PDA

View Full Version : 52. Wasted Youth

White of High
17 Feb 2003, 18:26
This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!!

Wasted Youth

I ain't want to grade this "song" like Nocturnal Pleasure. It just a vision. But very very good. I love it!
When Jim starts to say it you think a more mysterious continuation... like Nocturnal Pleasure.
But the time is changing. The end is very funny. No, no funny perhaps a big surprise.
When you watch "To Hell And Back" you would see Meat and Jim were breaking a piano in audition. Wasted Youth would be more funny with that piano. Well...

"And I ran up the stairs to my parents bedroom
Mommy and Daddy were sleeping in the moonlight
Slowly I opened the door
Creeping in the shadows right up to the foot of their bed
I raised the piano high above my head
And just as I was about to bring the piano crashing down upon the center of the bed..."

Yes, I know the shooting of Love & Death & An American Guitar should be too hard but I think it would be Jim Steinman! We let the guitar crashing to Iggy Pop! :lol:

Average: 9.24 (64.7/7)

Garrett
17 Feb 2003, 19:16
I think "Wasted Youth" isn't a stand alone spoken part on BOOH2. I never saw "Wasted Youth" as a short spoken passage track or an intermezzo. NO DAMN, IT ISN'T!!! Can't you understand this? Okay, if it is an intermezzo for ya, it should be one for you! But for me it isn't! "Wasted Youth" is one of the longest songs. Completely around eleven minutes of length. Because "Wasted Youth" is a whole song!! And it is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! The song you talk about in this thread isn't "Wasted Youth". It is "Love And Death And An American Guitar"! The spoken passage you described is just a part of the whole song (incl. "Everything Louder Than Everything Else"). And so the spoken part is the prologue of the whole song "Wasted Youth". So I won't give my opinion to your next thread called "Everything Louder Than Everything Else". My opinion of the whole song "Wasted Youth" is here!

10+/10

Michel
17 Feb 2003, 20:24
"Love And Death And An American Guitar" is an amazing Jim poem. I like it in 1977-178 when Jim did it always.

YOU "MAY NOT USE A PIANO IN THIS SONG. THAT IS KILLING JIM!!!!!!!!

My score: 8

Anonymous
20 Feb 2003, 03:56
This was one of the very first things I ever heard by "Meat Loaf" Or at least I thought it was then. Two years ago I was on a Geology trip with my old college, and my tutor played us BOOH2. She didn't know who was reciting it then, but I remember Sue (My Tutor) saying he had a "such a beautiful voice". If ever I met a woman with a fire in her heart, it is her. If it hadn't have been on that trip, I sure as hell would never have discoved Jim Steinman.

I'm a huge fan of Steinman's Monologues now, and this is probably the best. By the end of the week, my whole class knew it word-for-word. Its an anthem of my youth I shall never forget. Of course, said youth is far better wasted, when compared with the prospect of a wise and productive old age. I always reminded her of this fact whenever she told me I was neglecting my studies.

I read somewhere (probably on www.jimsteinman.com) that this was out of a movie Jim was making (I think it was called "The Guitar"). I vagueley remeber a girl performing this in a "spoken word" competiton at secondary school - I pains me to recall it.

Geez, I could go on all night, but the thougth has just occured to me: "Who am I? What am I here? Forget the questions, someone - get me another beer!"

Oh and google for "wasted hardware" - a parody of LADAAAG for the techies of this world".

Goodnight Vienna.

Overlord
20 Feb 2003, 03:59
Whoopsee! Forgot to login - post above is mine :-)

Dave.

The Flying Mouse
12 Mar 2003, 16:33
:twisted: Great story Dave.
I agree with Garrett that this is a natural intro to Everything Louder Than Everything Else.But I still think it is worth it's own score.
From the first line "I REMEMBER EVERYTHING" your hooked.
There's plenty of black humor.It sounds like a death row confesion.
The ending is excellent.Here's this guy about to smash his guitar into his parents and his father's prime concern is hey,be careful,guitars ain't free you know.
There is almost an apologetic quality to the line "you know I love you".Then the final defiance "But you've got a hell of a lot to learn about rock and roll".
An instant classic.
The live versions are great.
10/10 Smashing.

Bart
13 Mar 2003, 09:37
it is about youth, teenagers, rebellion against your parents, (like every teenagers does). it is ironic, it is funny. it is dangerous. it is a story, a movie and a play. it is just 100% Jim Steinman. this guys is like shakespearre. You can write 1,000 pages full about the themes and visions of this true genuis. Oké, enough of this "making god of Jim-thing". it is also a very weird guy. i think al genuis in this world are also lunatics. jim is one of them.

This song is 8/10.

White of High
09 Apr 2003, 20:40
Has anybody ever seen the video of Love & Death & An American Guitar? I have seen again (after 6-7 years) the 2001: Space Odyssey! There is a scene where a primitive man threw up a bone and after fell down. In Jim's video a guitar fell back. Oh yes! This scene was parodied by Jim!
I love this film...

Quigmo
17 Sep 2003, 11:28
What can I say other than perfect!
10/10

White of High
17 Sep 2003, 18:05
Well just look at my signature. What can I say? I fell in love with this bit when it was know as "Love and Death and an American Guitar" on the JS album.
10 / 10
But I would understand if it was DQed for not being a "proper" ML song.

For that we know your opinion...

Tim
17 Sep 2003, 19:03
Wowwww. totally forgot to put my opinion about this song here. So here it goes... Think it is a beauty... The way Steinman is speaking, the background noises... really love it. Bit scary and funny in the same time. It looks a bit like NOcturnal Pleasure.. (funny about that piece, is that the echoe of the voice is before the voice itself), but i do think that this one is much better, and longer also.

8.7/10

RSG
23 Nov 2003, 01:06
I am thrilled with this piece, it is really amazing. And the sounds that go with it come along nicely. This is an extraordinary piece, and I would have loved to seen (I think it was a play) where it came from. I believe the play was titled Neverland.

10/10.

This is my personal favourite poem of all time. Or vision to some. Great piece, great piece. Look forward to something like it on Bat III

rockfenris2005
29 Nov 2003, 09:25
In repy to RSG:

I am thrilled with this piece, it is really amazing. And the sounds that go with it come along nicely. This is an extraordinary piece, and I would have loved to seen (I think it was a play) where it came from. I believe the play was titled Neverland.

It's BAAL'S DELIRIUM from Neverland, around the end of Act 2. It blends in with a reprise of "Bat Out of Hell" (but spoken) and "Nocturnal Pleasure". I have the NEVERLAND recording of this version - BAAL'S DELIRIUM - but it's an infinite version, and not the one that you'll recognise from BAD FOR GOOD / BAT 2.

10/10.

(My opinion: 10/10)

This is my personal favourite poem of all time. Or vision to some. Great piece, great piece. Look forward to something like it on Bat III (*maybe Jim could re-use the MIRROR speech from Pandora's Box?*)

LostSoul
30 Dec 2003, 02:32
I don't remember if it was on Everything Louder Tour or on Born To Rock Tour but the Wasted Youth lyrics were a bit different:

"And I ran up the stairs to my parents bedroom
Mommy and Daddy were F****** in the moonlight..."

I do remember thinking: "Did he say that?"! :lol:

I think it's an egocentric-selfesteem-showy monologue! but I like it!

7/10

Skeleton
24 Apr 2004, 21:42
I call this as a Uncle Jimīs bedtimestory. And I donīt even now why. :roll:

Itīs kind a funny poem.

10/10

RadioMaster
07 Jul 2006, 23:03
This "song" is a confirmation for what Iīm trying to tell everybody:
You can create an emotion, a story, a scenario just with your speaking voice.
You can raise the excitement till the point of no return and let it crash down on one point.
I like such things!

Thinking about writing a translation and trying to use it for our next few theatre shows, maybe as something like a pre-show-show or at the break in the middle...

Really cant rate this song, to many too different facts

Evil One
23 Jan 2007, 23:21

White of High
28 Jan 2007, 22:46
Average: 8.88 (97.7/11)