mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts

Old 21 May 2012, 13:21   #1
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Default 121. Our Love & Our Souls

This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Our Love & Our Souls (6)

It's a nice song and a simple melody. Nothing special in lyrics but a good message: don't be upset if something went wrong, life goes on! I could imagine a video of this song.

On the other side... Meat's voice sounds crude to me, this song is not his tone. Patti is awesome, her voice at the end is exceptional, one of her best job. The last verse when they are singing together is far the best moment of the album, maybe the only part of the album when Meat's singing well.

It's not 7 from me, because it's a very simple song.

My score: 6
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Dislike This Post.
Old 21 May 2012, 15:28   #2
CarylB
Mega Loafer

If I were given to identifying "favourite tracks" this would be the main contender. I love Meat's deep vocals, so perfectly paired with Patti's. The message in the lyrics, paring down what matters to that of being together, forgetting the trappings of consumerism and materialism, and holding close the love and compassion for each other and keeping one's integrity as a human being is in my view much more than " don't be upset if something went wrong, life goes on" .. it gives in this version of the album a conclusion that, in a world which seems to be running headlong to losing its humanity, holds out hope ... if we can just focus on what really matters, what's in our hearts and our souls. The original ending with Blue Sky was striking and dramatic. This invites us to embrace the compassion we are in danger of losing, and the fundamentals that reflect our humanity and give us the firm foundation we need to hold close. What may at a superficial glance seem simple words, when you listen to them can in fact convey more powerfully a strength and conviction of message. This isn't intended imo to be over the top romanticism, nor a simple happy song .. it's about a deeply held basic truth which stands all the more strongly for it's clarity, and in so doing may actually be heard by more people than if it was wound around with metaphor and simile.

A wonderful song, delivered with belief and honesty. For me it is a perfect conclusion to a signally moving album that I would not seek to be changed in any way. HCTB was Meat's musical soul on a disc imo. HIAH holds his values, beliefs, concerns and hopes, delivered with searing honesty, conviction, passion and compassion, produced by Paul with an intuitive and sensitive skill that enhances it at so many levels. A fitting 10+ on an album that is 10+ throughout for me, musically, vocally and above all, lyrically. To paraphrase, sometimes when it rains it pours, but I wouldn't trade this beautiful album for any of yours ...

Yes .. 10

Caryl

Last edited by CarylB; 21 May 2012 at 15:38.
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 21 May 2012, 15:36   #3
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Our Love And Our Souls doesn't enthuse me. Even Patti's fantastic vocals can't change that. No surprises, too uniform for my liking. Not one of my favorites.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
Old 21 May 2012, 15:41   #4
MarkS
Super Loafer

One of my favorite Meat and Patti duets of the last couple of albums.

Love the Sean McConnel version, but Meat and Patti blew it out of the water. Beautiful song, couldn't be better
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 21 May 2012, 15:45   #5
Mr. Happy

8. Definitely one of the better songs on the album. Meat's vocals are close to or at pitch perfect, and that outro with the choir is amazing. It's simple, but effective :)
Mr. Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 21 May 2012, 15:51   #6
Meat Loaf_fan
Super Loafer

"Our Love & Our Souls" is my 3rd favourite track from "Hell In A Handbasket" (very close after "Another Day" and "All Of Me"). Meat's vocal is strong and (in the same time) gently . Patti's parts are remarkable and (in my opinion) fit perfectly with Meat's parts. What's more - lyrics are very important - they tell us about world (maybe too idealistic) where money are not important because only love could bring us happiness.

My score : 9,5/10
Meat Loaf_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 21 May 2012, 16:41   #7
Cherry.Loaf
Los Angeloser

I completely agree with Caryl on this track.

The track is beautiful, moving and really honest. I really empathise with it at the moment. I love the lyrics and the way Meat and Patti's voices sound together on this one. Really really love this song and tbh it would probally be my first dance song if I was to get married I just love it that much. Anyway basically I give it:

10/10
Cherry.Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 21 May 2012, 16:56   #8
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Patti sounds fantastic as always, but unfortunately it's not enough. 3
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Dislike This Post.
Old 21 May 2012, 17:38   #9
Smithie
Super Loafer

This is one of my favorites on the album. Meat and Patti sound awesome and I appreciate the message of the song. I can't find anything to fault so it's a 10 to me.
Looking forward to seeing it on the new tour. I think it will be a really powerful live performance.
Smithie is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Users Like This Post.
Old 21 May 2012, 17:51   #10
chairboys
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
Looking forward to seeing it on the new tour. I think it will be a really powerful live performance.
yes, i think so too
chairboys is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 21 May 2012, 22:00   #11
Adje
trying to be realistic

Catchy lyrics. Great vocals by Patti and a song I can enjoy,

Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 22:10   #12
allrevvedup
"Most things that i worry about, never happen anyway"

Both the demo (or whatever it's called as apparently it's not a cover) and the album version are a bit too timid for me.

allrevvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2012, 23:07   #13
BostonAngel
Super Loafer

I will admit that it is one of my least favorite songs on the album. SHOCKING, I know! For me lyrics are one of the most important things in a song and I just can't relate to this song. Maybe that says something about my life? LOL. I do love both Patti and Meat's vocals on this and it does have a great slow melody. I would still give it a 7. I just love this album so much!
BostonAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 22 May 2012, 00:03   #14
ninja
Super Loafer

[QUOTE=Cherry.Loaf;570663]I completely agree with Caryl on this track.

me too. love meat's and patti's voices, love the stunning lyrics and love the mix. absolutely fantastic song with a message that's so important these days ...
ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 22 May 2012, 10:21   #15
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonAngel View Post
For me lyrics are one of the most important things in a song and I just can't relate to this song.
Not for me... I think lyrics is the third most important thing in a song. Lyrics is important in a poem, melody and arrangement are most important in music... Because of it we call it music and not poem...

Last edited by White of High; 22 May 2012 at 10:29.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 22 May 2012, 11:00   #16
JennaG
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
I totally agree. I can't wait for the tour to come to the UK :)

I really like this song and I think that the lyrics are really sweet and give out a really good message that material things don't matter as long as you have your loved ones.

I love the vocals on this song, Patti is perfect and her voice shows the concern that her character would be showing towards Meat's. I love the fact that Meat is singing in a slightly lower voice than he would on some other songs and they seem to suit the less dramatic approach of this song.
JennaG is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 22 May 2012, 12:08   #17
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High View Post
Not for me... I think lyrics is the third most important thing in a song. Lyrics is important in a poem, melody and arrangement are most important in music... Because of it we call it music and not poem...
What is important to you is down to your personal taste, but I think you'll find that the inclusion of lyrics is why we call it a song, rather than simply music, and the addition of lyrics to music makes it a song rather than a poem .. though I understand your comment is written in a second language. But composers write music, lyricists write words, songwriters do both.

However, as you have seemed so often to find songs Meat has recorded wanting because of what you describe as "simple" lyrics, they clearly have some importance to you nonetheless.

For me lyrics are very important. They are what makes the music into a song, and the meaning a singer can put into them what makes it a song that resonates with me. Bad For Good is elevated, for me, into a superb song by the inclusion of phrases like "wrap myself around you like a winter skin". Bernie Taupin's line "lived her life like a candle in the wind" is what made that song so evocative, and which elevated it to a classic. "I'm a runaway train on a broken track" captured so much of Meat's journey, and "one more tear falls in the river, she watches it wash away" conveys the anguish of Another Day.

In this song, "Ain't nothing lost forever except our love and our souls" conveys perfectly imo the final message of HIAH and holds out hope. Nor do I see it as irrelevant if one is not in a loving relationship with one other person; each of us can still hold onto our love for others, for humanity, and our integrity as human beings .. our souls. Our material wealth and trappings are less important; the riches that count are what's in our hearts and our souls. A beautiful truth.

Caryl
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 22 May 2012, 15:09   #18
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

I like lyrics (I have written various songs) but lyrics with an unfitting melody makes average songs. When I'm listening music (or songs), the first is the tune. If I don't feel anything I don't care about lyrics. For example:

I find Standing On The Outside a great song. It has a feeling, you totally understand what the music's about. It's hopeless and lonely. It's not a complicated song as tune, but the melody is talking. After you read the lyrics, you find the same story. That's what I call good music.

When I'm listening Our Love & Our Souls (what has a message and not only emotion unlike Standing On The Outside) I don't feel the balance between music and lyrics. It's not far from each other, but the arrangement is not enough. I don't talk about Meat's voice what I think is not perfect for the mood of the song. Anyway... When I'm listening the melody OL&OS I imagine another story...

Listening the music I don't feel the cold weather, I don't see a broken car. That's it!

Last edited by White of High; 22 May 2012 at 15:14.
3 Users Dislike This Post.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 22 May 2012, 15:23   #19
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High View Post
Listening the music I don't feel the cold weather, I don't see a broken car. That's it!
Nor do I .. and I don't think that I'm meant to I feel a sense of sharing with two people who have little material wealth, realising what's truly important in life and transcends bad weather and broken possessions .. I think that's what I'm meant to feel, and when I listen to the song I do

Caryl
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 22 May 2012, 15:46   #20
MarkS
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High

Completely disagree, lyrics are what makes a song tell a story. Where would a Stienman song be without the complicated, metaphoric lyrics.
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 22 May 2012, 15:51   #21
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkeaholic View Post
Where would a Stienman song be without the complicated, metaphoric lyrics.
Steinman's music without lyrics work brilliantly. Check The Strom or Prey Lewd. These are masterpieces. But you're right, a song with lyrics is better than without. Ususally the main problem is lyrics when it doesn't fit on tune...
Old 22 May 2012, 16:03   #22
TheDoode

I actually have to agree with WOH; songwriting is all about melody. Without a memorable/catchy/'unique'/whatever-adjective-you-want-to-use lyrics are just words. It's incredibly easy to screw up some great lyrics with a bad or bland melody (this is no reflection on OL&OS), but a great melody can make even mediocre lyrics shine sometimes. I guess that explains why Lady GaGa is so popular XD
TheDoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2012, 16:30   #23
Sue K
Mega Loafer

Thumbs up

May I just give it a 10 without alot of explanation but for the fact it's my fave song on the album ?... Thanks ... xo
Sue K is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.
Old 22 May 2012, 16:33   #24
Sue K
Mega Loafer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
Nor do I .. and I don't think that I'm meant to I feel a sense of sharing with two people who have little material wealth, realising what's truly important in life and transcends bad weather and broken possessions .. I think that's what I'm meant to feel, and when I listen to the song I do

Caryl
I do as well ... Been there... done that ... and thank the powers I had my husband by my side to help handle the storms ... and for me... that's what the song is about ... xo
Sue K is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 22 May 2012, 17:50   #25
glamourgirl
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
In this song, "Ain't nothing lost forever except our love and our souls" conveys perfectly imo the final message of HIAH and holds out hope. Nor do I see it as irrelevant if one is not in a loving relationship with one other person; each of us can still hold onto our love for others, for humanity, and our integrity as human beings .. our souls. Our material wealth and trappings are less important; the riches that count are what's in our hearts and our souls. A beautiful truth.

Caryl
This song especially resonates with me because I recently lost my grandma. When someone you love dies, they leave all their worldly possessions behind and all they take with them is the love and memories they shared with others. The love and kindness my grandma shared with others is her lasting legacy.

This is my favorite on the album. 10
glamourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
6 Users Like This Post.