View Single Post
Old 10 Nov 2016, 17:13   #21
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
It is up to the people in the entire country and going by the electoral college votes they overwhelmingly voted for Trump.
Certainly he won more electoral college votes, but that does not mean individuals overwhelmingly voted for him. The popular vote was pretty evenly split, with Clinton just ahead I think. The EC institution has long been seen by many as a vestigial remnant of a bygone era. In public opinion polls, Americans of all political affiliations support a direct presidential election. Trump himself leveled a critique in 2012, calling it "a disaster for democracy". Its the system, and he certainly had a clear and conclusive win based on that .. but it doesn't equate with an overwhelming number of people's votes.

Quote:
Young "protestors" now burning the stars and stripes outside of Trump tower and wanting a Hillary win is something the Hillary supporters should think about. It is no good having people like that on your side, it reeks of anti USA, anti patriotism and frankly self loathing.
Burning flags, violence, riots are bad, counter-productive and do those involved no credit or service.

There have also been numerous peaceful protests by people carrying candles, not angrily shouting, and not exclusively young. There are many people in the USA who see some of his major platforms as directly countering the social progress it has taken years to achieve, some of whom would be very directly affected if he strode into office and started to dismantle it. There are gay couples who fear their marriages may become unlawful; transgenders who have heard mixed messages from Trump during the campaign, but who are aware of Pence signing an expansive anti-LGBT measure into law, and that the Republican party at large has made its near-total opposition to trans rights clear (Republicans are also poised to repeal the Affordable Care Act, and with it, an anti-bias measure that prevented many health insurance plans from discriminating against trans policy holders); women who fear the removal of choice, even the possibility of imprisonment; Muslims who fear they will be regarded with suspicion, even restrictions, or who do not see family members being able to join them; Americans who feel compassion for refugees and want their country to offer a safe haven; there are also Mexicans who entered the country illegally seeking a better life, who have settled, had children born Americans, who face fearful uncertainty.

Sections of the American people are concerned, many are fearful. Peaceful protests aimed at sending a clear signal that turning back, dismantling the progress fought for and achieved will be resisted and is not acceptable, are both valid and important in my view; a signal sent to the President elect and to the Senate and Congress who have to approve domestic policies and law. People know the balance of power in both is Republican now, but there will come the mid-term elections.

Quote:
.... Trump suppossedly stalking her on the stage during the 2nd presidential debate (he didn't, she walked into his space constantly) ..
I don't know which channel you watched live, but I'm sorry, he did, and she didn't, at all; she did what simple manners dictate most people do when their opponent is speaking, sat on the stool provided He walked around continuously as she was speaking, and many times walked up to stand right behind her. Somewhere on a scale between bizarre and menacing behaviour, but I think aiming to distract speaker and audience and indicative imo of his game show gamesmanship, and doubtless prompted them to put the behind lecterns at the final debate.
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03031 seconds with 14 queries.