mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   110. Elvis In Vegas (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15965)

White of High 08 Oct 2010 22:09

110. Elvis In Vegas

This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Elvis In Vegas (7)

This song was written thousands years ago and never published. It may wasn't be enough good for Bon Jovi. I think it's not an excellent song but it's not bad neither. Meat's performance is one of the best in this song on the entire album. The short guitar solo in the middle is aimless like in 'If It Rains'. After 'Song Of Madness' and 'California' this song is the most enjoyable. The last high notes are perfect here...

My score: 7

Monstro 08 Oct 2010 22:16

When I heard this at the playback it seemed to slip me by, didn't when I got hold of the album, love the song, lyrics and the way Meat sings it

Evil One 08 Oct 2010 22:16

7. I like this song a lot. I do suspect that it may have been slighlty better before it was 'tweaked' to make it relate to Patrick.

meatfanforlife 08 Oct 2010 22:19

robgomm 08 Oct 2010 22:29

Brilliant, one of the stand out tracks on the album. Great story, great music, great chorus, hard to stop singing it to be honest.

10 easy, can't fault anything on it.

Sarge 08 Oct 2010 22:32

Reminds me of Marc Cohn's Walking In Memphis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil One (Post 524563)
I do suspect that it may have been slighlty better before it was 'tweaked' to make it relate to Patrick.

Fortunately it can never relate to Patrick as it doesn't fit into the story and the "concept" at all. :twisted:

carole 08 Oct 2010 23:36

Love it, great song full of nostalgia, it's a fitting end to the album.

Carole

suzieq 09 Oct 2010 00:09

10 All the way! I think it is rebellious, fun and celebratory. It makes me want to conquer the world actually! It's on my alarm clock and I wake up to a new day to make it the best I can because the world is MINE!

PanicLord 09 Oct 2010 00:21

Love this song. Great tune, a more traditional structure, excellent production, and amazing vocals by Meat. Works brilliantly as the end of the album, a final look back at Patrick's life before the final curtain. Also, Meat's improv at the end is ace. 9.5.

duke knooby 09 Oct 2010 00:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanicLord (Post 524616)
a final look back at Patrick's life before the final curtain.

huh? i thought the alledged concept was his life flashing forwards to what could have been

PanicLord 09 Oct 2010 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke knooby (Post 524621)
huh? i thought the alledged concept was his life flashing forwards to what could have been

Yes, this could be a flash forward to the end of his life, and that is the general concept, but Meat has also said in interviews that Patrick dies at the end of the album, so I think it is one final look back at Patrick's greatest moment. This being art and all, I guess you could interpret it either way!

Sarge 09 Oct 2010 00:48

It is absolutely impossible that Patrick saw Elvis.

allrevvedup 09 Oct 2010 00:52

was my favourite song when i initially heard it, but it's still good 8.5 (he just shouldn't have used it on Monday Night Raw :D)

PanicLord 09 Oct 2010 00:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarge (Post 524632)
It is absolutely impossible that Patrick saw Elvis.

Ok, let's put aside the facts that firstly this is an album not a documentary, secondly that Patrick is a fictional character and therefore could have "done" anything you can possibly think of, and thirdly that afaik there has been no definitive timeline established for the fictional events described, I am still not certain how you have come to such a definitive conclusion... Please explain!

AndyK 09 Oct 2010 01:01

If you're going to explain please do it in another thread, one with a topic that talks about the story, not one that talks about one particular song, thank you :))

AndrewG 09 Oct 2010 01:49

I do like this song but it never reaches the climax it so could have (I actually think this is a problem with a lot of Bon Jovi. It is very Springsteen epicish but never perfect). The chorus should be another 4 or 8 measures longer before we get to the "I saw Elvis in Vegas" bit.

Fantastic attempt though. HCTB really picks up towards the end I think. So I'll give this an 8.

Mr. Happy 09 Oct 2010 02:58

Best song on the album. Love the piano intro / outro in particular, awesome little phrase :D The only thing that lets it down is the guitar solo, which is kind of...random, and doesn't really fit the feel of the rest of the song. Otherwise...

Rage Against 09 Oct 2010 05:07

Took some time to grow on me, but now one of my favorites. I'll give it an 8.

Vickip 09 Oct 2010 05:11

It's my favorite song from HCTB ... and absolutely perfect :-)
Definitely 10 for me !!

Elijah's way 09 Oct 2010 12:21

8/10 this is a really good song, very powerful!!

robgomm 09 Oct 2010 16:01

Oh yeah i don't know if my hearing isn't good, but i can never hear what he says at the end?

AndrewG 09 Oct 2010 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by robgomm (Post 524745)
Oh yeah i don't know if my hearing isn't good, but i can never hear what he says at the end?

"Is your heart full of pain? Should I come back again? Tell me dear, are you lonesome tonight?"

White of High 09 Oct 2010 19:10

Average: 8.93 (125/14)

CarylB 09 Oct 2010 20:08

Brilliant song that if I heard on its own would probably feel nostalgic, something wonderful remembered, but coming as it does at the end of this amazing journey it fills me with a positive feeling and seems to celebrate that living is always worthwhile. You can achieve anything you set out to if you live every day without looking back or being fearful of what the future might bring .. and all the joy and invincibility of youth can stay with you forever. Love the arrangement and Meat's vocals take me on a journey where evrything is possible.

10+++

Caryl

robgomm 10 Oct 2010 12:34

So it's now an average of 9.