Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Life » Other Rock'n'Roll Heroes

Old 02 Mar 2012, 20:44   #1
A Slice Of English

Default Wrecking Ball

Anyone else rocking out to the new Springsteen album, or is it just me? Seriously love it.
A Slice Of English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2012, 21:10   #2
Sarge
Mega Loafer

I do. Very interesting mix of styles. Will write more after a few listens.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2012, 21:20   #3
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Slice Of English View Post
Anyone else rocking out to the new Springsteen album, or is it just me? Seriously love it.
at first i was disappointed....Meat's vocals on HIAH are way more intense, Bruce is definitely choosing the approach of songs with less of a vocal range.

But after a few days, i became addicted. The music ~~~~ing rocks, the message is sweet, This Depression is haunting and makes me wonder if it has to do with Clarence But its a very moving song and that's what makes it so excellent. Also Bruce does some cool stuff vocally and shows he's still very much on his game.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2012, 21:28   #4
A Slice Of English

The man just never says die. I love his spirit which totally absorbs me in this album. He has some very pointed remarks to make and totally nails his colours to the mast. "We Take Care Of Our Own" could be an anthem for any country in the world to make your heart swell with some national pride again. Pay attention, Mister Cameron, this is how to inspire people to greater things.
Old 02 Mar 2012, 22:48   #5
K1ttycat
Super Loafer

Location:  Orig. from Milwaukee, WI now in Cheadle Hulme,ENG for 21 years

I've listened to it on Grooveshark a few times and really like it - just waiting for my Amazon pre-order to arrive, it was dispatched this afternoon.
K1ttycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2012, 06:23   #6
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
The man just never says die. I love his spirit which totally absorbs me in this album. He has some very pointed remarks to make and totally nails his colours to the mast. "We Take Care Of Our Own" could be an anthem for any country in the world to make your heart swell with some national pride again. Pay attention, Mister Cameron, this is how to inspire people to greater things.
Actually, "We Take Care of Our Own" is meant to be ironic; he's saying that while we supposedly take care of our own, we really don't. Beside the references to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, he says:

"I've been stumbling on good hearts turned to stone
The road of good intentions has gone dry as a bone..."

"Where're the eyes, the eyes with the will to see
Where're the hearts, that run over with mercy
Where's the love that has not forsaken me
Where's the work that'll set my hands, my soul free
Where's the spirit that'll reign, rain over me
Where's the promise, from sea to shining sea
Where's the promise, from sea to shining sea
Wherever this flag is flown

We take care of our own..."

He drove this home even harder when he played it live and inserted the word, "that", so that the line became:

"Where's the promise, from sea to shining sea
That wherever this flag is flown
We take care of our own"

That said, though I love the album. It's really different from anything else he's done- I'd say it's kind of like Seeger Sessions, but modern. If you trace the arc of the songs, he starts off very pissed, until you get to the low point with "This Depression", then we come back up again until you get get to "Land of Hope and Dreams", which while it's kind of an old song, he's redone it here, and I think it's is simply epic! (and Clarence is on the song, too ) I love the way it just crashes in after the intro.

IMO, his vocals on the album were quite good, actually, especially on "Rocky Ground".

I think these songs are going to be awesome live- "Wrecking Ball" was killer on the Jimmy Fallon show the other night:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....-27-12/1387743

Bring on the tour!
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2012, 09:15   #7
A Slice Of English

Fair enough point, I've only listened to it twice so the lyrics haven't sunk in yet!
Old 03 Mar 2012, 09:33   #8
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Fair enough point, I've only listened to it twice so the lyrics haven't sunk in yet!
Yeah, it takes a few listens.

Bruce was on Jimmy Fallon tonight again. They did "Death to My Hometown", "Jack of All Trades" (which was very good) and the most amazing "E Street Shuffle"!

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....treet-shuffle/
Old 03 Mar 2012, 18:43   #9
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in the rv mirror View Post
and the most amazing "E Street Shuffle"!
Wow! That is awesome!

The performances on Fallon appear very promising with regard to what we can expect from the upcoming tour.
Old 03 Mar 2012, 20:43   #10
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Can't stop watching Death To My Hometown on Jimmy Fallon. Words can't describe how fantastic that performance is.
Old 03 Mar 2012, 22:17   #11
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Can't stop watching Death To My Hometown on Jimmy Fallon. Words can't describe how fantastic that performance is.
It was a good performance, but he seemed to struggle a little bit with the phrasing. I'm sure he'll have it down once the tour starts, though. He seemed maybe a little nervous, too- I don't think he likes doing television very much.

But the "E Street Shuffle"- he was smiling and relaxed and in the zone! THAT was fantastic! They had something like 23 people, with the ESB, The Roots, and Tom Morello. lol With the horns on tour, maybe that one or "Kitty's Back" will get a lot of play.
Old 06 Mar 2012, 10:41   #12
Mr. Happy

It's not out here in Australia for another three or four days, which is annoying >.< I've been trying to wait it out so I can enjoy it properly, but I may or may not have given in and listened to a few of the songs on YouTube.

We Take Care of Our Own (sounds like a modern Born in the USA) and Land of Hopes and Dreams are awesome, although I'm not crazy on the fake drums on the latter. I don't think anything can really replace the sound of a real drum kit. Wrecking Ball is pretty good too, and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Death to My Hometown just yet. That one might have to grow on me.

I'll write a little more after I've heard the rest in three or four days
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2012, 22:08   #13
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Happy View Post
It's not out here in Australia for another three or four days, which is annoying >.< I've been trying to wait it out so I can enjoy it properly, but I may or may not have given in and listened to a few of the songs on YouTube. [...]

I'll write a little more after I've heard the rest in three or four days
The whole thing is streaming on his website for the rest of today:

http://brucespringsteen.net/

It seems like the album is doing pretty well:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/bruce...rst-day-sales/
Old 06 Mar 2012, 22:57   #14
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Thank you, Bruce! (And thank you, Julie, for the link.) I like it when "older", established artists use modern ways to promote their stuff instead of considering them a threat. Bruce proves that you can be progressive and conservative at the same time - and remain successful. I'm enjoying listening to the stream but I'm looking forward to listen to the vinyl, too.
Old 06 Mar 2012, 23:06   #15
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

You're welcome! It's a new website for Bruce, too, and I think it looks great!

As for "Wrecking Ball", I just picked up my Special Edition CD a little while ago; "This Depression" playing now. Loving it (the album) even more. I'm convinced now it's a clanking chain on "Shackled and Drawn".

I'm going to pick up the vinyl later today.
Old 06 Mar 2012, 23:06   #16
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Thank you, Bruce! (And thank you, Julie, for the link.) I like it when "older", established artists use modern ways to promote their stuff instead of considering them a threat. Bruce proves that you can be progressive and conservative at the same time - and remain successful. I'm enjoying listening to the stream but I'm looking forward to listen to the vinyl, too.
yep!!! i like him alot, but you see he is considered cool and hip = gets the credit he deserves imo. unlike some fantastic artists, lets say like oh yeah Meat Loaf
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2012, 23:22   #17
Sarge
Mega Loafer

I'm interested in your theory regarding why Bruce is considered "cool and hip" and Meat isn't. But maybe we should save that for another thread. I think complaints that Meat Loaf doesn't get the credit he deserves are totally unfounded, as I said before: http://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=561889.
Old 06 Mar 2012, 23:55   #18
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
I'm interested in your theory regarding why Bruce is considered "cool and hip" and Meat isn't. But maybe we should save that for another thread. I think complaints that Meat Loaf doesn't get the credit he deserves are totally unfounded, as I said before: http://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=561889.
hes very talented, i have some albums. but he is the darling of the media imo, hes the peoples champion, the list goes on. i have always got the impression that Meat is viewed not as a joke, but hes more open to silly comments, critics, etc etc,, maybe because he s not a songwriter perhaps?
Old 07 Mar 2012, 00:07   #19
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikox1 View Post
i have always got the impression that Meat is viewed not as a joke, but hes more open to silly comments, critics, etc etc,, maybe because he s not a songwriter perhaps?
as dave fanning said way back in '95 i'll paraphrase as best as i recall.. "meat loaf has not always been a credible figure to the rock n roll cognicenti ( no idea how it's sp), but to lovers of widescreen over the top entertainment, there's no doubt about it, meat loaf himself is the undisputed king." which is pretty much what sarge said lol

i'd agree with you, to the music press.. meat doesnt write his own songs, play any instruments or have a band (as such)... and maintains he's an actor, not a singer.

appologies for leaving the bruce topic for a moment
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2012, 00:12   #20
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke knooby View Post
as dave fanning said way back in '95 i'll paraphrase as best as i recall.. "meat loaf has not always been a credible figure to the rock n roll cognicenti ( no idea how it's sp), but to lovers of widescreen over the top entertainment, there's no doubt about it, meat loaf himself is the undisputed king." which is pretty much what sarge said lol

i'd agree with you, to the music press.. meat doesnt write his own songs, play any instruments or have a band (as such)... and maintains he's an actor, not a singer.
well thats true, i remember that quote.
Old 07 Mar 2012, 00:17   #21
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikox1 View Post
he s not a songwriter
Neither are many other artists who are well-respected anyway. By the way, there are many people who think that Bruce is "overrated". So it's totally pointless to start a discussion on why a particular artist presumably gets more recognition than another. And now back to The Boss, please, before a guy called Meat Loaf gets more attention than poor Bruce in a thread that's not even dedicated to him.
Old 07 Mar 2012, 06:35   #22
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
@nikox1:
Like Sarge, I'd like to hear more on your theory as well- serious question. You seem to somehow take it personally that you don't think Meat is viewed as "cool", while Bruce is. You seem to imply that the media is somehow to blame.

For my part, I don't see Bruce portrayed as a "media darling" at all- not since 1985 at least. I really would like to see an example (Rolling Stone mag not withstanding) As Sarge also said, lots of people call Bruce "overrated", or flat-out say they can't stand his singing voice. I've seen some of the most hateful things written about him because of his politics, which I don't think he's really all that vocal about, and IMO should not be used as a means to critique his music. Yet, the comments on almost any article about him seem to turn in that direction, even on YouTube videos! I talk to young people who either don't know who Bruce is, or just see him as one of those "old guys".

Bruce is supportive of young bands, and some of them cite him as an influence; The Dropkick Murphys and Gaslight Anthem are known fans, for example. Lady Gaga's a huge fan as well. Why do you think that is?

On that note, I've seen Bruce get up and play with virtual unknowns, which IMO was very, very cool (yet not publicized anywhere):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P_9KJDwpag

But anyway- back to the album- so far, professional reviews have been mixed, but the fans seem to mostly like this one a lot, especially as compared to his last album.

I got my vinyl, too- just haven't had a chance to play it yet.
Old 07 Mar 2012, 10:18   #23
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in the rv mirror View Post
@nikox1:
Like Sarge, I'd like to hear more on your theory as well- serious question. You seem to somehow take it personally that you don't think Meat is viewed as "cool", while Bruce is. You seem to imply that the media is somehow to blame.

For my part, I don't see Bruce portrayed as a "media darling" at all- not since 1985 at least. I really would like to see an example (Rolling Stone mag not withstanding) As Sarge also said, lots of people call Bruce "overrated", or flat-out say they can't stand his singing voice. I've seen some of the most hateful things written about him because of his politics, which I don't think he's really all that vocal about, and IMO should not be used as a means to critique his music. Yet, the comments on almost any article about him seem to turn in that direction, even on YouTube videos! I talk to young people who either don't know who Bruce is, or just see him as one of those "old guys".

Bruce is supportive of young bands, and some of them cite him as an influence; The Dropkick Murphys and Gaslight Anthem are known fans, for example. Lady Gaga's a huge fan as well. Why do you think that is?

On that note, I've seen Bruce get up and play with virtual unknowns, which IMO was very, very cool (yet not publicized anywhere):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P_9KJDwpag

But anyway- back to the album- so far, professional reviews have been mixed, but the fans seem to mostly like this one a lot, especially as compared to his last album.

I got my vinyl, too- just haven't had a chance to play it yet.
Hitting #1 on itunes and amazon proves that record companies will market the "old guys". He had a week on Jimmy Fallon and has had tons of promo as well as great branding. The album is good - but no more good than Meat Loaf's album. I'd say HIAH and HCTB are greater achievements at this stage in Meat's career than Wrecking Ball is for Bruce in terms of his performance, NOT and i repeat NOT the quality of the songs.

So I think this should end the debate on whether or not the record companies will shell out for the senior most artists....they will...they just need to spend more on Meat because he is worth every penny.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2012, 10:28   #24
JennaG
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Neither are many other artists who are well-respected anyway. By the way, there are many people who think that Bruce is "overrated". So it's totally pointless to start a discussion on why a particular artist presumably gets more recognition than another. And now back to The Boss, please, before a guy called Meat Loaf gets more attention than poor Bruce in a thread that's not even dedicated to him.
Bruce Springsteen gets brought up and praised enough in threads that are supposed to be dedicated to Meat Loaf.
JennaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Mar 2012, 11:00   #25
A Slice Of English

This one is about Bruce Springsteens new album so let's keep it on topic. There should be nothing about comparing Meat to Bruce in this thread. Create a new one if you want but don't muddy the waters of this one.

The Jimmy Fallon performances were excellent. I loved the Tom Morello solo in Death to my Hometown and the E-Street Shuffle was also fab.