mlukfc.com Forums

mlukfc.com Forums (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Lost Boys and Golden Girls (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Justin Avery (https://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18536)

Evil One 06 Oct 2012 12:12

Justin Avery

I'll save my review of the new DVD for when I have more time, but there's one thing I feel the urge to comment on. Justin Avery is a fantastic addition to the band. Mark Alexander was a great keyboardist, but Justin brings something to the table that has been lacking for several years. It's just a shame that Meat didn't discover him years ago. :shrug:

Elijah's way 06 Oct 2012 13:46

When does his cd come out?

olblueeyes 06 Oct 2012 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil One (Post 577937)
I'll save my review of the new DVD for when I have more time, but there's one thing I feel the urge to comment on. Justin Avery is a fantastic addition to the band. Mark Alexander was a great keyboardist, but Justin brings something to the table that has been lacking for several years. It's just a shame that Meat didn't discover him years ago. :shrug:

100% agree with that - Mark was great but Justin is in a class of his own. His fingers dance around on that keyboard like he was born on a piano stool. I love what he has done with Rock n Roll Dreams - the piano solo is a great addition, and what's more, his solo is different every time. I get what Meat means when he says JA doesn't think, he just plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

melon 06 Oct 2012 17:21

Damn straight!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Forum Runner

robgomm 06 Oct 2012 18:14

Best pianist Meat has ever had. I absolutely love the part in the show when Meat says if Jim was there he'd be standing up screaming! And he would! He would have loved what Justin and the rest did.

Evil One 06 Oct 2012 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by robgomm (Post 577947)
Best pianist Meat has ever had.

Second best. Nobody played Steinman songs like Steinman.

BostonAngel 06 Oct 2012 19:38

I am a huge fan of Mark Alexander's work. I adore him; he is a fun guy to be around as well as a great musician. I will agree that Justin is a wonderful, talented, and well needed addition to the band. I think he has more personality as a performer than Mark did. Justin is so much fun to watch. I remember the first time I saw Justin perform with Meat in 2010 though; he was almost like a scared timid child. He had just joined the band and was still learning the ropes. He has grown tremendously as a peformer. I love the moments when he gets to take center stage with Meat - he truly shines.

The Flying Mouse 07 Oct 2012 18:32

:twisted: Mark is a great player, but Justin is insanely talented.
He brings a hell of a lot to the band.

Sebastian. 07 Oct 2012 18:38

I love Justin's playing, I wish I could piano like him. Then again, I wish I could play the piano...

I woul dlove to hear Justin's rendition of Objects!

Mr. Happy 08 Oct 2012 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil One (Post 577950)
Second best. Nobody played Steinman songs like Steinman.

I'm sure this is going to get me a hell of a lot of hate, but I'd actually have to disagree on this. I mean absolutely no disrespect to Steinman, considering he's composed some of the most amazing songs in all of history...but his playing has never really reached out and captivated me. Heaven Can Wait and Objects from LATW come to mind, and that's because there were actually a few painfully wrong notes in there. That's not to say he's not a decent piano player (like I could do any better :lol:), but he never actually struck me as an amazing piano performer like Justin does.

I dunno, maybe it's just me :oops:

AndrewG 08 Oct 2012 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Happy (Post 578017)
I'm sure this is going to get me a hell of a lot of hate, but I'd actually have to disagree on this. I mean absolutely no disrespect to Steinman, considering he's composed some of the most amazing songs in all of history...but his playing has never really reached out and captivated me. Heaven Can Wait and Objects from LATW come to mind, and that's because there were actually a few painfully wrong notes in there. That's not to say he's not a decent piano player (like I could do any better :lol:), but he never actually struck me as an amazing piano performer like Justin does.

I agree with Happy.

I think Steinman at his heights was probably on the piano level I am at now, thereabouts I think. I was never classically trained so no clue what grade that is. Avery is however in the stratosphere with notes at times. A bit like Steven Margoshes sounds on Pray Lewd or Roy Bittan from E Street. Very difficult to play like that and probably requires a bit more dedication / classically training. Better than Mark Alexander too.

loaferman61 08 Oct 2012 17:58

Quote:

Not just you. No disrespect toward Jim or Mark Alexander for that matter. I always found Jim to be great in his own way, but not in a great classical pianist way. Bittan, Margoshes, and even Avery are in a class unto themselves. Yet without Jim they would not have the songs.

Paul Richardson 09 Oct 2012 01:31

Quote:

I mean absolutely no disrespect to Steinman, considering he's composed some of the most amazing songs in all of history...but his playing has never really reached out and captivated me.

I like this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmxQ9...feature=relmfu

'The piano is too retarded and slow' - lol - Jim is a brilliant pianist but his songs are too difficult !

Julie in the rv mirror 09 Oct 2012 02:34

Quote:

I agree that Jim's playing seems a bit sloppy to me sometimes. But, having said that, at other times, there's no one I'd rather hear play those songs. There's something to be said for expressing emotion as opposed to technical perfection.

I do think Justin is fantastic, though. If there's one player he reminds me of, it's Bruce Hornsby.

glamourgirl 09 Oct 2012 17:11

I think Tom Brislin is underrated. He remains my personal favorite on piano. Every piano player has been extremely talented though.

Benny 10 Oct 2012 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by glamourgirl (Post 578052)
I think Tom Brislin is underrated. He remains my personal favorite on piano. Every piano player has been extremely talented though.

Tom is awesome, agree there.
Justin is brilliant, and works so well in the NLE.

Evil One 10 Oct 2012 16:05

I think Tom Brislin is definitely underated. But that could be because his stint in the NLE was quite short.

Wario 10 Oct 2012 20:22

Justin is the best piano player on the planet. bar none. there are no exceptions. Billy, Elton and Jimmy come close tho

Benny 10 Oct 2012 21:46

Roy Bittan is the best :)

Smithie 12 Oct 2012 17:26

I agree about Roy Bittan being the best I've seen live.

anotherday 14 Oct 2012 06:10

I saw Elton live a few months ago and he was AMAZING. Having not seen Justin...yet I can't comment but I will report to you Friday night if I'm not too frazzled!