mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 27 Feb 2011, 23:40   #101
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse View Post
I would have thought that new Steinman material on shop shelves could only higher his profile.
Not very much, granted, but it couldn't do any harm

Most music lovers would tend to agree. But with the potential to make millions out of this, it all comes down to money.

I think the name Bat Out Of Hell will always be linked to Meat, and he's the first person people will think of on hearing the name.
If people see the show and like the music, it'll be the Meat Loaf section of HMV they head to, not the Jim Steinman version, wether Meat is involved or not.

I'm not saying it's fair, i'm just saying it's so.
And that is one of the biggest fears the producers of the musical have. From the beginning it has been pretty much apparent that they do not want Meat involved. Funny how they may end up begging to get involved at some point.
renegadeangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2011, 23:43   #102
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeangel View Post
And that is one of the biggest fears the producers of the musical have.
I'd have thought with the age of them that their biggest fear is dying before the musical is finished.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2011, 23:55   #103
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Working with Meat is probably the best way for Jim to make any money. If the dark forces that control Jim prevent him from doing so then it is less likely that Jim will put out anything new. It's a theory that these dark forces are simply waiting for Jim to pop his clogs so they can cash in. They stand to make more money if they have more unreleased stuff to release.
I have often thought this as well, but it has been so long and the music biz has changed so much I'm not sure the payoff will be what they think on a posthumous Jim release. It will probably be good money, but his estate will be worth more probably that the unreleased stuff.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2011, 23:58   #104
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
I'd have thought with the age of them that their biggest fear is dying before the musical is finished.
Indeed.

But indeed I have to say to think of Bat out of Hell without Meat would be like trying to market "We will rock you" without the Queen brand and Mamma Mia as a Catherine Johnson, Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus musical.

How could this ever work?

They will HAVE to use the Meat Loaf name and I personally don't like that as I don't think it's any different than Meat doing Bat 3 without Jim which he has regretted.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2011, 00:22   #105
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
But indeed I have to say to think of Bat out of Hell without Meat would be like trying to market "We will rock you" without the Queen brand and Mamma Mia as a Catherine Johnson, Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus musical.

They will HAVE to use the Meat Loaf name and I personally don't like that as I don't think it's any different than Meat doing Bat 3 without Jim which he has regretted.
Really good point, I never thought of that, two sides to every penny
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2011, 11:32   #106
Jayd
If I could bust into hell....... I would

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Indeed.

Nail hit right on the head there. Meat and Jim, make up Bat Out Of Hell, not one without the other as we seen with Bat 3. But in all honesty, does Meat want to actually have any involvement with this musical, if he was asked, and will this musical ever see the light of day. I am sure I read that this is going to be one hell of a production, and the way money is tight nowadays, I am sure companies won't take much risks, unless they are certain, money will come flowing in.
Jayd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2011, 17:50   #107
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Quote:

I thought it was that Crawford would be offered the lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaferman61 View Post
I have often thought this as well, but it has been so long and the music biz has changed so much I'm not sure the payoff will be what they think on a posthumous Jim release. It will probably be good money, but his estate will be worth more probably that the unreleased stuff.
The unreleased stuff will be a nice bonus, but the royalties from records and musicals running (I'm thinking the Bat albums and the Tanz productions) should keep someone in lollypops for an awful long time.
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2011, 20:30   #108
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:

The unreleased stuff will be a nice bonus, but the royalties from records and musicals running (I'm thinking the Bat albums and the Tanz productions) should keep someone in lollypops for an awful long time.
I agree, the unreleased will be nice - more than most of us will ever see - but the entire estate is where the real money is. I have to wonder why Jim who seems so intelligent lets this go on. Nothing released in who remembers how long and working for years on musicals that seem to never happen. I assume Jim doesn't need any more money and just does what he wants. I hope his will leaves it all to his cat. I can't help but wonder how manipulated he is and if his creative well has reached a crawl or if he cares that there seem to be people awaiting him to "pop his clogs".
Old 28 Feb 2011, 20:38   #109
The Flying Mouse

Quote:
I hope his will leaves it all to his cat.
I suddenly have a disquietening image of David Sonnenberg in a cat outfit with a hole cut out for his face, pacing round a mansion with a bejeweled golden chalice full of milk, telling a bunch of lawyers "of course i'm Mr Steinman's cat"
Old 28 Feb 2011, 20:39   #110
allrevvedup
"Most things that i worry about, never happen anyway"

Quote:
I suddenly have a disquietening image of David Sonnenberg in a cat outfit with a hole cut out for his face, pacing round a mansion with a bejeweled golden chalice full of milk, telling a bunch of lawyers "of course i'm Mr Steinman's cat"
you really have too much time on your hands...
allrevvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2011, 21:29   #111
The Flying Mouse

That's why i'm a mod

But getting back to the topic of the musical, I think it's rather telling that Jim has got Kasim on board as it would seem to indicate that Jim wants to stick as closely to the original arrangement as possible.

The most puzzling thing is why is it all taking so long if it's all old material?
Old 28 Feb 2011, 22:29   #112
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

Quote:
That's why i'm a mod

But getting back to the topic of the musical, I think it's rather telling that Jim has got Kasim on board as it would seem to indicate that Jim wants to stick as closely to the original arrangement as possible.

The most puzzling thing is why is it all taking so long if it's all old material?
I doubt very much we're going to hear the 1977 version of BAT OUT OF HELL. I'm pretty sure that Jim has rerecorded all the songs along with a few new ones so that it is going to be Jim Steinmans Bat Out of Hell the Musical.
His and his alone.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 22:39   #113
allrevvedup
"Most things that i worry about, never happen anyway"

Quote:

a combination of him being a perfectionist and his health over the last few years methinks
allrevvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2011, 22:43   #114
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Where's Rinkoff in all of this? He also seems to have a stake in whatever Jim leaves when he departs - providing that Jim is really mortal.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 22:52   #115
glamourgirl
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayd View Post
Nail hit right on the head there. Meat and Jim, make up Bat Out Of Hell, not one without the other as we seen with Bat 3. But in all honesty, does Meat want to actually have any involvement with this musical, if he was asked, and will this musical ever see the light of day. I am sure I read that this is going to be one hell of a production, and the way money is tight nowadays, I am sure companies won't take much risks, unless they are certain, money will come flowing in.
Jim didn't want any involvement with Meat's upcoming album, so why would Meat want any involvement with the musical? The musical won't help Meat's career any. The people interested in seeing the Bat musical will be the people who know the music and already own Meat's albums. If people aren't already a fan of the Bat albums, I can't imagine them taking any interest in this musical.
glamourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2011, 22:57   #116
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourgirl View Post
Jim didn't want any involvement with Meat's upcoming album, so why would Meat want any involvement with the musical? The musical won't help Meat's career any. The people interested in seeing the Bat musical will be the people who know the music and already own Meat's albums. If people aren't already a fan of the Bat albums, I can't imagine them taking any interest in this musical.
nobody under the age of 50 anyway....most don't know much about BOOH. Besides Meat would never agree to it, he wants to create not revisit 80 year old material
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2011, 23:02   #117
Evil One
Mega Loafer

34 year old material that are still some of the best songs ever written. Just because you think new=better, it doesn't mean that everyone else will.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2011, 23:07   #118
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
34 year old material that are still some of the best songs ever written. Just because you think new=better, it doesn't mean that everyone else will.
I dont think new = better. The songs on bat are some of the most epic songs ever written.

All im saying is that most younger people dont know much about Meat, so a bat musical with only old songs would have to be catered and marketed for an older audience. So i was agreeing with what she said
Old 28 Feb 2011, 23:07   #119
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch37 View Post
nobody under the age of 50 anyway....most don't know much about BOOH. Besides Meat would never agree to it, he wants to create not revisit 80 year old material
you may well be right, but it didn't stop we will rock you, or the abba musical becoming huge hits
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2011, 23:09   #120
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke knooby View Post
you may well be right, but it didn't stop we will rock you, or the abba musical becoming huge hits
yeah i can see it as an entirely separate project happening at the same time, or between Meat's new material getting done...if Meat and Jim collaborated on a bat musical, it could be a huge hit
Old 28 Feb 2011, 23:14   #121
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

the thing with the bat songs is they have proven to be timeless, they seem to appeal to people for whatever reason (and still sell)
Old 01 Mar 2011, 00:29   #122
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

What I really have to say in defence of Meat too is that what he brought to the stage was the theatre anyway, the little sketches during Paradise and many other songs, the big fat man acting as if he was a slim energetic rock star, getting you out of your seats, making you sing along. In my opinion anything that gets cooked up with stage sets and actors and singers such as Rob Evan could never top that stuff. I feel the music has been there and done it. This is perhaps my main problem with a Bat musical. I much preferred if Jim had tried to relaunch the Batman idea with mostly unknown songs. Certainly after the Nolan reboot of the films it could have worked I think.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2011, 19:34   #123
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourgirl View Post
If there is a CD for the "Bat" musical, and I don't see any reason why there wouldn't be given the last I heard it would be staged in the UK, it would be insane not to have a Meat - Jim song on there ("Body" would be perfect) I'm pretty sure Jim already has it worked out to where Meat could just add vocals. If Jim does this without Meat I see it failing in a major way. It may even with Meat, but he's their best chance to create a buzz in the media. The way to do that is a single and Meat appearing at the premiere to get press.
Old 01 Mar 2011, 23:12   #124
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

Quote:
If there is a CD for the "Bat" musical, and I don't see any reason why there wouldn't be given the last I heard it would be staged in the UK, it would be insane not to have a Meat - Jim song on there ("Body" would be perfect) I'm pretty sure Jim already has it worked out to where Meat could just add vocals. If Jim does this without Meat I see it failing in a major way. It may even with Meat, but he's their best chance to create a buzz in the media. The way to do that is a single and Meat appearing at the premiere to get press.

I'm thinking more and more they are going to rerecord all the songs from both BATS and some new songs and sell the whole thing off as a reimagining of BAT OUT OF HELL. Remember, it's being called Jim Steinman's Bat out of Hell so it will be strictly his interpretation.
The only way they'll go to Meat for anything will be out of desperation.
Old 01 Mar 2011, 23:48   #125
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeangel View Post
The only way they'll go to Meat for anything will be out of desperation.
that sounds very cold...

they might go to meat for lots of reasons, or they might not, or something might happen, or not