Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 14 Nov 2017, 00:22   #26
NightAngel
Loafer

I have received the delivery of the book today..will read!
NightAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 10:13   #27
ajf33
Senior Loafer

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meat-Unauth...%26+Uncensored

out of interest has anyone read this kindle biog of Meat?
ajf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2017, 10:43   #28
jmfreeman
Senior Loafer

These free kindle things tend not to be that good - you can use the look inside feature on that one, and it seems nothing you couldn't already read on a Wikipedia page. The whole thing is only 27 pages long (and they're not exactly crammed with text).
jmfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2017, 17:11   #29
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

I canceled my order when I read all the sources he was using including Steinman's site, The Sandy Robertson book, etc. Sounds like a cobbled together re-hash aggregated from other sources most of which I have probably read.

I would think many of us would know more information than this author does.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 17:15   #30
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

I wish someone could do a book about the tours and the making of the albums, especially the lesser known ones. I don't know how much is remembered about making say MATLAF by producer, musicians, etc.but that would be something unique.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 17:17   #31
jmfreeman
Senior Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaferman61 View Post
I canceled my order when I read all the sources he was using including Steinman's site, The Sandy Robertson book, etc. Sounds like a cobbled together re-hash aggregated from other sources most of which I have probably read.

I would think many of us would know more information than this author does.
It surprised me how much of the book you could read on the 'look inside' feature, and it's certainly not what many of us would hope for. I don't know if we'll ever see a day when there's the kind of big, in-depth, life and work study that seems to appear of other musicians (Springsteen, every few months!). It would take a committed superfan to undertake such a work, and plenty of serious research (not just skimming information from one or two other books). It would have to be a labour of love or backed by big money from a big publisher. Still, it'd be an utter treat, and we can dream.
Old 14 Nov 2017, 23:51   #32
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Doing a truly original work would be cost prohibitive, but aggregating the information from other books, websites, etc. just seems a bit like copying your term paper.
Meat's first book was good and seemed that the co-author either did a long interview or worked off Meat's notes. Most autobiographies of course cover what the subject chooses. I'd love to hear from former band members, producers, managers, etc. but some of what they may say (if not under a non-disclosure) would probably just be controversial as many "unofficial" books of this type are.

Meat's memories of details seems to be pretty good as he often recalls specific shows, etc. Maybe he has another book in him yet.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 08:25   #33
lorenzoduke
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfreeman View Post
For anyone following this, the Amazon 'look inside' feature now lets you browse through a good deal of the book. It doesn't seem much like a traditional biography, and indeed doesn't seem to go into much detail about anything. It skims over Meat's life and albums, but probably offers nothing that you don't already know. Still, if anyone reads the full thing do let us know what you think of it.
Cheers. Few quid saved there.
lorenzoduke is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 15 Nov 2017, 19:03   #34
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Indeed, the account of the musical is more than a bit shaky, at best, working from very old (and sometimes unreliable) accounts and sources. Example: Wall talks about Jay Scheib (director) as if he had been involved since the musical's inception, whereas the reality is that he came on board little over 2 years ago (end of 2015)! He's done GREAT things. Before Jay Kenny Ortega was set to direct.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2017, 03:11   #35
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaferman61 View Post
Meat's first book was good and seemed that the co-author either did a long interview or worked off Meat's notes.
I'd guess he recorded it on tapes and the co-author worked from those.

Quote:
Meat's memories of details seems to be pretty good as he often recalls specific shows, etc. Maybe he has another book in him yet.
The 100 Moments is still on the cards as far as I am aware .. so the answer is Yes
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 11:42   #36
jmfreeman
Senior Loafer

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Meat's 'To Hell and Back' book was a fantastic read - Dalton did a great job of capturing Meat's voice and spirit, and has mentioned in an interview I read somewhere that Meat spent more than the usual amount of time with him to work on this in between touring. It is just a shame that the post-Bat years were not more fleshed out, and after Bat 2 there was virtually nothing.
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 16 Nov 2017, 14:35   #37
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatWriterGuy View Post
Indeed, the account of the musical is more than a bit shaky, at best, working from very old (and sometimes unreliable) accounts and sources. Example: Wall talks about Jay Scheib (director) as if he had been involved since the musical's inception, whereas the reality is that he came on board little over 2 years ago (end of 2015)! He's done GREAT things. Before Jay Kenny Ortega was set to direct.
Well, to be fair, much of what went on with the show wasn't very public, aside from the occasional Facebook post from Jim (or someone using his account) teasing this or that bit of info. Still, I agree that Wall didn't look very hard for info. I mean, Jim announced an entire creative team that didn't wind up being involved - except for Michael Reed, and I think two musicians who were part of the workshop (one of the other people he announced occasionally mentions the project today in interviews, but there has been no real indication that this person is coming on board any time soon, that I know about anyway) - on his blog back in 2008/09, and there were even news stories connected to it. The blog post itself has since been deleted, but the basic text can be found on many other blogs that reported about the news. Even a hint that the previous team existed wouldn't have hurt.

Last edited by letsgotoofar; 16 Nov 2017 at 14:43.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2017, 15:37   #38
jmfreeman
Senior Loafer

https://startsat60.com/entertainment...hell-mick-wall

The first review I've seen! From that much-visited website Startsat60.com. Even this reviewer (who manages to call Meat Loaf 'Adey' throughout, and states that his career is over) seems rather unimpressed with Wall's work.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 16:26   #39
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfreeman View Post
For anyone following this, the Amazon 'look inside' feature now lets you browse through a good deal of the book. It doesn't seem much like a traditional biography, and indeed doesn't seem to go into much detail about anything. It skims over Meat's life and albums, but probably offers nothing that you don't already know. Still, if anyone reads the full thing do let us know what you think of it.
It's not a traditional biography at all. Loaferman said it sounded like a cobbled together re-hash aggregated from other sources, and much of it is, augmented by the author's interviews with Meat over the years. What it offers seems to be the writer's take on Meat, Jim, and their relationship. One thing that I am fairly sure of is that these interviews were undertaken by a journalist as part of many runs of promotional interviews, and not conducted with Meat (or Jim I suspect) in the knowledge that this book was planned. Much of it you will probably have read .. he quotes Meat extensively from THAB and others' interviews as well as his own.

Not uninteresting, but not illuminating either. Some of his perspectives on both men you may agree with, some may make you frown. It DOES cover the time since Bat II, but when Loaferman says he'd think many of us would know more information than this author does, I think in part that may be true .. certainly he seems to have no knowledge of Meat's protracted difficulties with his back beyond the general level of press coverage .. "a trapped nerve". He seems to have written off Meat in terms of any career going forward from now. His last interview with him was in 2016, and he leaves us with the picture of an old man, walking with a cane, words slurred, face drooping, who is done; based heavily I felt on much of what was being said when Meat, despite excruciating pain, was here promoting the album and the musical. My initial reaction to this was to remember that books can be with publishers for some time before they hit the shelves .. but then I saw he refers to the significant weight loss Meat's achieved, which has been this year. However, nothing about the TV series Meat has made with Vincent D'Onofrio, who said of this decrepit old man .. "Meat has real acting chops!!"

Then I registered something he said about his last meeting with Meat .. "He didn't know who I was". He portrays himself as one of Meat's friends in the world of journalism, and indeed comes across as having been an admirer much of the time. Perhaps Meat's not greeting him as a well known and appreciated friend last year was put down to him losing his marbles, rather than him not being quite as close as he believed? That was MY impression and conclusion .. and this book is mostly the writer's impressions and conclusions, so I feel OK making mine, and I caught a whiff of sour grapes

I felt left with a pervasive sense of Meat being seen by him now as an artist who managed to get rich but never quite reached his potential, or real solid success, and is now a frail old man, washed up and finished. At one point he mentions Meat's time on Celebrity Apprentice, and says something on the lines of Meat reaching the stage artists whose careers are in the embers, and are left chasing reality shows .. this despite it being a one-off, back in 2011, and all he has achieved since then. Artists like John Rich, Marlee Matlin, Lil John? That rather pissed me off tbh.

Touring may be over, we may or may not see him take to the stage again in some form or other, but I think he has managed great success and we have not seen the last of him by a long chalk.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 16:39   #40
jmfreeman
Senior Loafer

I like your point about the author being pi**sed that Meat didn't recognise him, Caryl - and agree it was less to do with a worrying mental state than never really knowing him in the first place! Too many journalists of all kinds feel that celebrities are their close personal friends because they've interviewed them once or twice over the decades. They choose not to remember just how many similar encounters - let alone more meaningful ones - that the celebrity in question has. In a single day of promotion a singer or actor can speak to a couple of dozen journalists. However well those sessions go, I doubt they can be considered a friendship on their own merit.
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 17 Nov 2017, 16:41   #41
jmfreeman
Senior Loafer

The first warning signs for me came when I looked at the contents page. I'm only going from memory here but don't some of the chapters have the same titles (or near enough) as 'To Hell and Back'?
Old 17 Nov 2017, 16:50   #42
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Yes, in particular I noticed "I am God. You are Fools" becomes TWO chapters in Wall's book
Old 17 Nov 2017, 16:59   #43
jmfreeman
Senior Loafer

That's the one (two) that jumped out at me!
Old 19 Nov 2017, 11:09   #44
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

I enjoyed the last third. In particular that the lawsuits around Bat III were so awful that both Meat and Jim still can't (or won't) comment on what actually happened. Although Jim's take on what was wrong with Bat III was fascinating to me - and I agree with every point.

There is an insinuation that Meat is suffering from an illness which hasn't been made public - I wasn't too happy about that. I remember that he did not seem his usual self in interviews last year and I'm sure that we were all worried. But he looked and sounded fine at the Braver Than We Are signing.

Overall I'd say that it was worth having for the serious collector. And even if the contents are similar it does look good next to To Hell and Back...
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 18:02   #45
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
There is an insinuation that Meat is suffering from an illness which hasn't been made public - I wasn't too happy about that. I remember that he did not seem his usual self in interviews last year and I'm sure that we were all worried. But he looked and sounded fine at the Braver Than We Are signing.
That's what I really didn't like in the last third. Insinuations based on the same in the media at the time imo. Meat has explained why he was having difficulties in those interviews, once he got back to the US and a change in pain medication there was an immediate improvement, and this year he has made a TV series plus promo for it. His back is still a problem, but explains perfectly any and all of the "symptoms" Wall uses to base his insinuations on, as ayone who has needed serious back surgery knows.

I giggled at the assertion on the fly .. "Now with Meat Loaf confessing to author and long-time interviewer Mick Wall that 'I have made my last record, this is it for me' " .. Mr Wall's boots must be pinching something awful!

I agree the cover looks good .. best thing about this book imo
Old 19 Nov 2017, 21:42   #46
nightinr
Super Loafer

I seem to remember Meat intimated on here that he was having underlying health problems that weren't just connected to his back? Or am I mistaken?
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 22:08   #47
nightinr
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post
I seem to remember Meat intimated on here that he was having underlying health problems that weren't just connected to his back? Or am I mistaken?
This was the quote I was referring to......

"A thank you for being so supportive through the good times and the bad times .
" Braver Than we are " is my Last Record . I wish Jim great success on his Musical , it has been his dream for more than 50 years . Jim's dream is coming true . Hoping my Dream will come through one day !! I don't believe there will be any more tours . I have a health problem other than the pinched nerve in my back , Which hurt like hell trough all that promo in the UK , Now I get to do the same Thing in NYC for a week .

I LOVE YOU AND I THANK YOU !!!! Meat"
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 19 Nov 2017, 23:06   #48
Justin Bieber
Rookie

We could all write one together on here It would be the most unique and in-depth book ever. Doesn't need to be professional
Justin Bieber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2017, 01:25   #49
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post
This was the quote I was referring to......

"A thank you for being so supportive through the good times and the bad times .
" Braver Than we are " is my Last Record . I wish Jim great success on his Musical , it has been his dream for more than 50 years . Jim's dream is coming true . Hoping my Dream will come through one day !! I don't believe there will be any more tours . I have a health problem other than the pinched nerve in my back , Which hurt like hell trough all that promo in the UK , Now I get to do the same Thing in NYC for a week .

I LOVE YOU AND I THANK YOU !!!! Meat"
That may have been before he found out the "pinched nerve" was a tumor on his spine that required incredibly invasive, life-altering spinal fusion surgery.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2017, 13:53   #50
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch37 View Post
That may have been before he found out the "pinched nerve" was a tumor on his spine that required incredibly invasive, life-altering spinal fusion surgery.
No, that was back in 2015. He developed the disc lesion in his lumbar spine after Last at Bat, and undertook the last tour he did in N America in a back brace .. and has needed more surgery to deal with that, and then to correct problems with that.

However, he did say around the time he posted that nightinr quotes that he has another health problem he "needed to take care of". Wall, in his book, insinuates there is some serious debilitating condition which is being kept secret .. and in view of Meat's work on Ghost Wars, and his appearances at fan Expos this year, I regard that as utter and wrong speculation. You are absolutely right that he has had a lot of very invasive spinal surgery, and I think it is clear that the continuing pain from this (he has also had further surgeries for pain relief) are the root of all the grab-bag of symptoms Wall uses on which to base his insinuations.