Scooby-Doo! WrestleMania Mystery
Blackkat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 17 Apr 2017, 00:54   #6578
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Fast & Furious 8
Fun and crazy.
Would never have been as good as the last one with Paul Walker but still a solid entry, on par with 6 probably. Solid 2 hour entertainment if you like this type of thing.
8/10
Worth seeing in 4DX if you have the chance.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2017, 03:17   #6579
Adje
trying to be realistic

The disappointments room (2016)

Horror that was kinda boring.

4/10
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2017, 07:32   #6580
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
The Blues Brothers (1980)

One of my all time favorites.

9/10
If I had to choose only one favorite movie, this one is it. It has everything- comedy, car chases, great music, and it was filmed in my city. Not much more to ask for!
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 17 Apr 2017, 18:13   #6581
Adje
trying to be realistic

Kong - Skull Island (2017)

The Universal Studios ride in Orlando was better

Decent monster movie that suffers from the usual bad writing. Picture looks good though. Acting was decent.

Watched it on the new 150 inch (3.8 meter) home theater screen (I used to project on the wall). Great quality. No need to go to the cinema anytime soon anymore

Anyway, Kong was okay
7/10
Old 17 Apr 2017, 21:54   #6582
Adje
trying to be realistic

The Darkness (2016)

Kevin Bacon in this B-horror story which had he feel of a made-for-tv movie. Ancient demons haunting a family at home.

The wife liked it.

6/10
Old 23 Apr 2017, 04:37   #6583
AndrewG

Home Invasion (2016)
With a now much chunkier looking Natasha Henstridge.

Quite a decent "home invasion" style thriller I thought. Some bits predictable, some bits aren't.
7/10
Old 23 Apr 2017, 13:53   #6584
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Home Invasion (2016)
With a now much chunkier looking Natasha Henstridge.

Quite a decent "home invasion" style thriller I thought. Some bits predictable, some bits aren't.
7/10
LOL, you just watch about everything now that you have your HD projection beamer, don't you?
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 15:52   #6585
AndrewG

Quote:
LOL, you just watch about everything now that you have your HD projection beamer, don't you?
Hah, that movie just happened to be on Netflix. Still thinking of ditching it but must say sometimes something decent pops up. I'm holding off watching all the really good stuff again (the 8 Star Wars movies, back to the future and other favourites) with the Beamer until I have my surround system set up. Will be ordering this week.
I'm thinking if going full 7.1.2 with Dolby Atmos. Never owned a proper surround system partly because of the cabling and I have a rabbit who chews through everything. but will fix it with cable trunking.

Congrats on your mega screen btw. Mine is only 106inch but physically the throw distance of the projector won't do more regardless.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 23 Apr 2017, 20:39   #6586
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Beauty And The Beast 2017

So, it is very well made, and an enjoyable enough way of passing a couple of hours. But for me there are a few small flaws. One, you can't out tea pot Angela Lansbury. So while Tale As Old As time is nicely done, it isn't as emotional or wondrous as the previous version. Two, Emma Watson does the acting side pretty well. But the singing not so much. Sure she hits and holds notes but she doesn't really belt them out. Third and finally, it is basically an identical retread of the earlier film and doesn't really offer anything new. Sure a big deal was made of Le Fou being gay, but really the only time that's different on screen to the earlier film is at the ball at the end where he ends up dancing with another guy. It's probably better that no big deal is made of it, after all some people are gay, get over it as They say. But on it's own it doesn't have a huge impact and is not really a compelling reason to watch this version over the earlier film. The beast gets a new song which is pretty decent and I think the household staff get a song that was previously only in the special edition. And there's some unnecessary gumf about Belle's mother.

Those flaws aside, it was pacey, energetic, and very enjoyable. But the earlier film is the one I'd recommend every time.

4/5. Original film gets 5.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Apr 2017, 17:11   #6587
mikael90
Rookie

'Hidden Figures' 2016 - an awesome Oscar movie about three negro ladies who work in NASA. It's definitely worth watching!
mikael90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Apr 2017, 00:15   #6588
Adje
trying to be realistic

Rings (2017)

One of the most boring horor movies of the year.
No wonder it flopped.

Unfortunately Warner decided that the Friday the 13th franchised doesn't get a reboot because this movie failed (as if the Ring franchise was ever interesting to start with)

3,5/10
Old 25 Apr 2017, 00:18   #6589
Adje
trying to be realistic

The Void (2016)

Didn't like the last 20 minutes or so, but overall interesting to watch this horror story. Somehow it felt to me like a mix between 'the Thing' and 'Prince of Darkness'...

6/10
Old 25 Apr 2017, 00:20   #6590
Adje
trying to be realistic

Havenhurst (2016)

Another horror/thriller. Another miss (although my wife enjoyed it)

5/10
Old 25 Apr 2017, 02:49   #6591
AndrewG

Quote:
Rings (2017)

No wonder it flopped.

Unfortunately Warner decided that the Friday the 13th franchised doesn't get a reboot because this movie failed (as if the Ring franchise was ever interesting to start with)

3,5/10
I was almost going to catch that at the cinema. I then thought it would be best to watch Ring 2 first ( I didn't know that actually was made).

I thought it was one of the worst horror movies ever and indeed I've heard that this latest sequel was even worse than that so no chance I would waste a trip to the cinema on such a dreadful movie.
The first one was quite meh to begin with. Only the girl crawling out of the TV was scary. Other than that it was quite boring and long drawn out.

Last I saw was:
Insidious 2 (2013)
5/10

James Wan did sooo much better with The Conjuring 2.
The characters in The Conjuring sequel are far more likeable and you really feel for them being haunted. In Insidious 2 you don't really give a crap about them and thus couldn't care less what happens to them. There is no chance of getting to know the characters. The kids are constantly in bed sleeping etc. The mother is constantly walking about the hallway. Compare that to key scenes in The Conjuring 2 where you see the kids smoking/misbehaving / walking home from school / asking for biscuits etc. Why the daughter looks so much like the mother IN LAW is very strange. Insidious 2 is not a good story at all. The execution is probably fine but they should have realised this is not even as good as the first Insidious which again I thought was quite meh.
Would rather have seen them make a sequel to Oculus with Karen Gillan. It was far more intriguing and unpredictable.

Last edited by AndrewG; 25 Apr 2017 at 03:00.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 25 Apr 2017, 04:18   #6592
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Rings (2017)

No wonder it flopped.

3,5/10
Ah the infinite wisdom of the film studios. We won't try and make a decent Friday 13th film because people thought Ring was rubbish??? Wtf??
Old 25 Apr 2017, 12:13   #6593
Adje
trying to be realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicLord View Post
Ah the infinite wisdom of the film studios. We won't try and make a decent Friday 13th film because people thought Ring was rubbish??? Wtf??
Apparently there was a script for fr13th. But Warner executives pushed the Ring movie forward. When it failed they concluded that older generations don't care for horror anymore and younger generations don't care for older franchise movies. So in their wisdom they decided to cancel production on the Friday re oot because it would bomb at the box office...
Old 25 Apr 2017, 14:10   #6594
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Apparently there was a script for fr13th. But Warner executives pushed the Ring movie forward. When it failed they concluded that older generations don't care for horror anymore and younger generations don't care for older franchise movies. So in their wisdom they decided to cancel production on the Friday re oot because it would bomb at the box office...
Haha genius! I think it's more likely because people don't want to pay good money to see bad films regardless of what type they are!
Old 25 Apr 2017, 14:40   #6595
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicLord View Post
Haha genius! I think it's more likely because people don't want to pay good money to see bad films regardless of what type they are!
Which is what pissed me off about the Ghostbusters (2016) trailer and why they didn't get money from me for that one.

The original one was creepy and dark in parts.

The new one just looked like a generic bubblegum slapstick fat clumsy Melissa McCarthy stupid ass piece of crap with neon ghosts added in with CGI. To me it also seemed exceptionally stereo typically dumb. With the black woman shouting "This is a race or a lady thang isn't it / I'm from da hood so I know the streets." The pretty blonde has to lick her guns before she shoots etc. Compare all that garbage to the original which was far less racist and far less sexist then.

Horror / Scary movies seems to be the one genre where most movie makers seem to fail. Comedy is similar / next in line. They seem to just give certain movie makers and actors carte blanche based on a total garbage reputation rather than judge the script / vision which I'm sure in many if not most cases would be obvious to be a pile of stinking horse shite before a single shot is even filmed.

Last edited by AndrewG; 25 Apr 2017 at 14:50.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 27 Apr 2017, 02:57   #6596
AndrewG

The Book of Eli.

Still a great film.
8/10
Old 29 Apr 2017, 21:33   #6597
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

The Faculty

I just love those late 90s horrors where suddenly the teens in the films were actually people with smarts that acted pretty much like actual teens. Is this film terrifying? Well no. But I can't honestly say most of the Halloween films are either. But it does have some good jumps and black comic situations with decent actors and no one phoning it in.

3.5/5

Incidentally...

Scream 1 4/5
Scream 2 4.5/5
Scream 3 2.5/5
Scream 4 3/5
Halloween H20 4.5/5
I Know What You Did Last Summer 3.5/5
I Still Know 3/5
Final Destination 4/5
Old 30 Apr 2017, 01:45   #6598
Adje
trying to be realistic

Bye Bye Man (2016)

Another horror flick that could have been a lot better than it turned out to be.

5/10
Old 30 Apr 2017, 01:51   #6599
Adje
trying to be realistic

Alien 3

Very underrated sequel although this one is easily superior over Aliens. Making it the 2nd best movie of the franchise behind the original Alien.

7,5/10
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 30 Apr 2017, 02:12   #6600
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Alien 3

Very underrated sequel although this one is easily superior over Aliens. Making it the 2nd best movie of the franchise behind the original Alien.

7,5/10
Absolutely agree. Far better than its reputation suggests and feels much more like a follow on (tone wise) from Alien than Aliens. Also waaaay better than resurrection.
1 User Likes This Post.