View Single Post
Old 22 May 2012, 11:08   #17
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White of High View Post
Not for me... I think lyrics is the third most important thing in a song. Lyrics is important in a poem, melody and arrangement are most important in music... Because of it we call it music and not poem...
What is important to you is down to your personal taste, but I think you'll find that the inclusion of lyrics is why we call it a song, rather than simply music, and the addition of lyrics to music makes it a song rather than a poem .. though I understand your comment is written in a second language. But composers write music, lyricists write words, songwriters do both.

However, as you have seemed so often to find songs Meat has recorded wanting because of what you describe as "simple" lyrics, they clearly have some importance to you nonetheless.

For me lyrics are very important. They are what makes the music into a song, and the meaning a singer can put into them what makes it a song that resonates with me. Bad For Good is elevated, for me, into a superb song by the inclusion of phrases like "wrap myself around you like a winter skin". Bernie Taupin's line "lived her life like a candle in the wind" is what made that song so evocative, and which elevated it to a classic. "I'm a runaway train on a broken track" captured so much of Meat's journey, and "one more tear falls in the river, she watches it wash away" conveys the anguish of Another Day.

In this song, "Ain't nothing lost forever except our love and our souls" conveys perfectly imo the final message of HIAH and holds out hope. Nor do I see it as irrelevant if one is not in a loving relationship with one other person; each of us can still hold onto our love for others, for humanity, and our integrity as human beings .. our souls. Our material wealth and trappings are less important; the riches that count are what's in our hearts and our souls. A beautiful truth.

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote
4 Users Like This Post.

Page generated in 0.03781 seconds with 13 queries.