View Single Post
Old 08 Jun 2018, 00:35   #6815
AndrewG
I hope your salmon sucks!

The Commuter (2018 )
*Spoilers*
Starts off ok but turns into an unnecessarily complicated mess. It's like it's 3 movies. Movie 1 feels like the film is going to something like Non Stop or Taken when you know Liam Neeson is going to be the hero of the film. You sense some unnerving event is about to unfold but you don't know what. The stage is set and this bit ain't too bad at all. But it starts to go downhill fast as soon as Neeson starts to "commute" again.
Roll on Movie 2: Some weird who dunnit on a train tries to be like a Hitchock mystery. This is where things start to get overly complicated and quite daft. I still have no precise idea what they were after, who set things up and why. You start to lose interest here because you don't really care about anyone but only Neeson a tiny bit perhaps. You certainly don't care about the people he tries to save on the train as they all come across as jerks for the most part except maybe the Jonathan Banks character.
Roll on Movie 3: The action part. With absolutely atrocious CGI (The end of Non Stop had that too btw). The "twist" you can see a mile off and the whole what happened to Liam Neeson's family is very badly done and resolved (compare to Taken).

5/10 (I am being very kind here). It's mostly for one fight scene which Neeson has where camera magic is used to cool effect in one long scene. I think after this the entire CGI crew went on a long holiday or something.
Worth a rental/Netflix maybe JUST but absolutely no more.
Very strange to add both main The Conjuring stars (Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson) in a non horror movie I think (why? Farmiga didn't suit the part she had here). But then all the actors/stars in this film also deserved a much better movie regardless. Honestly Sam Neill, Neesson and the Conjuring stars in a movie along with the cool guy from Breaking Bad (Jonathan Banks) and THIS is what they came up with? Hundreds of people in the credits. I don't get how it can get so bad and why you need so many crew-members to do something so poorly. I've seen more convincing CGI done by single bedroom editors/semi pro guys using the part free Hitfilm Pro software on YouTube. Mental. The movie deserves closer to a 3/10 the more I think about it. The main problem I think is that when the entire plot centres around something that happens off screen / something you hear about (some guy who apparently got murdered and a witness who needs to deliver data to the FBI for some reason?), it's just too difficult to get involved. It would be like making the Titanic movie and seeing all the first 2 hour bits but then not show the sinking and that part is only described by the modern day people. You just wouldn't give a rat's ass when you left the theatre.

A safer movie would have been to just make Neeson a commuter who stops a terrorist on a train journey. That is the movie which I thought this was going to be. Not some overly complicated mess of different ideas based on a death/murder that happened off screen. 30 million bucks?! Mental.

Last edited by AndrewG; 08 Jun 2018 at 01:04.
AndrewG is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04577 seconds with 14 queries.