PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Life » Off Topic

Old 30 Aug 2020, 04:29   #6901
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Onward (2020)
Effortless Pixar craftsmanship from every perspective.
Utterly beautiful and perfect story telling.
9/10
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2020, 03:30   #6902
AndrewG

Spiderman: Far From Home (2019)

The worst Spiderman movie in the last 20 years.
So patronisingly bad. All characters behave like idiots.

Makes a mockery of the events in Infinity War. Horrible.
2/10
Old 17 Sep 2020, 02:29   #6903
AndrewG

The Invisible Man (2020)

Utterly atrocious.

1 / 10

Watch Paul Verhoeven's far superior Hollow Man, instead of this utterly frustrating tripe.
Worst movie I've seen this year. Worse than Tenet if that was even possible.
Christopher Nolan and Jason Blum should merge Syncopy with Blumhouse productions. It will probably create a paradox of awfulness in the entertainment industry and perhaps cause a ripple effect that will make all awful movies in the history of the movie business to magically disappear.

Again like Tenet, this movie takes itself so serious. It forgets to entertain. A terrible lead actress was chosen. Terrible plot points. A mountain of plot holes and mostly just vague carry on that is never convincing or makes you feel anything.

Made for people who have no emotions I think. Maybe a dead fish will like it.

Whoever made this has no idea that a movie such as Terminator exists: the bad guy actually has a motivation to stalk, there is some fun in the absurdity of the situation, the effects are subtle, the menace comes from the intrigue, actors, situations and suspension of disbelief. This movie does everything in the total opposite way, it all feels very repetitive, it is far too long and the movie thus fails miserably.
A movie about the apparently teleporting dog that was in this storyline would have been more interesting.

Last edited by AndrewG; 17 Sep 2020 at 02:40.
Old 23 Oct 2021, 20:07   #6904
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

The Conjuring... still a great film

The conjuring 2... still an enjoyable film, though not as scary as the first.

Poltergeist... still well worth watching.
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 02:48   #6905
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke knooby View Post
Poltergeist... still well worth watching.
Original or remake (please say original...)

For me
Halloween Kills (2021)
It's a dumb slasherfilm, plotholes you might expect, dumb people doing all the wrong things and thus get killed...

I LOVED IT!!!
Great transistion movie. A clear middle movie in a trilogy and I can't wait for the conclusion next year. Michael Myers was freaking brutal in this one.

Don't expect award winning performances (although the flashback to 1978 is actually brilliant) and accept it for what it is. Then you will have a good time!
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 09 Nov 2021, 00:45   #6906
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

of course it was the original Adje :)

Last I saw was the latter half of The Exorcist...

turns out it's a bit of a comedy classic
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 28 Dec 2021, 16:57   #6907
AndrewG

West Side Story
Excellent re-work of the musical. Perfect soundtrack, great cast, great visuals and cinematography. Far more satisfying than the original dated movie.
Probably one my favourite Spielberg movies since Jurassic Park / Schindler's List. A whopping 28 years with quite a bit of claptrap in between.
Shame the cinemas were empty for this. I thought it was superb.
Spielberg should have done more musicals. Especially something like Les Mis or Phantom which have poor movie versions.
8.5/10

Spider-Man: No Way Home.
To me it seems overhyped.
I enjoyed it but is pretty dumb in places and has inconsistent pacing.
Spoiler below:

Apparently the worst part of of Spiderman's identity reveal is the 3 main characters not ending up in MIT. This is pretty ridiculously dumb. No one seems to be critical that this is the main catalyst for all the hectic carry on. Just as stupid as a rat freeing Ant Man from the Quantum Realm.
Why didn't they do something like Ned gets beat up / ends up in hospital or MJ gets harassed or something (not for 10 seconds which we saw, but something like an uncomfortable scene where she is all alone and there is no escape because Spider Man is saving someone else? This enforces the predicament as in that he cannot always be there for her and thus needs to be resolved surely? I probably would have done both at least. Happy goes to prison and Aunt May loses her job. This seems like an easy fix no? Spend 10 minutes on that and you have a movie that earns its story more.
Something really dark here would have made Peter Parker's trip to the wizard more believable.
Not ending up in MIT? Help me Dr Strange! ~~~~ off, film.

I enjoyed the movie but it doesn't come close to Infinity War, which to me is still the best Marvel movie in which I think the stakes are raised and there is real threat. I mostly prefer DC over the other dumb Marvel stuff. The likes of the Black Widow movie was terrible. At least No Way Home is not as bad.
7/10

Last edited by AndrewG; 28 Dec 2021 at 17:18.
Old 07 Jun 2022, 21:42   #6908
Adje
trying to be realistic

The New Jurassic World movie.

Same director as the first. Same issues. Not sure if JW or this one is the worst in the franchise. Good to see the old crew though. With this done Jurassic Park is a better trilogy than Jurassic World (Despite JP 3 )
Old 11 Jun 2022, 22:01   #6909
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
The New Jurassic World movie.

Same director as the first. Same issues. Not sure if JW or this one is the worst in the franchise. Good to see the old crew though. With this done Jurassic Park is a better trilogy than Jurassic World (Despite JP 3 )
I found Fallen Kingdom didn't really stand the test of time after I watched it again a few times. The second Hammond thing is soo stupid. And the effects of the dinos leaving the house are terrible. For me probably as bad as JP3. JW1 for me was still the most interesting big creature movie since Jurassic Park: Lost World. The park stuff felt very authentic if a bit dumb, sure, but fun in places. The effects are still pretty decent too.
Will catch JW3 next week probably but have very low expectations.
-----

Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

For me easily the best blockbuster sequel that has ever been made. I can't really fault any of the movie. The only thing I can think of is that the love story wasn't tied together to the main events that well. However, the action scenes are some of the best I've seen and you can clearly see not that much CGI was used. A very satisfying movie that never patronises its audience and starts a whole lecture about race or gender which we see so often with modern sequels after a long time since the original. Often we see sequels make the original hero seem like an idiot and even question his or her actions after all this time (see Last Jedi). I find this approach disgusting.
Maverick is much better than the original. Not often you can say that, in fact I can't think of any blockbuster movie where that has been the case. I know many prefer Empire over A New Hope but I'm not one of them.

9.5/10
Old 12 Jun 2022, 14:58   #6910
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I found Fallen Kingdom didn't really stand the test of time after I watched it again a few times. The second Hammond thing is soo stupid. And the effects of the dinos leaving the house are terrible. For me probably as bad as JP3. JW1 for me was still the most interesting big creature movie since Jurassic Park: Lost World. The park stuff felt very authentic if a bit dumb, sure, but fun in places. The effects are still pretty decent too.
Will catch JW3 next week probably but have very low expectations.
I wasn't a fan of Dominion either. But I really dislike the choises Colin makes as a director (I remember us disagreeing on JW, as I still find it the worst blockbuster of it's year and you were quite fund of it ) I don't think Trevorrow really understands his own concepts and this movie was sort of that same mess again.

But looking forward to your findings on the movie

Elvis
was actually muich better than I expected it to be. From the stand of Colonel Parker. For me Tom Hanks was (by far) the weak link in this movie -which means the rest was exceptional.

8,5 / 10 (Tom Hanks would score a 3,5 to 4 for his portrayal and a 0/10 for his ridiculous accent
Old 19 Jun 2022, 01:07   #6911
AndrewG

Jurassic World: Dominion. (2022)

I had low expectations to be fair but I thought it was pretty decent mostly. Some of the plot points seemed a bit under developed or not satisfactory. Mostly the new "creatures" that takes up Dr. Wu's time and the bad guy doesn't seem to have enough to do. Also some weird things with him went nowhere which I thought was a setup to something ("Have you got something to eat? I have to go now" Not sure what the f that was all about)

What I really liked were Grant, Sadler and Malcom's parts and how that integrated quite decently with the JW characters. They all had stuff to do and some interesting call backs to the first movie. Pretty well done and none of the characters felt unused or done badly (which we see SO often when old characters are brought back but maybe that is mostly a Disney thing these days).

Some really good dino chase / action bits.

Weird how most of the stuff in the first trailer wasn't in the movie at all. And "the first 6 minutes of Dominion clip" that was released months ago also wasn't what we got. All very strange the build up to the film.
No idea if a lot of the movie's screenplay got "fixed" /re-written in post production. Perhaps a bit clumsy.

Initial thought is an 8/10 as I just had a good time, but I often lower the score on subsequent viewings I've noticed as my initial expectations play such a part in my reaction.
I think eventually I'd say it's maybe something like a 7 or 7.5 / 10 if I'm a bit more objective.
Better than I expected anyway.
Old 15 May 2023, 11:23   #6912
AndrewG

John Wick 4.

Super solid, fun, cool, over the the top and some stunningly long well choreographed action scenes.
Everything you'd want from a movie like this. Probably the best movie Keanu Reeves has been in since The Matrix 1.
9/10

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 3.

Quite disappointing to me. I love the first two.
A stand alone Rocket movie would have been far, far better. His backstory is excellent but the rest got irritating, dumb, unnecessary and frustrating. Too many serious moments are ruined by jokes, too many things are introduced and have no purpose. The antagonist is excellent however, well acted and the only real (non stupidly self inflicted) threat there has ever been in Marvel movies alongside Thanos. Maybe a two parter would have made this even better. But it seems Marvel is afraid to do something like Infinity War again (leave things on a bad note).

Sylvester Stallone is completely wasted.

How it ends makes no sense and was utterly dissatisfying. It's like Hollywood is afraid to even suggest you can imagine other stories and everything NEEDS to end or closed. Certainly where things supposedly will go for some of characters is crazy, after we found out in the previous movie they are actually related. It's like Rian Johnson wrote some of the script, it is that ultra annoying / nihilistic in parts. In my mind this does not happen with these great characters at all.

The praise the movie is getting is utter, ultra nonsense. I suspect, like Endgame, this will eventually leave a sour taste for most fans after a great start.

5/10

Bizarre comparing these films. John Wick 4 felt fine at 169 minutes, epic, a great watch. Guardians 3 felt FAR too long at 150 minutes.
Old 18 May 2023, 03:06   #6913
AndrewG

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

Horrendous. All unlikeable characters. Most things are not established, so there are no setup - pay off storylines, they happen randomly and lots of things are explained through voice over which makes for an extremely frustrating watch. There is no long struggle for the sister to become Black Panther. Nothing makes sense. Everyone can become Iron Man by the end through some clever suits that have been built. Pure drivel. A long movie in which almost nothing is memorable.

2/10

1 point for the tribute scenes to Chadwick at the start, the nice Marvel Studios logo, the Rihanna song and the far, far superior teaser trailer with the No Woman, No Cry cover. Watch that instead and imagine a better movie. You'll save yourself nearly 3 hours.

Last edited by AndrewG; 18 May 2023 at 03:54.