View Single Post
Old 31 Dec 2012, 15:03   #10
samurai7
Rock Star

I went to the Cardiff show on the 14th of December and it was fantastic.
This is a copy/paste of a review I posted elsewhere:

Quote:
Just got in from an incredible night. The first act was Eddie & The Hot Rods, a late-'70s pub-rock act that had a hit with Do Anything You Wanna Do. Great to see these guys again, last time I saw them was on my 18th birthday, back in '96, so a few good memories. They finished on a pretty cool cover of the Van Morrison (or The Doors if you like) song GLORIA. Great stuff.

Bonnie was up next, and my GOD she was phenomenal. I thought she sounded in exceptional form, and looked great. The sound in the arena was perfect. Unfortunately, as a support act she only got about 50 minutes, but it was a hit-packed, perfectly pitched set.
Opener It's a Heartache (with wonderful harmony guitars) and Bee Gees cover To Love Somebody had the crowd singing along, and Have You Ever Seen The Rain got them rocking out; there was even a rush of people down to the front of the stage to dance. Hearing the "Ooh la la" chorus of Lost in France being sung by the whole arena was spine-tingling.
Before singing The Best she mentioned that although the song is mainly associated with Tina Turner, she recorded it two years before. A great rendition of Turtle Blues, replete with anecdote about recording her version in the same studio as Janis Joplin's original followed.
Just before starting Total Eclipse she mentioned that in 1983 she was very fortunate to work with "The GENIUS Jim Steinman", which got a respectable cheer from pockets of the enthusiastic Welsh crowd.
We also got Faster Than The Speed of Night and Holding Out For a Hero to round off a trifecta of Steinsongs, and Bonnie's set.

The full setlist was as follows:

It's a Heartache
To Love Somebody
Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Lost in France
The Best
Turtle Blues
Total Eclipse
(Band intros)
Faster Than The Speed of Night
Holding Out For a Hero

After this it was headliners Status Quo's turn, and as expected they delivered the goods, even closing the evening with a medley of Festive hits, after a set literally laden with the numerous boogie-shuffle-blues-rock anthems they've made their trademark. Always incredible value live, it was a pleasure to see them again. Rick and Francis really are not only fantastic musicians, but very skilled entertainers too, with a catalogue of classics.

I can honestly say it was one of the best shows I've seen in a long time, and I consider myself nigh-on a professional concert-goer
Highly recommended. UK people, if this show is coming to a venue near you then please try to go along. I honestly cannot rate it highly enough.

S.
samurai7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05099 seconds with 14 queries.