View Single Post
Old 16 Jan 2015, 22:49   #1
Julie in the rv mirror
Spirit in the Night

Default Roy Bittan Interview (Meat/Jim Content)

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so I figured this would be the best spot. Roy gave an interview with Rolling Stone about some of the (non-Springsteen) albums he played on, and I thought people might like to read a couple of things he said.

On BOOH:
Quote:
"Jim Steinman wrote all the songs for this, and I was real intrigued when he played them for me because they were so theatrical. It was like a rock musical, and of course Meat came out of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I was also a big fan of Todd Rundgren, who was the producer. They brought in Max [Weinberg] to play drums, I was on piano and Todd on guitar and Kasim Sulton was on bass. We cut the whole thing live as a four-piece up in Woodstock over about two months. The only overdubs were the backing vocals. It was a strange album since some people didn't understand it came out of the theater world. I occasionally hear something from it today and just think, 'Wow, that's some really great playing.'"
On Faster Than the Speed of Night:
Quote:
"Once again, this is a Jim Steinman album. Bat Out of Hell was so huge in England that they reached out to him to produce Bonnie's album. She was another great voice and just a fantastic singer. Any album with Jim is interesting. I remember when we finished Bat Out of Hell I said to myself, 'I have no idea whether this is going to be big or not.' I've always felt that way with Jim. I never judge his music because I love all of it, but it's always either a grand slam or a giant strike out. If it's a strike out, he goes out swinging. I've never been able to figure it out, even when we're making something like 'Total Eclipse of the Heart.'"
Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...#ixzz3P1Tiw82Q

Anyway, I love what he said about Jim!
Julie in the rv mirror is offline   Reply With Quote
5 Users Like This Post.

Page generated in 0.16163 seconds with 14 queries.