PDA

View Full Version : CHSIB Review Quotes

Michael Marxen
30 Mar 2003, 15:47
from independent (not industry or shop-based) German magazines:

"His voice seems to become younger and younger, and he picks songs with golden hands." "The title track, that blows you away... has all trademarks of Meat Loaf, without sounding like a cheap self-imitation." "Producer Peter Mokran managed to update the sound of the seventies without selling its soul." (from Rockhard, rating 9/10)

"Bombastic, theatrical, overblown...the last survivor of his genre presents rock full of curlicue and ornaments with the power of a Wagnerian opera.""...found perfect songwriters even without Jim Steinman. And for some tearjerking melodies and his voice it is no shame to love him" "Bottom line: Bombastrock can be that much fun!." (Prinz, 3/5)

"...his fans will kiss him." (Audio, 3/5)

"Larger-than-life emotions, dramaticly performed again ." "...the result is the first acceptable record in 26 years...the theatre choirs are well done for the first time since 1977, the erupting grand piano and the mercilessly lavish changes of pace rise the emotions...Meat Loaf himself...delivers his energy and his acting talent closer to the point , and finally the songs are capable to breath life into all the common standards." (Rolling Stone, 2,5/5)

"11 tracks without highlights." "...definately nothing special" (Metal Heart, 6,5/10)

Reading this reviews you get the impression that most of the critics really love the album but feel it would be uncool to give a Meaty record a higher rating :oops:

The Flying Mouse
30 Mar 2003, 16:11
:twisted: What the hell is the guy from Rolling Stone on about? :evil:
So according to him,CHSIB is the best Meat Loaf album since Bat Out Of Hell.OK,i'm not going to argue with that,I haven't heard it yet so I can't comment.But if that's the case why give it a lowly 2.5/5?
Has this guy never heard of Dead Ringer,Bat II,Bad Attitude?They are all amazing albums,and if the best since Bat is only worth 2.5/5 what the hell are they worth 1/5? 8O
I think the real reviewer was sick or on holiday and they must have got the cleaner to write instead.
Either way he's got a hell of a lot to learn about rock & roll.

Cloggy
30 Mar 2003, 17:47
Point with meatloaf (and especially the BooH album) is you either love it or you hate it. He obviously is one of the latter :)

Bart
30 Mar 2003, 21:03
you love it or you hate it, that's the way it goes with almost everything.

I never read some journalist's reviews, cause they don't no sh** about any artist.

Bart
30 Mar 2003, 21:05
i was not finished yet. More important are the reviews from other Meat Loaf fans who have already heard the album. That's more value to me, cause they know sh** about Meat Loaf.

dottie
30 Mar 2003, 21:46
i was not finished yet. More important are the reviews from other Meat Loaf fans who have already heard the album. That's more value to me, cause they know sh** about Meat Loaf.

Right On Bart!

Bart
30 Mar 2003, 21:52
She is back from Tenerife! I didn't get a card though....

dottie
30 Mar 2003, 22:02
She is back from Tenerife! I didn't get a card though....

Oh my love - I forgot - You probably wouldn't haven't received it until next year anyway :lol: the postal system out there sucks :lol:

Michael Marxen
30 Mar 2003, 23:57

Agreed.
That is why I added a long track by track "review" at the "It happened - Ready To Rock With Meat Loaf" subject. As it is done by the regular release it should include some bits of new info from the booklet.

Vickip
31 Mar 2003, 03:33

Right On Bart!

My thoughts exactly :))
Vicki

Dick
01 Apr 2003, 00:12
Some stupid bitch in the Times News paper (friday28th) gave Meat's new album 1*/5*. How shite is that.

ChrisBelfast
01 Apr 2003, 00:30
this is the review Dick is referring to:

If, however, it’s a collection of long-winded set-pieces, with a picture of a cutie showing off her knickers on the front, then that would be the new Meat Loaf album you’re after. Couldn’t Have Said It Better (Mercury) rolls back the years to the days when the Texan titan tried to turn rock’n’roll into a Wagnerian soap opera and very nearly succeeded.

With its pompous delivery and nonsensical lyric — “And you said nothing at all/ Well I couldn’t have said it better myself” — the title track is Bat out of Hell, Part 112, while elsewhere even Bob Dylan’s timeless elegy Forever Young is turned into an overwrought, string-laden odyssey. After a full hour of this bluster, a bumbling version of David Lindley’s Mercury Blues is tacked on as a “hidden” afterthought and for anyone still aboard after that lot, the bonus track is a live recording of Bat out of Hell.

As ever with Meat Loaf, size remains the issue at stake. On the autobiographical Tear Me Down, a voiceover modestly reminds us that: “He grew into a big man with a big voice. And he sings big songs and has big hits.”

Still correct in all but the last of those details, I’m afraid.

ChrisBelfast
01 Apr 2003, 00:37
what an absolute rubbish review..the reviewer knows nothing! nothing at all! these people are meant to be professional when all they do is appear stupid. They know nothing about meat or the record! I suppose you expect this but with all of meats albums - either u love em or hate em. Unfortunately this reviewer is a POP MUSIC FAN. He gives all the pop Cd's full marks.....very very biased...shouldn't be in a job!

Dick
01 Apr 2003, 00:54
Although i try to agree with everyones opinions, i dont agree with this critics because it is so clear that they are biased. Just look at the wording and the way they try to make a joke by saying Bat 112.

In my opinion this review is a huge pile of ~~~~in shite!!!!!

ChrisBelfast
01 Apr 2003, 01:00
yeah well said dick

Ben
01 Apr 2003, 01:39
NAH!! I cant be done with that! i still aint heard the full album yet but the review from the times is utter shit! where has this person been for the last 25 years?? meat has made timeless albums with timeless songs!! and im sure that the best is still to come! Bat out of Hell 112? wot a stupid PRAT!! that aint even the slightest bit funny!!

The Flying Mouse
01 Apr 2003, 06:12
:twisted: She's probibilly still traumertised by the break up on the Spice Girls 8O .
From her review,she is totally unsuited to her job.She is completly without knowlege,taste,wisdom and wit.She really needs to be fired.Having the president of the West Life fan club as your musical reviewer is a bad idea.
There will always be reviwers that think it's cool to put Meat down.They think it's trendy :roll:,But Meat has always proved them wrong,and he'll do it again now.
In years to come,people will still be rocking to the best entertainer in the world,while she will probibilly be back working at McDonalds by then :wink:

Take no prisoners Meat :twisted: .

dottie
01 Apr 2003, 10:14
yeah well said dick

She is a big D..K I don't believe the pomposity of these so called reviewers - there just jealous - because Meat has more talent in his little finger than they will have during the whole of their life time no matterwhatthey accomplish :evil:

ChoccyBat
01 Apr 2003, 13:25
The bit that is most stupid is where she says "(Meat) very nearly succeeded" with Bat. Exactly how long has it stayed in the charts for now??!!!! Personally I'd have thought that still selling out major venues and having huge world tours 25 years after starting indicates a lot of success!! I certainly can't see Westlife selling out world tours in 2028!!!

Bart
01 Apr 2003, 13:37
Well, i have said that already. Those journalists don't know sh..., so don't care. If it is gonna be a hit, then it is a hit, no matter what they write.

dottie
02 Apr 2003, 10:39
Well, i have said that already. Those journalists don't know sh..., so don't care. If it is gonna be a hit, then it is a hit, no matter what they write.

RIGHT ON BROTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cloggy
02 Apr 2003, 19:57
A couple of more reviews.......

Meat Loaf - Couldn't Have Said It Better (Myself)
As even his harshest critics will admit, Meat Loaf is a genuine rock'n'roll superstar. And as even his greatest admirers must concede, he isn't exactly good at coming up with new ideas. For the last couple of decades he's done little more than churn out variations of his greatest hit Bat Out Of Hell - and the fact that it gets yet another airing here as a bonus track is a good warning of what's to come. Just about every one of these twelve (very lengthy) songs follows the same formula - Meat Loaf's been dumped, he's not terribly happy and he's going to let the rest of the world know all about it. The result is a collection of one-paced, old-fashioned rock ballads that even the old ham's fans will find it difficult to get too worked up about. True, his great bellow of a voice is in pretty good shape and at least he doesn't seem to take himself too seriously. But it's still hard to escape the feeling that this is Meat Loaf on autopilot - and as such, not an album that anyone really needs in their collection.
Reviewed by Andrew Lynch. Published on the 09/04/2003

Album: Meat Loaf
Couldn't Have Said It Better, Mercury
By Andy Gill
28 March 2003

The title is a moot point: not only could Meat Loaf have said it better before; he has said it better before, and a few too many times, if truth be told. Not so much a one-trick pony, more a brewer's drayhorse whose round has become over-familiar through endless repetition, Meat Loaf seems stuck in the 1970s, condemned for ever to churn out minor variations on his Big Hit. It doesn't matter how much he tries to modernise things by adding a trip-hop beat half-way through the title track (a fairly sad-dad notion of "modern", to begin with) when the song has already played the Springsteen card with Aaron Zigman's piano detailing, which irresistibly recalls The E Street Band's Roy Bittan. It's still all just footnotes to "Thunder Road", but with the passion curdled into sub-operatic bombast. And while Springsteen, contrary to Paddy McAloon's assertion, has actually matured beyond the world of merely "cars and girls", there's something a little creepy about the way Meat Loaf's material still relies on an essentially adolescent representation of sexual relations. As always, Loaf is the spurned victim, his wounded heart given voice in that characteristic style, akin to the lachrymose bellowing of an emasculated ox. "I used to be a man of steel," he laments, "Now every bit of faith is gone." What's not gone, though, is "Bat out of Hell", an 11-minute live version of which is thrown in as a bonus track. It's as if his career has short-circuited back to its beginning.

ChoccyBat
02 Apr 2003, 20:04
The word 'pathetic' springs to mind. How can they say "his fans will find it hard to get worked up over CHSIB"???? Have they not read these forums!!!!!!!! Ah well, the omens are good - critics are panning the new ML album - just as they did with Bat and Bat II - and look what happened there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bart
02 Apr 2003, 21:02
Thanx for the reviews. Funny to read and indeed i was right. They don't know sh..t. Well, Meat didn't change his music but they still write the same stuff they already have written for 25 years. it is just funny. :lol:

Ben
02 Apr 2003, 23:21
well it seems that history is repeating itself self in the way of the critics reviews. so it looks like were gona have a number 1 single and album this summer!! what do u think??

Michael Marxen
03 Apr 2003, 01:17
another quote from Germany:
"The album is not a milestone in the history of rock, but full of nice ballads and spicy old-school rockers." (TV Today, 2/3)

ChrisBelfast
03 Apr 2003, 01:25
i myself a huge meat fan (and others have said this too) took a few listens to really love the new cd and the problem is the critics only listen once. this a cd that a meat fan has to listen to a few times never mind how many times a reporter will have to listen to it to like it. I had worries about this all along. Good reporters listen to the cd a few times over, my worries is the idiots doing these reviews think meat loaf so one listen and anything pop is listened to loads

MeatBall
03 Apr 2003, 03:32
About the "very nearly succeeded" thing....whasnt Bat 1 on the english albumlist for 400 weeks in a row??? This is what it says on a Jim Steinman fansite:

Even though "Bat out of hell" got of to a slow start, it has become a mile stone in rock music and one of the best selling albums of all time, spending over 400 weeks in the British album charts, earning it a place in Guinness book of records. All of the songs including such classics as "Paradise by the dashboard light","You took the words right out of my mouth" and "Two out of three ain't bad", have been released as singles

And if that isnt succes i dont know what is...

White of High
03 Apr 2003, 12:15
I think nobody said Meat wasn't succes. BOOH1 is the 3rd in 'the most copy found a sale' album. Everybody knows BOOH1 was the pioneer of rock! But I have to agree wits some critics CHSIB won't be pioneer. I think everybody knows why...

The Flying Mouse
03 Apr 2003, 13:26
:twisted: I don't know why the critics are so determined that Meat should change his style :roll: .The point is that his fans love what he's doing.Modern?Why should Meat want to be modern?Modern music is rubbish.As for everything he's done being a clone of Bat,although Meat follows a particular style,his albums all sound completly different.Unlike most artists,Meat is true to his fans.He knows what we want and he gives it to us.The result is millions of very happy fans.
The critics are going on about another live version of Bat.For fans,another live version is a treat.Music critics just don't understand that.Maybe it's because they are used to reviewing here today gone tomorrow groups.I just don't think your average critic understands the hard core fan mentality anymore.If anybody is out of touch it's the critics.

Still,it is funny to read.If history is anything to go by these reviews should push the album to number 1 :lol: .

Ben
04 Apr 2003, 01:28
The Flying Mouse

Still,it is funny to read.If history is anything to go by these reviews should push the album to number 1

AHMEN! Lets certainly hope so!

P.S. id love to speak to the critics who laughed at BOOH1 and more or less dismissed it with out giving it a chance! A FAT lot they know![/quote]

Feleena
04 Apr 2003, 13:41
:D My copy of CHSIB has just got to me from Germany!!!!!!!!
Im crying!!!!!!!!!!!
Just gonna go listen!

Feleena xxx

Ben
04 Apr 2003, 14:46
hi ya Feleena,

well??? wot did you think of the album?

another Meat Classic??

Bart
04 Apr 2003, 15:18
The Flying Mouse

Still,it is funny to read.If history is anything to go by these reviews should push the album to number 1

AHMEN! Lets certainly hope so!

P.S. id love to speak to the critics who laughed at BOOH1 and more or less dismissed it with out giving it a chance! A FAT lot they know![/quote]

The record company thinks it will be at number one in the UK and in Germany.
:lol:

Feleena
04 Apr 2003, 15:23
:D Hi ya
Ok Im recovered from the tears lol!
I have listened to the album just now and well its amazing its him all over!
His voice is getting stronger and the emotion in Forever Young wow!!
I just could go on and on.......... :wink:

We will certainly be in for a treat when we hear it live!

Hugs

Feleena xx

Ps Thanks Fire Ball for a wonderful album! x

Cloggy
04 Apr 2003, 19:32
Postman delivered the cd today.....but I was at work so he dropped it at the postoffice.....which closed 1 minute before I got there. Gonna have to wait till tomorrow now >:[

Guppie
04 Apr 2003, 21:52
Postman delivered the cd today.....but I was at work so he dropped it at the postoffice.....which closed 1 minute before I got there. Gonna have to wait till tomorrow now >:[
Ah too bad...

Cloggy
05 Apr 2003, 13:58

Cloggy
05 Apr 2003, 14:10
Finally got the album, so might as well give my own review. This review will probably be of more use than the reviews given by the "professionals", seeing as I actually listened to the album ;)

I'll do it song by song and give it 1 out of 5 ratings, which mean:

*: Bad song / should be burned / trash
** : Below average / nothing special / cd filler
*** : Above average / ok song, nothing more, nothing less
**** : Great song / nail on the head
***** : The daddy among songs / gives a special feeling / 'ave it!

Anyway, after listening to the short clips from kazaa and meatloaf.de, I got some high expectations of a few songs (CHSIB, Man of steel, Because of you, forever young) but I was also sceptical about a few (You're right, Love you out loud, Do it).

Couldn't Have Said It Better : (7.03) : [*****]

This is by far the best song on the album and this might be a #1 hit. What Anything For Love was for BooH2, CHSIB is for this album. You just wanna play this song over and over again.

Did I Say That : (6.06) : [****]

Allready listened to this song a lot of times since I bought the single. It's a great song. Most is allready said about this song I think.

Why Isn't That Enough : (4.06) : [****]

Great strong ballad. Meat does what he does best here.

Love You Out Loud : (4.10) : [***]

This is an ok rock song, but it kinda drags on towards the end. I think this is a bit more of the same really, but nonetheless it's a good effort.

Man Of Steel : (6.16 on the cover, but actually 4.40) : [****]

I looked forward to hearing this song. The clips sound great and the album tells me the song is over 6 minutes. And indeed the song is fantastic and it gets even better when Pearl comes in. But then after 4.40 minutes, the song is finished and is filled up with some m0ng on a flute. (the intermezzo thing).

I just have this feeling this song isn't finished yet or at least not the album version. CHSIB could be finished after 3.30 minutes, but it continues with a good guitar solo and picks it up from there. I am missing that in this song really. I really want to give this song a full 5 stars, but I'll stick to 4 instead.

Testify : (4.56) : [****]

Bit of a surprise this song. Especially when it turns into some sort of gospel song (I love gospel). Think this song might do well in the summer, cause it sounds like a happy, fun song. Nice addition to this album.

Tear Me Down : (3.37) : [*****]

I loved the version of Hedwig and the angry inch (or whatever) and was curious how Meat would do this song. And he does it fantastic. It's not that long, but it wants you to turn up your volume. It's a fantastic song, nuff said!

You're Right, I Was Wrong : (3.44) : [*****]

Another great ballad. He puts in a lot of feeling again in a way only Meat can do.

Because Of You : (3.54) : [*****]

This is actually a farely simple song, but the lyrics are just so catchy and makes you wanna sing along. That makes it a great addition to this album

Do It! : (2.36) :

I was most sceptical about this song and now that I heard it a couple of times, I can't really say I like it. It's just not a song I prefer to listen to. It's just a lot of noise, sorry.

Forever Young : (5.05) : [*****]

Bob Dylan is a fantastic songwriter, yet a crap singer. Meat is obviously a great singer and this song has Meat's name on it. It's just fantastic!

Mercury Blues : (3.50) : [***]

Then after a full 2 minutes of silence, the hidden track, Mercury Blues, kicks in. I reckon this song is an excisting song, but I don't know who it's from. I am not a big Rock 'n Roll fan myself, so that influences my opinion on this song. Meat sings it fantastic and it's a good effort.

I am a bit disappointed that this is a hidden track tho. I never understand the use of a hidden track, seeing as everyone knows about it before the album comes out anyway. So now when I wanna hear this song, I need to skip through Forever Young to 7.00 minutes. Why not just make it a seperate track and not list it on the tracklist?

Conclusion?

It's a fantastic album with some great rock and also some great ballads. The title track is blatently the best song. The only downsides I can mention is that Man Of Steel is too short / not finished (in my eyes), Do It! is simply crap and they should have sorted this hidden track in some other way. (tho this is just a minor thing).

I give this album a steady 4 out of 5. :)

Cloggy
05 Apr 2003, 14:10
hmmm, I wrote a review, but it wont appear on this post ! >:[

Cloggy
05 Apr 2003, 14:13
Or does it? Hmmm buggy :D

Peat Loaf
05 Apr 2003, 18:09
If I could put my 2 cents in here the thing with Meats critics is simple ever since Bat they have battered him and every time he has proved them wrong ESP the ass holes in the states and that’s why to this day they keep putting every thing he does down they love to hate him and I’m sure he loves every min of it my god look how long it took him to get a Grammy as he said he thort he would get an Oscar before he got one any way Did I Say That and ICHSIB are fecking awesome and in my opinion are well worthy of a Bat 3 slot but I’m glad we got them now and I am looking forward to performing both new songs on our UK tour :)

Pete 8)

Bart
05 Apr 2003, 18:13
Way to Go, Pete :D , by the wat what do you think of this album? is it great or is it great or what :??:

Peat Loaf
06 Apr 2003, 01:11
I have full copy’s of DIST and CHSIB I have only heard the loops of the others the rest but it sounds awesome as I said in another post DIST and ICSIB are Bat 3 martial and I’m looking forward to performing them on our UK Tour 8)

Feleena
09 Apr 2003, 17:26
Hi all :D

Just had a good afternoon my Mum played games with my daughter whilst my Dad and i went to listen in his "music room" he has surround sound!! We played CHSIB the whole album wow !!!!!!
My Dad is 75 years old and he enjoyed the album especially the relaxing bit in the middle but he was impressed by the whole energy Meat still sends out! So there ya go never to old to rock!

Feleena