mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts

Old 22 May 2012, 19:25   #26
chairboys
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoode View Post
I actually have to agree with WOH; songwriting is all about melody. Without a memorable/catchy/'unique'/whatever-adjective-you-want-to-use lyrics are just words. It's incredibly easy to screw up some great lyrics with a bad or bland melody (this is no reflection o n OL&OS), but a great melody can make even mediocre lyrics shine sometimes. I guess that explains why Lady GaGa is so popular XD
I agree with The Doode who agrees with WOH who agrees with....
chairboys is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 22 May 2012, 21:04   #27
BostonAngel
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High View Post
Not for me... I think lyrics is the third most important thing in a song. Lyrics is important in a poem, melody and arrangement are most important in music... Because of it we call it music and not poem...
This is why in general, I am not a fan of rating songs on a numerical scale. It is so subjective; Everyone has their own criteria for how they rate a certain song. There are so many elements that go into a song - lyrics, melody, instrumentation, vocals, etc. ALL play a part in how the song comes together. Each element does play a part in how I rate a song too. Every individual has different tastes and therefore different elements that make them like one song more than another. For me it is lyrics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High View Post
I like lyrics (I have written various songs) but lyrics with an unfitting melody makes average songs. When I'm listening music (or songs), the first is the tune. If I don't feel anything I don't care about lyrics....
For me it is the opposite; no matter how catchy or sweet the melody, if the lyrics don't speak to me and touch me soul, it becomes less memorable to me.

As, you stated, for you it is melody that is important. Both are essential to any song. it is just a matter of personal taste as to what is more important to you and which you prefer

I thing Caryl said it best:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarylB View Post
What is important to you is down to your personal taste, but I think you'll find that the inclusion of lyrics is why we call it a song, rather than simply music, and the addition of lyrics to music makes it a song rather than a poem .. though I understand your comment is written in a second language. But composers write music, lyricists write words, songwriters do both.

However, as you have seemed so often to find songs Meat has recorded wanting because of what you describe as "simple" lyrics, they clearly have some importance to you nonetheless.

For me lyrics are very important. They are what makes the music into a song, and the meaning a singer can put into them what makes it a song that resonates with me..........
Caryl
BostonAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 22 May 2012, 21:43   #28
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

8 - a great message, very relevant for our times, and nice to hear Meat and Patti together again.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 22 May 2012, 23:12   #29
ninja
Super Loafer

[QUOTE=BostonAngel;570728]
no matter how catchy or sweet the melody, if the lyrics don't speak to me and touch me soul, it becomes less memorable to me.

yes indeed! a song without good lyrics can't be a good song ...
a really good song needs a good message or story.
ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 23 May 2012, 00:31   #30
Sarge
Mega Loafer

I agree with White Of High and TheDoode. The melody is an important part of a song. There are songs with silly lyrics that I love to listen to because they are catchy and/or memorable. If the music is secondary why bother to record instruments in the first place? You could just narrate the lyrics but that's not what people expect when listening to a rock album - especially if it's one by an artist who recorded songs like Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad, For Crying Out Loud, Objects In The Rear View Mirror, I'd Do Anything For Love, Did I Say That... Ideally, lyrics as well as music are outstanding. Wrap this song in a melody like that of Bagel Bites.

Last edited by Sarge; 23 May 2012 at 00:39.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 23 May 2012, 00:36   #31
Elijah's way
Soul Auctioneer

8 really good song
Elijah's way is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 23 May 2012, 21:54   #32
Kathy
Super Loafer

See "All Of Me" for explanation
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2012, 20:43   #33
The Flying Mouse
Armed ba$tard and Jo's other half.

Like some, I find this a little too light.
It's not a bad song, it's just not something that you can get your teeth into.

On Patti's part I expect her to start singing "Give me the beat boy, free me soul, I wanna get lost in rock & roll"
Wether that's a good thing or a bad thing is personal opinion.
My opinion is it could be worse

Being the one duet I would have liked Patti to have been doing a song that kicked a little more ass.

Last edited by The Flying Mouse; 28 May 2012 at 15:20.
The Flying Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2012, 16:34   #34
ShelbyLee
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse View Post
Being the one duet I would have liked Patti to have been doing a song that kicked a little more ass.
I also hope Meat and Patti record a kick ass rock duet on the next album. Her duet with Doogie White was a real rocker.

But I do love this song and I am really looking forward to the live performance. It's one of their best duets, imo.
ShelbyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 05 Jun 2012, 22:44   #35
White of High
Nature's Siegfried

Average: 7.88 (134/17)
White of High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2012, 18:30   #36
ShelbyLee
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyLee View Post
I also hope Meat and Patti record a kick ass rock duet on the next album. Her duet with Doogie White was a real rocker.

But I do love this song and I am really looking forward to the live performance. It's one of their best duets, imo.
Oops, I forgot to score it... 10
ShelbyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.