View Single Post
Old 16 Apr 2012, 23:18   #135
Evil Ernie
Super Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Mouse View Post
I know, I was just being naughty

I don't know enough about the American schooling system to make much comment, but I think any child should have the right to be schooled within their religion.

But that said, whose choice is it wether to school the child within a religion?
The parents (i'm assuming) and not the childs.
Guess kids don't get to have much of a break when it comes to freedom of choice where religion is concerned
They do have a choice. It's called home schooling or private school.

Religion has NO PLACE in the government. Or in schools, where you learn things which have value (which religion has none).

And I agree, children DON'T have a choice of freedom of Religion. Every child is born an Atheist and parents brainwash them into believing.

That's where recoveringfromreligion.org comes in.

Quote:
There are tons of nutters in various religions, but my point was does the banner increase their number or strengthen their case?

There are nutters that support the Koran, but does that mean that everyone who supports the Koran is a nutter?

As for the consitution, like many laws of many lands, the law IMHO is an ass without enough common sence.
There are various nuts in any form of life. Those who are mildly religious shield those who are nuts. It validates them.

And I don't agree about what you say about the constitution.

Quote:
I agree that it's wrong to base all government policies on religion.
But that will be done wether there is a banner on a wall or not.
No ammount or lack of religious argument is going stop a woman who believes abortion to be a sin voting for the guy who stands up and says abolish abortion.
That is highly debatable.

Also, if there is no religion, how can there be sin? Does not compute.

Quote:
I was thinking about this last night walking the dog, and I was thinking that is Christianity an easy target?
Or at least the easiest target.

In the West we seem to be able to support everybodys views and religions, except the one that is native to us.
We seem so afraid to offend, we are afraid to say anything about other religions, and have very little to say in support of our own nations religion and are often quite comfortable bashing it.
I have no problem bashing any religion.

It just so happens that Christianity is the biggest problem in the US.

I find that Muslims don't insist upon themselves as much. Same with most other religions. Therefore it's worth speaking out against.

I think that all religions are equally dumb.

Quote:
For instance, every December here in Liverpool a menorah is erected outside St George's Hall for Hanukkah.

St George's Hall is a civic building (bearing the name of a saint, a Christian device I belive ) yet every year a large Jewish religious sign is placed outside.

Should that offend or displease me?

Would it offend or displease an athiest?

If not, why not? It's religious isn't it?

I think if anybody tried to campaign against the menorah they would be slammed as an anti semite rather than be taken at face value.

If it were a muslim device that was being petitioned against, forget it

So why is it that Christianity, the religion of our our own people (for lack of a better phrase right now) the one that is the easy target?

This must be the longest convo i've had on religion in my life
Well, the UK is a NON secular country (officially), so there is less grounds to speak out against it.

Offense is not the word. More like head-shaking befuddlement.
Evil Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
1 User Likes This Post.

Page generated in 0.02906 seconds with 14 queries.