Thread: Marketing 101
View Single Post
Old 08 Mar 2012, 02:41   #3
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikox1 View Post
IMO, reach out and get the fans involed as much as possible, move with the times.
You have some good ideas, although I think many of them cater to those who are already more dedicated fans, thus are people who would buy the album anyway. How do you draw in the casual or new fan?

I agree that the internet can be a powerful tool if used correctly. I agree that the staggered release in regards to HIAHB probably diluted the excitement and "buzz" that a new record creates in the fanbase, and thus spreads across the net.

"Wrecking Ball", for instance, was floating around the net for at least two weeks before it's release, that I know of, and that's not including "official" previews or streaming tracks. Sometimes, things are "leaked" on purpose to get people talking and sharing; word of mouth is a powerful marketing tool. I think artists today know that people download music for free anyway, they might as well take advantage of the fact. (This in no way means I'm suggesting that it's OK to just download music and not pay for it at all)

Now, let's put the internet aside for now. Lots of people from an older demographic don't spend time online or download music. How to reach those people? Radio used to be probably the biggest factor in music sales, until MTV came along, and now even that has changed. So, now what?

Also, you talked about an artist's image, whether they are perceived as "cool and hip"; what do you think it takes to maintain or regain that image?

Here's an interesting article that talks about this subject:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/pays-...en-busi,70462/
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.02613 seconds with 14 queries.