PDA

View Full Version : The worst news in history of the universe!!!

Garrett
13 Feb 2003, 18:50
I heard a horrible rumor:

MEAT HAS FALLEN DOWN TO 40TH POSITION!!!!! :cry: :cry:

[curse mode on]
Now, I will run amok!!! Kill the people who are responsible for that disaster!!! KILL'EM ALL!!! :evil: :evil:
[curse mode off]

White of High
13 Feb 2003, 19:17
Is it important?
Do you like this song?
Then what's the problem?
In Hungary we say: More lose at Mohács.
Mohács is a Hungarian city where the Turkish won against us. We lost our country there. Well, more lose at Mohács!

MeatBall
13 Feb 2003, 22:25
When I saw the topic I thought that Meat was dead or something serieos.
But it dosen´t matter wich place his singels and albums comes in. The important thing is that you like the music.

Never stop rocking!

mariella
13 Feb 2003, 23:05
Garrett!! You nearly gave me a heart-attack!! When I saw this topic, I started calling 911. Then I read what it was about. I agree, not good news at all. Germany is not the only country where it will be released.. It is a FANTASTIC song and if the public doesn't see that, it's their problem! This is certainly a disappointment but this doen't mean it is over yet!!!! Maybe it has got something to do with the video, love the song, don't get the video.
Meat, please don't let this get you down!!! It is not over yet. Go get them!!
Mariella

Anonymous
14 Feb 2003, 11:19
meat has climbed to number 12,,where do these people get there info,,its the 5th most requested song in germany at the moment,,so calm down

R.
14 Feb 2003, 18:24
I'm afraid Garret's information is correct. 8O

Here's page 2 of the current official german Top 50 Single chart (Media Control): http://www.lycos.de/webguides/music_mp3/music/charts/index.html?type=single&pge=2

:roll:
R.

M.Bison
14 Feb 2003, 20:50
:evil: Oh no, no, no! It's like Bat Out Of Hell 1 all over again these German people are monster's to treat a Meat Loaf song like that! Now let's pray that Did I Say That will do well over here and why did the German's put the song down to number 40? Is it because of the video and they decided to rate it 40 after The 40s Man or do they think the song is pure junk? I think the song is great so let's just stick with our opinion and let them stick with there's but this is not like what happened with me insulting everyone a couple of weeks ago but LET'S JUST GET MAD AT THESE MONSTER'S ANYWAY!!!!!!! :evil:

[Psycho Crusher Mode On]
G I hate them!
G I do!
G I hope ye hate them too!
[Psycho Crusher Mode Off]

Did I Say That rules and I rate the song 9.8/10 and the video gets the same rating and I Couldn't Have Said That Better Myself!

Tim
14 Feb 2003, 20:54
Oh my god, Garrett!! Of course this is not okay, but he, i thought something very bad has happend, heart attack orso.......But okay....to bad, in Holland it will do better LOL!

Guppie
14 Feb 2003, 21:16
:evil: Oh no, no, no! It's like Bat Out Of Hell 1 all over again these German people are monster's to treat a Meat Loaf song like that!
I think the song is great so let's just stick with our opinion and let them stick with there's but this is not like what happened with me insulting everyone a couple of weeks ago but LET'S JUST GET MAD AT THESE MONSTER'S ANYWAY!!!!!!! :evil:

hey... calm down... don't call people monster's just because DIST dropped in the charts... :roll:
Guppie

Michel
15 Feb 2003, 11:18
Oh my god, Garrett!! Of course this is not okay, but he, i thought something very bad has happend, heart attack orso.......But okay....to bad, in Holland it will do better LOL!

Offcourse it will do better in the Netherlands. Because there are many dutch Meat fans!

Anonymous
15 Feb 2003, 12:20
As DIST didn't do as well as they hoped in Germany, quite possibly it won't be released elsewhere.

I always maintained that Germany was the guinea pig for DIST and that the song wasn't strong enough. Let's hope they release a stronger song off the album in other countries.

Tim
15 Feb 2003, 15:56
Guest,

Why do you thing that? There are so many bad release this day.....and i do think a ML release is always much, much, much better then any other release!!

I thought the measure point for cd's isn't just 1 country!! I mean, to bad in Germany, but why not in Holland, UK, Indonesia???? :lol:

tukayaway
16 Feb 2003, 01:23
I think that any single released in the UK will struggle to make the top 10 to be honest, but the album sales will ride high for a while. Unless the songs are that damn good.

Don't crucify me, but I just dont think that Meat's music will fit in with the UK charts, despite the fact that he's one of a dying breed of performers.

tukayaway
16 Feb 2003, 01:24
I think that any single released in the UK will struggle to make the top 10 to be honest, but the album sales will ride high for a while. Unless the songs are that damn good.

Don't crucify me, but I just dont think that Meat's music will fit in with the UK charts, despite the fact that he's one of a dying breed of performers.

Anonymous
16 Feb 2003, 02:28
For some reason I can't seem to log in under my own name so I'll have to use guest again.

I agree with Tukayaway that any Meat Loaf single will struggle to be a hit in UK just because it is by Meat Loaf. Sadly in UK there is a stigma attached to Meat Loaf. He sells out large arenas but radio stations don't like playing his singles!

Meat Loaf's last Top Ten single in UK was I'd Lie For You back in 1995 - eight long years ago. During that time the charts have changed DRAMATICALLY in UK. In 1995 singles still worked their way up to number one (other than a few exceptional songs) but in 2003 usually a song will go in at number one, stay there for one week or maybe two and then quite quickly descend.

Look at David Sneedon recently. He was in Fame Academy so he was on TV three times a week for about 2 months and he sang the song he wrote on national television several times. He won Fame Academy (several million people watched the finale and voted), he then sang the song several more times on all different TV shows on national TV. Despite all that massive exposure, they delayed the date of the release of the single as other big singles were being released. The week that it was released it went straight in at number one (as expected) but only stayed there for two weeks. It happens to actually be a good song (although his voice isn't very strong IMO) and if it had been released back in 1996 it probably would have stayed at number one for four or five weeks.

The date that a single is released is also crucial to whether or not it is a big hit or just scrapes into the charts. The one good thing that Meat Loaf does have going for him is that he is a "name" so he'll get some TV exposure just due to that.

It's all about manipulation too. I don't mean that the record companies manipulate the charts as such but they do gear the releases towards the younger audiences who are the people who tend to buy records.

If you look at a Meat Loaf audience in UK, you will see younger members there but the majority of his fans are 25+ and they just do not buy singles as much as under 18s. Of course Meat's BIG fans will buy his single (and all versions of his single as record companies now release different single CDs with different tracks) but the more casual fans (the majority of fans who go to the concerts) will just buy the album and some aren't even interested in his new stuff but just want to hear the tracks from BOOH.

I really hope that at least one song from CHSIB is a BIG hit but personally I don't think that DIST would ever make it in UK. I like it but I don't think it's particularly a strong song and it received MASSIVE promotion in Germany and yet still didn't even make the top 15. Polydor did brilliantly to get DIST as the theme song for that TV epic so the song was played constantly when they showed adverts for the TV show. They also got Meat Loaf onto Wetten Dass which is one of the biggest TV shows in Germany (an estimated 77 million people watched it), plus they performed DIST on three other TV shows and yet the song still only made number 18 for one week and then fell to number 40.

I don't want to get into an argument with anyone over this so please note that the above is only my opinion (but I like to think that I can see things reasonably objectively!).

Sue
http://www.KasimInfo.com

Michael Marxen
16 Feb 2003, 19:12
Why is the chart impact of DIST (18,40) considered as a failure here?!
You cannot compete with the unavoidable crap that tops the charts these days (i.e. TV casting group, comedy stuff). Deduct that stuff and DIST did even better in the competition of serious music.
And there is no rule to be in Wetten Dass and top the charts! From the four songs performed on Wetten Dass that night, DIST came in second on the charts. Christina Aguilera did better, Tom Jones and Faith Hill would have been happy to be Number 18!
Being Number 18 first week and fall down heavily the next one is nothing exceptionel. Exactly the same happened to the Number 18 the week before, which was DJ Bobos (crap but famous here in Germany) new entry by than. First week is the fanbase effect. Probably DIST will not have a massive decrease again next week. Will be able to inform (and not spreading rumors, as Garrett called it) about that on Wednesday again.

Michel
16 Feb 2003, 20:39
I think the reason of the charts is simple. Every Meat fan bought the first week the single (also fans from other countries). Many non-meat fans didn't buy the single. That's probably the reason why the song has fallen down to the 40th position.

Dick
16 Feb 2003, 23:00
Sue, i totaly agree with you. Would you not say Comic Relief has a huge audience like Wetten Dass. I also think people here might appreciate it more than in foreign countries because people in english speaking countries will understand the lyrics, so it might do semi-well.

Anonymous
17 Feb 2003, 00:11
. I also think people here might appreciate it more than in foreign countries because people in english speaking countries will understand the lyrics, so it might do semi-well.

Well, looking at the German Top Ten from the link posted above, 8 of the songs have English titles.

My comment about Wetten Dass was that despite being on that show, it still *only* reached #18 in the charts. According to KasimSulton.com, 77million people were expected to watch that show, 77 million people were expected to hear DIST and yet the single only sold enough copies to reach #18. Quite possibly that was a week when there were loads of new releases and maybe if it had been released in another week, it may have done better but the fact is DIST did only reached #18.

Anybody who has been looking at http://www.KasimSulton.com will have seen that Kasim Sulton (Meat Loaf's bass player / musicial director) is keeping an online diary / photo album of the promotion of CHSIB. In part seven (http://www.kasimsulton.com/makingthecd/part6.html) Kasim says that "the life of a record hinges on that first single" and that "if the initial reaction to a record is a lukewarm response, it's next to impossible to get anyone excited about anything else on the CD after that".

The fact is, it doesn't matter what us fans think about the record dropping from #18 to #40, it matters more what Polydor and any other record companies considering signing Meat Loaf think and whether they believe that they will recoup their investment.

I think we all agree that we wish DIST was still climbing the charts and that, whether we think #18 is a success or a failure, we all hope that the NEXT single gets to #1!

Sue

Tim
17 Feb 2003, 09:40
Maybe another single before the album release. But a rock single orso or a beautifull ballad, maybe non-ML people would like that.

The real fans are buying the single anyway.

Bart
17 Feb 2003, 10:19
it's impossible to have 77 million viewers in a country where lives only 80 million people. And about the charts: I am very very p.... off! So f.... the charts!!!! I am gonna love it anyway!

R.
17 Feb 2003, 22:37
it's impossible to have 77 million viewers in a country where lives only 80 million people.

Include Austria & Switzerland, then count again. German is their mother tongue.

8)
R.

White of High
17 Feb 2003, 22:43
R.!

I don't wanna dispute but in Austria they are livin' 8 million, in Switzerland 6 million. 77 out of 95 ain't bad! But impossible...

Anonymous
18 Feb 2003, 00:20
People in Holland and Belgium also watched it.

Anonymous
18 Feb 2003, 00:25
My comment about Wetten Dass was that despite being on that show, it still *only* reached #18 in the charts. According to KasimSulton.com, 77million people were expected to watch that show, 77 million people were expected to hear DIST and yet the single only sold enough copies to reach #18. Quite possibly that was a week when there were loads of new releases and maybe if it had been released in another week, it may have done better but the fact is DIST did only reached #18.

I've found another 7 million people!

Sorry but I misquoted Kasim as he *only* said 70 million and not 77 million were expected to warch it!

From KasimSulton.com:
"We've learned 3 songs from the new Meat Loaf CD, 'Couldn't Have Said It Better Myself' and will be performing the first single, 'Did I Say That' this coming Saturday for roughly 70 million viewers on a show called Wetten Dass."

Sue

Anonymous
18 Feb 2003, 05:41
the single will move back into the 30's this week. I think the single will be in the top 10 in the UK. Not DIST, but CHSIB. it an't over folks.

Fire Ball
18 Feb 2003, 19:06
Moving up the air play charts, Moved back to 28 on the singles chart! sold over 50,000 to date. album pushed till april 15th europe, may 5th UK

Meat

Feleena
18 Feb 2003, 19:44
:lol: Go get em Meat!!
Still looking forward to the album !!!!!!!!!!! Please get it to the UK soooooooooooon! Oh and you hurry too!

Hugs

Feleena x

Anonymous
18 Feb 2003, 20:26
:( not released 4 another 3 months,,shit,,i love ya meat,but is 7 and a half years not a long enough wait,,well u know best

MBrevard
18 Feb 2003, 20:37
That's great news about the DIST, Fire Ball! It's an incredible song and deserves to do well!!

So, do you think it's probably true that the first week's chart results were due not only to the wonderful publicity you did in Germany, but to sales from International Meat fans, swooping up the first single from CHSIB because they couldn't wait???? :oops:

Meat, does the pushing back of the European and UK release of CHSIB mean the US release will also be later??? And how will that affect the upcoming tour? Any idea yet as to when US tour dates will start to be announced?? :roll: (No, I'm not anxious or excited or anything--who ME??!!)

Well, enough questions. Great to hear from you again! Last week was a long one for us, as I'm sure it must have been for you! Thanks for keeping all of us informed!! Go, DIST, GO!!!!

Sending lots of love to you...

And to D, P and A

mariella
18 Feb 2003, 22:14
Thanks for the info! I just know the album will do well!!!
How are you doing?
I love it here!
It is always a pleasure to have you around!
Have a great day/night, everyone, Mariella

Vickip
18 Feb 2003, 22:57
Moving up the air play charts, Moved back to 28 on the singles chart! sold over 50,000 to date. album pushed till april 15th europe, may 5th UK

Meat

Hi Fire Ball !

Thanks for the update :))) DIST is an incredible song - I hope it keeps doing well for you. I can't wait to hear the rest of the album and see you on tour again here in the US - hopefully it won't be too much longer :))

Vicki Pearson

Anonymous
19 Feb 2003, 13:03
album pushed till april 15th europe, may 5th UK

The bad news is that 5th May is a Bank Holiday in UK so most of the small record shops will be closed that day. Thankfully nowadays all the large stores still open on holidays but I like to support the independents as I dread the idea in years to come of only being able to buy albums at HMV and Virgin as they've squeezed out the rest of the market.

The good news is that 5th May is my birthday so it'll be a perfect present for me - hearing Kasim's great bass playing and background vocals for the first time on my birthday!

Incidentally, although I hope that DIST stays in the charts for a long time to come, we've started a petition for Meat Loaf's next single at http://www.petitiononline.com/CHSIB/petition.html

Sue

Bart
19 Feb 2003, 15:25
djeeezzz..

50,000 copies. that's a lot. i just gonna love the charts again, but april is a long, long (too long) way from now.

mariella
19 Feb 2003, 19:02
Hello Sue, can we hear the song before signing the petition? I would at least want to know the song before I decide to sign it.
Have a great day, Mariella

Michael Marxen
19 Feb 2003, 23:44
Incidentally, although I hope that DIST stays in the charts for a long time to come, we've started a petition for Meat Loaf's next single at http://www.petitiononline.com/CHSIB/petition.html

Dear Sue,

are you aware that you do harm to our music when you address a petition to Meats record company that indicates the nonsense of DIST being a chart failure?!