Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 21 Jun 2018, 03:11   #26
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Well, all I have to say (admittedly with sour grapes) is this: given the choice between a musical that incidentally includes Meat Loaf songs, and a Meat Loaf show sanctioned by and starring Meat Loaf, I know what I would buy tickets to. The fans of the showmanship get the showmanship, the nitpickers about vocal quality (hopefully) get a singer they deem worthy of their impossibly high standards, the use of the original Neverland Express -- even on a rotating basis -- preserves the integrity of the live show... I'm just sayin'... at least until Meat gets well enough to fully carry the show, this is the next best thing.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 11:05   #27
2jaxx
Senior Loafer

Teaser is still here
2jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2018, 11:25   #28
2jaxx
Senior Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgotoofar View Post
Well, all I have to say (admittedly with sour grapes) is this: given the choice between a musical that incidentally includes Meat Loaf songs, and a Meat Loaf show sanctioned by and starring Meat Loaf, I know what I would buy tickets to. The fans of the showmanship get the showmanship, the nitpickers about vocal quality (hopefully) get a singer they deem worthy of their impossibly high standards, the use of the original Neverland Express -- even on a rotating basis -- preserves the integrity of the live show... I'm just sayin'... at least until Meat gets well enough to fully carry the show, this is the next best thing.
I would actually love to see both, because a musical is a totally different beast. I always imagined a Bat musical should look like this, with the Mad Max meets Peter Pan look. On the other hand, a real rock show with a guy like Caleb is the other thing I always wished for. It is like two dreams came true at once.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 13:26   #29
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post
Are we facing another Steinman vs Meat Loaf lawsuit?
Categorically 'no'.
ThatWriterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2018, 13:30   #30
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

Further: I have NO idea about this show. All I can say is that -- I would LOVE to see it.
Old 21 Jun 2018, 22:57   #31
Adje
trying to be realistic

To me it's too much like watching Picasso, watching some painter, using Picasso's tools to paint one of Picasso's paintings...

You can use the master's tools, you can copy the master's paintings, but it will never be a real Picasso

In other words, a waste of time and money.
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2018, 09:44   #32
ajf33
Senior Loafer

https://mpitalentagency.com/artist/b...caleb-johnson/

Posted this on page one, but now has info added.
ajf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2018, 11:54   #33
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
To me it's too much like watching Picasso, watching some painter, using Picasso's tools to paint one of Picasso's paintings...

You can use the master's tools, you can copy the master's paintings, but it will never be a real Picasso

It's a tricky one. I can see this from both points of view.

It's a bit like Queen, well just Brian May and Roger Taylor now, who continued on with the name with different singers.
I had a ticket to go to one of the Wembley shows some years back but actually didn't go in the end as towards the concert date I was quite "meh" about it.

A large part of me wishes Brian May had continued on his own. I saw him live 20 years ago and he was excellent on his own with his own songs, own band and some Queen stuff thrown in. He disappeared for a while and then pretty much only has done stuff for the continued Queen saga and some badger culling awareness malarky from what I've seen. Pretty much never consistently trying to be his own artist which I think he was and could have been/stayed. Even some of Roger Taylor post 1991 solo stuff was decent I thought. Terrible singer but still decent music. I also always think the singing doesn't necessarily matter too much as long as you bring something original and from your own soul. Like Dire Straits or Bob Dylan, again terrible singers mostly but they draw/drew crowds of worshippers because they consistently churned out great music and songs.

But I get there is a demand to continue in the same spirit with Queen or Meat Loaf for that matter, even if that spirit is never going to be the real genuine thing.

No idea if this is a good idea or whether they should just let sleeping dogs lie or what.

AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2018, 12:02   #34
jmfreeman
Senior Loafer

Some people will enjoy this, and some won't. Personally, it's not something I'd go for, but I wouldn't take away from the folk who'll enjoy it by saying it shouldn't happen. Nothing is to everybody's taste.
jmfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 16:13   #35
ajf33
Senior Loafer

New twitter accounts set up, but nowt tweeted yet -

https://twitter.com/paulcrookmecom1

https://twitter.com/BackOutOfHell
ajf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2018, 16:39   #36
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post

In the words of -- among others -- Monty Python's Life of Brian, there's just no pleasing some people.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 17:10   #37
jmfreeman
Senior Loafer

I often hear talk of 'passing on the torch', and I don't see any need. There's only one Meat Loaf, and only ever going to be. There was only one Elvis, Sinatra, Nat King Cole. Does that mean that nobody else can ever cover their tunes? of course not. And does it mean that people who enjoyed their music will never enjoy anyone else's? Of course not, thank God. If the day comes when Meat stops recording and performing, there's no need for anyone to continue doing so for him, a la a new James Bond. Somebody one day may capture some of his spirit and his fire, but it can't be forced. Meat was (is) an original, as all the great talents are. Anything else would just be a tribute act, or a piece of theatre - however enjoyable.

Last edited by jmfreeman; 22 Jun 2018 at 17:12. Reason: addition made
jmfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2018, 18:12   #38
anotherday
Super Loafer

Innnnteresting.
It seems that they changed the naming to 'Back out of Hell'.

Well then, I guess we'll have to keep watch.
anotherday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2018, 18:56   #39
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

After reading some of the replies and analogies above, all I can say is that thank F.C.U.K. the same isn't true for Wagner, Mozart, Vivaldi, Bach, Chopin, Brahms, Tchaikovsky, and Handel.
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 22 Jun 2018, 19:21   #40
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Supposition, admittedly, from the MPI Talent Agency website, but their (as-yet-not-password-locked, though they claim to be) riders and equipment rental list suggest, unless of course the paperwork is just a sample or (of course) subject to change, the NLE on the first go-round will consist of Paul Crook, Steve Buslowe, Randy Flowers, Justin Avery, John Miceli, and Cian Coey.

(My guess, which again is only a guess and based on a document that is no doubt subject to change, is that Pat Thrall, Danny Miranda, Tom Brislin, and Lyssa Lynne are on call as "subs," and that David Luther's involvement is either still being worked out, or he's "in" on an as-needed basis.)

Aside from people who are mainly based in other countries not being involved in the revolving line-up for that obvious reason, it's odd, and perhaps telling, that some of the artists from Meat's two best-known eras (names like Alexander, Jacobs, Kulick -- either of them, Russo, or Sulton) are decidedly not present. (Possibly not on the table or even up for discussion? I'd hate to think things ended so badly that even a tour not directly involving Meat is out of reach, especially when said tour is touting itself on the "original" band and "original" sound, and these people worked with him for so long you'd think they have some clue what it is...)

Last edited by letsgotoofar; 22 Jun 2018 at 19:29.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 23 Jun 2018, 23:40   #41
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

I am keeping my mind open. I don't know how this will sell ticket-wise. But if it is going to be done I'd rather see something Meat has quality control over and top notch musicians who have played in the NLE than to see some fat guy with a bar band doing a "tribute" act. If Meat is involved I feel certain he will make sure it is worth a try, his role is why I am open to this.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 24 Jun 2018, 00:13   #42
letsgotoofar
Super Loafer

Quote:
Supposition, admittedly, from the MPI Talent Agency website, but their (as-yet-not-password-locked, though they claim to be) ...
Well, we know they're reading this forum. The files are now properly password-locked. Glad I learned what I could when I did!

While I still remember, some other things I learned: the name of Paul Crook's company was all over the legal disclaimers in the riders, so at least per the paperwork, Paul is definitely involved (maybe this was even his brainchild?).
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 24 Jun 2018, 00:40   #43
2jaxx
Senior Loafer

Well, thinking of tribute acts like ~~~~~~~~~~, a fat, ignorant dork who actually hated Meat and went to the yellow press when Meat was not amused by bis behavior, this could be real fun.
Old 24 Jun 2018, 01:01   #44
MarkS
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jaxx View Post
His voice isn't bad, lacks feeling but that could also be because the backing track sounds like something you would here at karaoke
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2018, 01:59   #45
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Well, we know they're reading this forum. The files are now properly password-locked. Glad I learned what I could when I did!

While I still remember, some other things I learned: the name of Paul Crook's company was all over the legal disclaimers in the riders, so at least per the paperwork, Paul is definitely involved (maybe this was even his brainchild?).
Well I mean, Paul's on the Forum...And others, so that's not surprising. PS. MetalLoaf, if you're listening: Thank you for putting this together. An awesome way to keep the NLE performing long term, keep your and Meat's vision and art alive as a living beast, and giving something meaningful to us fans. I can't wait to see your show.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 26 Jun 2018, 21:52   #46
JennaG
Mega Loafer

I think this is a nice way to continue the Meat Loaf legacy outside of the musical which may not be some people's cup of tea but from a personal point of view I'm not sure if it's something I'd be in a rush to see. I imagine I'd always be thinking that there was something missing when compared to the original experience of hearing those songs, performed by Meat Loaf himself.
JennaG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 02 Jul 2018, 18:03   #47
ThatWriterGuy
Super Loafer

I was surprised to see a mention of the show in the press today (UK). It wasn't the best story, but it does at least spin some publicity I would hope (shame they took the announcement and reveal out of Meat's hands though).
Old 02 Jul 2018, 19:04   #48
wizardofodd
Super Loafer

I felt the Guardian article was better than The Sun- but thats not surprising. I have no idea if this is the best or worst idea, I'd admire him for doing something different, but there is an underlining sadness to it all.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/sh...-caleb-johnson
wizardofodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jul 2018, 19:17   #49
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

I personally rather have a "Meat Loaf presents The NOT Bat out of Hell Tour". Have Caleb sing everything from Meat's repertoire that wasn't on the Bat out of Hell albums and Meat tell stories about all those songs and recording sessions so I can learn and hear something new . and YES that then could include live renditions from the unheard good songs from Braver and the Dead Ringer album that were hardly performed ("I'll Kill you.." / "More than you deserve") and so much other stuff ("Surf's Up" / "Did I say That" etc...)
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jul 2018, 19:26   #50
duke knooby
Mega Loafer

Back out of hell tour?

I absolutely love that title!!

Very apt and very witty
duke knooby is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.