PDA

View Full Version : The Pick Of Destiny

Cathie
01 Sep 2005, 21:18
Just found this on IMDB..

Tenacious D in:The Pick Of Destiny

"This is the story of a friendship that changes the course of rock history forever, of the fateful collision of minds between JB and KG that led to the creation of the precedent-shattering band Tenacious D, and of the two heroes' quest to find the fabled Guitar Pick Of Destiny..."

Meat is playing Jack Black's father. I remember a rumour going round about this last year, when Jack Black said he would love it if Meat would play his dad in the movie. Between the antics of Tenacious D and Meat, this one sounds like it could be great :D

Will have to wait until next year to find out.

Link below:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365830/

ChloeLee88
02 Sep 2005, 00:59
This really sounds like its gonna be ace, i love Jack Black and can only imagine the results of Meat and Jack Black together in the same film.......Awesome!!! :)))
chloe

Jayd
02 Sep 2005, 19:01
Not to burst anyones bubble and as much as i want to see Meat and JB in a movie together, word around the grapevine(from various Tenacious d forums) is this film keeps getting put back because of various commitments of different people. Was originally put back because of JB's commitment to his new King Kong movie, also Kyle's commitment of his other band. Meat I say is busy recording Bat 3. So maybe this film will come out ( and I hope it does) but it maybe a while yet. Around 2007 is the word.

ChrisBelfast
03 Sep 2005, 02:12
Meat finished filming his part before the HOTD tour started in June. He said it in a radio interview so it's straight from him.

Vickip
03 Sep 2005, 03:56
Meat finished filming his part before the HOTD tour started in June. He said it in a radio interview so it's straight from him.

Right you are ChrisNI.
And according to the IMDB, the film is now in post production. So hopefully it won't be too long before it's actually released :-)

Vicki

djfierce
03 Sep 2005, 12:20
[Quote = Cathie] Meat is playing Jack Black's father. I remember a rumour going round about this last year, when Jack Black said he would love it if Meat would play his dad in the movie. Between the antics of Tenacious D and Meat, this one sounds like it could be great :D

Does anyone else think that Jack Black has many similar characteristics (grin,laugh,crazed lunatic look :lol: etc.) as Meat?

Rebel 1
03 Sep 2005, 15:44
Not to burst anyones bubble and as much as i want to see Meat and JB in a movie together, word around the grapevine(from various Tenacious d forums) is this film keeps getting put back because of various commitments of different people. Was originally put back because of JB's commitment to his new King Kong movie, also Kyle's commitment of his other band. Meat I say is busy recording Bat 3. So maybe this film will come out ( and I hope it does) but it maybe a while yet. Around 2007 is the word.

Recording starts in oktober !!

ChloeLee88
05 Sep 2005, 21:27
really this october?? wow thats next month.........ace!!!
Chloe x

Vickip
05 Sep 2005, 22:38
Yep ... he's going to concentrate on recording after the tour ends in the U.S. :-)

To get the topic back on track ;) the movie's in post production, and scheduled to be released (in the U.S. anyway) sometime early next year !
It'll be a lot of fun, and I can't wait to see it. Meat was perfect for the role of Jack Black's Dad ... I can definitely see a resemblance between the two of them :))

Vicki

Jayd
24 Dec 2005, 21:53
This movie now has a release date of 27th October 2006 (US release), so can't see it being released in the UK until xmas of 2006 or early 2007. The ending didn't go down to well at a private screening, so this is to be redone. :D

Pudding
27 Dec 2005, 04:29
The official Tenacious D : Pick Of Destiny website is up and running at www.tenaciousdmovie.com

Pud :twisted:

Diane
11 May 2006, 23:26
A small Meat mention here (http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2006/05/11/jack_black_dines_on_grasshopper_enchilad) from Jack Black. He says the Tenancious D movie should come out in 2006. :bleh:

Diane

Vickip
12 May 2006, 00:53
According to the IMDB, it's still in post production, and should be released in both the U.S. and the U.K on November 17, 2006 :-) I read on a message board that they wanted to release it earlier, but had to reshoot the ending.

Vicki

Jeanie
12 May 2006, 01:55
Thanks Diane and Vicki. :))

J.

Vickip
12 May 2006, 03:08
Thanks Diane and Vicki. :))

J.

You're welcome Jeanie :))
I'm really looking forward to this one !
Vicki

chrissylf22
22 May 2006, 17:54
This really sounds like its gonna be ace, i love Jack Black and can only imagine the results of Meat and Jack Black together in the same film.......Awesome!!! :)))
chloe

Should be a great movie

vrg
23 May 2006, 18:06
According to the IMDB, it's still in post production, and should be released in both the U.S. and the U.K on November 17, 2006 :-) I read on a message board that they wanted to release it earlier, but had to reshoot the ending.

Vicki

Starpulse.com also has November 17, 2006 as the release date.

needmoremeat
25 May 2006, 21:13
Fingers crossed the UK gets it at the cinema. I've yet to see Meat on the big screen!!

Pudding
26 May 2006, 04:49
Fingers crossed the UK gets it at the cinema. I've yet to see Meat on the big screen!!

I suggest you buy a bigger TV then :lmao:

Pud :twisted:

needmoremeat
29 May 2006, 16:30
There's a 28" widescreen in my living room!!!:lol:
You know what I mean! I want to see him on a cinema size screen!:D

yemabef
05 Aug 2006, 05:34
Teaser trailer's up at Yahoo.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808705526/trailer

Seems crazy :lol:

MeatGrl1
05 Aug 2006, 09:32
Ooh I can't wait:lol: !

MeatGrl1
05 Aug 2006, 09:35
Teaser trailer's up at Yahoo.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808705526/trailer

Seems crazy :lol:

It does seem crazy and where in the hell was Meat Loaf... This seems like it's going to be another cameo... Goddamnit:-P!

yemabef
05 Aug 2006, 11:05
Just saw the clip they played at ComicCon 2006, including Jack Black confirming the November 17th release date and Meat Loaf singing (briefly) while scolding a young Jack Black ;) Looks great!

Mods, am I allowed to post a link? It's just that I notice this was recorded with a camcorder and might not supposed to have been leaked yet(?).

He's probably just in this cameo, as Rolling Stone says (http://www.tenaciousd.com/images/rollingstone_081006.jpg) that Black leaves his home and his uptight Christian father behind at the start of the film.

AndrewG
05 Aug 2006, 12:24
That film looks ****ing awesome!

Benny
05 Aug 2006, 16:16
That film looks ****ing awesome!
CHSIB :))

Diane
06 Aug 2006, 02:39
Mods, am I allowed to post a link? It's just that I notice this was recorded with a camcorder and might not supposed to have been leaked yet(?).
Sorry yemabef ... no links to bootlegs.

Diane

Diane
06 Aug 2006, 02:51
Discovered on Amazon.co.uk that there is going to be a paperback book of the movie (published 20th October) and a limited edition calendar.

Look here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=nb_ss_w_h_/202-2649907-3461420?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tenacious+d+the+pick+of+destiny

Diane

AndrewG
06 Aug 2006, 02:56
Strange they are publishing a book. This movie needs music by the looks of it.

yemabef
06 Aug 2006, 03:52
Sorry yemabef ... no links to bootlegs.

Diane

Okay, thought that was probably the case.

Jeanie
06 Aug 2006, 03:56
Interesting Diane... re: Tenacious D book & calendar.
Thanks for the info.

J. xo

Diane
11 Aug 2006, 16:03
Jack Black will be hosting the MTV Music Awards in New York on the 31st August.

Read the story here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4783015.stm)

Diane

Vickip
25 Aug 2006, 20:35
Tenacious D will release 'Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny,' the soundtrack to their new film, Nov. 14. Jack Black says fans can expect the album, which was produced by the Dust Brothers' John King, to RAWWWK.

Black is particularly psyched about the first track, which features Ronnie James Dio and Meat Loaf, who plays Black's dad. "Ronnie throws down vocals. And don't forget the Loaf," he says. "Here's the amazing thing about the Loaf. He hasn't sung in a movie since the mother-f***ing 'Rocky Horror Picture Show.' Been saving himself for the D. Thirty years later he throws down, and throws down hard, I might add."

Black is also ecstatic to have a certain Dr. G, who you might know better as Dave Grohl, hanging with the D: "We got him on the record and that's more than we could ask for."

Among the other tracks Black is pumped for is 'Master Exploder.' "That's going to be pretty powerful, where I sing so hard that my microphone catches on fire and I explode someone's head with my voice."

Tenacious D (http://www.aolmusicnewsblog.com/2006/08/25/tenacious-d-rawk-with-dave-grohl-meat-loaf/)

I'm really looking forward to this movie .. and the soundtrack :))
Vicki

RSG
25 Aug 2006, 20:46
THATS AWESOME! Thanks Vickip

Kiss Kiss :D

Dave Grohl Is equally amazing at drumming as Meat is performing! That says alot :D

Vickip
25 Aug 2006, 21:20
THATS AWESOME! Thanks Vickip

Kiss Kiss :D

Dave Grohl Is equally amazing at drumming as Meat is performing! That says alot :D

You're welcome :))
I'm really looking forward to the movie and the soundtrack now :-)
Vicki

Diane
25 Aug 2006, 21:33
You're not alone Vicki!

:mrgreen:

Diane

RSG
25 Aug 2006, 21:39
I know one thing for sure, when it comes to theatre. I'm Going! :D

MissAsh
27 Aug 2006, 20:41
Looks like it's going to be fantastic, can't wait!!

Diane
06 Oct 2006, 03:00
Found on Ireland on-line (http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=197522562&p=y975z3z68):

Black convinced Meat Loaf to play father in film
05/10/2006 - 18:49:36

Actor/singer Jack Black insists there was only one clear choice when it came to casting his father in upcoming Tenacious D film The Pick of Destiny - singer Meat Loaf.

The film features Black and his bandmate Kyle Gass setting out to become the world's greatest rock band.

"We look alike, obviously… but it was mostly his energy that inspired us to cast him," said Black. "Just watching him sing is an education in rock."

Black insists getting the rocker to sign on wasn't difficult adding: "We basically said: 'Will you sing in the movie, yes or no?'

"He said: 'For you guys, yes, because I like your stuff!'"

Blackkat13
06 Oct 2006, 05:31
I love that article

Chris
28 Oct 2006, 22:35
Have a little preview fo a scene from the film (sadly not a Meat scene)

Before you click, i should point out that the language is slightly fruity!!!

Clickety Click (http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006/tenacious-d-p1.php)

LucyK!
30 Oct 2006, 12:09
Sorry to do a Lucy - when's the film released? (No, I haven't read the whole thread! )

Ankie
30 Oct 2006, 12:31
You might consider taking a look at the website (http://tenaciousdmovie.com/) of the movie.

Turn on the sound of your computer and hear the weirdest intro of a website ;)

Ben
30 Oct 2006, 13:06
lol i love it!

RoknRollJesus
10 Nov 2006, 22:30
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8389/tdmi4.png

RadioMaster
10 Nov 2006, 22:55
btw, does anybody know if this short part of kickapoo is Meat´s only appearance in the film?

djfierce
11 Nov 2006, 00:29
You might consider taking a look at the website (http://tenaciousdmovie.com/) of the movie.

:shock:

Jeanie
11 Nov 2006, 04:49

Too funny.. love it. :lol:

Thanks, Ankie. :)

J.

Jeanie
11 Nov 2006, 04:51
Love the pics... :))

Thanks, Jo. :)

J.

Lord Kagan
11 Nov 2006, 16:54
btw, does anybody know if this short part of kickapoo is Meat´s only appearance in the film?

I think it is RJ

mszee
11 Nov 2006, 17:28

No, but it sounds that the part is rather small

meatloaf-unofficial
11 Nov 2006, 19:08
does anyone know wen we will be able to buy the dvd ???? - the relaese date ?? I heard it was today 11/11 but not too sure.

DIZZY DRUMMER
19 Nov 2006, 16:04
I've just got home from watching this film. It is soo funny - if you like Jack Black you will love this. HOWEVER - a word of warning - there is alot of swearing & sexual inuendo in the film. It is rated a 15 - but some sensitive people might not approve of the content of this film.

If you are not easily offended - GO SEE IT.

Meat Loaf is right at the beginning. My daughter & I said wouldn't it have been funny if the young Jack Black was wearing a Meat T Shirt or had a poster on his bedroom wall in this section of the film. That would have been really funny.

It was funny - Meat singing about Rock being bad & evil.

Jayd
19 Nov 2006, 18:00
I've just got home from watching this film. It is soo funny - if you like Jack Black you will love this. HOWEVER - a word of warning - there is alot of swearing & sexual inuendo in the film. It is rated a 15 - but some sensitive people might not approve of the content of this film.

If you are not easily offended - GO SEE IT.

Meat Loaf is right at the beginning. My daughter & I said wouldn't it have been funny if the young Jack Black was wearing a Meat T Shirt or had a poster on his bedroom wall in this section of the film. That would have been really funny.

It was funny - Meat singing about Rock being bad & evil.

I think if anyone is wary about this film before seeing it, then get hold of a copyof Tenacious D's original album, and have a listen, very, very funny, but again offensive. The soundtrack album is funny too, although very short, and not as good as the original album. I am off to see the movie next week, hopefully it will live up to Tenacious D expectations, but having read some reviews, I maybe in for a bit of dissapointment from what I was expecting, but it should still be fun. :D

RoknRollJesus
20 Nov 2006, 18:19
http://www.startribune.com/media/2006/01/24/article_label.source.gif
It's an onscreen family affair in 'Pick of Destiny'

http://www.startribune.com/media/2006/11/17/15/2mov1119.embedded.jpg
After years of promising, Jack Black finally gets a chance to call Meat Loaf "Dad."
Jeff Strickler, Star Tribune

For five years, Jack Black had been telling people that he'd like to cast Meat Loaf as his father.
"He never told me that," Meat Loaf said. "But he told everyone else. So when he called and asked if I'd play his father, I had to say yes."

Meat Loaf felt so obligated to take the role that he didn't even ask to see a script for "Tenacious D in 'The Pick of Destiny,' " which opens Wednesday.

"I just did it because I really like Jack," he said. "I knew it was going to be funny, and I knew it was going to be off-the-wall. I didn't need a script."

In a way, the role offered Black a chance to repay a favor. In 1999, cable TV's VH1 commissioned a made-for-TV biopic about Meat Loaf's singing career. Black landed the starring gig, in part because Meat Loaf lobbied for him.

"He was the guy I had requested for the role from day one," Meat Loaf said. "He's an actor, but he understands singing. He gets music. He respects the integrity of the lyrics. But then the project got postponed, and his career took off. We couldn't afford him anymore."

In an it's-a-small-world irony, one thing that catapulted Black to stardom was Tenacious D, a spoof rock 'n' roll duo he created with fellow comic Kyle Gass as part of a stage improv show. While VH1 was trying to get the biopic project back on track, HBO approached Black and Gass about a weekly series based on Tenacious D.

The movie purportedly shows how the singers got together in the first place. It's a musical, which is another aspect that intrigued Meat Loaf.

"Jack never did send me the script, but he sent me the song I sing," he said. "That was all I needed. Everything I needed to know about my character was in that song."

It wasn't that he never tried to explore what Black had in mind for the character when he wrote the script. But they've both been very busy -- Black starred earlier this year in "Nacho Libre," and Meat Loaf just released a new album, "Bat Out of Hell III" -- and they couldn't find time to get together.

"We came close once," Meat Loaf said. "He was in Las Vegas at the same time I was. He called and told me to come over. But he only had half an hour [of free time], and it took me half an hour to get there."

As it turned out, the song ended up taking on a life of its own.

"The song just sort of happened," he said. "I rehearsed it a couple of times at home. Then I went down to a studio. I thought I was just doing a demo, but when we got done, they said they liked it the way it was, so they kept it. That's the version that's in the movie. The whole thing ended up taking only 15 minutes."

The song comes in a flashback scene in which the father warns his son about the evil he believes is inherent in rock music. "He's a control freak and a religious zealot," Meat Loaf said of the father. "That's the only guideline I needed for the character. I took it from there."

It's not the most flattering characterization, he admitted. He isn't worried about it having any effect on his image, but it could turn out to be a problem for someone else -- namely, Black's real father.

"I asked Jack if his dad was really like this, and he said no," Meat Loaf recalled. "I said, 'In that case, your dad is going to hate me forever.'"

Link to article here. (http://www.startribune.com/1553/story/816876.html)

meatloaf-unofficial
20 Nov 2006, 18:28
does anyone know when the film will be out on dvd ?

AndyK
20 Nov 2006, 18:31
Your looking at a few months away Ross, alot depends on how well it does at the cinema ... Pirates Of The Caribbean 2 is out on DVD today and that was released in the cinema in the summer, some 4 months ago ...

LucyK!
20 Nov 2006, 18:53
Wish Mr Loaf would bend down over me like that...might have to go see this one sooner than planned lol

needmoremeat
20 Nov 2006, 21:34
Anyone else think we need a pic of Meat and JB together?:-)

Paul191
21 Nov 2006, 01:51
Fantastic.................. I bought the album yesterday. It's really good, in fact, it's only slightly worse than the genius original. Meat's vocals in the song are great and the song as a whole is one of the highlights of the album.......... Meaning it could be a single in the future..... making fantastic coverage for Meat!

Jeanie
21 Nov 2006, 02:34
I can't wait to see the movie when it opens here, later this week. :) I also love the "Kickapoo" song. :))

J.

Jayd
21 Nov 2006, 10:57
Fantastic.................. I bought the album yesterday. It's really good, in fact, it's only slightly worse than the genius original. Meat's vocals in the song are great and the song as a whole is one of the highlights of the album.......... Meaning it could be a single in the future..... making fantastic coverage for Meat!

I can't really see it being a future release in the charts, with all that swearing in it. The only releases, I know to date are 1) Tribute (slightly cut) 2) Wonderboy 3)F**k Her Gently on music channels some heavy cuts to this. 4)Explosivo , then POD from the soundtrack album, and with this only being a soundtrack album, and the amount of language in it, I can't really see it being released.

Diane
21 Nov 2006, 12:54
AFF 2006 Review: Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny (http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/reviews/movie-reviews/aff-2006-review-tenacious-d-in-the-pick-of-destiny.php)
November 21st, 2006
By Cole Abaius (http://selfrighteousnation.blogspot.com/)
Release Date: November 22, 2006

As people stumble blindly out of the Borat (review (http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/reviews/movie-reviews/movie-review-borat-cultural-learnings-of-america-for-make-benefit-glorious-nation-of-kazakhstan.php)) daze they’ve been in for the past two weeks, they will wander the town like zombies, wondering if they’ll ever experience anything as good or if they should end it all right there and vow never to watch movies again. Luckily, and as if by fate (which is how the D like it), someone went ahead and made the greatest film of all time to fill the void. The Pick of Destiny, in all its over-the-top-glory, is bad news for Citizen Kane and Beavis and Butthead Do America, and AFI will undoubtedly have to reconsider their respected top film list.

JB (Jack Black) is stuck in Bible belt mediocrity with a desperate need to rock, fueled on by anthropomorphic posters of Ronnie James Dio and hindered by his close-minded father (Meat Loaf). KG (Kyle Gass) is a burn out, buskering on Venice Beach with insane guitar skills and less then a dollar in loose change in the hat he’s passing. After they join forces and JB flies through KG’s rock school, they stumble upon an ancient artifact - a guitar pick made from Satan’s tooth - that has made every rocker who uses it into a legend. They set out on a quest to find the pick which takes them through a cast of wacky cameos, the bumbling security of the Rock and Roll Museum, and the open mic contest that could set their career on its path to greatness. It culminates in an epic battle against the Dark Lord himself - the original, Lucifer, not Voldemort.

Pick of Destiny is a classic heros’ journey that combines the old school comedy of the vaudevillian two-man act with the quirkiness of Tenacious D. It’s also a nice blend of beloved Tenacious gags (the lovable **** push up) and completely new story concepts (KG trying a solo act that only sings back up). Fans of the group will recognize elements of their television show and albums, but people previously unaware of the duo’s brilliance will still have a ton to laugh at. The triumph of two insane, pompous rockers will invoke more than a dozen laugh-out-loud moments

The story is incredibly simple, but the filmmakers knew it, had fun with it, and use it as a strength to keep the audience laughing. As a result, there are several moments where the film makes fun of storytelling without being self-aware or taking the audience out of the experience. Plus, like a decently-made turkey served with delicious stuffing and gravy, the incredible supporting characters and clever dialog act to dress a simple storyline in a fancy tuxedo.
Mixed metaphors aside, the movie will surprise at every turn.

Joining the fun are Ben Stiller as a crazed Guitar Center employee who clues our heroes in on the pick’s history, Paul F. Tompkins as the constantly unimpressed open mic host, and Tom Robbins who shines as a creepy stranger that wants the pick for himself. All three slide seamlessly into the plot and join the comic conversation between JB and KG like comedy ships passing in the night. The chemistry between Black and Gass is effortless, but it’s actually elevated when they share the screen with their cameo counterparts.

Liam Lynch directed this film with consummate skill, letting the D be who they are while marking the movie as his own. Above all else, Pick of Destiny invites the audience into the party of the year and makes them feel like they’re part of the world that flashes on the screen. That, afterall, is what successful movies are meant to accomplish, and Tenacious D does it with style, innovation, and Dave Grohl in a Satan costume.

The Upside: Laughing that hard is a great calorie burner.

The Downside: The reviews on this will probably be a mix of A’s and F’s. It’s either love or hate for the D, and movie-goers won’t be able to know which side they’re on until they pay their ten bucks for a seat.

On the Side: Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters reprises his role as Satan from the music video for the song “Tribute”.

link (http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/reviews/movie-reviews/aff-2006-review-tenacious-d-in-the-pick-of-destiny.php)

RadioMaster
21 Nov 2006, 15:11
kickapoo would make a great single IMO, just think of the amount of stars (JB, Meat, DIO) in one song!:drool:

If Meat´s just featuring in that 30 sec. scene, then the movie is slightly overrated for Meat fans, wouldnt go to watch it just because of him.

LucyK!
21 Nov 2006, 15:58
I'm happy to go see it for those 30 seconds, but I also love Jack Black, so I'd probably have seen it anyway.

Though in saying that, even if I didn't like Jack Black I'm sure I'd end up there for fear of missing something!

Paul191
21 Nov 2006, 18:17
I'm a huge fan of Jack Black so I don't really mind how long Meat is in it for.......... It's just a bonus seeing Meat with him!!:D

AndyK
21 Nov 2006, 18:32
It looks like it's going to be a very watchable film, the fact Meat is in it is a bonus, much like it was with The 51st State. So, that said, tickets are booked to go see it soon.

Jeanie
21 Nov 2006, 20:29
Thanks for sharing this, Diane. :))

J.

Jeanie
21 Nov 2006, 20:33
kickapoo would make a great single IMO, just think of the amount of stars (JB, Meat, DIO) in one song!:drool:

If Meat´s just featuring in that 30 sec. scene, then the movie is slightly overrated for Meat fans, wouldnt go to watch it just because of him.

I think "Kickapoo" would be a great single too RM, except they'd have to edit out almost every word in the "Dragon slayer" part. :lol:

I like most of JB's films, so having him, Meat, Dio, and other celeb cameo's in the film, are great added bonuses. :D

J.

RadioMaster
21 Nov 2006, 21:11
what other celebs btw?

and I´ll go and watch it too, the only problem is, it´ll come out in february here :(

Jeanie
21 Nov 2006, 21:40
what other celebs btw?

and I´ll go and watch it too, the only problem is, it´ll come out in february here :(

Read the review above RM, that Diane posted today.. the article mentions, Ben Stiller, Dave Grohl and others, beside the ones I mentioned previously.

J.

Blackkat13
22 Nov 2006, 06:49
well if he ran away from home wouldn't it be better ending to have JB and his dad making up in the end and his dad seeing him play great music.....Think about how many films do something like that.

Jayd
22 Nov 2006, 10:36
well if he ran away from home wouldn't it be better ending to have JB and his dad making up in the end and his dad seeing him play great music.....Think about how many films do something like that.

Nooooo, it's about JB and KG playing great music for the world, JB's dad would never understand him, and it would be the same old cliche, if that happened. Although it would have been great to see Meat in it a little longer. :D

Hypnobabe
22 Nov 2006, 12:42
My local radio station (B97 Chiltern FM) are promoting this in the evenings... I haven't heard them mention Meat tho'...

Loafy Meats
22 Nov 2006, 12:54
I can't stop listening to this album just now - but I do look mental on the bus cos I keep burstin out laughing. I do love the kickapoo number, especially the guitar change when Meat comes in - it's like, oh oh, you're in trouble now boy!!

Diane
22 Nov 2006, 12:55
Meat steals the movie (http://www.canmag.com/news/4/3/5825) :mrgreen:!:

Article

Meat Loaf (http://www.canmag.com/news/4/3/5825#) is only in a minute or two of Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny (http://www.canmag.com/movies.php?moviekey=tenaciousd) but he has no problem stealing the show. In the prologue about young JB’s rock n’ roll rebellion, Meat Loaf plays his father. He sings a few bars of rock opera (http://www.canmag.com/news/4/3/5825#) against his son, tearing the posters (http://www.canmag.com/news/4/3/5825#) off the wall. Compared to his bombastic album (http://www.canmag.com/news/4/3/5825#) recordings, the movie (http://www.canmag.com/news/4/3/5825#) session was a piece of cake.

Interview: Meat Loaf on Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny

“I did that in seven minutes,” said Meat Loaf. “Literally in seven minutes. They said just come in, we’re just going to lay down a reference vocal for when we shoot the movie. And I said okay, and I went over to one of the Dust Brother’s house, up in like his guesthouse where they had just had this little setup going. And I was on my way to Vegas and hence I had like 15 minutes. And so I went in and I did it. I don’t even remember doing it. And I said, ‘Well, you’ve just got to remember that you’ve gotta let me really do it for real’ and they never did so I have no idea what it is.”

Filming the part a few weeks later, Meat Loaf didn’t do the usual Hollywood lip syncing thing. They did play the reference track on the set, but Meat Loaf gave it his all. “I don’t lip sync. I sing it. Lip syncing would be just moving your mouth, but I sing it. When you’re doing it, you have to sing it or then it looks stupid. You have to sing it to feel it. They prerecord it but you’re still going for it, you’re still singing it. I’m singing at the top of my lungs in that room when I rip those posters down. You go for it. You can’t sit there and just move your mouth. You can’t do that. I think there are some people that do do that but I can’t imagine it.”

Having sung for songwriters as diverse as Jim Steinman, Dianne Warren and Nikki Sixx, Jack Black fit right into Meat Loaf’s style. “Well, what I did was very dramatic. It was very pointed and very dramatic. It wasn’t wishy washy. It went right to the point and it stated its point and it ended. It was written as a scene. Jack’s an actor so his music, at least what I did, I haven’t seen the film and I don’t know, but it was very pointed and it was a piece of cake. It was a cakewalk because it was written well. I never examined it because when I started to do it, it was written so well that you could do it in 15 minutes. And it was short.”

Meat Loaf’s scene is actually with a child actor playing the young Jack Black but Meat met the D’s cofounder for the recording. “We had a long phone conversation when he called me for the movie. But we had met before somewhere but just briefly, and then we had a phone conversation. I guess the first time that I was around him long enough was in that 15 minutes but I really liked him. My daughter knew him and had been around him and really liked him, said he was a good guy and down to earth. You kind of get a sense of that from how he goes. So you don’t mind stepping up for good people.”

With the film beginning to screen, Meat Loaf has appreciated the anonymity he has felt as fans take their time discovering the celebrity cameo. “A lot of people aren’t recognizing me as Jack’s father. I went on a chat board yesterday and there was I don't know how many, but thousands. And it wasn’t until way deep, they went, ‘Is that Meat Loaf?’ So I really like that part. I really like the fact that because the character speaks for himself so I really like that.”

LucyK!
22 Nov 2006, 19:32
Two minute part and he steals the show - that's my guy! :)) lol

Jeanie
22 Nov 2006, 21:49
Thanks Diane, for finding and posting this. :)

I agree Lucy, Meat does steal the show. :) It may only be a 2 min. scene, but it's a great one! :))

J. xo

Diane
24 Nov 2006, 10:58
Enjoy!

http://www.indielondon.co.uk/images/3796.jpg

Found here (http://www.indielondon.co.uk/gallery/tenacious-d-in-the-pick-of-destiny-gallery?imagenum=2).

Diane

Diane
24 Nov 2006, 13:35
Meat Loaf and Jack Black: 2 chops off the ol' hog

Roger Moore | Sentinel Movie Critic
Posted November 24, 2006

That belting voice, the bombast, the beef -- Meat Loaf and Jack Black, think of them as two burly peas in a pod. If there's one guy Jack Black seems to aspire to be, it's Meat Loaf. It's as obvious as his entire music (side) career, his posing, howling histrionics as frontman for rock parodists Tenacious D.

And when Black needed a man to play his dad in his dream rock opera, Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny, the call went out to the Loaf.

"He's been bugging me to do this for five years," Meat Loaf says of the film, in which he plays a singing, judgmental preacher-dad to "JB" (Black). "But then, I'd wanted Jack to play me in the VH-1 movie about me."

Black says that Meat Loaf "inspired me with his brand of theatrical genius, and I'm going to look like him when I'm older."

And yes, the big/big-voiced rocker, famed for theatrical hit singles and epic stage shows, did see the resemblance.

"We're both actors. We're both musicians. All those rock-star posters that get ripped down in the movie? I've got something in common, done a tour or a show, with just about all of them.

"And Jack and I are both high-energy. We're both into The Who. That's who I modeled myself after, Roger Daltrey and The Who."

There's a Who thread that runs through Black's Tenacious D tunes, and even his turn as a rock-obsessed substitute teacher in School of Rock. Who guitarist Pete Townshend's "power slide" -- when a guitar player takes a running start and slides, on his knees, across the stage, in concert -- plays a part in the training scenes of JB in Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny.

Black wrote Meat Loaf a song about rock 'n' roll being Satan's music, "and I cut that thing in about 15 minutes. Perfect song for me. His songs tell stories. So do mine," Meat Loaf says.

"It was a perfect fit. My grandfather was a minister. I mean, I went to church school when I went to college. I could've been a TV evangelist. I think I would've done well at it. But then, you go straight to the dark place when you do that, don't you?"

Tenacious D is about stocky, rock-obsessed acoustic guitarists Kyle Gass and Jack Black, the myth of how they came together as a band named Tenacious D, and a satanic guitar pick they need to reach the heights of rock stardom. It assumes a sort of shared rock knowledge, its legends, its excesses and its cliches, in its audience.

"The people who go see this are not your Aida fans," Meat Loaf jokes. "Is he making fun of me? I don't think so. I don't think of myself as 'arena rock.' I saw Def Leppard. Saw Bon Jovi once. I think I'm on the rock side of the equation, but not that hair-band, arena-rock thing that Jack's going after here. I've done Monsters of Rock shows with guys like Dio [who's in the movie]."

Philip Dodd's The Book of Rock describes Meat Loaf, born Marvin Lee Aday, as "Pavarotti-and-then-some," and that pretty much sums him up. A singer and actor since the stage version of Hair, a scene-stealer in 1975's cult hit, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, he was famous for his acting before the music thing took off.

And it did. He's on tour right this minute with the third installment in his Bat Out of Hell albums. Now 59, he's pushing his new CD, "playing arenas again."

Which he's more than happy to do.

"It's not about waving to the girls in the front row, blowing kisses. It's about delivering the message. That's what rock is. As long as the movie does that, too, I'm happy with it."

Roger Moore, Sentinel Movie Critic Rmoore@Orlandosentinel.Com

See it here (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/movies/orl-meatloaf06nov24,0,2217143.story?coll=orl-calmoviestop)

Jayd
24 Nov 2006, 17:05
NOOOOOoooooooo way, just looked up this on IMDB, because of it's release today, and couldn't find Meat' name within the first few of cast list, like it used to be. So I looked further down the list and guess what? He is there, but as UNCREDITED, that's means he isn't listed at the end credit list. I don't know why this is, but to go uncredited, I don't know what has happened here. Maybe it could be a IMDB mistake, but those guys are usually accurate on information.

Meataholic
24 Nov 2006, 17:41
Thanks for posting this great article Diane. Yep I think that Meat could have certainly been a TV evangelist!

I'm off to see Pick of Destiny tonight :-)

Jeanie
24 Nov 2006, 20:45
Excellent article, thanks Diane. :))

J.

Bap
24 Nov 2006, 21:34
I'm off to see Pick of Destiny tonight :-)

I'm off tonight :D

Welsh Rocker
25 Nov 2006, 11:51
I watched this film last night, omg, so funny, laughed all the way through it, Didn't see much of Meat just in the beginning, even Dio sang a song!

Bap
25 Nov 2006, 13:43
Amazing film! :D Everyone was like "Is that Meat Loaf!" "Legend!" in the audience which was great :P :) but yeah wet myself laughing!! :P

KebLou
25 Nov 2006, 19:15
The film was great the humour was a little bit erm for like teenage boys. Meat was in it for about two minutes which was a shame but he sings!

ChloeLee88
26 Nov 2006, 20:37
just seen the film for the second time i love it....but i have noticed...i'm sure Meat isnt in the credits at the end...has anyone else noticed this? he's mentioned on the cd though!
Chloe

KebLou
26 Nov 2006, 22:43
He's not mentioned 'til right at the end, yes I stayed and watched all the credits... and then it's only for the song he sings to say he performed on the song.

ChloeLee88
27 Nov 2006, 01:06
ahhh thts really odd the mother and brother are listed in the cast credits!
great film though!

AndyK
27 Nov 2006, 14:11
Went to see this on Saturday, and I haven't laughed so much at a film in a long long time.

Meat's not in the film for long, but plays a scary father (glad he's not my dad :lol: ), even the coffee flavoured revels didn't distract from the enjoyment :))

Not a film to watch if you get uneasy at hearing a lot of swearing, but I ****ing loved it :))

meatloaf-unofficial
27 Nov 2006, 14:56
well - he always like to make his appearance on anything BIG !

jcmoorehead
02 Dec 2006, 00:18
I saw it today and it was awesome, just thought i'd mention this. At the scene in the Rock Museum don't you think that Jack actually looks like a young Meat the way he poses when the security guard is after them.

ChrisBelfast
02 Dec 2006, 04:35
After Jack Black who has spoken so highly about Meat Loaf and his role in the movie, the other half of Tenacius D, Kyle Gass is speaking the complete opposite. Check out

http://contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/gass%20meat%20loaf%20is%20an%20ass_1015176

Seems strange Jack being so positve and Kyle being so negative about the experience.

Harsh words...

Kev
02 Dec 2006, 14:16
TENACIOUS D rocker KYLE GASS has branded MEAT LOAF an "ass", after the heavyweight rocker refused to star in new film TENACIOUS D AND THE PICK OF DESTINY for less than $1 million (GBP510,000). GASS and bandmate JACK BLACK always promised to cast Meat Loaf in the long proposed movie, and when the film finally came to pass the BAT OUT OF HELL star knew he could hold out for big money Gass says, "The man's an ass. Meat Loaf knew he had us over a barrel because we'd told everyone he was in the movie before he signed. He wanted, I believe, a million dollars. "We were like 'Meat, you can't have a million. I guess we're going to have to go somewhere else.' "We called his bluff, he came back with his tail between his legs, and the result is cinematic history."

The Flying Mouse
02 Dec 2006, 17:46
:twisted: Personally, I don't believe it.

Think Gass is trying to gas off to the press for some promo, but taking cheap shots like that is WELL out of order.

hmmm, let me see, he came back with his tail between his legs?

What the hell for?

I'm sure Meat has made his money by now, so crawling back after having his demand refused sounds a little fishy to say the least :roll:

I'm sure we're all familiar of how stuborn Meat is, and I don't believe for a second that this happened like that.

Both Meat and Jack have been VERY positive about both the movie, and each other as people (personally and proffesionaly)

Recon that Mr Gass is feeling just a lil bit left out :roll:

RadioMaster
02 Dec 2006, 19:08
have to say the album is great (after some listening) especially Kickapoo and Belzeboss, but also most of the other songs. In some songs they used the melodies of old songs with new text, which kinda made me sad, also that it´s so SHORT (just about 30 min)

now I wanna see the movie (have to wait till Feb:()

meatloaf-unofficial
29 Dec 2006, 18:17
The Dvd will be officially released on 27th February and sold for $27.95 which is roughly, £15.00.
Here is a bit about it along with the website I found this info on::

Okay, it may not have burned up the box office but lack of success hasn't stopped Tenacious D before has it?

In a story from The Digital Bits, New Line will be releasing Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny on February 27.

Comedians/musicians Jack Black and Kyle Gass bring their infamous rock duo Tenacious D to the big screen in the comedy Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny. The film tells the story of how "The D" became the self-proclaimed greatest band on earth and was directed by Liam Lynch.

DVD Features:
- Audio commentary
- Deleted and extended scenes
- Featurettes
- Behind-the-scenes documentary
- Music video

Website for evidence: http://www.movieweb.com/dvd/news/80/16380.php

Just thought you would all like to know this!!!

RadioMaster
11 Jan 2007, 21:38
Just saw a trailer for the german version :angry:
First of all, it isnt even called pick of destiny, it´s called "kings of rock - tenacious d", and then: All the songs are synchronized!!:shock:
Why the hell would I go to a movie about a band if the band isnt even singing?:nuts:
Think I´d better just buy the DVD, then I´ll get the original songs like on the album.

meatloaf-unofficial
12 Jan 2007, 18:23
different from the one I have seen - it says : Tenacious D : The Pick Of Destiny.

How strange.

RadioMaster
12 Jan 2007, 19:23
the bad thing is:
The songs dont work the way they do in german, as they do in english. Cusswords, for example, the same words are much worse in german, more "technically" meant. Makes the whole movie to a softporn :lol:

People who are no fans of the D wont watch it :(

German Loafer
11 Feb 2007, 00:16
I've been in the cinema today to see the german version of the film, and I can assure you that there is no need to worry.
All the songs are as there were, no synchronation. There are subtitles to assure you understand the content, but the songs are as they were.
I enjoyed the film very much and had a very good afternoon.

AndyK
21 Feb 2007, 23:52
Article about the DVD release can be found here (http://www.cinemablend.com/dvdnews/Tenacious-D-Materials-Confirmed-2930.html), including details of the extras available on the disc ... no explicit mention of Meat in the list though

vrg
23 Feb 2007, 21:21
Let's hope that maybe the deleted scenes and the "Making of" documentary will have Meat featured.