Thread: Wrecking Ball
View Single Post
Old 21 Mar 2012, 20:29   #60
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke knooby View Post
lol, i have no springsteen albums, and i must confess, never considered getting any... i appreciate his work, and have enjoyed a number of his songs and performances etc.. though i did see a good bit of the seeger session on bbc4 and i really enjoyed it.

i have really loved finding and experiencing new artists and musicians that i had never heard off before, and been blown away by.. and wished people would get to hear and experience them aswell this past few years.. so i really think i should maybe just get my first ever springsteen album
Don't stop at one- there's a lot of them and they're all different. That box set looks like a good deal. Definitely dig past the "Greatest Hits", because that's where the best stuff us, IMO.

If you liked the Seeger stuff, you'll probably like the new album. You might try "Live in Dublin" as well- you can get a CD/DVD combo pretty reasonably. The cool thing about that one is that you get lots of his own songs reworked as well as the traditional ones. I love, love, love the version of "Growin' Up" on there.

As to the other albums, it depends on what you like; start with the songs you like, and get those albums. If you like jazzy stuff, go for "The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle" (one of my faves); "Darkness on the Edge of Town" (my #1 fave) rocks the hardest, I'd say, especially live versions (look up the Paramount Theater performance from the 2010 boxset on YouTube- incredible!) For solo acoustic stuff, there's "Nebraska" (the title song is haunting), "The Ghost of Tom Joad", and "Devils and Dust" (I like that one a lot). "Born to Run" is a MUST. Of the more recent stuff, "The Rising" and "Magic" are my favorites. In any case, have fun!

@AndyK, there are live videos starting to pop up on YouTube; I think most, if not all, the audio from the Apollo show is out there. The Fallon performances are on Jimmy's website, I believe. What I've heard so far sounds pretty good.

"Rocky Ground" from Greensboro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oNF3-k49vY

I like this one a lot; people seem to love it or hate it.

I'm not seeing my first show until the middle of April, so I can't give a first-hand review yet.

As far as LOHAD goes, I think this new version is amazing! "American Land", though, isn't really too different here, IMO. I like the song- it's fun at shows (especially on St.Patty's Day ), but I'm a little tired of it; I'd be just as happy if he played something else.
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06092 seconds with 14 queries.