View Single Post
Old 15 Apr 2012, 03:13   #39
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
If they put a Muslim prayer next to the prayer that was on the wall for 50 years , I would say they have the right to do so.
Exactly. Schools here give children a grounding in all faiths, and before anyone who is agnostic or atheist says anything against that, to me it's about tolerance and understanding in a multi-cultural society, where understanding others' beliefs is important to embracing diversity, rather than trying to suppress or remove it.

I still say Happy Christmas because that is what I am celebrating on 25th December, and I respect the right of others to celebrate Divali, Hannukah etc. There seemed to me to be nothing wrong with the prayer that as on that school wall, and I would have had more respect for someone who simply asked to add a secular piece which exhorted children to something worthy, or asked that another religious prayer be added

Quote:
Separation of church and state is about the freedom to worship and believe what you heart tells you. Not to take away everything that says God from the world. If this case would have gone to the Supreme Court it would have been overturned.
Agreed .. and I hope that would have been the case. There's enough negative and worrying stuff around to worry about in my view, before lobbying to remove a simple prayer because it doesn't fit your personal beliefs

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.02407 seconds with 14 queries.