mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Old 25 Jan 2011, 19:33   #1
RockBtmLtd
Rookie

Default How soon we forget!

It does seem that so many Meat Loaf fans have forgotten, or (how sad) have never seen Steve B. IMHO, he was the epitome (big word LOL) if the NLE. He always gave 110% no matter what was falling apart around him; he is one of the world's finest bassists; producer, musical director, co-writer, etc.; and one heck of a nice, caring guy! I sorely miss (poetic license here) "watching you dance and the thunder rolled". I may be a "rookie" at MLUKFC, but I was lucky enough to have had many happy years.

Keep on Rockin'!

Win
RockBtmLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2011, 20:08   #2
mib
Medium/Paranormal Investigator

Steve B...Now there's a blast from the past.
mib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2011, 20:18   #3
RockBtmLtd
Rookie

Default Oldies But Goodies

Okay, 14 years or so is a long time. But, "I remember every little thing as if it happened only yesterday" LOL Well, if you are my age 14 years is a drop in the bucket! I realize that, to some, it's about the time they were born!
Old 25 Jan 2011, 20:30   #4
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

A talented guy, to be sure .

Last thing I remember hearing of Steve was that he was now in real estate.

Wonder if he keeps up his music.
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jan 2011, 20:33   #5
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Meat has worked with some great bassists over the years and Steve Buslowe is without question the best of them all.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2011, 00:01   #6
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

STeve is the best bassist of all time. Miss him. wish he stayed for storytellers at least through the end of the 90's.

Stayed with meat through his worst years (not vocally but personally)

Steve deserves a reunion show

Its sad Kasim took the reins. Kasim was good when Steve played with him. Thank god that crap is outta here.
The songs sounded better with steve.

Although I truly hate kasim, Steve was a pinnacle of basshood.

Love Steve. love Danny.

RIP Steve Machine Gun Bustlowe
1977 - 1983 then 1986 - 1997
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2011, 00:15   #7
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarioLoaf View Post
Although I truly hate kasim, Steve was a pinnacle of basshood.
[...]
RIP Steve Machine Gun Bustlowe
1977 - 1983 then 1986 - 1997
Why do you hate Kasim and talk about him in such a derogatory way, why do you always spell Buslowe "Bustlowe" and why does your post appear like an obituary?

Last edited by Sarge; 26 Jan 2011 at 00:20.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2011, 00:25   #8
Wario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
Why do you hate Kasim and talk about him in such a derogatory way
Not gonna get into that right now. In short I just dont like his ego. more info PM me. dont want this thread getting locked.

Quote:
why do you always spell Buslowe "Bustlowe"
DUnno. Im sorry for the typo

Quote:
and why does your post appear like an obituary?
It is. an obituary for the years when Steve reined supreme.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 00:57   #9
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
In short I just dont like his ego.
So now it's his ego... Weren't you talking about his alleged lack of musical abilities a few minutes ago?

Quote:
more info PM me.
Not interested, sorry. I'm suspicious of insinuations. If you make such statements here, you should have the guts to explain why, too.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 01:00   #10
Wario

Quote:
So now it's his ego... Weren't you talking about his alleged lack of musical abilities a few minutes ago.
I said In short his ego. I dont like his music abilities either.

I just do not like kasim. period. never did.

Now back to steve, he was great.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 01:14   #11
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
I just do not like kasim. period. never did.
There is a difference between just disliking and hating someone. I'm not a big Kasim fan either and I like Buslowe's way of playing bass better, but I have to acknowledge Kasim's skills. The way you talk about him appears quite arrogant to me.

By the way, didn't you say that you "de-friended" Kasim and Mark on Facebook after they had left the band (correct me if I'm wrong and mistaking you for someone else). If you never liked him why was he your "friend"?
Old 26 Jan 2011, 01:29   #12
Wario

Quote:
There is a difference between just disliking and hating someone. I'm not a big Kasim fan either and I like Buslowe's way of playing bass better, but I have to acknowledge Kasim's skills. The way you talk about him appears quite arrogant to me.

By the way, didn't you say that you "de-friended" Kasim and Mark on Facebook after they had left the band (correct me if I'm wrong and mistaking you for someone else). If you never liked him why was he your "friend"?
Kasim was nothing special. he was a good bass player but nothing special. He wasn't the paul crook of the bass.

Only good thing kasim has done is keep the storytellers/greatest hits tour/CHSIB tour review pages up. Only place to get that kind of information. Even if 90% you have to dig through the kasim centric reviews to get to the meat.

and Good point about facebook. when i deleted him I asked myself the same question. I think someone suggested him to me and I accepted it or something. i don remember.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 01:52   #13
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Kasim was nothing special.
You are obviously not aware that you're criticizing Meat as well. If Kasim was "nothing special" why was he in the band for that long? Why did he become musical director? Do you think Meat is stupid and tours with someone who allegedly is not qualified for the job for years?

Just out of curiosity, do you play an instrument?
Old 26 Jan 2011, 02:19   #14
Wario

Quote:
Do you think Meat is stupid and tours with someone who allegedly is not qualified for the job for years?

Just out of curiosity, do you play an instrument?
Kasim sucks. Steve Rules Simple as that.

not gonna delve into this long but kasim was an OK MD from 1998 to 2004. But yes. i think everything from 2005 - 2008 is indeed stupid on all fronts.

Last edited by Wario; 26 Jan 2011 at 02:33.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 02:45   #15
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Kasim sucks.
Sorry, Wario, but I can't take this seriously. You can't even explain in detail why you think that "Kasim sucks* and Steve rules". You pretend to show appreciation for Steve by expressing your hatred for Kasim. That's bad style, really. No one who truly knows anything about music would ever do that.

* Nice language, by the way.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 02:52   #16
Wario

Quote:
Sorry, Wario, but I can't take this seriously. You can't even explain in detail why you think that "Kasim sucks* and Steve rules". You pretend to show appreciation for Steve by expressing your hatred for Kasim. That's bad style, really. No one who truly knows anything about music would ever do that.

* Nice language, by the way.
just trying to be a piece maker. thers no winning this. you won.

Imma asshole and just hate kasim for stupid reasons.

Steve still kicks ass
Old 26 Jan 2011, 10:23   #17
AndyK
Relentless

Meanwhile back on topic please ...
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2011, 10:54   #18
Evil One
Mega Loafer

I don't hate Kasim. I don't know the man, have never met the man and am never likely to meet the man. Also his guitar playing skills are far superior to mine, as I have no guitar playing skills whatsoever!

That said I've always felt that his stage presence lacked the energy and excitement of Steve Buslowe and (to me) he gave off the impression that he was very pleased with himself. Smug is probably the word I'm after. Also I think that the live arrangements weren't as good during the period that Kasim was musical director. However without knowing how much involvement Kasim actually had in these arrangements I cannot blame it all on Kasim.

I also think it's far too early to make any conclusions as to Danny Miranda's standing in the bass player league table, So the Machine Gun is definitely at the top for me.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 12:36   #19
MeatGrl1
No Day But Today

Location:  Sitting on the steps outside looking so restless and reckless and lost!

I have never seen Steve in the band so I can't comment. I do know Kasim though and personally I liked how he played and as he has been with Meat since BOOH I and has starred in Roadie I think your points Wario are very rude and ignorant, are you deliberatly looking for ways to get Meat all fired up if he happens to stumble across this thread ?!?
MeatGrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2011, 12:56   #20
daveake
200% is the new 110%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
That said I've always felt that his stage presence lacked the energy and excitement of Steve Buslowe
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Also I think that the live arrangements weren't as good during the period that Kasim was musical director. However without knowing how much involvement Kasim actually had in these arrangements I cannot blame it all on Kasim.
I was told that Kasim literally begged Meat to let him follow the original arrangements, but Meat over-ruled. You can take as many pinches of salt as you like with that, but my source is one I trust

Dave
daveake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2011, 14:32   #21
Sarge
Mega Loafer

Buslowe definitely was more interesting to watch playing (Steve was a rocker while Kasim appeared more like a manager), did a good job on vocals, too, but just because someone has less stage presence than someone else he isn't necessarily a bad musician. Compare bass players like Bill Wyman or John Entwistle to their fellow band members. They usually didn't jump around and posed like Richards and Townshend but did they "suck"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatGrl1 View Post
I have never seen Steve in the band so I can't comment.
If you watch the Rockpalast DVD you can see Steve play an amazing solo.

Quote:
are you deliberatly looking for ways to get Meat all fired up if he happens to stumble across this thread ?!?
No, his motivation lies somewhere else. He's just our local expert on all things Meat Loaf. If Wario says that there are "damned sound errors" on a recording, that Masculine is the Meat Loaf song everybody loves, that playing California on the radio might offend a group of people who don't have radios, that Meat didn't sound good live in 1996 and that "Kasim sucks" it's nothing but the truth. We're just to ignorant to surrender to his wisdom.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 14:50   #22
Wario

Quote:
I think your points Wario are very rude and ignorant, are you deliberatly looking for ways to get Meat all fired up if he happens to stumble across this thread ?!?
Of course id want meat yelling at me again.

Now with Steve, Ive always like the way he danced and mouthed the words meat was singing while he played. I always found that real funny.
Old 26 Jan 2011, 14:54   #23
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Of course id want meat yelling at me again.

Now with Steve, Ive always like the way he danced and mouthed the words meat was singing while he played. I always found that real funny.
You liked it so much you became the MeaTloafmImer as a tribute!
Old 26 Jan 2011, 18:11   #24
RockBtmLtd
Rookie

Default Okay, Okay Guys!!!

I certainly did not mean to start this "thread" when I posted the orginal heading....Now, if we could stop discussion of "good Kas, bad Kas", I would like to mention that Steve is out of real estate, teaching bass, and still very much alive and well with music. Now, whatever did or did not happen with, or without, Mr. Sulton, I hear ML has a new bass player and I wish him god speed!
Old 26 Jan 2011, 18:33   #25
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Are you Steve in disguise?