PDA

View Full Version : 47. Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back

White of High
26 Jan 2003, 12:53
This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back (9)

It's a very very good progressive rock song! It's a rebbellion and request against the lawyers! I think this song is about his life. It reflects Meat's life in '80's years, it mirrors the bleak!

My score: 9

Hey Moderators? How could write the next line without making delete?
"And you can shove it up your [...]
Yes I know! Your part of body what you use in the toilet!

Average: 9.42+ (301.5/32)

Garrett
26 Jan 2003, 13:19
The song sounds dark and darker! The guitars are screaming like horny angels! It makes you pessimistic, lets you think, that life is a senseless black whole! Now, I know that my future is rotten and corroded! Should I do a suicide?? No! If I do that, I can't hear this fantastic song anymore!

10+/10

Tim
26 Jan 2003, 15:05
This is my song......can't say it in other words... I love this song!! The best i've ever heard, just is a reflection of how i feel!

So powerfull, such great lyrics! And the music.......that drum, guitar!! Live it is even beter. Specially with the drum intro.

The guitars are screaming like horny angels! It makes you pessimistic, let you think, that life is a senseless black whole

It is pessimistic but also optimistic, i think, when i listen to it, and i'm angry, i think, well see, someone has it much thougher than me! :)

A 10+/10 (but now it's even harder to rate: Out Of The Fring Pan and the Other of Bat 2, i mean, comon.....all the songs are at least a 10+ :lol: )

White of High
26 Jan 2003, 15:17
Yes, I agree that the live version is better than on the album. I think the best will be mix of the Live Around The World and Storytellers version! On the Storytellers the best is the intro, when all instrument are introducing. On the LATW the best is the duett with anybody (I don't know who is he).

The Flying Mouse
26 Jan 2003, 17:46
:twisted: GOD I LOVE THIS SONG :twisted:
I think it's the only song on Bat II better than Anything For Love.
I just can't listen to this song sitting down.Whenever I play Life Is A Lemon,I am compelled to stride up and down the living room furiously playing air guitar and singing along 8) .
To me,it's just not a depressing song,it's a happy song chalenging the world,that says you'll never beat me.To quote the live version from the Hell Can Wait c.d. "Give it you're best shot".
I've got seven different recordings of "Lemon",and I love them all for different parts.I havn't got a favorite,there all great :twisted: .
The music & the lyrics,Meat Loaf & Steinman,the feeling,all make this one of the top five songs in history easily.
10+/10 As long as Meat Loaf sings Life Is A Lemon,i'll never want my money back :mrgreen:

Michel
26 Jan 2003, 22:02
On live around the world is the best live version I have ever heard of this song. But we need the intro of storytellers.

About the original version, I like the question part (What about love?) Because you can year Jim singing the questions.

Amazing powerfull song, that Meat always needs to sing at his tour.

My score: 9 Live Around The World version: 10

White of High
13 Apr 2003, 22:17
I know the difference is a few between original and remix version but I'm interesting what do you think which is the better?

The Flying Mouse
13 Apr 2003, 22:27
:twisted: The original version is better than the remix.The ending is a lot better 8) .On the remix version I think the music carrying on takes the emphisis off the end creshendo.

Cloggy
14 Apr 2003, 18:58
10/10 deffo,

Live around the world is a 15/10.

jcmoorehead
19 Apr 2003, 23:51
I love this song its great. the lyrics are brilliant aswel. The Music aswell is great from intro to ending.

10/10

JacenSolo
21 Apr 2003, 16:45
Great tune, great lyrics (it's defective !!!) :D
My score: 9.5

Ben
15 May 2003, 23:33
great rock song, great lyrics great voice. the sort of song that you wanna listen to when your pis*ed off or had a really bad day! 9/10

heat
16 May 2003, 00:22
The original Kick-Ass song...i love it!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

9.5/10

Heat
xxx

batloaf
16 May 2003, 00:23
if "anything for love.." is what they said a grown up version of "Paradise" Than "life is a lemon" definitely is a grown up version of "Bat out of hell"

my score 9,5/10

original sin
20 May 2003, 23:16
The original Kick-[...] song...i love it!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
9.5/10
Heat
xxx

Well said Heat almost saves me from posting :twisted:

badger
21 May 2003, 01:01
The original version is better than the remix.The ending is a lot better.On the remix version I think the music carrying on takes the emphisis off the end creshendo.

Agree 100% It sounds like the start and end drums have juust been placed over the top, as opposed to a mix.

Definately one of the best songs every though :twisted:

dottie
22 May 2003, 21:26
Life is a Lemon - 10/10
One of hubbys favourites - loves that "you can stick it up your a..e"

Bren
22 May 2003, 21:57
great rock song, great lyrics great voice. the sort of song that you wanna listen to when your pis*ed off or had a really bad day! 9/10

Yep ! Ben, agree with you there,i f i've had a .bad day, am fedup,or stressed this is always the song i choose.Does wonders for improving your mood,a few listens of this and i'm much better.
I love this song!
9/10.....

Testify
30 May 2003, 12:37
9/10

badger
03 Jul 2003, 01:06
This has got to be the ultimate teenage (/adult ;) ) angst song. Whenever something in the world is really getting you down or, ahem, p*ssing you off (sorry!), crank this up and you immediately feel better!

100% great emotion, an all time classic!

An angry:

9/10

Louise
03 Jul 2003, 14:06
I really like the live version of this song.
9/10

evil nickname
04 Jul 2003, 15:30
really good song to release some negative energy on... 9/10

Terri
07 Jul 2003, 23:40
BRILLIANT!!!!!

10/10

Evan
09 Jul 2003, 01:45
Basically states that everything in life is defective, everything, no matter what, it all amounts to a state of deftiveness.
And as someone else stated, if you listen to the questions, you can hear Jimmy ask them.
Great song, everytime I hear it I always get the image of Meat coming on stage and banging those drums with the sticks of his.

10/10

Quigmo
17 Sep 2003, 07:54
Is there a better song to listen to when you need to vent after a bad day?
10/10

RSG
03 Nov 2003, 04:44
Is there a better song to listen to when you need to vent after a bad day?
10/10

No, no there isn't. A really angry powerful song. Explosive!
If I'm really angry, and I feel like I'm about to blow, I put this track on. Honestly, it really calms me down. Like most of the songs on BAT2, it is really a soothing album. I put it on and it has this magical feeling in like almost all of the tracks. Great song on a great record, written by a great songwriter, and SUNG, by a great actor\singer.

Meat made a good point. He says he considers himself an actor rather than a singer. I notice, in all of his songs, he puts himself into a character, of who would sing this song. You can feel the anger in his voice, and the music. Great song of its kind! I love the line...
And you can shove it up your @$$. Ya, its awesome. 100% Frustration, and it shows. 11\10.

The parts where everything is defective is my favourite part of the whole record, sometimes its hard to tell, but this song wouldn't get an 11 from me, if there were no "Defectives" It would be a 10, and I LOVE IT :!:

kaz
13 Nov 2003, 13:39
totally reflects how i feel half the time so its another fav 9/10

Chris
13 Nov 2003, 15:28
I love this song.

It is brilliant for getting rid of the end-of-th-working-day blues!!!

But has anyone else noticed how it is a song that you cannot play at normal volume? You can't listen to it quietly in the car or on the walkman. it has to be on the stereo as loud as possible with the air guitar out!!!!

10/10 (but only because 10 is the highest mark i am allowed to give!"!!!!!)

kaz
13 Nov 2003, 21:44
i can't say im in to the whole air guitar thing but i get what you mean it totally has to be played at full volume even if it does annoy the neighbours :oops:

Jayd
14 Nov 2003, 10:50
When I first listened to Bat 2 in 93, wasn't to sure about this song, but now I love it, one of the best songs by Meat, especially the Live version, 10/10. :D

RSG
16 Nov 2003, 07:16
I should mention that, the storytellers version i'm listening to is really good as well. I would give it a 9\10. (but this doesn't count towards the standings, (I don't think). I love the fact, Patti is in it.

ChrissybabezNI
21 Nov 2003, 00:26
Like loads of people have said, I love the shove it up your ar$* at the end. great song to listen to up loud

9/10

Loafy Meats
21 Nov 2003, 14:30
It's really not one of my favourites on the album, but it's the one that gets stuck in my head the most. I find myself singing it alot at work - annoys the hell out of everyone around me.... (non ML fans) I think 7

BadAttitude
22 Nov 2003, 03:50
I Love it, even my 23 year old daughter loves this one.
It's a great song to play when you have had a really bad day.

I give it a 9/10

Autumn (BadAttitude)

DIZZY DRUMMER
06 Dec 2003, 23:37
Badger wrote:

Whenever something in the world is really getting you down or, ahem, p*ssing you off (sorry!), crank this up and you immediately feel better!

Agree with this. I love this song, brilliant lyrics.

10/10

RSG
08 Dec 2003, 23:33
Full of Teen angst and power and screaming guitars and full of emotion.
I can tell somebody how incredible an amazing this song is. But how can I explain to them what the Title means?

Life Is A Lemon ( I Want My Money Back )

How can I explain what that means to somebody?

Thanks guys in advance. :)

PanicLord
09 Dec 2003, 19:45
I love this song. There is no way I can listen to this without singing along (usually losing my voice in the process :lol:).

I don't think the title really needs any more explaining RSG :) but for your benefit,

A "Lemon" is a broken / duff / rubbish product (in the USA I think), so the title says: Life is rubbish, give me my money back.

Great lyrics, nice to hear Jimmy in there, and such powerful emotion, my 2nd favourite song on the album (after ELTEE).

10/10

A Slice Of English
09 Dec 2003, 20:42
This is my 'Feeling down but angry song'

The other side of the coin is my 'Feeling sad, feeling blue' song which is "It Just Won't Quit"

Man, I can be depressing but these songs I can totally relate to on a roughly 50:50 basis 99% of the time.

9/10

evil nickname
09 Dec 2003, 20:53
Life Is A Lemon ( I Want My Money Back )

How can I explain what that means to somebody?

Lemons have a sour taste. Most people reflect upon that as a bad thing (rubbish I think - I like lemons), so you can see it as a metaphore for bad things. Basically, when someone says that 'Life is a lemon and I want my money back!', they mean that life is either a bore, not going the way it should be, full of lies, or whatever negativism you'd like to insert in this list - and they are so pissed about it, they want a refund... or something like that. I hope it makes sense... I thought it did, and then I typed it :)

rockfenris2005
14 Dec 2003, 10:22
I wish (if they'd release an anniversary cd of BAT 2) that they would use the REMIX from VERY BEST. I have two live versions. 1) my RUNNIN' FOR THE RED LIGHT single, and 2) the bonus cd that comes with the Australian CHSIB. I love how, in the live versions, it does that funky "rolling" trumpet sound, which sounds a cosmic quiz-show or something.... perhaps even distorted jazz. I give the song 10/10, because you can hear Jim singing on the "what about..." sections

RSG
23 Dec 2003, 22:06
Lemons have a sour taste. Most people reflect upon that as a bad thing (rubbish I think - I like lemons), so you can see it as a metaphore for bad things. Basically, when someone says that 'Life is a lemon and I want my money back!', they mean that life is either a bore, not going the way it should be, full of lies, or whatever negativism you'd like to insert in this list - and they are so pissed about it, they want a refund... or something like that. I hope it makes sense... I thought it did, and then I typed it :)

Makes sence to me, thank you. I personally thought that was what it meant. :twisted:

LostSoul
28 Dec 2003, 03:13
It ain't a rock song! it is a metal song (like BOOH) and I LOVE IT! since the first time I heard it!

Live it reaches a higher level!

9/10

ps: thanx Meat for the fake buck, I'll treasure it forever! 8)

Skeleton
24 Apr 2004, 21:45
Love this song. There is a little facts of life told in the lyrics. One of my favourite.

10/10

RadioMaster
07 Jul 2006, 22:51
Itīs true, everybody feels so sometimes, and itīs great to listen to it when it is so. You could just hate the whole world! :twisted: :))
And that song satisfies you in that feeling.
IMO it could have been ended after the what about... part maybe one more chorus or so.

I read somewhere that Meat just tried to swim in that Nirvana soundalike mainstream of 92/93, but I see a big difference.
Or could you imagine LIAL sung by (RIP) good old Kurt? :lmao:

Ross
13 Jul 2006, 14:46
Great rocker... but it's the only Jim/Meat song I do feel goes on too long. Sometimes I'm in the mood for it, and sometimes I just want it to hurry onto RnR Dreams.

8.5 (9 Live)

Paul191
13 Jul 2006, 14:47
I think this song rocks, especially live!

9/10

Caelan
13 Jul 2006, 19:15
I love this rock song..but it's one you don't need to hear to many times..
still great 7-10

Evil One
23 Jan 2007, 23:13

White of High
28 Jan 2007, 22:58
Average: 9.33 (336/36)

mikeloaf
26 Feb 2007, 02:12
I love this song. Life is a lemon and I want my money back. This was the ultimate finale at RAH. I can't explain why but this song represents my life. i give this 10/10.

JanT
26 Feb 2007, 16:14
Really like this one.

mark999
26 Feb 2007, 23:01
10/10 a powerful and emotional song. I'm surprised the track isn't worn out as it gets played on the many occasions our sone has been really ill.

SW31
26 Feb 2007, 23:04
9/10 not bad good live

duke knooby
14 Apr 2007, 20:37