mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Loaf! Camera! Action! (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   24 Minute interview on PBS (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18025)

Wario 21 Mar 2012 23:27

24 Minute interview on PBS

http://video.pbs.org/video/2213078176

duke knooby 22 Mar 2012 00:24

very interesting.. ta for posting

DJLeen 22 Mar 2012 02:18

It's a honest interview filled with the truth and i really enjoyed watching it.

evil nickname 22 Mar 2012 11:16

Re: that prayer on the wall thing. It appears Meat got his facts wrong. So unless objecting to a violation of the US constitution and standing up for what you believe is right is a sign of the world going to hell in a handbasket, I think it's a pretty bad example.

Given that this is one of my hobby horses, it irks me.

evil nickname 22 Mar 2012 11:40

Also, there's a video which goes into Chuck D's contribution on the album a bit more: http://video.pbs.org/video/2210992925

CarylB 22 Mar 2012 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJLeen (Post 567144)
It's a honest interview filled with the truth and i really enjoyed watching it.

I agree. I thought it a great interview, with an interviewer who didn't constantly work to a pre-planned agenda, and an intelligent and thoughtful man, who cares about the world, and the way he sees it going. I enjoyed it tremendously too.

And using Wiki to confidently point out Meat "got his facts wrong" irks me.

Caryl

evil nickname 22 Mar 2012 13:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarylB (Post 567160)

That's too bad, because that article is a succinct and accurate summary of the gazillion different articles I've read about the whole issue. But feel free to peruse the cited references at your leisure.

GDW 22 Mar 2012 15:09

Well irk me.

allrevvedup 22 Mar 2012 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by evil nickname (Post 567156)
Re: that prayer on the wall thing. It appears Meat got his facts wrong. So unless objecting to a violation of the US constitution and standing up for what you believe is right is a sign of the world going to hell in a handbasket, I think it's a pretty bad example.

Given that this is one of my hobby horses, it irks me.

if you were just told that someone objected to the prayer banner you would think that it was someone just trying to be a little too PC (which is what is what I would've taken from that example by Mr Loaf)

However if you're going to bring it up as an example of how the world is going to hell then the example is taken out of context.

Good interview though, still doesn't change my view of not liking the album.

Evil Ernie 27 Mar 2012 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarylB (Post 567160)
I agree. I thought it a great interview, with an interviewer who didn't constantly work to a pre-planned agenda, and an intelligent and thoughtful man, who cares about the world, and the way he sees it going. I enjoyed it tremendously too.

Caryl

What is wrong with the information included in the Wiki? You basically will use ANY excuse to defend ANYTHING that ML does or says.

Fact is that he was extremely out of line here. THIS was the best example he could find of the world going to hell in a handbasket? Not starving children or needless wars or Kony. No. Some kid in middle America who wants the constitution upheld is the best example that he could find.

Interviews like this just tell me how out of touch ML really is with the rest of the world. I actually try to avoid interviews with him from the past and the present because IMO he doesn't comes across well in almost EVERY interview I've seen with him. I know it will never happen and everyone has the right to their opinion, but I wish that he would just shut up and sing.

CarylB 27 Mar 2012 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Ernie (Post 567352)
What is wrong with the information included in the Wiki? You basically will use ANY excuse to defend ANYTHING that ML does or says.

I have not requoted your more offensive comments.

I do not consider Wiki to be some tablet of stone-set truth.

I support Meat, I am ENTITLED to do this and to express my views. I can manage to do this with courtesy. Some might not find it surprising that fans on a fansite support or defend the man whose name heads every page.

Please don't even try to harass me into changing or diminishing my support of Meat, who is someone I respect.

Evil Ernie 27 Mar 2012 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarylB (Post 567359)

I support Meat, I am ENTITLED to do this and to express my views. I can manage to do this with courtesy. Some might not find it surprising that fans on a fansite support or defend the man whose name heads every page.

Please don't even try to harass me into changing or diminishing my support of Meat, who is someone I respect.

You basically just proved my point.

Thank You.

CarylB 28 Mar 2012 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Ernie (Post 567364)
You basically just proved my point.

Thank You.

As have you proved yourself, for which I cannot thank you with any sincerity

evil nickname 28 Mar 2012 00:38

Quote:

Well, neither do I, but in this case, it's a pretty darn good summary of the situation as I understand it from the numerous articles I've read about it.

So I still stand by my original assertion that Meat got his facts wrong on this one.

robgomm 28 Mar 2012 00:46

Quote:

THIS was the best example he could find of the world going to hell in a handbasket?

I wish that he would just shut up and sing.

No it's not the best example but it's what he thought of in the moment, the thing that sprang to mind there and then.

You wish that he would shut up and sing? Believe it or not he's actually a very interesting person and I suspect that if he wasn't asked various questions in interviews he wouldn't answer. Fact is the people that interview him find him very interesting and want to know his views on a whole range of things.

Caryl is right in that Wikipedia is well known for gathering it's info from here there and everywhere and so ends up not quite factually correct in a lot of what it says.

You wish he would just shut up and sing? I would say what the hell are you even doing on this site when you insult the artist you are meant to be supporting? How can you even be allowed to come here and blatantly insult the artist?

robgomm 28 Mar 2012 00:47

Quote:

:up:

duke knooby 28 Mar 2012 00:54

very interesting

Evil Ernie 28 Mar 2012 03:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by robgomm (Post 567384)
No it's not the best example but it's what he thought of in the moment, the thing that sprang to mind there and then.

You wish that he would shut up and sing? Believe it or not he's actually a very interesting person and I suspect that if he wasn't asked various questions in interviews he wouldn't answer. Fact is the people that interview him find him very interesting and want to know his views on a whole range of things.

Caryl is right in that Wikipedia is well known for gathering it's info from here there and everywhere and so ends up not quite factually correct in a lot of what it says.

You wish he would just shut up and sing? I would say what the hell are you even doing on this site when you insult the artist you are meant to be supporting? How can you even be allowed to come here and blatantly insult the artist?

Well He said it was the best example. His words, not mine:

Quote:

"The best example is in America: In this one high school, for 50 years a prayer was hung on a wall. And all of a sudden, a daughter and a woman who are atheists (complained)."
Wikipedia articles must have sources cited. It's true that anyone can edit a Wiki, but any entries without citations are erased. It's sort of ignorant to reject something just because it's on Wikipedia.

And supporting an artist means that I buy his records and see him in concert. If he does or says something that I object to I am going to make it known. Even though I'm aware that democracies don't exist on internet forums, we all live in Free countries where we're allowed to express our opinions. I know that may seem foreign for a message board where it seems like 50% of the posts are just people agreeing with each other.

I love ML as a singer and sometimes as an actor, but that doesn't mean that he's omnipotent. Lately especially it seems that every time that he opens his mouth and does a keystroke I do a facepalm.

evil nickname 28 Mar 2012 10:19

I really don't want to give a damn about Meat Loaf's political and worldviews. I don't care, I'm in it for the music. But when he's making a big deal out of how his latest album in grounded in reality and how he thinks about stuff, no characters in the songs, etc., it gets kinda hard to stay out, right?

So when he comes up with probably the worst best example of the world going to hell in a handbasket, I want to headdesk and facepalm at once. If Meat sings that he can barely fit his big dog in there, I know it's stupid, but that's not Meat, it's his character. On the other hand, saying stuff like

Quote:

The best example is in America: In this one high school, for 50 years a prayer was hung on a wall. And all of a sudden, a daughter and a woman who are atheists (complained). … But something that’s hung on a wall for 50 years? People don’t even see it any more. If you’ve got that much time on your hands, go down and help at the children’s centre. Go help at the homeless centre. Go do something that helps other people. People need to stand up, be responsible for themselves and help other people. The Internet is to blame, the comment pages are to blame. There’s such hatred spewed out over the stupidest things.
That is Meat saying that. As it is on a subject that I care about — i.e., freedom of religion for all, not just for those who happen to have one — I cannot ignore that. Especially not when he lead it in with:

Quote:

We got here because people stopped caring about other people and only care about their beliefs and what they want.
Jessica Ahlquist stood up for the constitution, and was responsible for herself and other people. Unlike like the people who only cared about their own beliefs and put up that prayer. The school board could just have removed the prayer when someone first complained about it — nobody saw it anymore, right? But no, they had to go to court, spend time and money that could have been better used elsewhere.

I don't see how she is what's wrong with the world.

Go yell at the people sending her death threats, or something.

robgomm 28 Mar 2012 11:00

Are you all really naive enough to think that Meat really thinks that is the best example? It was an example he came up with at a moments notice in response to a question. It's like the other week when he said everyones got their hand out, were you all naive enough to think he really meant everyone in the world? Of course he didn't, and you'd be stupid to think so.

FFS HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU HAVE TO BE TOLD HE GETS NERVOUS ON TV AND DOESN'T ALWAYS SAY THINGS EXACTLY RIGHT? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE, STOP PICKING.

evil nickname 28 Mar 2012 11:14

I've seen the same "best example" (Meat's words) pop up three times now:

http://www.lfpress.com/entertainment.../19527466.html
http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/...atloaf2012.htm
http://video.pbs.org/video/2213078176

Which would suggest that he didn't come up with it at a moment's notice.

Sarge 28 Mar 2012 11:23

Quote:

THIS was the best example he could find of the world going to hell in a handbasket? Not starving children or needless wars or Kony. No. Some kid in middle America who wants the constitution upheld is the best example that he could find.

He talks about the world but obviously it's only his world he refers to. I expect a little bit more from an artist who obviously is not stupid and has travelled the world.

Quote:

Interviews like this just tell me how out of touch ML really is with the rest of the world.

I hate to say it but I agree. There was a time when I enjoyed listening to his interviews because he came across as a witty, funny and educated guy. These days many of his statements make me shake my head in disbelief, some even make me angry and are beginning to spoil my listening experience of his current album. Good album, very disappointing interviews.

CarylB 28 Mar 2012 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by robgomm (Post 567418)
It's like the other week when he said everyones got their hand out, were you all naive enough to think he really meant everyone in the world? Of course he didn't, .....

STOP PICKING.

Seems to be the plat du jour for some at the moment.

I like the passion with which this intelligent, caring, and articulate man speaks about his concerns and beliefs. It simply reinforces the meaning of the album and enhances the pleasure in listening to it for me

shell120978 08 Apr 2012 19:15

Great interview, thanks for posting!

mib 12 Apr 2012 09:40

Thankyou for posting this interview.