mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 17 Sep 2010, 17:41   #1
Smithie
Super Loafer

Default Neverland Express album?

Do you think a Neverland Express album would work, kind of like a Fleetwood Mac album with the girls and guys trading lead vocals? Patti sings a song, Randy sings a song, cc sings a song and so on.
Smithie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 17:49   #2
Sarge
Mega Loafer

They are a fantastic live band, yet I doubt that it would work. What kind of songs would they sing, who would provide them with (good) songs?
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 17:53   #3
Elijah's way
Soul Auctioneer

They could do a cover album?!?
Elijah's way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 17:55   #4
madagascar
Super Loafer

Justin Avery is an amazing songwriter.
madagascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 17:57   #5
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah's way View Post
They could do a cover album?!?
How inventive... Who would buy that aside from die-hard Meat Loaf fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madagascar View Post
Justin Avery is an amazing songwriter.
Examples?
Old 17 Sep 2010, 18:20   #6
glamourgirl
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
They are a fantastic live band, yet I doubt that it would work. What kind of songs would they sing, who would provide them with (good) songs?
Most of the band members are songwriters. I especially like Patti's songs which are on Youtube.
glamourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 18:29   #7
madagascar
Super Loafer

Quote:

Examples?
Buying a CD is a good tip:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/justinavery
Old 17 Sep 2010, 18:31   #8
glamourgirl
Super Loafer

Quote:
Buying a CD is a good tip
Very true.
Most of the band members have songs posted on their Myspace pages too.
glamourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 18:40   #9
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

That Justin Avery music is definitely some of the worst music I've heard in a long time, absolutely not the kind of stuff I like, so far removed from my musical interests it's almost impossible to get any further I reckon. It's more Jazz, Funk and Rnb than Rock imo. If a "Neverland Express album" (it will never happen as they are a touring band for Meat Loaf which some people seem to forget) contained those type of songs I definitely wouldn't buy it! Awful. Sorry.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 18:41   #10
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourgirl View Post
Most of the band members are songwriters. I especially like Patti's songs which are on Youtube.
I'm not sure if they would ever have the time, the chance and the interest to work as an independent band and create their own, distinctive style of music.

Quote:
Buying a CD is a good tip
Pretty cool (the music that is, I'm not that excited about his voice) but would that be the "right" kind of music for the NLE to play? Compare that to the other band members' stuff, they would have to agree on a common denominator and make compromises if they decided to work together on an album, I guess.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 18:43   #11
madagascar
Super Loafer

I never said they should do his songs, but he is a good writer.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 18:54   #12
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Yeah, but what if you have several writers / musicians with different styles and preferences? The members of the NLE usually work together very well on a project assigned to them (e.g. playing for Meat) but how would they work on a project of their own (i.e. as the NLE without Meat)?
Old 17 Sep 2010, 18:59   #13
madagascar
Super Loafer

You've asked the right question, the outcome of a project like this would be interesting imho.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 22:15   #14
Steve6
Batman

If Kasim was still in the band a Neverland Express album would work. He can write songs, and he has a fine singing voice, I'm sure he can produce too. But without him I'm not really sure to be honest. Who knows maybe they have recorded some material together already.
But like I've said before it's Meat and Jim's band, they don't really have the right to branch out and do their own album under the name the "Neverland Express"
Steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 23:15   #15
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve6 View Post
If Kasim was still in the band a Neverland Express album would work. He can write songs, and he has a fine singing voice, I'm sure he can produce too.
I disagree. Kasim's singing voice bores me to tears.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 23:22   #16
Steve6
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
He brings more than just his singing voice to the table to be fair. You could have Patti on lead vocals I suppose. Can Paul or Randy sing?
Old 17 Sep 2010, 23:26   #17
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Randy's got an OK voice, but Paul should just stick to guitaring.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2010, 23:34   #18
Steve6
Batman

Quote:
One of the reasons a Neverland Express album won't happen, unless it's a heavy metal album with screaming vocals. ARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Old 17 Sep 2010, 23:49   #19
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Quote:
spot on, i have to agree
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2010, 00:15   #20
Elijah's way
Soul Auctioneer

Quote:

Examples?
It wouldn't necessarily have to target a big audience, it could be just something for the fans and only sale on itunes or something. And like everyone else is saying some of them right songs so they could do that.
Elijah's way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2010, 01:03   #21
AndrewG

To think of The Neverland Express without Meat Loaf is like thinking of a hamburger without Meat or a bun. I think we are forgetting here that Meat is the one who brings this band together. After hearing what the arrangements are like with Kasim gone even his MD role seemed rather less important to me than what I once thought it was. I'm not saying Kasim is useless at all. Kasim is a great guy and was a huge asset to the band but Meat definitely is much more of a director here than what some seem to be giving him credit for I reckon. With half of these guys spread across the States doing different things (and by the sounds of it different styles of music too!) without Meat it makes no sense to me for them to get together without Meat Loaf and do similar music at all. A fantasy proposition in my opinion. It was great hearing Patti do Bible and beer but she could have her own less expensive band and do gigs and still be on the money.

With Meat comes a grandeur and a band perfection I've rarely come across (except for the E Street Band) but I reckon Meat is the puppet master, the driving force who actually makes the band work. Would anyone care if the E street band did a "solo" album, yeah maybe a few thousand hardcore Springsteen fans. Would anyone care if the Neverland Express did an album? No-one outside this board I reckon.

Last edited by AndrewG; 18 Sep 2010 at 01:08.
Old 18 Sep 2010, 03:49   #22
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
To think of The Neverland Express without Meat Loaf is like thinking of a hamburger without Meat or a bun. I think we are forgetting here that Meat is the one who brings this band together. After hearing what the arrangements are like with Kasim gone even his MD role seemed rather less important to me than what I once thought it was. I'm not saying Kasim is useless at all. Kasim is a great guy and was a huge asset to the band but Meat definitely is much more of a director here than what some seem to be giving him credit for I reckon. With half of these guys spread across the States doing different things (and by the sounds of it different styles of music too!) without Meat it makes no sense to me for them to get together without Meat Loaf and do similar music at all. A fantasy proposition in my opinion. It was great hearing Patti do Bible and beer but she could have her own less expensive band and do gigs and still be on the money.

With Meat comes a grandeur and a band perfection I've rarely come across (except for the E Street Band) but I reckon Meat is the puppet master, the driving force who actually makes the band work. Would anyone care if the E street band did a "solo" album, yeah maybe a few thousand hardcore Springsteen fans. Would anyone care if the Neverland Express did an album? No-one outside this board I reckon.
POTD, completely agree
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2010, 03:55   #23
suzieq
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Quote:
I agree x 2.

The members in the NLE are pretty friendly, I think that if an album would happen between all of their styles it would have happened already. IMO I believe that the NLE knows that a project would work but there are too many styles that they would have to compromise possibly leaving someone unhappy. I think they all want each other to succeed and be happy in their own specialty/strength if you will. However, when Meat is at his helm with the NLE, they are so professionally perfect for Meat.
suzieq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2010, 04:02   #24
Pudding
I'm A Prize Fight Lover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
To think of The Neverland Express without Meat Loaf is like thinking of a hamburger without Meat or a bun.
Utter nonsense. The Shadows worked perfectly well without Cliff Richards.

A touring NLE would work, then when they're established on their own without being labelled just as Meats backing band, then an album could be possible.
Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Sep 2010, 04:26   #25
AndrewG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
Utter nonsense. The Shadows worked perfectly well without Cliff Richards.
As far as I understand The Shadows or the Drifters were formed in the 50s or 60s and did solo stuff quite soon after forming for Cliff Richard. If The Neverland Express were such an individualistic band they would have done something by now. I just think beyond the borders of the hardcore Meat Loaf fanbase (and those who take note of what is written in the tourbook and what Meat says during the shows) not many people will have heard of the Neverland Express. The constant different incarnations of the band simply leads me to conclude there is not much unity within the group without Meat, but that's my opinion. I see Meat much more as an auteur, a creator of the show and a brand to some extent than just a bland singer like how I see Cliff Richard, sorry. If the Neverland Express had been credited more like how the E Street Band have been there may have been more of a chance to get things of the ground. This is not to say that beyond Meat there is no career for these guys and I'm sure some of them would happily play together in other incarnations but as The Neverland Express itself I just don't see it happening.