tesco
PFL itunes = Tesco

No?
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 14:04   #27
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!
 
Join Date: 18.01.2004
Location:  Northamptonshire
Posts: 6,875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I suspect that AFL itunes = Tesco
PFL itunes = Tesco

No?
SCRAP THAT.
TESCO versions are different.

HOLY MOLY PFL AND AFL SOUND AMAZING ON THE TESCO VERSION!!!!!!!
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 14:07   #28
MarkS
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 20.03.2012
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkent7 View Post
Isn't the iTunes Prize Fight Lover not the demo version rather than the one on the Tesco release?
It is a demo version for sure on iTunes, not sure about Tesco
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 14:11   #29
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!
 
Join Date: 18.01.2004
Location:  Northamptonshire
Posts: 6,875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
It is a demo version for sure on iTunes, not sure about Tesco
On Tesco AFL is new orchestral version and PFL full band version (but still different than the original I believe).
iTunes appears to be demos with portions of the full versions.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 14:14   #30
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!
 
Join Date: 18.01.2004
Location:  Northamptonshire
Posts: 6,875
Default

Love love love this version of PFL on the Tesco version. Bloody hell. So good!

Still not listening to the rest of the album till later when I can listen to the entire thing on vinyl.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 14:18   #31
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!
 
Join Date: 18.01.2004
Location:  Northamptonshire
Posts: 6,875
Default

Something ain't right here. This really is too good to be true. Someone pinch me. I MUST be dreaming here. An even better version of PFL than we had at HCTB release??
What the HELL is going on?!
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 15:22   #32
ashkent7
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 02.12.2010
Location:  Durham,UK
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Something ain't right here. This really is too good to be true. Someone pinch me. I MUST be dreaming here. An even better version of PFL than we had at HCTB release??
What the HELL is going on?!
PFL on HCTB was always the "best song on the album" even though it technically wasn't, but although I really liked it and wanted to love it there was some that just didn't quite make it perfect. Still don't know now what. When I hear the new one later that may become apparent.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 15:24   #33
anotherday
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 12.10.2012
Posts: 742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Something ain't right here. This really is too good to be true. Someone pinch me. I MUST be dreaming here. An even better version of PFL than we had at HCTB release??
What the HELL is going on?!
Agree with this 100%.
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 15:28   #34
jcmoorehead
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 09.04.2003
Location:  Edinburgh, formerly Teesside
Posts: 637
Default

Amazon activated the Auto Rip of the album and I just heard the entirety of Going All The Way... I loved the Radio Edit but I will never ever be able to listen to it again. That was... perfect.
jcmoorehead is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 16:16   #35
R.
You dig.
 
Join Date: 02.04.2002
Location:  On the fothermucker
Posts: 7,165
Default

The vinyl sounds great! (!)
R. is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 16:22   #36
Kev
Just Kev
 
Join Date: 01.06.2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,850
Default

Does this mean we have 2 different versions of AFL?
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 16:22   #37
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 19.10.2015
Location: UK
Posts: 499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. View Post
The vinyl sounds great! (!)
What are you playing it through/with?

Gonna spin mine this evening.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 16:26   #38
Danny L
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 06.02.2003
Location:  Rutland, England
Posts: 415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I need to hear iTunes!

The ML/IM version is good! Meat's vocals are spot on. The best vocals on the album I'd say.
The itunes and tesco versions both have Imelda. Meat's vocals seem to be from 93ish, just both have separate backing tracks

Bit bizzare, could be mistaken??
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 16:30   #39
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!
 
Join Date: 18.01.2004
Location:  Northamptonshire
Posts: 6,875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny L View Post
The itunes and tesco versions both have Imelda. Meat's vocals seem to be from 93ish, just both have separate backing tracks

Bit bizzare, could be mistaken??
It's not a mistake. iTunes clearly lists the songs as songwriter demos.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 16:36   #40
Kev
Just Kev
 
Join Date: 01.06.2003
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny L View Post
The itunes and tesco versions both have Imelda. Meat's vocals seem to be from 93ish, just both have separate backing tracks

Bit bizzare, could be mistaken??
I thought the vocals were a bit too good to be the modern vocals.
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 16:42   #41
R.
You dig.
 
Join Date: 02.04.2002
Location:  On the fothermucker
Posts: 7,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. View Post
The vinyl sounds great! (!)
A Dual CS 701 direct drive turntable, built Anno Domini 1973, equipped with a Shure V15 III pickup with a Jico HE stylus. Amplified by a Grundig Fine Arts A9000 Amplifier (late 1980s). Speakers are swiss built ACR RP200 (early 1990s).

A little vinyl detail: you'll find 1 horseman on each record label - 4 horseman, 4 record sides.

R. is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 16:56   #42
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 19.10.2015
Location: UK
Posts: 499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. View Post
A Dual CS 701 direct drive turntable, built Anno Domini 1973, equipped with a Shure V15 III pickup with a Jico HE stylus. Amplified by a Grundig Fine Arts A9000 Amplifier (late 1980s). Speakers are swiss built ACR RP200 (early 1990s).

A little vinyl detail: you'll find 1 horseman on each record label - 4 horseman, 4 record sides.

I've still got an old N97xE Shure cart with a Jico on it somewhere -- always did like the sound. I haven't seen one of those old Duals for years though. A friend of mine used to have one (and probably still has it). Always sounded good to my ears.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 17:08   #43
R.
You dig.
 
Join Date: 02.04.2002
Location:  On the fothermucker
Posts: 7,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
I've still got an old N97xE Shure cart with a Jico on it somewhere -- always did like the sound. I haven't seen one of those old Duals for years though. A friend of mine used to have one (and probably still has it). Always sounded good to my ears.
The M97xE is a fine pickup, I have it myself. But for some reason the v15/3 is a complete different league - it sounds perfect for me. As for the Duals - they had exceptionally build quality until and including the 731 model years (early 1980s). If you find one of those, still working fine today and for sale - get it. If it's working today, there's no reason it'll break in the next 20 years.
R. is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 09 Sep 2016, 17:20   #44
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 19.10.2015
Location: UK
Posts: 499
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. View Post
The M97xE is a fine pickup, I have it myself. But for some reason the v15/3 is a complete different league - it sounds perfect for me. As for the Duals - they had exceptionally build quality until and including the 731 model years (early 1980s). If you find one of those, still working fine today and for sale - get it. If it's working today, there's no reason it'll break in the next 20 years.
Never heard the v15 as there are so many table/arm/cart/stylus variations it's impossible to find anywhere that will demo them these days, but I'll keep a look out in case I stumble across one.
I'd love to go for a solid state table at some point. Better remortgage that house again.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 17:31   #45
meatloaf5
Loafer
 
Join Date: 18.01.2008
Location:  Jersey, Channel Islands
Posts: 71
Default

Got ours today!!!! :) :)

Amazon with Bonus CD

Gonna rock all night!!!!


Last edited by meatloaf5; 09 Sep 2016 at 17:37.
meatloaf5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 17:40   #46
Danny L
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 06.02.2003
Location:  Rutland, England
Posts: 415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I thought the vocals were a bit too good to be the modern vocals.
Yes but the female vocals on both versions are definitely Imelda May with 90s Meat, an interesting artistic choice in the mix/editing of the Tesco/Target verison
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2016, 19:27   #47
ashkent7
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 02.12.2010
Location:  Durham,UK
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny L View Post
Yes but the female vocals on both versions are definitely Imelda May with 90s Meat, an interesting artistic choice in the mix/editing of the Tesco/Target verison
It's similar to what I've always wanted them to do with Bat...Take Meat's 77 vocal and put it to a re-recorded music track. There's nothing wrong with the original at all, but i would love to hear it with out the occasionally tinny guitars that were out in the 70s.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 10 Sep 2016, 00:57   #48
lorenzoduke
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 24.07.2006
Posts: 1,269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Something ain't right here. This really is too good to be true. Someone pinch me. I MUST be dreaming here. An even better version of PFL than we had at HCTB release??
What the HELL is going on?!
Damn you, this is the one version of the album I don't have yet! Got to pick it up tomorrow
lorenzoduke is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 12 Sep 2016, 22:37   #49
samurai7
Rock Star
 
Join Date: 09.05.2005
Location:  The future...
Posts: 2,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkent7 View Post
It's similar to what I've always wanted them to do with Bat...Take Meat's 77 vocal and put it to a re-recorded music track. There's nothing wrong with the original at all, but i would love to hear it with out the occasionally tinny guitars that were out in the 70s.
Or the distorted cymbals and muted-sounding snare due to Todd premixing the separate drum tracks to a stereo pair when recording, meaning that to get them right in the final mix was at best troublesome, and at worst virtually impossible.
I'm not bashing Todd though. That technique can be effective on more simple recordings, with more 'space' in them, but the wall of guitars/backgrounds/percussion etc in these songs mean that unless you can control the individual amounts of kick/snare/crash/ride/whatever things can get a bit bumpy in the mixing suite. Todd is a genius, we all know this. All the guitars you hear were his. The vocal arrangements? Tick. Half the musicians on the album? His band. He realised this collection as an album. Made it possible. I won't hold the drum-mixing thing (or tinny guitars ) against him lol
samurai7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - mlukfc.com
Made by R. Hosted by noscon.it.

Get Firefox!

Page generated in 0.13114 seconds with 16 queries.