Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Old 10 Jul 2016, 15:50   #1
Danny L
Super Loafer

Default Steinman songs that could/should have been on MEAT LOAF albums?

Now BRAVER THAN WE ARE is just on the horizon and BAT THE MUSICAL is a little bit further away (33 weeks according to my coountdown!) and we know the tracklist for the former, I can't help but wonder what some songs would have been like had Meat done them on his albums. We know the original Bat 3 (Final At Bat?) would have featured soem of these songs we know from demos/Tanz:

Not Allowed To Love
God Has Left The Building
We're Still The Children
What Part of my Boody Hurts The Most?

Some titles we know but never heard:
Paradise Lost
The Monster Is Out Of The Cage
No Lips Hands Or Butts
The Powers Of Darkness

plus there's some old classics that you can't help wonder what they would have beemn like had Meat recorded them ala TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART and MAKING LOVE OUT OF NOTHING AT ALL.

Meat Loaf has however said that he may record WHAT PART OF MY BODY for the BOOH cast album, likely thats been talked about with Jim.

Are there any somgs you are surprised weren't on the Bats/Braver/ML albums?
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2016, 19:00   #2
Evil One
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny L View Post
Not Allowed To Love
We're Still The Children
These are probably all contracted to the musical, or Meat would have done them on Braver.

Quote:
Paradise Lost
No Lips Hands Or Butts
The Powers Of Darkness
These songs probably never existed in the first place.

Quote:
plus there's some old classics that you can't help wonder what they would have beemn like had Meat recorded them ala TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART and MAKING LOVE OUT OF NOTHING AT ALL.
I would love to hear Meat do Making Love, but it's not going to happen. Braver is only 55 minutes long. If he wanted to do another Steinman song then he would have.
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jul 2016, 22:38   #3
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Now BRAVER THAN WE ARE is just on the horizon and BAT THE MUSICAL is a little bit further away (33 weeks according to my coountdown!) and we know the tracklist for the former, I can't help but wonder what some songs would have been like had Meat done them on his albums. We know the original Bat 3 (Final At Bat?) would have featured soem of these songs we know from demos/Tanz:

Not Allowed To Love
We're Still The Children

Paradise Lost
No Lips Hands Or Butts
The Powers Of Darkness

Meat Loaf has however said that he may record WHAT PART OF MY BODY for the BOOH cast album, likely thats been talked about with Jim.

I think Not Allowed To Love is kind of covered in Braver with the Bridge of More (the I need all the love I can get lines). I think it is one song that lends to a female vocal much more than male so not surprised the full one didn't feature.

I think i agree with those top four being part of the Bat Musical...at least in some form.

I think the latter four have existed at some time but as some of them were originally called conclusions to Bat1 (when there was talk of climaxes and conclusions a long while back) i think they might have been from so long ago that they have now been recycled in some form in songs already heard (part of me thinks the line "so much of paradise lost, when you add up the cost" from Braver/Going all the way could have arguably been originally a line from Paradise Lost.)

As for songs I would have liked Meat to have done. I kind of feel like in the main he has covered what could/needed to be done from Bad for Good and Pandora's Box (I don't really think Safe Sex or Little Black Book would work lol. Dance in My Pants is a fun song and it was heard live as part of his 88 tour, Stark Raving Love he has done the best bit of with Lost Boys and Golden Girls.)

Making Love would be a good shout out of Bonnie's stuff..again Holding out for a Hero wouldn't really work, Total Eclipse Maybe, Ravishing again not for Meat.

From the musicals, I think they are pretty much covered. Most of Tanz has now been done, and much of Jim's earlier musicals were reused for Bat et al.

There are possibly some that could have been done better (Nowhere Fast expanded to more like the Streets of Fire lyrics, I'll Kill You if You Don't Come Back with a better production, a few of the Bat 3 songs without Desmond Child's involvement).

Possibly some version of Tonight is What it Means To Be Young would have been good for completeness.

I think the main thing i wonder is how many variations and other versions of songs has Jim written over the years that haven't been heard other than those where demos have shown up on his site over the years and on youtube.
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2016, 11:21   #4
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

To me there's no point Meat doing covers that Bonnie has done as they are mostly quite well known and quite well produced in the first place. Not really sure Loving you was necessary or even Meat's duet rendition of It's all Coming Back (original and Celine Dion version are more memorable imo). Total Eclipse and Bonnie's Making Love to my ears were definitive versions. I remember hearing Bonnie's Making Love on the radio in 1995 and thought it was first Total Eclipse and then a sequel (never heard the original) within 5 seconds so that says enough.

Stark Raving Love and Dance in my pants could have been on Braver imo. The one song I don't get why it's missing is Graveyard Shift. I think it's an excellent song "I see it all!". Probably better than some that have made it on Braver. Had all of these together with the Angels Arise choir with pounding Piano (album opening) and Body been on Braver too I think they could have justifiably called it Bat 4 easily. Going all the way could then have been the final goodbye I think. The lyrics in Angels Arise "Gotham City is our home..." could easily have been changed to "this Godforsaken Town is our home" to tie in with AFL. It's a disgrace hardly anyone will ever hear Angels Arise. The ending "As the night must surely, always, always fall" with the counter point piano backing and lyric "Looks like it's gonna be a dark one tonight" are some of Steinman's best ideas ever imo.
Note: It's not up to me what an artist does at all. These are just my dream ideas.

I agree with Evil, really not sure those blog mentioned song titles / lyrics ever existed as full songs. Nothing has ever materialised from these in all the random Dream Engine Malarky / Jim tribute shows that appeared in random places (with his involvement at times) from what I've read.

Last edited by AndrewG; 11 Jul 2016 at 11:47.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 11 Jul 2016, 14:02   #5
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
The lyrics in Angels Arise "Gotham City is our home..." could easily have been changed to "this Godforsaken Town is our home" to tie in with AFL. It's a disgrace hardly anyone will ever hear Angels Arise. The ending "As the night must surely, always, always fall" with the counter point piano backing and lyric "Looks like it's gonna be a dark one tonight" are some of Steinman's best ideas ever imo.
I think one of the most appropriate lyrics from the DOTV version of Angels Arise is "There's every sign that once upon a time is starting right here and now." I think considering everything Jim has written is part of one massive adult fairy tale tapestry that line could be used to open any work he is part of and fit in just fine.

I can only think that Graveyard Shift was either a bit too theatrical even for Braver, or Jim didn't have the time/inclination/desire to rewrite it ( the lyrics about lives destroyed by crime might have worked outside the Batman concept but may have been too left field on an album that is already so far outside the ballpark that's it's half way home on the bus while the game is still playing - in a good way )
Old 12 Jul 2016, 08:48   #6
proctorloaf
Super Loafer

We're Still The Children
Graveyard Shift
Tonight is what it means to be young

The final goodbye?
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2016, 13:41   #7
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
We're Still The Children
Graveyard Shift
Tonight is what it means to be young

The final goodbye?
Very doubtful. If BRAVER gets heavily trashed when it comes out I think Meat will call it a day. Ifit goes over we might see a song or two from the BAT musical come out on another greatest hits package or from the BAT soundtrack,
Now if BAT the musical goes down in flames much like DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES and BRAVER does well, maybe Jim will want to do something more with Meat as he tends to run back to Meat when other projects don't work out
renegadeangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2016, 19:22   #8
loaferman61
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeangel View Post
Very doubtful. If BRAVER gets heavily trashed when it comes out I think Meat will call it a day. Ifit goes over we might see a song or two from the BAT musical come out on another greatest hits package or from the BAT soundtrack,
Now if BAT the musical goes down in flames much like DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES and BRAVER does well, maybe Jim will want to do something more with Meat as he tends to run back to Meat when other projects don't work out
True. But a lot of people simply are not going to understand "Braver". I think Meat has indicated that he knows this. It is just so very different. Given that mention has been made of Meat recording "Body" I think that might end up being the finale provided the musical is successful enough to get an album.

Since Jim recycles his own songs in so many ways, I have to wonder how many fully written songs he has left after the ones that make the musical? Unless they really want to reach back to the ancient stuff which I can't see - even though Braver does mine some of that territory.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2016, 20:32   #9
Danny L
Super Loafer

Braver could be hit or miss, the old Skool BOOH should enjoy it, it's a great album, but maybe it's about target audience. I admit the song chpices are very unexpected, but good. Well have to see. I enjoy it :)

Musical theatre is a completely different arena altogether. People will ho and see the show because its Bat Out of Hell, the songs are known well and have commercial welly. Also theatre is a lot broader than the record industry.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 01:00   #10
Fire Ball
Himself

Quote:

Not Allowed To Love
We're Still The Children

Paradise Lost
No Lips Hands Or Butts
The Powers Of Darkness

There to is a theme to album , Jim and I went through every song , AS far as LYADJ, I love Bonnie but our Track kills the old one, which by the way Jim produced , he loves the new modern Version and my new arrangement of LYADJ . "what part Body", Jim wanted to do it , Sonenberg said we couldn't , Jim Gave Michael Cole the producer of the play the Album for his plane ride , he listened 3 times told Jim the Record is amazing , then ask " Why didn't you Do "What part of my body hurts the most " go figure!! Jim produced LYADJ for Bonnie ,I didn't know he produced , when he said I think that is a very good idea (it goes with the story line ) I said "well that production sucked" , then Jim said I Produced that song , That is called foot in mouth , but he laughed . Jimmy loves the new version and will tell you so You can pick apart the record all you want . I know how great this record is and so does Jim !!! It's like 1977 all over again !! Every one hated Bat ... Nothing changes everything Stays the same !! Some of those titles you listed are not even real songs !!

Fire Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2016, 03:37   #11
Fire Ball
Himself

Default Albums

I have never made an album that is just a collection of songs , there has always been a reason within the album that the song appears , there is a reason for it there is a story line to every record . I left songs off records that become hits for other artist . THEY DID NOT FIT WHAT MY STORY LINE !! . M
7 Users Like This Post.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 03:39   #12
Fire Ball
Himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
To me there's no point Meat doing covers that Bonnie has done as they are mostly quite well known and quite well produced in the first place. Not really sure Loving you was necessary or even Meat's duet rendition of It's all Coming Back (original and Celine Dion version are more memorable imo). Total Eclipse and Bonnie's Making Love to my ears were definitive versions. I remember hearing Bonnie's Making Love on the radio in 1995 and thought it was first Total Eclipse and then a sequel (never heard the original) within 5 seconds so that says enough.

Stark Raving Love and Dance in my pants could have been on Braver imo. The one song I don't get why it's missing is Graveyard Shift. I think it's an excellent song "I see it all!". Probably better than some that have made it on Braver. Had all of these together with the Angels Arise choir with pounding Piano (album opening) and Body been on Braver too I think they could have justifiably called it Bat 4 easily. Going all the way could then have been the final goodbye I think. The lyrics in Angels Arise "Gotham City is our home..." could easily have been changed to "this Godforsaken Town is our home" to tie in with AFL. It's a disgrace hardly anyone will ever hear Angels Arise. The ending "As the night must surely, always, always fall" with the counter point piano backing and lyric "Looks like it's gonna be a dark one tonight" are some of Steinman's best ideas ever imo.
Note: It's not up to me what an artist does at all. These are just my dream ideas.

I agree with Evil, really not sure those blog mentioned song titles / lyrics ever existed as full songs. Nothing has ever materialised from these in all the random Dream Engine Malarky / Jim tribute shows that appeared in random places (with his involvement at times) from what I've read.
Well Andrew you might have to change what is a definitive version . M
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 03:42   #13
Fire Ball
Himself

Default BTWA

There to is a theme to album , Jim and I went through every song , AS far as LYADJ, I love Bonnie but our Track kills the old one, which by the way Jim produced , he loves the new modern Version and my new arrangement of LYADJ . "what part Body", Jim wanted to do it , Sonenberg said we couldn't , Jim Gave Michael Cole the producer of the play the Album for his plane ride , he listened 3 times told Jim the Record is amazing , then ask " Why didn't you Do "What part of my body hurts the most " go figure!! Jim produced LYADJ for Bonnie ,I didn't know he produced , when he said I think that is a very good idea (it goes with the story line ) I said "well that production sucked" , then Jim said I Produced that song , That is called foot in mouth , but he laughed . Jimmy loves the new version and will tell you so You can pick apart the record all you want . I know how great this record is and so does Jim !!! It's like 1977 all over again !! Every one hated Bat ... Nothing changes everything Stays the same !! Some of those titles you listed are not even real songs !!
5 Users Like This Post.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 03:45   #14
Fire Ball
Himself

Default So Glad

I have so much support here !! Right !!!
3 Users Like This Post.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 04:33   #15
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Ball View Post
You do Meat .. and remember, many of us have not heard anything but the short edit you have released, and don't join in the oughta/shoulda debates But come September .. you'll see and hear from us
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 13:41   #16
renegadeangel
Super Loafer

Quote:
Actually you do. Braver is a work of art and as all works of art they are open to opinions and criticism. Braver grows on you as you listen to it and at least for me every time I do I hear something new.
It won't maybe be for everybody in the mainstream with the music business the way it is but it has classic written all over it.
At least in my opinion.
renegadeangel is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 13:51   #17
PanicLord
Mega Loafer

Quote:
You absolutely do! From the snippets I've heard it's a very different sound to what people are expecting. Who Needs The Young made me laugh out loud with pleasure it's a brilliant opener. Can't wait to hear the rest in full.
PanicLord is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 14:18   #18
Danny L
Super Loafer

I love Braver already, the tracks sound fresh and new while bringing back the bombastic energy we know Meat Loaf & Steinman for.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 14:41   #19
roomster
Super Loafer

Quote:
"what part Body", Jim wanted to do it , Sonenberg said we couldn't
What gives Sonenberg the power to decide this?

Can someone enlighten me?
roomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2016, 15:23   #20
Danny L
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomster View Post
What gives Sonenberg the power to decide this?

Can someone enlighten me?
Maybe the song's contractually tied up in BOOH The Musical?
Old 16 Jul 2016, 21:08   #21
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Without doubt. The album is straight in my top three albums. I can never remember hearing an album ever, by anyone, that was just right there in my heart like this one. That was the reason i had to send Jim the review, because to me it is almost indescribable to put the whole thing in words...must be why it took nearly 4000 of them when all was said and done.

And i think, particularly songs like Skulls (the last couple of minutes are like a direct response to what has been happening in France and Turkey these last few days and what will no doubt continue to happen in this tragic world we live in) and Godz actually have more relevance today than they did when Jim wrote them in the 60s. Everything has a time and they have definitely come at the right time.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 16 Jul 2016, 21:16   #22
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkent7 View Post
Without doubt. The album is straight in my top three albums. I can never remember hearing an album ever, by anyone, that was just right there in my heart like this one. That was the reason i had to send Jim the review, because to me it is almost indescribable to put the whole thing in words...must be why it took nearly 4000 of them when all was said and done.

And i think, particularly songs like Skulls (the last couple of minutes are like a direct response to what has been happening in France and Turkey these last few days and what will no doubt continue to happen in this tragic world we live in) and Godz actually have more relevance today than they did when Jim wrote them in the 60s. Everything has a time and they have definitely come at the right time.
That was you? Amazing review I read it a few weeks ago. Best Meat Loaf review I've ever read.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2016, 21:21   #23
Wario
Monstro helps me spell things...

Quote:
Maybe the song's contractually tied up in BOOH The Musical?
lets hope thats why. or hes literally satan.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2016, 21:29   #24
nikox1
Mega Loafer

Tied up to the musical and different label
nikox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2016, 23:20   #25
Fire Ball
Himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeangel View Post

Jim and I thank you for the positive attitude for both projects . Nice going !!
I have already called it a day , there are no more tours ... Just the promo tour for the record !!
1 User Likes This Post.