mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tyre Tracks & Broken Hearts (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   71. A Kiss Is A Terrible Thing To Waste (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=952)

White of High 16 Apr 2003 15:06

71. A Kiss Is A Terrible Thing To Waste

This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!

A Kiss Is A Terrible Thing To Waste (10)

This is my second favourite song ever. (Only For Crying Out Loud can precede it) I love the art of Andrew Lloyd Webber and I don't understand why hasn't it been famous song. I think this is the best ALW song, better than Phantom Of The Opera but I like Sarah Brightman too. I know that POTO's sound is cleaner but I'd prefer the orchestra.
I love the beginning of the song and the "Tyre track and broken hearts" part. It's as same as in the middle of For Crying Out Loud.
When I didn't know it was from a musical I thought it's a mix of Jim's songs. Some lines from Peel Out and Lost Boys And Golden Girls.
I have the CD of Whistle Down The Wind and I love Bonnie Tyler's version too.

A question! What does it mean: If Only's - Cathy Porter. Who is she? Are these lines been by her?

My score: 10 or 11

Average: 8.28 (190.5/23)

Tim 16 Apr 2003 15:54

No not a 10.

This is a strange song. Not the best, but also not the worst........don't know what i will do with this song. The clip is great, i think, but the song.....

In a good mood i will give it a 9
In a bad mood i will give it a 5

White of High 16 Apr 2003 20:20

Tim!
When I count average which vote I use?

Tim 16 Apr 2003 20:22

Use a 7.5 :lol:

Oh, how terrible am i!!! :lol:

White of High 16 Apr 2003 20:24

Then you are happy! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Michel 16 Apr 2003 21:55

An amazing song. Great music, goog lyrics, typicial Jim lyrics.

My score: 8/9

Cloggy 16 Apr 2003 22:39

Hmmm definatly not my favorite. You just have to be in the mood for it.

6/10

White of High 16 Apr 2003 22:48

I note you don't like musical.
Hey everybody! Meat was a musical actor!

sherrie87 16 Apr 2003 23:00

My favorite version of this one is on the Storytellers DVD, but it was left off of the Storytellers CD, oddly.

Sherrie

Michel 17 Apr 2003 15:18

I have the audio version from Storytellers.

Cloggy 17 Apr 2003 20:37

Quote:

I note you don't like musical.
I like musical as in going to one.

heat 18 Apr 2003 09:01

I love this song - definately one of my faves. 8/10

Very dramatic, both Jim and Meat did a fantastic job with this one :twisted:

Heat
xxx

JacenSolo 21 Apr 2003 17:25

To me, this song has some great parts, I do love musicals (btw), and I like ALW.....sometimes I like this song, sometimes I skip it :twisted:
Over all....
My Score: 6

batloaf 06 May 2003 02:10

I'm not really a musical fan
and honestly saying this song can do little to me
the Bonnie tyler part is the best

6/10

White of High 06 May 2003 16:14

I think you mustn't sit into a theater for a Wagner opera.
Hey girls and boys! It's Webber! And I think it's his one of the best!!!

Bren 20 Jun 2003 22:03

Don't you just love this song.?The music is so good ,powerful and dramatic,just great.Meat's voice is wonderful,just as powerful,good lyrics
Love it
9/10

evil nickname 21 Jun 2003 01:46

Apart from the long note on "waste" (the one just before the solo) this song is fantastic. I'd give it a 8.5/10

badger 03 Jul 2003 00:52

A do like this song. It seems like a bit of a departure, as even though Meat and Jim have always produced very operatic songs, this one seems the most like a musical (i wonder why lol). I love the long "waste", I wonder if Meat has ever thought about being in an opera?

A great operatic:

8/10

mariella 24 Jul 2003 02:17

This song doesn't 'move' me at all. Think the lyrics are very good, voice also. Must be the music, I gues.

6/10

Mariella

Evan 24 Jul 2003 03:35

I truly bought The Very Best Of Meat Loaf cd just to hear this song. I love the "Whistle Down The Wind" version and this one isn't quite as good but Meat's voice is superb and the music is great to. This truly proves Jim to be the Little Richard Wagner of rock. I love the Bonnie Tyler appearance at the end. "Whistle" should have been big here in the states, it's a shame.

10/10

Bart 24 Jul 2003 10:25

This song is totally over the top and large than life. The best part is the tyre tracks part and that's not sung by Meat :? . It is a fantastic part full of energy. But i don't like musicals at all and this song well, i don't know, sometimes i like it but ..i just don;t know. It is not that great.

6/10
8/10 tyre tracks part

Jayd 24 Jul 2003 10:25

Not one of my faves, but it is good to listen too when in the right mood. 6/10 :)

Wild_Honey 24 Jul 2003 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bren The Bat
Don't you just love this song.?The music is so good ,powerful and dramatic,just great.Meat's voice is wonderful,just as powerful,good lyrics
Love it
9/10

I completely agree! :D One of my favs, 10/10. :bunny:

White of High 24 Jul 2003 12:25

I have a question: When did you start to like Meat Loaf? Cause A Kiss Is A Terrible Thing To Waste has - I think - ancient Jim Steinman basic. The melody's as same powerful as in For Crying Out Loud (with symphonic orchestra). I know it's a Webber song but Webber and Jim do same music (Phantom Of The Opera, A Kiss Is A Terrible Thing To Waste, Memory, Carpe Noctem, Opening Dance, etc.). They are mixing the exploding rockopera with the calm and slow musical. In all songs. Then I don't understand why don't you like Kiss when you like FCOL?

White of High 24 Jul 2003 12:26

Bart!
Then I will count with 7...

Evan 24 Jul 2003 18:57

Lyrically it's classic Jim Steinman. And Jim actually wrote most of the music to this song, although the album says other wise. Webber wrote the music for everything in "Whistle" except this one and when Meat gets to the chorus and the "and one of these nights you're gonna show me that you already kn-ow" it just gives me chills. My only regret is that they didn't include the part from the show leading into the first chorus
"so come with me now we can fly away
there's a time to be saved and you're damned if you stay
put your foot on the gas and let's go
take a chance on a promise and a roll of the dice
we can set a few fires we can melt all the ice
we can have more adventures then you've ever even dreamed that you would know
there's a feast waiting for you and you've never even gotten a taste
it's later then you think and a kiss is a terrible thing to waste"

Check out the "Whistle" version for that. I realize a lot of those lyrics are recycled from "Bad For Good" but they're such great lyrics that Jimmy can be excused for doing it. In fact, at least 80% of the lyrics from "Whistle" were recycled but hey, that's just how Steinman operates.

dottie 25 Jul 2003 10:42

Never quite sure about this one - I think it belongs in a musical, now there's an idea for Meat. 7/10

Terri 27 Jul 2003 16:16

This is a real dramatic song. I really like the Tyre tracks and broken hearts bit.

8/10

Testify 26 Aug 2003 00:33

i love this!! 9/10

RSG 26 Aug 2003 04:35

Re: 71. A Kiss Is A Terrible Thing To Waste

Quote:

Originally Posted by White of High
This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!

A Kiss Is A Terrible Thing To Waste (10)

This is my second favourite song ever. (Only For Crying Out Loud can precede it) I love the art of Andrew Lloyd Webber and I don't understand why hasn't it been famous song. I think this is the best ALW song, better than Phantom Of The Opera but I like Sarah Brightman too. I know that POTO's sound is cleaner but I'd prefer the orchestra.
I love the beginning of the song and the "Tyre track and broken hearts" part. It's as same as in the middle of For Crying Out Loud.
When I didn't know it was from a musical I thought it's a mix of Jim's songs. Some lines from Peel Out and Lost Boys And Golden Girls.
I have the CD of Whistle Down The Wind and I love Bonnie Tyler's version too.

A question! What does it mean: If Only's - Cathy Porter. Who is she? Are these lines been by her?

My score: 10 or 11

Average: 7.83

very first of song, that woman saying IF ONLY................IF ONLY. it sounds really nice, not the ones that go "IF ONLY" - ONLY IT WAS SO

Quigmo 17 Sep 2003 02:07

Removed by Quigmo due to original assesment of wrong song. :oops:

Quigmo 18 Sep 2003 00:34

I originally posted a slam rating of this song. I was obviously confused as to which song this was. I went back to my collection and found the only copy of this song I have is on the story tellers DVD. That song totally blew me away. Definately a big, important JS & ML song! 10/10
(Sorry to those on the site who read the privious post and felt I was being terribly inconsistant with this song). :oops:

evil nickname 18 Sep 2003 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quigmo
(Sorry to those on the site who read the privious post and felt I was being terribly inconsistant with this song). :oops:

Hey, it was your opinion. No reason to get all fussed up 'bout it, is there?

And your avatar keeps freaking me out!

White of High 18 Sep 2003 11:09

Oh yes! A man who likes this song! I think this is one of the best. Great orchestra. I think the matter is that everybody's meaning in a song! We mustn't! It's a part of a musical! We have to listen the music. It's a great orchestra! I think this is one of the best Webber song of all time. And yes, the TT&BH part is a great metal!

Quigmo 18 Sep 2003 23:15

Evil Nickname,
I have to admit that I'm a big fan of the movie "Blade Runner", especally the original theatrical version with the Harrison Ford voice over.

I felt this pic fits well for the father figure of my signature.

If I'm not mistaken this comes from the scene in the movie where the replicant catches the blade runner in the ally and says "Time to Die" just before his own gory exit.

(Sorry for the OT)

RSG 20 Sep 2003 02:10

oops, i forgot

Someone delete the first and last messages I posted, . Some mistake was made here, terribly sorry.

RSG 21 Sep 2003 01:52

IF ONLY

I LOVE THIS SONG!!! The music, is probably the nearest best part!!
Meat's voice here, is another amazing!!! I know i've been saying this most often. But its the truth! His voice goes kinda soft!!! And then BOOMING!!! Tire Tracks And Broken Hearts, well, that makes an amazing leap!! LOVE IT!!! Just the small parts they don't do as much also makes me like it a lot. WE'LL NEVER BE AS YOUNG AS WE ARE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and, the first part, IF ONLY's those are really nice.

And the instruments used, are really nice. And the guitar gives it a kick!!! There's a variety of stuff here. And its sweeeeet!

10\10

RSG 21 Sep 2003 01:53

Re: oops, i forgot

Also please delete this one, thanx, not the middle one. :oops:

Bigmomma 21 Sep 2003 22:22

i agree with Dottie it does sound like it could come from a musical.
but it is still a good song.
kezzina

evil nickname 22 Sep 2003 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmomma
i agree with Dottie it does sound like it could come from a musical.

And you know why? 'Cause it is...

sherrie87 03 Nov 2003 20:53

I absolutely love this song, but I keep wondering just what the heck it's about- anyone have an opinion? Someone here (TBuck, I think) mentioned that the "Tire tracks and broken hearts" bit never failed to bring a tear to his eye, which made me wonder if I was really missing the point as to what the song is about! The Storytellers version of this gives me chills, especially the Tire Tracks part and the bit at the beginning when Meat sings "come closer to me now/like we're sharing the same skin." What a great song! 8)

Sherrie

Woman of Steel 08 Nov 2003 23:50

A Kiss Is A Terrible Thing To Waste...who couldn't love that song? I have it on the Storytellers DVD, but not on the CD. It was left out, though, on the CD. That's odd. I'm going to buy the Very Best of Meat Loaf just to get the studio version. Not that the live version isn't good.
Such a good song :D ! On a scale of one to 10:
11!

A Slice Of English 10 Nov 2003 20:24

This is also one of my all time greats. It took elements from several Steinman songs that were never his most popular and combined them into a stellar, cracking song. I've always been partial to a little bid of rock-classical and this song fits in that vein with the added obvious class of the fantastic Meat Loaf voice.

10/10

Skeleton 14 Jan 2004 12:07

I like this song a lot. Bonnie Tyler is nice in the end of the song. Could they do more duets?

Skeleton 14 Jan 2004 12:07

I forget to give points. Sorry. 9/10

Gez 15 Jan 2004 21:50

Interesting with Bonnie :?

8/10

LostSoul 18 Jan 2004 01:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by evil nickname
Apart from the long note on "waste" (the one just before the solo) this song is fantastic. I'd give it a 8.5/10

I love the "long note". I think it really doesn't fit in it but I just love when Meat does it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariella
Think the lyrics are very good, voice also. Must be the music, I gues.

Right. I do love this song, but there's something about the music that I don't like!
The Storyteller's live version is great! a very intense interpretation!
That song had the potential to become a hit...

9/10

LostSoul 18 Jan 2004 02:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by badger
... I wonder if Meat has ever thought about being in an opera?

"In 1973 (...) friends of the opera offered me (...) to do nothing but study and train (...) and guaranted me that in five years I would do my debut (...) I said no. I couldn't deal with it (...) opera is too confined for me."
Meat @ Larry King Live, june 1994

I dunno if he changed his mind since then.

RadioMaster 08 Jul 2006 12:35

Definitely great!
The first part where heīs so depried about a love that could have been but hot had.

Youīll have to pay for it later, if you dont get it when itīs going for free
thatīs pure Jim

And then he let all the depression behind and thinks of the future,

I like it when the main melody like of the violine comes in in the second part agaiin (ma-tters-what-were-go.ing.to.find)

This month Iīm going to London and watch WDTW, hope the whole musical is as great as that song!

mszee 08 Jul 2006 20:01

Great song...would have been great for a musical in my opinion and as some have pointed out before...listen to it often and think that lyrics are amazing...

9/10

sunneke 08 Jul 2006 22:32

it depends on what kind of mood i'm in ;)

Paul191 09 Jul 2006 00:14

I especially love the Orchestra in this song. Everything else is pretty much average.

7/10

Ross 13 Jul 2006 14:30

I think Meat is a far better singer thatn the guy on the OCR, but I miss the more textured arrangement from the show, with the 4 characters singing in couterpoint (and the great Good Girls never know what they're missing... bit)

But as Paul said, the orchestra is fantastic and Meat's voice is way better the Amos from the show.

8.0/10

Caelan 13 Jul 2006 19:17

hmm let s see I'll give it an 8-10

like the storytellers version..

White of High 21 Jan 2007 22:55

Average: 8.42 (261/31)

samurai7 22 Jan 2007 04:21

Really like this one. I like all the versions I've heard - Metal Philharmonic (Kyle 'Scarpia' gordon) and the WDTW cast recording version. Great song, and one I enjoy performing myself (even if I do it very rarely)

Evil One 23 Jan 2007 23:01

9 I really like this song.

djfierce 23 Jan 2007 23:23

yeah i like this..not as much as others though so

White of High 07 Jun 2012 16:15

Average: 8.44 (287/34)

ShelbyLee 07 Jun 2012 18:33

This one wasn't my favorite but it is still a 7 for me.

Elijah's way 08 Jun 2012 04:16

Love it 10

CarylB 08 Jun 2012 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijah's way (Post 571419)
Love it 10

So do I ;) A giant collaborative show-stopper of a song to which Meat does full justice. Contains one of the best lines ever penned imo .. "Come on closer to me now, it's like we're sharing the same skin"

Caryl

Smithie 08 Jun 2012 17:14

Nice song but not quite the same level of other Meat/Steinman collaborations.

White of High 08 Jun 2012 20:13

If you ask me, Kiss is composed by Jim. This style is far from any songs of Webber. I keep it the best arrangement of a Meat Loaf song, even better than the orchestra of For Crying Out Loud...

CarylB 08 Jun 2012 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by White of High (Post 571443)
If you ask me, Kiss is composed by Jim. This style is far from any songs of Webber. I keep it the best arrangement of a Meat Loaf song, even better than the orchestra of For Crying Out Loud...

I don't believe anyone did ;) .. but given it is credited to both JS and ALW, personally I'd see it as a collaboration. Why on earth would ALW be credited with it if it was written by JS only?

Caryl

JennaG 08 Jun 2012 23:46

Beautiful song with absolutely stunning vocals from Meat.

I don't usually give songs a rating when I post my opinions on them but if I did, this one would definately be a 10.

RSG 09 Jun 2012 03:39

Great lyrics, Great music, Great vocal delivery.

White of High 09 Jun 2012 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarylB (Post 571449)
I don't believe anyone did ;) .. but given it is credited to both JS and ALW, personally I'd see it as a collaboration. Why on earth would ALW be credited with it if it was written by JS only?

Caryl

Becuase it was a song in a musical. Webber composed the music, Jim wrote the lyrics. I can imagine Jim had a few songs in his backpack has never published and he thought it would be perfect in the musical. I'm not sure it's true but Kiss is total different than any other Webber stuff and it sounds like Jim.

CarylB 09 Jun 2012 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by White of High (Post 571474)
I can imagine ....

Not going to even attempt to debate your imaginings ;)

Caryl

ninja 09 Jun 2012 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarylB (Post 571425)
So do I ;) A giant collaborative show-stopper of a song to which Meat does full justice. Contains one of the best lines ever penned imo .. "Come on closer to me now, it's like we're sharing the same skin"
Caryl

love this song too ... and yes, awesome lyrics in there :D