View Single Post
Old 04 Jan 2018, 02:59   #6746
Adje
trying to be realistic

Sorry Andrew, but your math makes no sense.

Even the Jumanji one. So Jumanji had a better monday but lost on friday/sat/sunday, making Last Jedi the #1 of the new years weekend.

I understand you dislike the movie and try to back it up with numbers, but they aren't making much sense.

The comparison with Rogue One doesn't fit as the numbers on the NY weekend are almost the same but TLJ already has made 100 million more than RO at this time.

As for the numbers with TFA (which btw shattered every record in such a short time) the shorter numbers on TLJ are no surprise. It's exactly what was expected. Besides, the 2nd SW movie, so far in both other trilogies, always came short to the first movie. The Empire strikes back (TESB), now considered by most fans as the best of all, didn't do as well as the original in numbers and in fact was considered a poor sequel by many fans in 1980. Much like TLJ now.

BTW, numbers don't tell me too much. Purely based on those numbers TFA would be a better movie than Star Wars (1977) and Avatar would be the best movie ever made.

But based on the expected numbers the truth is that TLJ didn't suffer from the bad reviews from a part of the fan community at all, as it actually stays on the same track as what was prognosed. At the long run Disney hoped to reach the 600,000,000 dollar mark, domestic. It seems likely they will reach those numbers. And by the numbers Disney already calls this a box office succes.

I still believe that TLJ will be a great bridge to connect the trilogy with JJ Abrahams being able to take the story of Rey, Kylo Ren (and even Luke) to a great conclusion. I don't think TLJ is in the same league as TESB but if you look at the original trilogy, TESB is the odd one out. I think that TLJ will have that same place in this trilogy.

All said, Disney will keep producing SW and SW spin-off movies as long as they keep making money out of it. And like all that Marvel crap that gets released about every two weeks (or so it feels that way) the SW movies will remain one of the Disney milk cows. So brace yourself. They won't be necersarely good, but they will come in huge numbers, every single year, again and again and again.

Last edited by Adje; 04 Jan 2018 at 03:13.
Adje is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.03964 seconds with 14 queries.