View Single Post
Old 21 Jan 2011, 12:26   #7
CarylB
Mega Loafer

Knowing very little about guitar playing as such I found Andy's post really interesting. From the very little I knew I'd have said that Randy is technically master of the guitar, and in any classical contest would probably win hands down. Paul on the other hand is incredibly creative and skilled at delivering those fast and complicated heavy guitar riffs which dazzle in a different way, and would be top in his field.

Ask me which is my preferred solo and I'd probably say Paul, because for me his playing is the essence of rock, but I am always hugely impressed by the technical virtuosity of Randy's playing. Like Andy I'll add that I'm not knocking (in this case Randy's) skill nor diminishing his contribution in any way, and together they provide a staggeringly impressive skillset in a truly remarkable band. It's tempting to say I'd miss Paul most because he's an amazing lead guitar, but I suspect each would be missed equally, because as Andy says their respective styles and playing are woven together so inextricably, and to me they form a whole that is even greater than the sum of its parts.

Caryl
CarylB is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.04410 seconds with 14 queries.