View Single Post
Old 11 Jul 2016, 13:02   #5
ashkent7
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
The lyrics in Angels Arise "Gotham City is our home..." could easily have been changed to "this Godforsaken Town is our home" to tie in with AFL. It's a disgrace hardly anyone will ever hear Angels Arise. The ending "As the night must surely, always, always fall" with the counter point piano backing and lyric "Looks like it's gonna be a dark one tonight" are some of Steinman's best ideas ever imo.
I think one of the most appropriate lyrics from the DOTV version of Angels Arise is "There's every sign that once upon a time is starting right here and now." I think considering everything Jim has written is part of one massive adult fairy tale tapestry that line could be used to open any work he is part of and fit in just fine.

I can only think that Graveyard Shift was either a bit too theatrical even for Braver, or Jim didn't have the time/inclination/desire to rewrite it ( the lyrics about lives destroyed by crime might have worked outside the Batman concept but may have been too left field on an album that is already so far outside the ballpark that's it's half way home on the bus while the game is still playing - in a good way )
ashkent7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.02532 seconds with 14 queries.