View Single Post
Old 15 Apr 2012, 20:47   #79
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ernie View Post
I will point out that 'In God We Trust' was put on the notes in the 50s as a reaction to the cold war.
And it remains on them

Quote:
I will also point out that the UK puts great men like Charles Darwin on their money. I'm surprised to have so many people on a UK forum NOT defending secular values.
I have consistently advocated the inclusion of secular values in my comments here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse View Post
I feel (although I might be wrong) the problem Meat has with so much effort going into the removal of the prayer is not a religious issue, but one that there is a portion of society that really goes out of their way to upset other people.

The prayer was on the wall for 50 years.
Had it hurt anyone in 50 years?
Was it due to hurt anyone in the next 50 years?

So what was the big problem?

It might have brought comfort to some people, so it did a little good in the world, but who the hell was it going to harm?
If there were a lot more things that could do some good but no harm, we'd be living in a better world.

If there was something in the prayer that insighted racial or religeous hatred toward others, I can see the point in wanting it taking down. But a message of reasurrance?

Why couldn't the prayer be ignored by the people who didn't believe in it?

Why is another persons views (in this case, religious beliefs) be such an affront to people with different views? (perhaps they are all forum users )

That's the message I got from Meat frustration, but again, maybe i'm wrong
That's how I saw it too. My approach would be to add to rather than remove. Just 3 words introducing it were Christian, yet the message was to me wholly laudable

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.

Page generated in 0.02536 seconds with 14 queries.