Thread: Wrecking Ball
View Single Post
Old 07 Mar 2012, 10:18   #23
stretch37
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie in the rv mirror View Post
@nikox1:
Like Sarge, I'd like to hear more on your theory as well- serious question. You seem to somehow take it personally that you don't think Meat is viewed as "cool", while Bruce is. You seem to imply that the media is somehow to blame.

For my part, I don't see Bruce portrayed as a "media darling" at all- not since 1985 at least. I really would like to see an example (Rolling Stone mag not withstanding) As Sarge also said, lots of people call Bruce "overrated", or flat-out say they can't stand his singing voice. I've seen some of the most hateful things written about him because of his politics, which I don't think he's really all that vocal about, and IMO should not be used as a means to critique his music. Yet, the comments on almost any article about him seem to turn in that direction, even on YouTube videos! I talk to young people who either don't know who Bruce is, or just see him as one of those "old guys".

Bruce is supportive of young bands, and some of them cite him as an influence; The Dropkick Murphys and Gaslight Anthem are known fans, for example. Lady Gaga's a huge fan as well. Why do you think that is?

On that note, I've seen Bruce get up and play with virtual unknowns, which IMO was very, very cool (yet not publicized anywhere):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P_9KJDwpag

But anyway- back to the album- so far, professional reviews have been mixed, but the fans seem to mostly like this one a lot, especially as compared to his last album.

I got my vinyl, too- just haven't had a chance to play it yet.
Hitting #1 on itunes and amazon proves that record companies will market the "old guys". He had a week on Jimmy Fallon and has had tons of promo as well as great branding. The album is good - but no more good than Meat Loaf's album. I'd say HIAH and HCTB are greater achievements at this stage in Meat's career than Wrecking Ball is for Bruce in terms of his performance, NOT and i repeat NOT the quality of the songs.

So I think this should end the debate on whether or not the record companies will shell out for the senior most artists....they will...they just need to spend more on Meat because he is worth every penny.
stretch37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.02700 seconds with 14 queries.