PDA

View Full Version : For What It's Worth.....

Wario
10 Sep 2016, 20:34
the cover, unlike California Dreamin on Handbasket, does Nothing to differentiate between any other version out there.

Yes Meat sounds fine, and its a good cover but thats it. It has nothing to do with the record and it kinda feels like a WTF addition.

Why not something else of Jim's? is "We The Children" in the Bat Musical? What about "tonight is what it means to be young"?

They could've done so much better than a WTF song.

Is their something im missing? Why this song? Its so..... out of nowhere.

ashkent7
10 Sep 2016, 20:41
the cover, unlike California Dreamin on Handbasket, does Nothing to differentiate between any other version out there.

Yes Meat sounds fine, and its a good cover but thats it. It has nothing to do with the record and it kinda feels like a WTF addition.

Why not something else of Jim's? is "We The Children" in the Bat Musical? What about "tonight is what it means to be young"?

They could've done so much better than a WTF song.

Is their something im missing? Why this song? Its so..... out of nowhere.

I think We're Still the Children could well be linked to the Bat Musical - just because like Body i don't see otherwise why it wouldn't be here.

I never feel bonus tracks need any connection, and a bit like California Dreaming (why does Meat need to do a cover of any famous song that wasn't Jim's?) it is just probably because he wants to and has the chance to record a song he likes. If it needed a connection it could be to the political/world problems undertone of Godz and Skull. But i think it is more likely just Meat wanting to record it.

ThatWriterGuy
10 Sep 2016, 20:45
I'm on the fence, still, after all of this time, but I'm not that into Meat's version of California Dreaming. I mean, I get it, and I get what he wanted to do with the track, but I find the original so much more haunting and subdued. It's more of what ISN'T being communicated in the delivery but IS being said in the lyrics, which, for me at least, is the truth behind the writer's (his name has gone completely out of my mind) attempt to capture pure clinical depression. It's disturbingly accurate.

glockenspiel
10 Sep 2016, 21:52
Can someone stick it up on YouTube?

stretch37
10 Sep 2016, 21:54
I was surprised it was this song. Instantly recognized it as an easy listening song my dad used to play on guitar. Kind of an uninteresting song to cover IMO for Meat but he did well regardless...

AndrewG
10 Sep 2016, 22:18
Much more interesting than California Dreamin in my opinion and it's a free bonus so why would I complain?

anotherday
10 Sep 2016, 22:21
Much more interesting than California Dreamin in my opinion and it's a free bonus so why would I complain?

Because some people just want to watch the world burn, Andrew.

stretch37
10 Sep 2016, 22:28
Because some people just want to watch the world burn, Andrew.

Guys I didn't mean to upset you. I'm happy he covered the song, happy he put out the album, I'm happy he re-recorded Prize fight Lover. I think i'll get into the new version eventually but I'm just so damn used to the old version its so strange. That's art though. I'm going to try to get into it more and appreciate the changes, including the chopped up vocals etc, yes it's there for a reason obviously - it's Meat - his intentions are always clear.

What I don't get is any reason to be upset because someone likes or dislikes something.

I also don't like seeing Chris getting all attacked. Really there is no reason for personal attacks here. If you feel like someone's personal opinion is 'attacking you' then maybe it's time to take a breather.

Sue K
10 Sep 2016, 22:37
For What It's Worth was a major protest song of the 60s ... back when Meat was starting out in the biz ... Maybe it's nostalgic for him or maybe he feels the song still fits what's happening today with the unrest in the USA and around the World ... stop now ...what's that sound ...every body look what's going down ... Still holds, imo ... Still as fresh and meaningful as yesterday ...

As for California Dreaming, I think either here or in an interview Meat talked about the meaning behind the song, written by John Phillips. I always took the song at face value as not more than the author wanting to go to the warmth of California and away from dreary, cold, wintry New York City... but Meat said something along lines that the "she" in the song was the music business ... I don't remember exactly ... But Meat knew Lou Adler who produced The Mamas and Papas of whom John Phillips was a member, so I suppose he'd know better the meaning than I...

I still stand with the thing Meat won't do for love is take out the garbage... I heard and saw him say that with my own ears and eyes once... lol ... Oh, stop... I'm joking, though I did hear that ... when he was asked after his Grammy nomination ... and that was his reply ...