mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Messages (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Meat at ComicCon, London (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20413)

CarylB 31 Jul 2018 01:48

Meat at ComicCon, London

Home after attending the ComicCon in London. I had a wonderful 25 minutes or so with Meat at the end of the event. He was tired, but had loved every minute he spent with all the fans who wanted to see him, and I think being in touch with so many, and feeling the love from so many did him more psychological good than we could dream of :D

Earlier in the day I had been to his talk. He was sharp, in total command of everything and everyone .. as we would expect (he introduced the guy the event organisers had sent to "manage the talk and questions" .. and said he could sit down and shut the F up, because he, Meat was in charge ;) ), very entertaining, quick to deal with someone who got up to leave, and gave an emotional and genuinely heartfelt thanks to all his fans who had given him so much.

He may still need his silver-topped cane, may have some difficulty in getting up after sitting for a while and walking distances, but for a man who had massive spinal reconstructive surgery only 5 months ago, it was a strong and masterful performance from a man with all the vigour, mental acuity, humour, and touching humility that has always been his hallmark, and is still is.

That fire is undiminished, the consummate performer we love is still there firing on all cylinders and then some, plenty of gas in the tank. :heart:

Towards the end of my time with him a fan came up opposite to us at the table wanting two photos signed, even though it was well past the finish. He did of course, and when the guy had left, Meat suddenly sparked into full Meat "celebrating a win" mode, leaned past me and shouted out to Peter Capaldi .. "Hey, Peter. I WON!! See? I WON!!" .. ie he had after all been the last one to be signing :lol:

Deborah said they were flying out today, so by now he'll be above the Atlantic :) Much of what he and I talked about was personal .. but he did say "My voice is GREAT at the moment.. I'm in such good voice, it's really strong" I said to him to remember that not now doesn't mean not ever, and he said "I know .. I need time to recover, get stronger. It'll take time I know, but I'm going to get there" .. and I believe him :) Yes, he's a long way from being where he wants to be .. but an even longer way from riding into the sunset :heart:

We talked about the musical, which he LOVED. He thought the cast were superb, and he had thoughts about things he thought would make it even greater. small things but he said he had made notes and passed them on .. He said the second act is perfect, but had some ideas about using more of Jim's lyrics to strengthen the first act .. and no doubt will be talking to Jim if he hasn't already, but his genuine delight at its success and the way people have responded to it was abundantly clear .. he was emotional and just so happy that it has finally been brought to life on stage .. Jim's dream realised :)

At the end of the event when they were trying to herd the queues for the A listers through faster .. going down the Peter Capaldi line shouting "No dedications, no names, just a signature" .. Meat refused to be rushed. His view is that if people have paid to come and seen him, have taken the trouble to .travel, he is going to give them some time, to feel they have made some connection, that their time was special. He knows he cannot spend 5 minutes with everyone, but he will not have them rushed past him. He said to me "Make sure you tell them that I love them all, that I wish I could have spent more time with them all, but that the time they were there in front of me they were the only person there, and very special to me" :heart:

Whatever happens with the NLE/Caleb venture, if it goes ahead in the near future Meat will not be actively involved, but Deborah said she expected they would put out an announcement soon saying this, but that Meat fully endorsed it.

But to any who say Meat doesn't know what's best for him, or is too stubborn to listen to anyone .. I say that's crap! He understands his limitations, and also his potential. Deborah, who was a tower of strength to him there and enabled him to make the event, is firm, has his interests at heart, and will support and guide him through the next year or so. He knows he needs time, but his determination, his creativity, his love of life, what he does, and his fans is undiminished. His frame needs healing time, and he knows that. But he's at a great fighting weight, his eyes are clear, his mind sharp as ever, his control of everything around him as firm as ever. He remains the tour de force that is simply .. Meat .. and a very, very dear friend :)

anotherday 31 Jul 2018 04:16

Annnnnnd I’m crying.

Nige78 31 Jul 2018 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarylB (Post 622893)
"Make sure you tell them that I love them all, that I wish I could have spent more time with them all, but that the time they were there in front of me they were the only person there, and very special to me" :heart:

This is amazing, such a wonderful outlook.

Meataholic 31 Jul 2018 10:46

Thank you for sharing this with us Caryl.👍💕

jmfreeman 31 Jul 2018 10:54

I'm sure Caryl won't mind me riding her thread rather than start a new one for Comic Con. Forgive the rambling and disjointed post to follow, but I'm just going to type down some thoughts from the Sunady... Meat was in great form. He was a true professional - running to time on every event (apart from his talk, which started late because of the previous one over-running, but he remained on stage for as long as he was scheduled to, and then some!). During the photoshoots he was so gentle and caring, putting everyone at their ease - looking at them, speaking to them, shaking their hands and keeping hold of them for the duration. During my picture I changed hands with him after shaking in order to throw my arm around him for the picture, which he loved. The camera caught his laugh at that, and made a lovely picture. His signing sessions were popular, but again he made sure to connect with everyone. I also got to have a great talk with his wife Deborah, who I hadn't met before, but got along really well with. She certainly seems a good one, and Meat didn't hesitate in singing her praises. As for his talk - it had all the passion and energy of any of his shows. His stories were wonderful, long and rambling (in the way that we know and love) but he always came back to the point... eventually! It was here that you could see the flame is well and truly still alive in him. By the end he was on his feet, punching the air, throwing his love and thanks to us all, and you could tell the man missed being on stage. It was pretty emotional, and he was in tears by the end as he told us how much we meant to him and how much we had given to him over the years. He also mentioned the '100 Moments' book, and said he's at work on that. let's hope so. It'd be great to see that. During the talk he also sang at a few points, and from those brief moments his voice certainly seemed to be in good shape. He's down to 188lbs, and though he clearly has a lot of difficulty moving about, he looks (and sounds) better than he has done in the past couple of years. I can't think there was anyone he didn't win over. He did himself proud at the event, and it was fantastic to spend some time with him. Let's hope we get chance to again before long. Thanks, Meat!

jmfreeman 31 Jul 2018 12:27

That'll be Sunday, rather than Sunady....

CarylB 31 Jul 2018 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmfreeman (Post 622903)
I'm sure Caryl won't mind me riding her thread rather than start a new one for Comic Con.

Absolutely not .. it's a thread for all of us :D

I can only endorse what you've said. Meat has a huge loving heart, and a brilliantly shining soul. His love, his thankfulness, his acknowledgment of a debt he feels he owes every fan who has supported him in any way stands unsurpassed by any artist ever in my view, and goes far, far beyond many .. as does the genuine humility that he shows so very clearly lies behind the bravado of the Sex God personality he creates on stage.

And I agree completely .. during his talk you could see the fire, the love of performing, everything that has made him the amazing entertainer he is, still burns as brightly as ever . A friend commented to me that at the end she loved the way he paused just before he finally disappeared, looked out at the crowd standing and cheering, who had been so entertained, laughed and even wept a few tears with him, seeming to drink it in, and took a breath as if he was breathing in this proof that he was still loved, still had all that makes him such an outstanding performer, to hold and nourish him in the months ahead.

Also I meant to say, we all owed a big thanks to Deborah, who made it possible for him to be there, had the appearance of being inexhaustible (although I'm sure she was exhausted by the end) and who also did so much to make sure so many fans left on a high. Just as Meat sat and made such personal contact with every single person who queued to see him, she was on her feet and everywhere, watching and supporting him and alert to every fan, making sure the event was special for them .. I saw she was still trying to grab a bite from her lunchtime sandwich at 4.30 and again after 6pm!

Even Meat's security guard was the most alert of all I saw. I watched as an angry Capaldi fan tried to get behind Peter's table to cheat the queue, and whilst his security guard was there, Meat's (who happened to have Meat's cane in his hand at the time) had his hands on the miscreant as fast as did Capaldi's guard!

It was indeed a tour de force from everyone in the Aday camp ;)

jmfreeman 31 Jul 2018 15:31

"I was never fat... I was sexy!"

Caryl, did you figure out what song Meat was referring to when he mentioned 'Fallen Angel' as one he really liked (but then refused to believe it when someone told him what album it was from)? Was it that one, or something else he was thinking of?

CarylB 31 Jul 2018 16:07

Didn't he then say it was the one written by Bob Dylan .. and I said .. Forever Young?

jmfreeman 31 Jul 2018 16:24

Was that then? I thought that was a different time/answer. But it could have been. These things often end up a little blurry in all the excitement!

jmfreeman 31 Jul 2018 16:34

Ah, yes, in fact "It's All Coming Back To Me Now"....!

'Forever Young' he mentioned when someone asked his favourite song. He mentioned three, and that was the third.

But 'Fallen Angel' was in response to a later question - someone saying they put on his music whenever they felt bad, to cheer them up, and asked what he listened to when he wanted to feel better. He said he really liked his song ' Fallen Angel', but when he asked what album that was from said 'no, it wouldn't be on that. Nothing on that was any good', and went on to talk about his work with Jim and his thoughts on the 'Braver Than We Are' album.

So the mystery remains... and part of me thinks that I've heard him mention his like for 'Fallen Angel' before somewhere... hmmm...

CarylB 31 Jul 2018 17:50

Yes, that's how I remember it ;) And he just didn't want Fallen Angel to be on Midnight .. lol .. So for him? It wasn't :lol:

Something else I'd add. I expected him to be a little shorter, (if they take any more discs out I'll be able to look him in the eye ;) xxx) and to be walking with some difficulty .. he had MAJOR back reconstruction just 5 months ago and the spine is central to the body. And of course his weight loss, achieved by such determined dieting and so important given his back, makes him look very different to the man we last saw on stage. But it was abundantly clear that he still has that same fire (in such a flatter belly :heart:), that same energy and burning sense of purpose and .. well .. Meat style.

It would be an achievement for a 35 year old to do this event just 5 months after surgery .. Meat's achievement is nothing short of astounding. He has no earthly reason to be embarrassed by some slowness in walking .. but I was pleased they found a motorised scooter for him to get around on to avoid people with more cruelty than decency and respect taking photos of him having some difficulty at times.

But on that stage here was no trace of "frailty", in photoshoots no trace of effort or discomfort, and with each fan he met the same generous gift of making them feel special in those moments.

He still has it all .. creativity, a desire to entertain, the ability to command an audience and everything around him, that way of lighting up the space he occupies and filling it with wonder .. and he will not let anything get in the way of that, nor diminish it He didn't in London .. and he won't, anywhere. He will get stronger mechanically, he will find ways to keep being who and what he is .. extraordinary and without precedent or peers :heart:

jmfreeman 31 Jul 2018 18:30

It's true Caryl, there's no better way of putting it: the fire is there. I spoke to him when he was in London promoting 'Braver Than We Are' in 2016, and that spark wasn't there then. He seemed so frail that I honestly didn't think we'd see the old ML again. This weekend put that idea to rest for me.

I have to say, that whole day - the photoshoot, the signing, and the talk - was every bit as enjoyable to me as a concert (and so much more personal). I'd pay good money for similar things in the future. And by the queues over the weekend, so would many others.

As for 'Fallen Angel' - perhaps Meat is only now starting to realise just how good his backlist truly is? It often takes time for artists of any kind to do that. Didn't I read recently that he'd been listening to the 'Blind Before I Stop' album and said it wasn't as bad as he remembered?

CarylB 31 Jul 2018 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmfreeman (Post 622911)
It's true Caryl, there's no better way of putting it: the fire is there. I spoke to him when he was in London promoting 'Braver Than We Are' in 2016, and that spark wasn't there then. He seemed so frail that I honestly didn't think we'd see the old ML again. This weekend put that idea to rest for me.

Yes .. in spades. I wasn't able to make the Braver signing .. but I know he was in indescribably pain, held together with strong painkillers, and struggling to be himself. Now I'm sure he's not painfree .. and without his special bed in London I suspect he found it hard to sleep or get comfortable. But his progress IS remarkable, and the Meat we love was back, the energy there .. he's back, he's moving forward, he's not done by a long chalk! :D

Quote:

As for 'Fallen Angel' - perhaps Meat is only now starting to realise just how good his backlist truly is? It often takes time for artists of any kind to do that. Didn't I read recently that he'd been listening to the 'Blind Before I Stop' album and said it wasn't as bad as he remembered?
I think so . and you're probably right about him looking back and having a rethink .. although he's still not happy with much of Midnight as we saw :lol::lol:

jmfreeman 31 Jul 2018 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarylB (Post 622912)

I think so . and you're probably right about him looking back and having a rethink .. although he's still not happy with much of Midnight as we saw :lol::lol:

Ha ha... give it time!

CarylB 02 Aug 2018 01:34

Brief update: Meat had a painful flight home, but is now safely back in Austin and resting under Deborah's watchful eye

anotherday 02 Aug 2018 05:13

:’(

stretch37 02 Aug 2018 05:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarylB (Post 622919)
Brief update: Meat had a painful flight home, but is now safely back in Austin and resting under Deborah's watchful eye

I'm sure he'll be recouperating for a couple of weeks after such a massive undertaking. What a brave soul he is, and generous and kind. He'll be fine though. He would never have went if it were adverse to his health after all this. Meat's a smart cookie ;)

loaferman61 02 Aug 2018 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmfreeman (Post 622909)
Ah, yes, in fact "It's All Coming Back To Me Now"....!

'Forever Young' he mentioned when someone asked his favourite song. He mentioned three, and that was the third.

But 'Fallen Angel' was in response to a later question - someone saying they put on his music whenever they felt bad, to cheer them up, and asked what he listened to when he wanted to feel better. He said he really liked his song ' Fallen Angel', but when he asked what album that was from said 'no, it wouldn't be on that. Nothing on that was any good', and went on to talk about his work with Jim and his thoughts on the 'Braver Than We Are' album.

So the mystery remains... and part of me thinks that I've heard him mention his like for 'Fallen Angel' before somewhere... hmmm...

If Meat puts out another book I'd like to read more about his views and recollections of each album and how they may have changed over the years. Any behind the scenes stuff about songwriting, record company interference, etc. would be some great reading.

PanicLord 03 Aug 2018 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by loaferman61 (Post 622923)
If Meat puts out another book I'd like to read more about his views and recollections of each album and how they may have changed over the years. Any behind the scenes stuff about songwriting, record company interference, etc. would be some great reading.

100%. Would be fascinating. Wonder what he said about Braver Than We Are?

proctorloaf 03 Aug 2018 01:08

I'm still holding out for one more album. I would love for Meat to play older characters like a king at the end of his reign, a knight going into battle more one time, a magician perfecting a spell... etc I'd love The Graveyard Shift and We're Still the Children to be recorded... But I know I'm greedy, we've had so much from Meat!

CarylB 03 Aug 2018 01:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanicLord (Post 622924)
100%. Would be fascinating. Wonder what he said about Braver Than We Are?

On Sunday he still said he believes it's the best album Jim and he have done .. still the one he listens to and has listened to more than any other he's made. I think he really enjoyed working in the studio with Paul, and Paul's been posting a lot of photos on his FB page of him working on it.

I think the book, this one anyway, will start with the memorable moment of his birth .. and then cover others in his life. Ninety eight or ninety nine more. He said there will be blank pages at the end and a pencil .. for each of us to write our own last Meat moment when he dies ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by proctorloaf (Post 622925)
I'm still holding out for one more album. I would love for Meat to play older characters like a king at the end of his reign, a knight going into battle more one time, a magician perfecting a spell... etc I'd love The Graveyard Shift and We're Still the Children to be recorded... But I know I'm greedy, we've had so much from Meat!

Yes :) And I still can't let go of lingering hopes for that promised Christmas album. I guess it will come down to backing .. because touring to promote it seems unlikely. But he said his voice is in good shape and very strong now. So ..

The one thing I've learned with Meat is to never say never :heart:

Paul191 03 Aug 2018 02:01

Brilliant! Reminds me of when I went to the BOOH3 signing at Oxford street with Marion Raven. The guards were repeatedly saying, no pictures, just signature, and move on! I said to Meat that I had travelled very far to see him, and asked whether he would have a picture with me. He was so accommodating and didn't care about what anybody else was saying. He said 'Sure! lean in!', and it was you Caryl who took the picture! (I'll be very surprised if you remember that!!) What a great guy! Glad to hear he still has that same mentality. :)

Feleena 05 Aug 2018 15:30

He was wonderful I had a lovely photo with him so did my daughter Emma he was amazing at the talk. Still has that spark! :D
My time with him at the signing was amazing love him to bits xx

meat_loaf 05 Aug 2018 19:31

It was an amazing experience my 3 time meeting him, hopefully not my last. Debbie was lovely too, i only wish the weather had been better I got soaked on the way there and back, but it was well worth it, for those that didn't make it to the talk here's a photo I took few more on my ML fan page.
https://meatloafans.files.wordpress....0086.jpg?w=558