mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages » Lost Boys and Golden Girls

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 26 Apr 2017, 21:08   #176
Danny L
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 06.02.2003
Location:  Rutland, England
Posts: 413
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltmatt View Post
Clearly hasn't. I saw it for the 3rd time the other week and Strat actually kissed Tink on the lips.

There's an article in Gaytimes magazine with Andrew Polec the main strat and he even mentions there's gay love in the musical.
In one ensemble point there are definitely same sex pairs dancing.
Danny L is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 02 May 2017, 12:31   #177
eltmatt
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 04.03.2010
Posts: 175
Default

Yes that as well^
eltmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 May 2017, 23:45   #178
mindnick1
Sound Guy
 
Join Date: 25.11.2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
When is Tyce - Surfs Up coming out Nick?
defiantly on the list, and likely next :), along with a few other gems.....what else would anyone like redone or reinvented by Tyce, me and Zak....

nicky
mindnick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 09 May 2017, 08:03   #179
letsgotoofar
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 12.09.2016
Location: In front of a computer, duh.
Posts: 196
Default

Okay, this one's a bit out of left field, but hear me out: "Stark Raving Love" is the perfect choice for a redo/reinvention. Justification, ahoy!
  • It wasn't favored with the most memorable production or arrangement the first time around (aside from the prominent melodic motif that was reused in the original version of "Hero"... okay, and Davey Johnstone's multiple guitar finale)
  • As a consequence, it doesn't get nearly as much attention as other Jim songs
  • The two points above, combined, would theoretically allow one to really put their own stamp on it without having to fight an uphill battle against people's fond memories of the original song or a particular arrangement of it

In fact, "Stark Raving Love" is so underrated that many Jim fans don't even consider it a favorite. It's the perfect opportunity to tilt perceptions of the song on their heads and really turn the beat around. (Hehe... see why I did there? You like it, don't lie.)

Last edited by letsgotoofar; 09 May 2017 at 08:10.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2017, 10:19   #180
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!
 
Join Date: 18.01.2004
Location:  Northamptonshire
Posts: 6,818
Default

Probably unlikely to record Stark if quite a bit of the focus was on Holding Out For a Hero so recently I think.

Love hearing that somewhat slowed down riff though on the original even if Stark sounds a bit underdeveloped (the re-use of the Lost Boys/Golden Girls bit, is a bit meh). The guitar duel at the end on the original is awesome however. Probably would have preferred this on Bat 3 or on Braver instead of some of the songs we did get such as "What if God could talk" / "Cry Over Me" / "Who needs the young".
In fact Stark would have made a killer opening tune on Braver in comparison to the bizarre circus thing we got I think. Perhaps remove the fade out at the end and tag on a proper ending then lead on into GATW. Since some of the rest of the stuff on Braver was from the original ideas before they got recycled "Turn around", there was no reason to avoid that song I think. (Other than not being able to say "this is the first song Jim wrote and was going to be on Bat" - I still don't think it matters when a song sounds so polarising. Stark would have suited the Crook guitar production too I reckon.

Certainly more interesting for anyone recording that song than the more overly popular songs at this stage.

Last edited by AndrewG; 09 May 2017 at 10:25.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2017, 00:50   #181
letsgotoofar
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 12.09.2016
Location: In front of a computer, duh.
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Probably unlikely to record Stark if quite a bit of the focus was on Holding Out For a Hero so recently I think.
If memory serves, though, their arrangement of "Hero" didn't even use that riff. Granted, I haven't listened to Tyce's in a while (CD player is in the shop), but I'm pretty sure the arrangement made a point of being very different from the original. Hell, going back to the Over the Top (later Dream Engine) arrangement used at early gigs, the riff only existed as a piano intro, and then the rest of the song dispensed with it completely. Seems to me if they didn't include the riff, they can tackle the song it originated in with no trouble.

Quote:
Certainly more interesting for anyone recording that song than the more overly popular songs at this stage.
On that we can agree for sure!
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 22:44   #182
mindnick1
Sound Guy
 
Join Date: 25.11.2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 184
Default

We did use the riff once close to the begining, it is buried in the mix a little more than i would have liked but it is there, we put it in as a "nod" to the original..

Nick
mindnick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 15:36   #183
nightinr
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 04.09.2011
Posts: 202
Default

Any news on the UK tour Nick?
nightinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 23:40   #184
mindnick1
Sound Guy
 
Join Date: 25.11.2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightinr View Post
Any news on the UK tour Nick?
we are looking at a short east coast US tour Sept/Oct this year and the UK for April/May 2018
mindnick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 20:50   #185
Meat Loaf_fan
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 01.03.2008
Location:  Gdańsk (Poland)
Posts: 298
Default

My CD arrived two days ago. I was (and still is) very happy with that. The first (studio) CD was made big impression to me. It's fantastic!

Songs that made biggest impression to me:
1. Holding Out For A Hero - wow ...it's more rockier than Bonnie Tyler's version. In other words: Bonnie did very good job, but Tyce version is stellar; it's so good that it should be big hit in Tyce concerts;
5. Total Eclipse Of The Heart - very good cover (and, perhaps, better than original);
6. It's All Coming Back To Me Now - superb job done by Tyce!
7. I'm Gonna Love Her For Both Of Us - I was shocked when I hear this. Why? I think that melody is better than in Meat's version.
8. Objects In The Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are - another fantastic interpretation done by Tyce (and crew) .

Second (acoustic) CD is also very good! I think that all songs (their interpretation) are superb, and "For Crying Out Loud" is the king among them.


PS. I will buy another Tyce CD, because he proved that he is fantastic singer.
Meat Loaf_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 27 May 2017, 04:03   #186
MarkS
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 20.03.2012
Posts: 282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindnick1 View Post
we are looking at a short east coast US tour Sept/Oct this year and the UK for April/May 2018
The more I listen to this album the more I have just fallen in love with it and can't wait to hear more.

Probably wishful thinking on my part, but any chance that Nashville or Atlanta makes that US tour. I would drive to one or both honestly.
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 27 May 2017, 22:58   #187
mindnick1
Sound Guy
 
Join Date: 25.11.2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Loaf_fan View Post
My CD arrived two days ago. I was (and still is) very happy with that. The first (studio) CD was made big impression to me. It's fantastic!

Songs that made biggest impression to me:
1. Holding Out For A Hero - wow ...it's more rockier than Bonnie Tyler's version. In other words: Bonnie did very good job, but Tyce version is stellar; it's so good that it should be big hit in Tyce concerts;
5. Total Eclipse Of The Heart - very good cover (and, perhaps, better than original);
6. It's All Coming Back To Me Now - superb job done by Tyce!
7. I'm Gonna Love Her For Both Of Us - I was shocked when I hear this. Why? I think that melody is better than in Meat's version.
8. Objects In The Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are - another fantastic interpretation done by Tyce (and crew) .

Second (acoustic) CD is also very good! I think that all songs (their interpretation) are superb, and "For Crying Out Loud" is the king among them.


PS. I will buy another Tyce CD, because he proved that he is fantastic singer.
Wow what a review, this makes it all worth it, such amazing compliments!!!!
Reallly wish we could make it to Poland for some shows!! You never know!!!!
If you are ever in the USA please let us know!!!!!
mindnick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 27 May 2017, 23:03   #188
mindnick1
Sound Guy
 
Join Date: 25.11.2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
The more I listen to this album the more I have just fallen in love with it and can't wait to hear more.


Probably wishful thinking on my part, but any chance that Nashville or Atlanta makes that US tour. I would drive to one or both honestly.
more!!? How did you know hahh!!! We will be in Nashville July to record 3 more!!

There is a strong chance of a Nashville show, i know the booker was working on it, the main producer of Hero Zak lives is Nash, so we may actually rehearse there prior
Confirmed dates, orhers to follow
Nyc sept 27
Phili sept 28
Cleveland sep 29
Chicago sep 30
mindnick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 00:24   #189
MarkS
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 20.03.2012
Posts: 282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindnick1 View Post
more!!? How did you know hahh!!! We will be in Nashville July to record 3 more!!

There is a strong chance of a Nashville show, 0
Excellent news on both accounts. I'm about 90 minutes from Nashville so I'm all over that show if it comes to fruition
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Nov 2017, 21:56   #190
2jaxx
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 19.07.2006
Location:  
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindnick1 View Post
...so then it was a choice to steal the enitre album, and not a "trial" because you did not want to waste your money.
I think this opinion is really bad for business and doesn't let you look good.It might prevent some potential buyers from buying anything from you. I stopped buying magazines where the clerk told me in a harsh tone I couldn't browse all the magazines and then decide to buy them.
I remember Lars Ulrich once said he doesn't need a fan who copies his music. That guy who copies it is still a fan. He is a potential customer, a potential ticket buyer and a potential merch buyer. Maybe he would never buy the music if he never had the chance to listen to the whole thing. And what does one steal who doesn't take anything from you. Do you have less of it now? The term stealing is very polemic in this context. I have bought a lot of music I have copied before. I always had a specific budget for music. I would say I have bought more since copying has become so easy. But I never would have had the budget to buy everything.
I still can become a fan and go to a concert, still generate income for the musicians I like without having bought an album. Copying is actually free promotion!
I certainly prefer streaming services for this purpose, there is still some money going directly to the artists, that's a plus. But I think we have to start embracing the idea that anyone listening to the music can be a worthy fan.
Of course leaking before release is still piracy.
It is ripping you off the chance to determine the right moment to publish the music.
2jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Dislike This Post.
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 06 Dec 2017, 07:08   #191
mindnick1
Sound Guy
 
Join Date: 25.11.2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 184
Default

The music was downloaded and passed around the day it was released..totally wrong!! And yes we artist do get paid from streaming, i have lots of other music out there and my retirement check just came in for this month and I made $8!!! So when someone openly steals my art I will call them out in it...well carry on (if you do) downloading music so the artist does not get paid, then when you hear yourself in years to come say “wow so much garbage music out there” you will then understand why...all the musicians will be gone....and no organic music will be left...carry on mark my words.

Respectfully i 100% disagree with every word you said.
mindnick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 08 Dec 2017, 23:45   #192
2jaxx
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 19.07.2006
Location:  
Posts: 108
Default

Well you keep on using the term "steal", and that term is totally wrong. Is walking into a museum and taking one of the pictures the same thing as taking a photograph? You should embrace the idea that there are actually people who buy records after listening to a ripped copy. I have done so many times. Those are records I wouldn't have bought otherwise. In the past, passing on tapes was a way to promote music to friends, who later often bought records and went to shows. Consider that not everyone who gets his hands on a copy would have bought the record in the first place. But it is a way to spread the word about your art.
Now talking the way you do could actually put some people off. And it paints a picture of a desperate salesman who would put up higher price tags to compensate for a decline in sales. Just my two cents.
2jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Dislikes This Post.
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 11 Dec 2017, 20:51   #193
mindnick1
Sound Guy
 
Join Date: 25.11.2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jaxx View Post
Well you keep on using the term "steal", and that term is totally wrong. Is walking into a museum and taking one of the pictures the same thing as taking a photograph? You should embrace the idea that there are actually people who buy records after listening to a ripped copy. I have done so many times. Those are records I wouldn't have bought otherwise. In the past, passing on tapes was a way to promote music to friends, who later often bought records and went to shows. Consider that not everyone who gets his hands on a copy would have bought the record in the first place. But it is a way to spread the word about your art.
Now talking the way you do could actually put some people off. And it paints a picture of a desperate salesman who would put up higher price tags to compensate for a decline in sales. Just my two cents.
Here is the definition of "Steal"..
"to take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it"

We did not give anyone the legal right to take our material without paying, and the other persons property (mine) was taken without any payment to the label.......so thats why i use and will continue to use the word steal...

I am open to a proper discussion, but please don't be disrespectful buy calling me a desperate salesman.....in fact i have offered free albums out of my pocket to some people on here and other sites who could not afford it....our sales are doing fine....I am a musician and illegal downloads takes food off my table...this whole notion of...well let me download it first then i will buy it is complete nonsense, you may go out and buy it after, but generally that is not what people do...they may say so....but really come on...its a cop out and an easy thing to say to save face...obv not you....what set me off here on this site is that someone openly bragged about illegally downloading and spreading the album all over the web the day it was released.

I know Meat feels the same way....how do i know? well he told me.....I met him in the thanks to my friend Bob Kulick, he invited to the dressing room where he said he would have Meat sign my albums, i was young at the time so really had no clue what Meat was really talking about when he refused to sign a bootleg album i had.....I went on to become a musician and now totally understand why he would not sign it...

Anyway....do you have there HERO album? CD or Download?

NJ
mindnick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 14:44   #194
Adje
trying to be realistic
 
Join Date: 28.09.2007
Location:  
Posts: 1,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindnick1 View Post
what set me off here on this site is that someone openly bragged about illegally downloading and spreading the album all over the web the day it was released.


NJ
Wrong!

Download, yes. Spreading, no.
And I had nothing about the album to bragg about, anyway.

Please keep your facts straight
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2017, 20:42   #195
mindnick1
Sound Guy
 
Join Date: 25.11.2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
Wrong!

Download, yes. Spreading, no.
And I had nothing about the album to bragg about, anyway.

Please keep your facts straight
So lets get one thing straight....this has nothing to do with me trying to sell an album, or bragging about it....everyone has their own opinion and i welcome it all and all positive and negative reviews, if you don't like it thats fine...but not the point.....this discussion is about downloading an album without paying the artist....so lets see, you said above you downloaded the album, lets talk about where you got it from, if you got it from Amazon, iTunes or whatever show me the receipt and i will refund you as you don't like it....no problem there....if you got it from another source where was that? probably another person uploaded it somewhere and SPREAD it around and maybe you got a free copy...lets see where you got it from please so we can have a proper discussion.
mindnick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Dec 2017, 21:00   #196
Adje
trying to be realistic
 
Join Date: 28.09.2007
Location:  
Posts: 1,796
Default

Actually, my comment is about you saying:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindnick1 View Post
someone openly bragged about illegally downloading and spreading the album all over the web the day it was released.
I did not brag neither did I spread. But I did download it. It's a classic 'two out of three'. The fact that I obtained this for free, doesn't mean I shared it with others.

As for you calling it 'stealing' is fine by me. I have no problem with you calling it that.

If you mean that others spread this. Sure they did. In fact, I can't imagine any product, available by download, that isn't spread for free. Movies, music, software. Good luck preventing the internet from doing so. This is what you have to deal with. Obviously it's not going away, like it or not. It's the current standard of society. That doesn't mean that it is right, but it does mean you, yes YOU need to make an extra effort for people to BUY it.

And I have a huge collection of BluRay movies and music. And I dare to say that over 75% of my legal collection, I downloaded them for free, before I bought them. And despite what you think, it is not uncommon these days. With all the crap that is coming out, it is impossible to buy everything. And listening to a 30 second clip isn't the same as listening the album at the record store, as I just to do, ages ago. So I am happy with these free srevices. It makes things easier for me to put the money I have with the product I want to spend it on. I am happy to use and benefit from this opportunity. BTW it also means that I threw the Tyce album in my PC trash bin, months ago. In fact, I have only a few free downloads on my PC, and those are waiting to be replaced by 'the real thing'. Either because they are out of stock/no longer available or because I haven't had the time or money to buy them right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindnick1 View Post
if you got it from Amazon, iTunes or whatever show me the receipt and i will refund you as you don't like it....no problem there...
I admire that. I wouldn't go too public with that though, from a business point of view. But cudos for that.

As for my source, again, if you can't find it, why worry. It probbably means a lot of people can't. Besides it changes nothing to the discussion.

Last edited by Adje; 12 Dec 2017 at 21:20.
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Dec 2017, 19:07   #197
mindnick1
Sound Guy
 
Join Date: 25.11.2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adje View Post
Actually, my comment is about you saying:



I did not brag neither did I spread. But I did download it. It's a classic 'two out of three'. The fact that I obtained this for free, doesn't mean I shared it with others.

As for you calling it 'stealing' is fine by me. I have no problem with you calling it that.

If you mean that others spread this. Sure they did. In fact, I can't imagine any product, available by download, that isn't spread for free. Movies, music, software. Good luck preventing the internet from doing so. This is what you have to deal with. Obviously it's not going away, like it or not. It's the current standard of society. That doesn't mean that it is right, but it does mean you, yes YOU need to make an extra effort for people to BUY it.

And I have a huge collection of BluRay movies and music. And I dare to say that over 75% of my legal collection, I downloaded them for free, before I bought them. And despite what you think, it is not uncommon these days. With all the crap that is coming out, it is impossible to buy everything. And listening to a 30 second clip isn't the same as listening the album at the record store, as I just to do, ages ago. So I am happy with these free srevices. It makes things easier for me to put the money I have with the product I want to spend it on. I am happy to use and benefit from this opportunity. BTW it also means that I threw the Tyce album in my PC trash bin, months ago. In fact, I have only a few free downloads on my PC, and those are waiting to be replaced by 'the real thing'. Either because they are out of stock/no longer available or because I haven't had the time or money to buy them right now.


I admire that. I wouldn't go too public with that though, from a business point of view. But cudos for that.

As for my source, again, if you can't find it, why worry. It probbably means a lot of people can't. Besides it changes nothing to the discussion.
I have no intention of ever trying prevent the internet and downloads etc, that would be insane.....I suppose my mistake is thinking that this site would have some fans who may support and not steal the album.......here is the problem with what your doing.......

Anyone ever wonder why Tribute Bands are so huge? at least here in LA they are huge!!!!.....well its because most music out there is substandard so people automatically go to proven music like Zep and The Beatles, proper music as we may call it, Musicians know they can't make money and survive from releasing albums due to illegal downloading so they hit the tribute scene....Back in the day you bought the CD or Vinyl and helped support the artist etc and they continued to write new music, we are only tackling two cups of coffee here to support new music by the way.......why would anyone write new music or redo old music when its just taken away from them for free?...so they either hit up a tribute band to pay the bills (me I'm in a Joe Cocker Tribute) or they end up getting job out of music......the elite bands still make money from back catalogs etc but new want to be artist are backed in a corner where there only outlet is to try is Idol, the Voice and other BS shows....which are ALL fixed by the way.....so bottom line YOU and others like you are contributing to the downfall of music.......15 years ago i had 40 guitar students, now i have 3........these youngsters are smart by not getting into the biz......so where will good music come from?........these are facts, i live and breath music every day and its super sad when i come to site like this looking for support for a very similar artist who has been backed publicly by jim himself...Did you also download the BOH musical CD? just curious..or how about Braver by Meat, did you also download that.....and if so did you like it enough to go out a purchase it?

NJ
mindnick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Dec 2017, 00:13   #198
Adje
trying to be realistic
 
Join Date: 28.09.2007
Location:  
Posts: 1,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindnick1 View Post
Did you also download the BOH musical CD? just curious..or how about Braver by Meat, did you also download that.....and if so did you like it enough to go out a purchase it?

NJ
Musical, no. Althought I heard songs and they sound too much 'Grease' to me. So, although I had the oportunity, I didn't download as I can't be bothered by it.

Braver, YES. I have 4 copies (3x CD and 1x Vinyl) but I downloaded that one first. To be fair, I would have bought it either way, eventhough I don't find it that interesting to listen to.

As I said, I buy quite a lot, if not, the download ends up in my trash bin. Unless I like it but it's impossible to obtain the product (out of stock and such). Sorry man, Tyce CD, you already know how I graded it. It ended up in the trash bin of my PC. If I had liked it, I would have bought it. I just didn't like it. And if I did not have the oportunity to listen to it in full first, I wouldn't have bought it anyway. Those are the terms I demand from my spending habbits. It's a luxery I have and make use of.

As for the entire 'Music business ends' rant, I disagree. Although times have changed since the internet, I prefer artists that have Heart for their music, not for THE SUCCESS. THAT is the Voice, Got Talent etc. mentallity. Even today, some of the finest bands/artists got their fame by performing live in clubs (or even doing original stuff on YouTube) before they got the succes of becoming selling artists. Besides, I think real quality prevails anyway. Look at the succes of Adele. Adele created three original songs for a class project. She later posted the tracks along with numerous others on her MySpace profile. The tracks went viral and eventually got to executives from XL recordings.

I guess there are 2 ways to look at music. You can see it as an art, or as a business. If you agree that it is a form of art, just like a good painting/painter, there are only a few out of a million that make money. That is keepng the music business alive, because, downloading or no downloadin, quality prevails.

Last edited by Adje; 14 Dec 2017 at 00:19.
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - mlukfc.com
Made by R. Hosted by noscon.it.

Get Firefox!

Page generated in 0.10572 seconds with 15 queries.