mlukfc.com Forums mlukfc.com
Meat Loaf UK Fanclub 
PO BOX 148 
Cheadle Hulme 
Cheshire SK8 6WN 
Go Back   mlukfc.com » mlukfc.com Forums » Meat Loaf » General Messages

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 28 Oct 2017, 09:46   #1
proctorloaf
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 28.02.2010
Location:  Liverpool, UK
Posts: 263
Default If Music Stars did a Bat tribute album...

What would your tracklist and artist wish list be if the worlds of popular music and musical theatre got together to do a Best of Bat tribute album like they did with Whistle Down the Wind?

Here's mine:
Bat Out Of Hell - Alfie Bow
You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night) - Coldplay
Heaven Can Wait - Bette Midler
All Revved Up with No Place to Go / Wasted Youth - The Killers
Two Out of Three Ain't Bad - Idina Menzel & Josh Groben
Paradise by the Dashboard Light - Jools Holland orchestra vocals by Ruby Turner and Mick Hucknull
For Crying Out Loud - Ramin Karimloo

Dead Ringer for Love - Shaun Mendez & Arianna Grande
Who Needs the Young - Robert Plant
Not Allowed To Love - Sam Smith
What Part of My Body Hurts the Most - Meat Loaf
Making Love Out of Nothing at All - Harry Styles
Objects in the Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer than they Are -
Lin-Manuel Miranda, Billy Porter and Aaron Tveit
It's All Coming Back to Me Now - Paloma Faith
I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) Rag n Bone Man & Adele

Bonus:
We're Still the Children - Meat Loaf, Karla DeVito, Ellen Foley, Rory Dodd, Andrew Polec, Christina Bennington, Rob Folwer & Sharon Sexton
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 29 Oct 2017, 21:52   #2
letsgotoofar
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 12.09.2016
Location: In front of a computer, duh.
Posts: 196
Default

Well, the first thing I'll say is that, for me, your instinct is right on the money to do a separate Bat I disc first, so that no one is wasting time sorting through the tracklist to (likely, these days) create their own. Give people what they want up-front (i.e., interesting new takes on the classic album), and then sprinkle it with the other goodies you want them to have. My own list will remain out of the thread till I have time for more of a think.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2017, 16:07   #3
loaferman61
The Boogeyman Fears Me
 
Join Date: 27.03.2003
Location: In Your Nightmares
Posts: 1,437
Default

If there is one album I think was "perfect" it is "Bat Out of Hell". Others can cover it but some things are just meant to be. I find Meat Loaf's interpretations spot on.

The cast album is OK because they are doing it in a different medium (theatrical show vs. rock album with theatrical influences). I do not think any of the cast surpass Meat's versions although some are pretty good. Everyone has their own opinions on that and if they think it does surpass the originals I am happy for them.

As for vocalists I would even attempt to put on such a product I suppose they could try with Adele, Michael Ball, and Jennifer Nettles she can sing anything.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 01 Nov 2017, 13:56   #4
letsgotoofar
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 12.09.2016
Location: In front of a computer, duh.
Posts: 196
Default

I've had time to think more... not enough to add my list of artists yet, but enough to throw in my tuppence as a working producer who knows how to market some stuff.

I would use a mix of contemporary and classic rock artists for the most part, with only a few tracks utilizing musical theater stars. In the case of the Whistle example, the ratio of popular stars of yesterday and today to musical theater stars was 9:3 (with some room for argument on Donny Osmond, who today might be better remembered in some quarters for starring in the American cast of Joseph and the Amazingly Long Title than his pop career). Some musical theater stars can sell, but not enough to justify filling an album with them, so that's something to keep in mind. (Among the things I've already decided definitively, again using the Whistle example where Meat's track also appeared on another album, "Who Needs the Young" would be Meat's contribution. It's a good 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' trade, it could promote sales of Braver in addition to pumping up the musical, and Meat does need to be on there somewhere, but probably won't be up to doing anything genuinely new for a while, so this is a way to at least include him.)

Another is to maybe not do a formal album except for the physical release. Album sales are way down, digitally and in hard copy format. Seeing as there are 21 songs (well, 20 songs and 1 speech) on the cast recording, and 7 x 3 = 21, they split up nicely into three little EPs, maintaining the integrity of Bat I and suggesting a structure for the rest, so I thought I'd stick to the songs (and spoken word) in the show rather than add any non-show bonus tracks, and -- keeping the ratio in mind -- I'd do four songs for celebs and three for theater stars per disc, or, more accurately, "set." It's got a symmetry and balance to it. Plus, more product potentially equals more payday, totting digital and physical sales up.

The last thing to keep in mind is that, as loaferman61 aptly put it, very few albums are "perfect," but Bat I is certainly a candidate. You can't do better than the best. But we're not trying -- no one would try, because they can't succeed -- to replace it. We're trying to think of what would promote the musical. So, knowing we can't replace perfection, and knowing it's only to sell, let's just have fun! Let's throw names at the wall. You always thought The Darkness could do a track? Put it down! You think maybe Dolly Parton would do something interesting? Why not! It's an exercise in imagination.

More to follow!

Last edited by letsgotoofar; 01 Nov 2017 at 14:48.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2017, 10:04   #5
proctorloaf
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 28.02.2010
Location:  Liverpool, UK
Posts: 263
Default

Hey - I also work in show business

Alfie Bow had the best selling UK album (with Micheal Ball) in 2016
Idina Menzel sang on the biggest selling Disney Movie of all time - Frozen
Lin-Manuel Miranda - wrote Hamilton which has been sold out in the US for 3+ years and sold out in 2 weeks when put on sale in the UK a year ahead of opening.

There might be call for a Take That or the like in my list.

Ramin is my only indulgence, but only because he's one of the top 5 best male vocalists in the world right now.

Musical Theatre stars have a place in this album's story. Bat out of Hell is the most successful Musical Theatre soundtrack album of all time. It's 6 songs from a Musical and 1 filler (Two out of 3). Lucky for us Steinman doesn't write fillers because he's a genius.

I tried to mix contemporary and legacy artists in disc 2. Trying by best to keep Beiber and Sheeran out of it.

ps - my idea for this album is a reaction to the Musical which was in Manchester and London and has just opened in Toronto.
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2017, 20:11   #6
Evil One
Mega Loafer
 
Join Date: 15.01.2007
Posts: 5,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
It's 6 songs from a Musical and 1 filler (Two out of 3)
Two Out Of Three is not filler. What a load of toss
Evil One is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Users Like This Post.
Old 03 Nov 2017, 23:42   #7
loaferman61
The Boogeyman Fears Me
 
Join Date: 27.03.2003
Location: In Your Nightmares
Posts: 1,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil One View Post
Two Out Of Three is not filler. What a load of toss
Agreed. Every song has a place. The closest to a "perfect" album there will ever be in my book.
loaferman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2017, 10:42   #8
letsgotoofar
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 12.09.2016
Location: In front of a computer, duh.
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
Hey - I also work in show business
Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
Alfie Bow had the best selling UK album (with Micheal Ball) in 2016
Idina Menzel sang on the biggest selling Disney Movie of all time - Frozen
Lin-Manuel Miranda - wrote Hamilton which has been sold out in the US for 3+ years and sold out in 2 weeks when put on sale in the UK a year ahead of opening.

There might be call for a Take That or the like in my list.

Ramin is my only indulgence, but only because he's one of the top 5 best male vocalists in the world right now.
All of which are relevant - to your choices. Implying that they wouldn't be mine shouldn't draw such umbrage. (You'd also be surprised where we agree; you choosing Lin-Manuel inspired me to choose him for my list, but for a different track. While he's a competent singer in my opinion, I think he really excels at spoken word, which might be giving too much away, but I'm gearing up to post my list shortly anyway, so it's not a big reveal.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
Musical Theatre stars have a place in this album's story. Bat out of Hell is the most successful Musical Theatre soundtrack album of all time. It's 6 songs from a Musical and 1 filler (Two out of 3). Lucky for us Steinman doesn't write fillers because he's a genius.
I agree, which is why I didn't say none; I said I personally would use less, taking nothing away from what anyone else would choose. (Also, personally speaking, whatever "Two Out of Three Ain't," it also ain't filler, to me anyway.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
I tried to mix contemporary and legacy artists in disc 2. Trying by best to keep Beiber and Sheeran out of it.
Apparently Harry Styles is okay though. (Kidding - I actually quite like the direction he's taking, now that it's not One. See what I did there?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proctorloaf View Post
ps - my idea for this album is a reaction to the Musical which was in Manchester and London and has just opened in Toronto.
Agreed, as is mine.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 05 Nov 2017, 15:18   #9
letsgotoofar
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 12.09.2016
Location: In front of a computer, duh.
Posts: 196
Default

The appearance of (part of) my list at last!

First things first, as I said in my initial "idea throw-down," if I ruled the Bat universe, I would make it a two-pronged release: in digital markets, the 20 songs and 1 speech would be split between three themed EP's; in terms of physical release, they would be placed on one CD in show order, with digital download links included to allow the buyer to hear them in the EP sequence. It just makes the most sense to me, and creates the potential for more cash in hand.

EP #1, following proctorloaf's precedent, would reflect the original Bat I sequence, albeit with "All Revved Up" reflecting the version that's in the show more so than the version on the original album. And here's who I'd pick to sing what:
  1. Bat Out of Hell - Queen + Adam Lambert
  2. You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Hot Summer Night) - Tenacious D
  3. Heaven Can Wait - Audra McDonald
  4. All Revved Up With No Place to Go / Wasted Youth - Panic(!) at the Disco (not sure if they're using the exclamation mark anymore, hence the parentheses)
  5. Two Out of Three Ain't Bad - Rob Evan
  6. Paradise By The Dashboard Light - P!nk feat. Miley Cyrus
  7. For Crying Out Loud - Tyce ("also featured on the album Hero, available from select online vendors!")

I know I'm going to have to defend some of these choices, so here's my logic for each:
  • Queen + Adam Lambert - I know, I know, they're only half there anymore (literally), but they're the only band over-the-top enough to do it. Brian May would be great for the guitar part, and Adam Lambert proved with "Hot Patootie" in the Rocky Horror TV remake that while he could never replace the memory of Meat, he has just enough mettle (and, indeed, metal) to give any song of his a good whack and leave a memorable impression.
  • Tenacious D - First things first, I like the idea of stripping it down to two guys on acoustics compared to the ersatz-Spector original; aside from "acoustic" B-sides on some of Meat's Bat II singles, we've never heard Jim lite, so it's a novelty already for that reason. (It's my understanding that an earlier producing team on the Bat musical wanted some tracks on the celebrity tie-in album to be produced by Rick Rubin in a stripped-down style reflecting his work with Johnny Cash, including a Leonard Cohen rendition of "Heaven Can Wait," so this impulse to explore the unexplored is right on target.) I also feel that Tenacious D is the right choice because they have the optimal blend of humor and spirit that this song needs. I mean, look back at that original video... look at that take on the speech where Jim and Karla scream their lines as if they were teenagers who haven't learned how to emote properly. It highlights the fact that the opening dialogue has no relevance whatsoever to the song that follows it. It's cheesy erotic horror mixed with a cute teenage love song, and if that doesn't scream Tenacious D, then you need to listen to "~~~~ Her Gently."
  • Audra McDonald - This is admittedly one where I'd be willing to see it swapped out for other markets (like, say, picking Charlotte Church or Hayley Westenra for the UK); recognizing that "Heaven Can Wait" is performed by a woman in the musical, any female vocalist would be a logical choice, but to me, Audra has one of the most brilliant voices in theater today.
  • Panic(!) at the Disco - Brendon Urie's voice (and he has a massive range, btw) was the mainstream voice that most reminded me of Andrew Polec, with a little more texture and grit to it -- throw in a guest sax player, perhaps from Paul Shaffer's band on the old Letterman show now that Clarence "The Big Man" Clemons, the ideal choice, is no longer here to lend a solo, and you've got the basic makeup. What's that, you say? A sax player? Well, yeah, this is an album for the general public. They're going to want to hear some of what they remember about the original "All Revved Up." Maybe if they stick to the new dance aesthetic and sample the Edgar Winter sax lines at points or something... I dunno, just spitballin'.
  • Rob Evan - Admittedly, again, this could be anybody in another market. I mainly put Rob here because a) it's hard to fill the "four mainstream celebs, three theater people" quotient without running dry, and b) I'd like to throw the guy a bone. Let's face it, Over the Top/The Dream Engine went nowhere, and what little new Steinman material he got from that was consumed by Braver and the musical, so this is the least little thanks he could get for laboring over it for so long (and for little result), especially since his revue Rocktopia is about to open on Broadway for a limited run and could aid Bat's exposure in the States.
  • P!nk feat. Miley Cyrus - This is one of the ones I knew I was going to have to defend the hardest, so bear with me. "Paradise" is probably the toughest choice in a fantasy game like this, in part because aside from karaoke singers and tribute acts whose names are censored on this forum (for good reason), nobody seems to think they can tread on Meat's turf in general, and, aside from artists in foreign languages, there is a widespread temerity about covering this specific song in particular. That said, this album (or series of EP's) would never be recorded without "Paradise," so I decided to think of what would really spice up the track and get people's attention. It's never gonna replace the original, so let's just wing it and have some fun. That's when I realized that the first lesbian "Paradise" ever recorded, by two big stars no less (both belters who could more than handle the male and female tracks), might do the trick. Play-by-play commentary would be by Seth MacFarlane as Quagmire from Family Guy, because if we're gonna go prurient, we're going full-bore. (Hey, you can't say it's not different, at least! And, of course, in a different market, you could swap in whatever pop tarts are gobbling up the charts there.)
  • Tyce - "For Crying Out Loud" was described in many reviews of the original album at the time of its release as anticlimactic. While I don't particularly agree with this thought, I understand why popular critics felt that way. This was buried on the second disc of Tyce's album with the rest of the piano/vocal one-take charlies, but after a full helping of Bat I's gaudy gonzo glory in varying shades and hues, it seems fitting to end where the sound of the whole thing began: in a rehearsal room, with one voice and one piano. Plus, Tyce mainly works in theater, so it helps fill the theater people quotient I set for myself.

The rest of the tracks will follow after more careful thought!
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 05 Nov 2017, 21:56   #10
proctorloaf
Super Loafer
 
Join Date: 28.02.2010
Location:  Liverpool, UK
Posts: 263
Default

I would <3 to hear Heaven Can Wait by Audra McDonald - inspired!!!
proctorloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2017, 17:56   #11
Monstro
Promoted to Wario's spellchecker
 
Join Date: 17.09.2005
Location:  London
Posts: 12,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgotoofar View Post
[*]P!nk feat. Miley Cyrus - This is one of the ones I knew I was going to have to defend the hardest, so bear with me. "Paradise" is probably the toughest choice in a fantasy game like this, in part because aside from karaoke singers and tribute acts whose names are censored on this forum (for good reason), nobody seems to think they can tread on Meat's turf in general, and, aside from artists in foreign languages, there is a widespread temerity about covering this specific song in particular. That said, this album (or series of EP's) would never be recorded without "Paradise," so I decided to think of what would really spice up the track and get people's attention. It's never gonna replace the original, so let's just wing it and have some fun. That's when I realized that the first lesbian "Paradise" ever recorded, by two big stars no less (both belters who could more than handle the male and female tracks), might do the trick. Play-by-play commentary would be by Seth MacFarlane as Quagmire from Family Guy, because if we're gonna go prurient, we're going full-bore. (Hey, you can't say it's not different, at least! And, of course, in a different market, you could swap in whatever pop tarts are gobbling up the charts there.)
Can't get this idea outta my head, brilliant and I like the choice of artists as well.
Monstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2017, 19:35   #12
letsgotoofar
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 12.09.2016
Location: In front of a computer, duh.
Posts: 196
Default

Next up, the second EP reflects the original Bat II sequence, albeit reflecting what's in the show more so than what's on the original album, with one exception. More about that below.
  1. I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) - Katy Perry feat. Justin Timberlake
  2. Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through - Stevie Nicks
  3. It Just Won't Quit - Heather Headley
  4. Out of the Frying Pan (And Into the Fire) - Aerosmith
  5. Objects in The Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are - Steve Kazee
  6. Love and Death and the American Guitar - Lin-Manuel Miranda
  7. Good Girls Go To Heaven (Bad Girls Go Everywhere) - Pop diva-fest

Logic for these choices:
  • Katy Perry feat. Justin Timberlake - First things first, no they're not in the wrong order. A la the lesbian "Paradise," I decided I'd try something different with this song. We've heard it the original way (and as a six-way version in the musical that still basically apes the original format, just switching the soloists at different times) many times. It's time to do something different, just having fun with it, knowing that we'll never replace the original. For me, that meant flipping the gender roles: what if the girl sang most of the song, and the guy was the one who emerged at the end? It was a solid idea; now it just needed the right vocalists, a girl with a good rock voice who over-acted the shit out of things and a guy who would acquit himself well. I settled for Katy and Justin, but here's why: listen to Katy's (loosely termed) cover/rewrite of The Outfield's "Your Love," and tell me she isn't capable of medium- to high-octane rocking out with the best of them. As for Justin, this one I chalk up to a fact of the current industry: most of the duets I've heard lately are either Justin or Kanye West, and I'm not going to try to defend Kanye because I don't think he's worthy of the defense, so Justin it is. You could swap it out for other famous vocalists in different territories, as long as you kept the basic premise of the gender swap, which I like.
  • Stevie Nicks - Okay, I knew I was going to have to defend this one in particular (someone on this forum once told me - jokingly, I hope - that in her best days Stevie sounded like a goat getting surprise anal, and that currently she sounds like a goat with a bad head cold getting surprise anal), so hear me out. For starters, she's known Jim since the earliest days of his success owing to her relationship and collaboration with Jimmy Iovine (ask Jim about the time she thought that was actually him on the cover of Bad for Good -- fun story). Secondly, the Bat II version has a very ethereal, airy-fairy vibe like what Stevie's known for in her own work. Last but certainly not least, I think of her, and Marianne Faithfull and other artists of that ilk, as a symbol for the unsung heroines of rock who didn't bear their cross lightly while the men got all the attention and the leeway, the type of person for whom lightning was caught in a bottle and rock and roll dreams really did come through, the person who would sing it like the hymn it is.
  • Heather Headley - I knew "It Just Won't Quit" would probably wind up being a song for classical/theater artists, but I couldn't think of anyone to do it as a duet without the blend either being odd or running the risk of one vocalist overpowering the other. So, figuring that most of the world outside the UK didn't know the Pandora's Box album, a female vocalist with the power of an Elaine Caswell would be the more novel approach than someone like Michael Ball or Alfie Bow doing his best to either sound too much or too little like Meat. And Heather continues the neat little trend I've started with Audra of black female theater/classical vocalists getting showpieces in the set.
  • Aerosmith - This could really be anyone; I thought of Kings of Leon for this slot as well. I argued earlier in this thread that Jim doesn't write filler, but I will argue here that "boilerplate Steinman" does exist, and for me, "Out of the Frying Pan" qualifies: catchy melody, twist on a cliche, sexual innuendo in the lyrics, vague references to Peter wooing Wendy, and you're in and out in six, seven and a half minutes. If there was such a thing as garden variety Jim, this would be a contender. It doesn't need heavy lifting or hours of character work, in my opinion; just plunk this in the hands of a straightforward rock band that knows how to bring the heat and has a vocalist that can screlt with ease.
  • Steve Kazee - Continuing the trend of "stripped down" as taken in a serious direction started with another theater person, Tyce, I drafted "the Once guy" for "Objects." Tony-winning actor/singer, with a stripped-down acoustic sound. The production, in all cases, would probably be tailored around the performer somewhat, so it was a logical pick for something that would work for "Objects."
  • Lin-Manuel Miranda - As I said in my first reply to proctorloaf, his choosing Lin-Manuel for "Objects" in his list inspired me to pluck him for mine. Unlike proctorloaf, however, while Lin's a competent singer in my opinion, I think he really excels at spoken word. I picture his guitar speech being rather like his "last words" in Hamilton's death scene. If one wanted to make an alternate choice for different markets, giving it to a Shakespearean actor like Kenneth Branagh or someone like William Shatner could heighten the humor by taking it overly seriously, or in the other direction, one could go for the truly deranged totally comic stylings of a Jim Carrey type.
  • Pop diva-fest - As a proud gay man, I'm a sucker for diva collaborations like the Moulin Rouge rendition of "Lady Marmalade." Consequently, though I initially settled on just Rihanna, I said to myself, "Self, why stop at one? This could be a girl-power anthem for multiple chartbusters and gobble up the charts in its own right." So, take the cue from the Pandora's Box arrangement, maybe with new drum programming and leaning heavily on the bass, a chugging guitar replacing the piano line perhaps, you've got something that could get play in the clubs.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2017, 20:06   #13
Adje
trying to be realistic
 
Join Date: 28.09.2007
Location:  
Posts: 1,797
Default

Reading this, all that goes through my mind is "wow, you are all Harvey Weinsteining the Bat songs..."
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2017, 20:38   #14
letsgotoofar
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 12.09.2016
Location: In front of a computer, duh.
Posts: 196
Default

Putting women at the forefront is "Harvey Weinsteining it"? Like, I could understand my idea of a lesbian "Paradise" being considered a little exploitative, granted, but just using more women in general isn't a Harvey Weinstein move. Now, if I was forcing them to perform favors in exchange for getting the slot on the album, that'd be a Weinstein move.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2017, 20:59   #15
Adje
trying to be realistic
 
Join Date: 28.09.2007
Location:  
Posts: 1,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgotoofar View Post
Putting women at the forefront is "Harvey Weinsteining it"?
LOL, No I wasn't talking about putting women in the forefront. As I said, "you are ALL..." So I wasn't mentioning your post in particular
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2017, 21:15   #16
letsgotoofar
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 12.09.2016
Location: In front of a computer, duh.
Posts: 196
Default

Oh, now I get it. Well, you're not predisposed to like anything that isn't Meat doing these songs, so that doesn't particularly shock me.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Nov 2017, 21:17   #17
Adje
trying to be realistic
 
Join Date: 28.09.2007
Location:  
Posts: 1,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgotoofar View Post
Oh, now I get it.
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2017, 15:32   #18
letsgotoofar
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 12.09.2016
Location: In front of a computer, duh.
Posts: 196
Default

Last but certainly not least, Adje notwithstanding, here comes the third EP. My final disc would reflect anything from the show not on Bat I or Bat II, in show order, for no particular reason other than that I can't figure out how a re-sorted tracklist would make much difference.

My choices for Disc 3 are:
  1. Who Needs the Young - Meat Loaf ("also featured on the album Braver Than We Are, in stores now!")
  2. Making Love Out of Nothing At All - Russell Watson
  3. In the Land of the Pig, the Butcher is King - The Foo Fighters
  4. I'm Not Allowed to Love - Marcus Lovett feat. Cynthia Erivo
  5. What Part of My Body Hurts the Most - Colm Wilkinson
  6. Dead Ringer for Love - The Darkness feat. Lady Gaga
  7. It's All Coming Back to Me Now - Cyndi Lauper

My comments, in brief, on each choice:
  • Meat Loaf - As I said elsewhere in the thread, using the Whistle example where Meat's track also appeared on another album, it's a good 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' trade, it could promote sales of Braver in addition to pumping up the musical, and Meat does need to be on there somewhere, but probably won't be up to doing anything genuinely new for a while, so this is a way to at least include him.
  • Russell Watson - Really, one could get away with just about any Groban type. I picked Watson because he's familiar with Jim's material ("Is Nothing Sacred"), he's got enough rock and/or pop edge to prevent it from getting too schmaltzy like, say, Michael Ball would, and let's not forget that this started as a track by Air Supply; we don't need anyone particularly amazing to do it.
  • The Foo Fighters - Somehow I think they've got a bonkers straight-ahead rock vibe that covers the deranged Metallica or Disturbed aspect to the song, and I think they're capable of Weill with the right guidance.
  • Marcus Lovett feat. Cynthia Erivo - Erivo continues the trend of a black classical/theater voice on each disc (and she does have a smashing voice, if only she wouldn't keep publicly inserting her foot directly into her mouth), whereas Lovett... well, let me put it this way. I've always preferred the Batman demo version of this song, which was slightly longer (parts were cut for Bat) and a duet, with Lovett doing the male voice on many of said demos. Knowing that the celeb album doesn't always reflect the show version (again, I point you to Whistle), and that this could become a surprise hit outside the album as a duet, I think it's worth a shot.
  • Colm Wilkinson - A new song is much more important than any previous hit and it needs the right care and attention. In the case of "Body," it needs someone who is theatrical (it is after all an album devoted to a theater piece), but with just enough rock edge to carry forward the real grit of the song. Colm Wilkinson, in my book, is one of the quintessential theatrical rockers. The vocal quality is rough, but just tender and rangy enough to give the performance of a lifetime. Could be a career-best vocal, frankly.
  • The Darkness feat. Lady Gaga - "Dead Ringer" has always been rather an underrated song, in my opinion. Jim has only written three "battle of the sexes" type duets in his career -- "Paradise," "Dance in My Pants," and "Dead Ringer" -- and though he's written tons of duets, he's never touched that particular format again. Three was enough. I think three was enough because "Dead Ringer" was the culmination of the effort that went into the other two: the most condensed of all of them, bursting with energy from the get-go, so overblown it's bonkers, but short. All you really need is a great band and two over-the-top voices. Gaga was an obvious choice, but Justin Hawkins was an out-of-the-blue inspiration that hit me as an inspired pairing.
  • Cyndi Lauper - She's got the fragility and smoothness of Celine, and the balls of Elaine. Frankly I'm surprised she never recorded it back in the day. I'll even be so bold as to say that I think this could be the definitive rendition with the right production and arrangement.

And that's all of 'em!
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2017, 17:51   #19
Cherry.Loaf
Los Angeloser
 
Join Date: 02.04.2010
Location:  Bristol
Posts: 1,069
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgotoofar View Post
The appearance of (part of) my list at last!

[*]P!nk feat. Miley Cyrus - This is one of the ones I knew I was going to have to defend the hardest, so bear with me. "Paradise" is probably the toughest choice in a fantasy game like this, in part because aside from karaoke singers and tribute acts whose names are censored on this forum (for good reason), nobody seems to think they can tread on Meat's turf in general, and, aside from artists in foreign languages, there is a widespread temerity about covering this specific song in particular. That said, this album (or series of EP's) would never be recorded without "Paradise," so I decided to think of what would really spice up the track and get people's attention. It's never gonna replace the original, so let's just wing it and have some fun. That's when I realized that the first lesbian "Paradise" ever recorded, by two big stars no less (both belters who could more than handle the male and female tracks), might do the trick. Play-by-play commentary would be by Seth MacFarlane as Quagmire from Family Guy, because if we're gonna go prurient, we're going full-bore. (Hey, you can't say it's not different, at least! And, of course, in a different market, you could swap in whatever pop tarts are gobbling up the charts there.)


The rest of the tracks will follow after more careful thought!
Now THAT I would love to hear

Edit: Actually I love it all, please hire him
Cherry.Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2017, 18:44   #20
stretch37
Very Excited for Braver Than We Are!
 
Join Date: 28.06.2008
Location:  Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,021
Default

I'd rather Meat do an album of his own take on other artist's songs like Cash did towards the end of his career, mixed with some songs either he wrote or he asked writers to write with his ideas on life in mind.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2017, 00:56   #21
letsgotoofar
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 12.09.2016
Location: In front of a computer, duh.
Posts: 196
Default

It's a good idea. It's also off-topic.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.
Old 12 Nov 2017, 01:19   #22
stretch37
Very Excited for Braver Than We Are!
 
Join Date: 28.06.2008
Location:  Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgotoofar View Post
It's a good idea. It's also off-topic.
Yeah I guess it is. Unfortunately I don't really have anyone that I would like to see sing Meat Loaf songs other than Meat. But then, that led me to think that I would like to listen to a tribute album sung by Meat in tribute to others. Some of them in this thread would work. Foo Fighters, Russell Watson, Aerosmith, Katy Perry, The Killers, Tenacious D, etc.

So I guess to keep this on topic, my vote for a music star to sing a Bat tribute album is Old Meat Loaf.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2017, 16:34   #23
letsgotoofar
Senior Loafer
 
Join Date: 12.09.2016
Location: In front of a computer, duh.
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch37 View Post
So I guess to keep this on topic, my vote for a music star to sing a Bat tribute album is Old Meat Loaf.
You should like this, then: a YouTube playlist of songs from the show as recorded by (in one instance, only partially by, because I had to accurately reflect some of the song as it appears in the show) Meat Loaf.
letsgotoofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - mlukfc.com
Made by R. Hosted by noscon.it.

Get Firefox!

Page generated in 0.15722 seconds with 15 queries.