Thread: Wrecking Ball
View Single Post
Old 03 Mar 2012, 06:23   #6
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Slice Of English View Post
The man just never says die. I love his spirit which totally absorbs me in this album. He has some very pointed remarks to make and totally nails his colours to the mast. "We Take Care Of Our Own" could be an anthem for any country in the world to make your heart swell with some national pride again. Pay attention, Mister Cameron, this is how to inspire people to greater things.
Actually, "We Take Care of Our Own" is meant to be ironic; he's saying that while we supposedly take care of our own, we really don't. Beside the references to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, he says:

"I've been stumbling on good hearts turned to stone
The road of good intentions has gone dry as a bone..."

"Where're the eyes, the eyes with the will to see
Where're the hearts, that run over with mercy
Where's the love that has not forsaken me
Where's the work that'll set my hands, my soul free
Where's the spirit that'll reign, rain over me
Where's the promise, from sea to shining sea
Where's the promise, from sea to shining sea
Wherever this flag is flown

We take care of our own..."

He drove this home even harder when he played it live and inserted the word, "that", so that the line became:

"Where's the promise, from sea to shining sea
That wherever this flag is flown
We take care of our own"

That said, though I love the album. It's really different from anything else he's done- I'd say it's kind of like Seeger Sessions, but modern. If you trace the arc of the songs, he starts off very pissed, until you get to the low point with "This Depression", then we come back up again until you get get to "Land of Hope and Dreams", which while it's kind of an old song, he's redone it here, and I think it's is simply epic! (and Clarence is on the song, too ) I love the way it just crashes in after the intro.

IMO, his vocals on the album were quite good, actually, especially on "Rocky Ground".

I think these songs are going to be awesome live- "Wrecking Ball" was killer on the Jimmy Fallon show the other night:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon....-27-12/1387743

Bring on the tour!
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03012 seconds with 14 queries.