PDA

View Full Version : Europe! Are You Ready to Be Transformed?!

Julie in the rv mirror
05 May 2012, 05:41
We've got him all warmed up for you! ;) :D

onmHxHex0uU

So, I attended The Boss' Bon Voyage party the other night in Newark, and it was a blast! :D I got an awesome spot in the pit in front of Soozie (she's been moved to the other side of the stage to Nils' right), and I managed to snap a few decent pictures (and a bunch of blurry ones- that man will not stay still! lol) before the camera battery died. (Dummy me forgot to charge it. :doh:)

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg235/chitownjaney/Bruce%20%20in%20Newark/BruceNewark015.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg235/chitownjaney/Bruce%20%20in%20Newark/BruceNewark008.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg235/chitownjaney/Bruce%20%20in%20Newark/BruceNewark004.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg235/chitownjaney/Bruce%20%20in%20Newark/BruceNewark020.jpg

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg235/chitownjaney/Bruce%20%20in%20Newark/BruceNewark016.jpg

As always, an excellent show by Bruce and the band. :cool: The diehards were treated to a real "Holy sh*t" moment when he played "Bishop Danced", which had only been played once before ever, when Bruce was "a baby child" as he put it. It wasn't a total surprise for the pit crowd, because we had heard them soundchecking it when we were first let into the arena. Still, it was a whole lot of fun, with Charlie and Soozie featured prominently. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RL6PTdFIlg

The true highlight of the night, though, was played in response to a sign which said, "Play one for Levon", referring to Levon Helm of The Band, who just passed away recently. Bruce chose "The Weight", and it was an incredibly moving performance, with the audience singing along- louder than can be heard in the video. It was gorgeous- a real goosebump moment: :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMT5TvxdpqM

Well, that's it for me until September- it's going to be a long Summer.

Once again, have a ball all of you who are going to see Bruce (as if you won't). Take good care of him, okay? ;)

evil nickname
05 May 2012, 08:24
Sounds like a cool show.

Is it June 10th already? His Bossness only plays a festival in The Netherlands, so I chose to make a trip to Florence, Italy to see him there.

AndyK
05 May 2012, 11:01
Can. Not. Wait.

Michael Marxen
05 May 2012, 23:55
As much as I am looking forward to see the boss in Cologne May 27 - don`t get why he is rated as the second coming whereas Meat or Jim always had to fight for reputation.

stretch37
06 May 2012, 00:10
thanks for a great laugh and a fun few mins watching that! fack how does he pull off that energy and keep his vocal range :) he rocks !

Julie in the rv mirror
06 May 2012, 05:14
As much as I am looking forward to see the boss in Cologne May 27 - don`t get why he is rated as the second coming whereas Meat or Jim always had to fight for reputation.

As tempting as it may be, :twisted: I'm not going to get into a Bruce vs. Meat/ Jim contest here. In the end, does it really matter who has the better "reputation", as long as you enjoy the music and the shows?

Personally, I wish Bruce were less popular, because then I wouldn't have to fight like crazy for tickets, like I did again today. :mad:

thanks for a great laugh and a fun few mins watching that! fack how does he pull off that energy and keep his vocal range :) he rocks !

I know- I wish I had half his energy! :lol: That "Rosie" above was the second to last song in a three-hour show, without a break. He definitely feeds off the energy of the crowd. He loves the fans, and they love him. Not many artists are that trusting that they literally jump into the crowd. (He's been crowd-surfing again :lol: )

I don't know if you noticed him say, "Sing, Ma!" at one point- (right after the "Play some pool, skip some school" section) his mother was there, as she often is. She was sitting in the section right off the floor next to the stage- she's an adorable little lady. :-)

His voice has been very good so far this tour- definitely better than the end of the last one.

Edit to say I LOVE the two boys he pulled up on stage at the end. :D They are twin brothers who had been following the tour a bit, and I guess he got a kick out of them going crazy up front. lol

Julie in the rv mirror
06 May 2012, 07:07

Changed my mind- what the hell, I'll bite. I'm a little bored on a Saturday night. ;)

Truthfully, I would love to have a serious, rational discussion about this; not to make an argument over who is "better", but to address your actual question. By "reputation", I assume you mean within the music industry?

You say that you're looking forward to seeing Bruce, yet I get the feeling that you think his accolades are a bit misplaced- and it's cool if you feel that way. I'd also like to see an example of where he's "rated as the second coming". He has his "fans", but he certainly has plenty of detractors if you look a little.

IMO, this is also a bit of apples and oranges; Bruce is different than either Meat or Jim, in that Bruce both writes and performs all his own music, whereas Jim for the most part writes and produces, and Meat for the most part is a performer.

BTW- I realize this is going off the original topic, and I'm fine with that seeing as I started the thread, but if the mods feel differently, I have no issue with starting a separate thread.

Sarge
07 May 2012, 22:44
Thank you for the report and the pics, Julie. Too bad the camera stopped working. Nice version of The Weight. I didn't know that Levon Helm died in April. :(

[...] don`t get why he is rated as the second coming whereas Meat or Jim always had to fight for reputation.

You sound like Meat Loaf. :))

[...] Critics tend to want to dismiss me [...] if U2 had have done ‘Peace on Earth,’ it woulda been the second coming [...]

See Meat Loaf: Critics Like U2 Better Than Me: http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/News/en-us/meat-loaf-0603-2011.aspx

As tempting as it may be, :twisted: I'm not going to get into a Bruce vs. Meat/ Jim contest here. In the end, does it really matter who has the better "reputation", as long as you enjoy the music and the shows?

Exactly. It's about music, not about envy and people's egos. :roll: I already commented on the unfounded whining about Meat Loaf allegedly not getting enough recognition on other threads. I don't get why those complaints primarily arise when someone mentions Springsteen. :angry: What the hell has Bruce done to Meat Loaf???

AndyK
23 Jun 2012, 17:05
We've got him all warmed up for you! ;) :D

Not only did you have Bruce warmed up for us, he warmed a cold wet crowd from the offset last night in Manchester! It had rained pretty much all the time for the 48 hours prior to the show ... not great when you're in a tent!

The moment he came on the place was bouncing and it was clear that Bruce & co were in a great mood ... at one point Bruce claimed that he was "too happy" and boy did it show.

Highlights have to be Prove It All Night, with the '78 intro, Save My Love, The Promise and E Street Shuffle which with the addition of the horn section was awesome!

Bruce's strip on top of Roy's piano at the end of the show provided her hen night for her.

At around the 3hr 20 min mark it wasn't the longest show of the tour, but if the venue didn't have such a strict curfew then last night may have challenged the leader board.

So many memories of one incredible show, can barely walk and talk today, but it was worth it!

duke knooby
23 Jun 2012, 19:20
was there any banjo?

AndyK
23 Jun 2012, 20:12
was there any banjo?

Yes. Both Nils Lofgren and Steve van Zandt played electric banjo in a couple of songs.

duke knooby
23 Jun 2012, 20:14
:D

Julie in the rv mirror
23 Jun 2012, 20:59
Not only did you have Bruce warmed up for us, he warmed a cold wet crowd from the offset last night in Manchester! It had rained pretty much all the time for the 48 hours prior to the show ... not great when you're in a tent!

The moment he came on the place was bouncing and it was clear that Bruce & co were in a great mood ... at one point Bruce claimed that he was "too happy" and boy did it show.

Highlights have to be Prove It All Night, with the '78 intro, Save My Love, The Promise and E Street Shuffle which with the addition of the horn section was awesome!

Bruce's strip on top of Roy's piano at the end of the show provided her hen night for her.

At around the 3hr 20 min mark it wasn't the longest show of the tour, but if the venue didn't have such a strict curfew then last night may have challenged the leader board.

So many memories of one incredible show, can barely walk and talk today, but it was worth it!

I was thinking about you yesterday, Andy. It looks like you got an epic show! :D "Prove It" with the intro and solo piano "The Promise"- I'm sooo jealous! (and happy for you :D ) "The E Street Shuffle" has been the bomb this tour, too.

I've been at shows where he's in a great mood and looks like he doesn't want to go home- it's amazing! :lol:

Speaking of "Prove It"- who did the outro solo? Last time it was Steve. I haven't seen any YouTubes yet. I heard about the strip show, but haven't seen that, either. :lol: So awesome he was out there in the rain with you guys! :cool: :up:

AndyK
24 Jun 2012, 00:14
Nils did the outro and didn't let us down.

I'll admit to getting very emotional during the sax solo to Badlands ... looking up during the note perfect rendition and seeing Jake and not the Big Man just finished me off, and My City Of Ruins had a similar effect, the tribute during 10th Avenue reduced me yet again. How the loss of man person you've never met can have such an impact is incredible.

Have to hand it to Bruce though for the way in which he's dealt with Clarence's loss on stage, he's handled it perfectly and the small actions say more than words ever could.

Presume you heard about the pit queue fiasco? We ended up running the line and were devastated that all our effort was wasted because the venue were so inflexible in their attitudes, they're lucky no one got hurt in the stampede in those conditions.

Julie in the rv mirror
24 Jun 2012, 02:19
Nils did the outro and didn't let us down.

I'll admit to getting very emotional during the sax solo to Badlands ... looking up during the note perfect rendition and seeing Jake and not the Big Man just finished me off, and My City Of Ruins had a similar effect, the tribute during 10th Avenue reduced me yet again. How the loss of man person you've never met can have such an impact is incredible.

Have to hand it to Bruce though for the way in which he's dealt with Clarence's loss on stage, he's handled it perfectly and the small actions say more than words ever could.

Presume you heard about the pit queue fiasco? We ended up running the line and were devastated that all our effort was wasted because the venue were so inflexible in their attitudes, they're lucky no one got hurt in the stampede in those conditions.

Yeah, I did hear about the line fiasco- that's so awful that all your hard work was in vain. :( I also read that some of the venue security were total jerks to you guys. :?

Even here in the States with the lottery, it comes down to the venue staff on how well they deal with it, and sometimes they do a good job, other times not so much. I was at one show in Albany, NY, where they did pretty much the same thing by opening all the doors at the same time instead of letting people in in order. And that was in an arena, with only the "pit people" being let in- I can't imagine a stadium-sized crowd. Hershey Park in '09 was pretty bad, too; they tried to do a lottery, but there were way too many people for that, and in the end the crowd ended up pushing a gate open. :shock: I was afraid that time that someone might get hurt (thankfully, no one did). The Harley-Davidson anniversary show, on the other hand, was handled beautifully, so it just varies. No lottery that time, though.

Now, back to the show. :D I did see Nils' "Prove It" solo on YouTube, and it was awesome! Looks like he got a workout that night- you also got "Youngstown" into "Murder, Inc", which is a combo I've seen and love, especially the Bruce/ Steve guitar duel in "Murder". :cool: I love "Johnny 99" as well.

I agree that Bruce has dealt with Clarence's loss in a fitting way, as I knew he would. It is a little strange looking up and not seeing the Big Man there. :( I think C would be proud of Jake, though. ;)

For duke, I found a couple of banjo videos: ;)

"We Are Alive" from New Orleans Jazzfest (Steve):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFm8pWOoPRI

"Death to My Hometown" from Pinkpop (Nils):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4q42WQDb5o&feature=relmfu

"Shackled and Drawn" from Newark- Steve is playing banjo here, you can't see him much but you can hear him; I love the Bruce and Cindy duet at the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDuR6mPzfyQ&feature=related

duke knooby
24 Jun 2012, 02:54
For duke, I found a couple of banjo videos: ;)

"We Are Alive" from New Orleans Jazzfest (Steve):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFm8pWOoPRI

"Death to My Hometown" from Pinkpop (Nils):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4q42WQDb5o&feature=relmfu

"Shackled and Drawn" from Newark- Steve is playing banjo here, you can't see him much but you can hear him; I love the Bruce and Cindy duet at the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDuR6mPzfyQ&feature=related

cheers..

im hearing a mixture of country, irish folk and gospel in those songs lol

didnt really hear much banjo till the last song... but im pretty sure i heard accordian in the first one :D

are those songs from his last album??? they're kinda reminding me of hobo chic ;)

Julie in the rv mirror
24 Jun 2012, 03:37
I think you're hearing right. lol

Yep, those are all from the last album.

Me thinks you would have enjoyed the Sessions Band Tour: :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICqY2t7OGEI&feature=related

"Live in Dublin" is a great release.

Julie in the rv mirror
24 Jun 2012, 04:41
One more- I love, love, love this version of "Growin' Up" :D - even more than the original, which is my favorite song of Bruce's to begin with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xikQHgDssXw&feature=channel&list=UL

Oh, heck- here's the whole St. Luke's show broadcast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1AuE-LoRe4&feature=related

Wario
24 Jun 2012, 05:21
I absolutely hate springsteen for having so many live soundboards available :evil:

Julie in the rv mirror
24 Jun 2012, 08:22
I absolutely hate springsteen for having so many live soundboards available :evil:

:lol: It's not as if HE puts them out there.

If he released more live stuff officially, the fans wouldn't have to do it themselves. :angst: ;)

LisaT
24 Jun 2012, 15:10
I don't really know much about Bruce and his music, but you two are getting me interested! A 3 hour and 20 minute show - wow! How old is he?

AndyK
24 Jun 2012, 17:57
He's 62 going on 18.

3hr 20 is short by recent standards. 3hr 48 was his longest this tour so far and if we hadn't had such a strict curfew in Manchester it's possible he could have been near or exceeded that.

@Julie ... Youngstown/Murder Inc was Sunderland the night before. But we did get the "Stevie double header" of You can Look and 2 Hearts which was awesome.

LisaT
24 Jun 2012, 20:38
That's amazing! Wish I had that much energy NOW, never mind when I'm 62!

Julie in the rv mirror
24 Jun 2012, 21:01
He's 62 going on 18.

3hr 20 is short by recent standards. 3hr 48 was his longest this tour so far and if we hadn't had such a strict curfew in Manchester it's possible he could have been near or exceeded that.

@Julie ... Youngstown/Murder Inc was Sunderland the night before. But we did get the "Stevie double header" of You can Look and 2 Hearts which was awesome.

Wow, was it Sunderland? I guess I got them mixed up. lol I just love the screaming guitar songs- give me "Youngstown" or "Ghost of Tom Joad" and I'm a happy girl! :metal: ;)

I love when Bruce and Stevie sing. Stevie likes the stuff from "The Promise" and Disc 2 of "Tracks", as do I, so I hope he can influence Bruce to play some of those songs. :wink: My dream is that they would do Stevie's song "Until the Good is Gone"- that would be amazing! :pray:

The 3:48 in Madrid (it WAS Madrid, right? lol) wasn't just the longest this tour, it may be his longest show EVER, especially considering that back in the 80's they used to have an intermission, which he doesn't do anymore. I'm betting he's going to break the 4-hour mark before the tour's over, though. :-)

And didn't Curt Ramm fall down during "Twist and Shout"? That might be a reason Bruce stopped there as well, to make sure Curt was OK? It looked like he took a pretty big spill. :shock:

@LisaT- If you're interested, I can suggest some of Bruce's music for you to start with, depending on what other kinds of music you like. Or, I'd suggest "The Essential Bruce Springsteen" over "Greatest Hits".

Adje
24 Jun 2012, 22:17
I'm not a Bruce fan in any way but if you're 62 and able to Rock the place for 3,5 hrs and over, you earn some freaking respect! :cool:

AndyK
25 Jun 2012, 12:44
Wow, was it Sunderland? I guess I got them mixed up. lol I just love the screaming guitar songs- give me "Youngstown" or "Ghost of Tom Joad" and I'm a happy girl! :metal: ;)

Yeah I like those two as well. GoTJ especially is awesome

I love when Bruce and Stevie sing. Stevie likes the stuff from "The Promise" and Disc 2 of "Tracks", as do I, so I hope he can influence Bruce to play some of those songs. :wink: My dream is that they would do Stevie's song "Until the Good is Gone"- that would be amazing! :pray:
Well we did get Save My Love in Manchester , so there's hope!

The 3:48 in Madrid (it WAS Madrid, right? lol) wasn't just the longest this tour, it may be his longest show EVER, especially considering that back in the 80's they used to have an intermission, which he doesn't do anymore. I'm betting he's going to break the 4-hour mark before the tour's over, though. :-)

I'm sure that if it wasn't for the curfew then we'd have had a longer show in Manchester. Would only have taken a couple more songs ...

And didn't Curt Ramm fall down during "Twist and Shout"? That might be a reason Bruce stopped there as well, to make sure Curt was OK? It looked like he took a pretty big spill. :shock:

Fall down is an understatement, he took a major tumble and really was lucky to not hurt himself or break his trumpet (which sounds ruder than I meant it lol). From what Bruce said and what Curt mimed once he'd picked himself up it wasn't the first time its happened this tour.

evil nickname
25 Jun 2012, 14:25
I *really* need to finish my write-up of the Florence show. Despite the deluge (http://brucespringsteen.net/news/2012/bruce-rocks-florence-in-the-rain), it was epic.

duke knooby
25 Jun 2012, 23:50
I think you're hearing right. lol

Yep, those are all from the last album.

Me thinks you would have enjoyed the Sessions Band Tour: :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICqY2t7OGEI&feature=related

"Live in Dublin" is a great release.

i caught the end of that gig on tv one night, and really enjoyed it.. might have annoyed some people with a text about it lol

is live in dub a cd or dvd?

duke knooby
26 Jun 2012, 00:04
One more- I love, love, love this version of "Growin' Up" :D - even more than the original, which is my favorite song of Bruce's to begin with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xikQHgDssXw&feature=channel&list=UL

a drop of harmonica, a little banjo, and some pedal steel :-)

Julie in the rv mirror
26 Jun 2012, 00:56
i caught the end of that gig on tv one night, and really enjoyed it.. might have annoyed some people with a text about it lol

is live in dub a cd or dvd?

Both, actually. You can get either separately, or both as a set, which I think is the best deal. There actually is a "studio" album called, "We Shall Overcome", but it only contains the folk covers. I put "studio" in quotes because it was actually recorded at Bruce's house, with all the musicians there at the same time, as opposed to the typical studio setup these days. It's kind of cool when you hear him call out to somebody for a solo. :-)

On "Live in Dublin", on the other hand, you get both the folk tunes as well as re-workings of Bruce's own songs, some of which I think are just brilliant. I'll confess, I held off buying it for a long time (I didn't see that tour) because I was pretty sure I would hate it, and I was amazed at how much I loved it. :D

The band Bruce is out with right now is kind of a mixture of both the Sessions Band, and the E Street Band, and I think he's having a ball with it, because it opens up more setlist possibilities for him. The show he did in New Orleans at Jazz Fest, for example, they played several of the SSB tunes along with the E Street stuff. :cool:

a drop of harmonica, a little banjo, and some pedal steel :-)

The banjo player's name is Frank Bruno; I'm pretty sure he's Bruce's cousin. A couple of my other favorites are his reworkings of "Long Time Comin'" and "Highway Patrolman".

Julie in the rv mirror
26 Jun 2012, 01:10
Fall down is an understatement, he took a major tumble and really was lucky to not hurt himself or break his trumpet (which sounds ruder than I meant it lol). From what Bruce said and what Curt mimed once he'd picked himself up it wasn't the first time its happened this tour.

Bruce introduced him at the Isle of Wight as, "Curt Ramm and his flying trumpet". :lol: The poor guy- I'm glad he's OK.

I'm sure that if it wasn't for the curfew then we'd have had a longer show in Manchester. Would only have taken a couple more songs ...

A couple more songs, or one "Kitty's Back". :lol:

Yeah, that's what bugs me about my September shows at Wrigley Field- the curfew is usually pretty strict. :evil: Of course, Bruce has been known to break curfew before, and our Mayor is supposedly a fan, so maybe...;)

I *really* need to finish my write-up of the Florence show. Despite the deluge, it was epic.

Yes, please do- I'd love to read it! :D I saw video from that show- it looked like he was having a ball out there in the rain with you guys! :cool:

samurai7
26 Jun 2012, 15:12
The coverage on TV for the IOW festival was appalling. They kept us waiting all night (until AFTER Bruce had finished) before showing any of his set, and then it was only four songs: Wrecking Ball, Death to My Hometowm, Shackled and Drawn, and then it cut away and came back to Twist and Shout. And all of this was on a subscription only channel, yet over on free-to-air BBC3, which was covering Radio 1's Big Hackney weekend, all the sets were shown in full, more or less, and with MUCH better sound quality (when viewing in stereo)

evil nickname
28 Jun 2012, 23:52
Yes, please do- I'd love to read it! :D I saw video from that show- it looked like he was having a ball out there in the rain with you guys! :cool:

It took me nearly three weeks, but at last my write-up of my road trip to Florence to see The Boss (http://evilnickname.org/3997) is finished.

Julie in the rv mirror
29 Jun 2012, 00:38
It took me nearly three weeks, but at last my write-up of my road trip to Florence to see The Boss (http://evilnickname.org/3997) is finished.

Great blog post- thank you! :D It sounds like you had a great trip, and the show was fantastic! You got "Be True"- I'm jealous. ;) And, I love the way Bruce plays "Twist and Shout". :cool:

Shake it up, baby!

AndyK
30 Jun 2012, 00:33
The coverage on TV for the IOW festival was appalling. They kept us waiting all night (until AFTER Bruce had finished) before showing any of his set, and then it was only four songs: Wrecking Ball, Death to My Hometowm, Shackled and Drawn, and then it cut away and came back to Twist and Shout. And all of this was on a subscription only channel, yet over on free-to-air BBC3, which was covering Radio 1's Big Hackney weekend, all the sets were shown in full, more or less, and with MUCH better sound quality (when viewing in stereo)

You can blame Bruce's management for that, Jon Landau is notorious for not allowing live broadcasts, even delayed. He can't earn any money for himself (or Bruce) off them!

samurai7
30 Jun 2012, 03:57
You can blame Bruce's management for that, Jon Landau is notorious for not allowing live broadcasts, even delayed. He can't earn any money for himself (or Bruce) off them!

in that case, does he also manage Tom Petty and Pearl Jam as well? :lol:
the whole thing was a farce, especially for a subscription channel.

evil nickname
30 Jun 2012, 17:26
Great blog post- thank you! :D It sounds like you had a great trip, and the show was fantastic! You got "Be True"- I'm jealous. ;) And, I love the way Bruce plays "Twist and Shout". :cool:

Shake it up, baby!

Thank you! I did, and it was, despite the rain. Or, because of the rain. I don't know anymore.

Three years ago Bruce closed the show I saw in Dublin with Twist and Shout, and it was better that it had any right to be. But I just don't like the song, at all. Under dryer circumstances, I probably would have stayed until the very end, but at this time I was done.

Wario
30 Jun 2012, 19:22
the fact bruce fans get all this live stuff pisses me off.

Sarge
30 Jun 2012, 21:08

Is that Bruce's fault? :twisted:

Thanks to Julie and evil nickname for their detailed reviews. I'm a bit late and I haven't had time to finish a longer report so far, so here's just a short summary.

I was at Bruce's Berlin show a month ago. What can I say? The greatest concert I've seen so far. :D More than three hours full of incredible energy, cool music, great atmosphere and lots of fun. Bruce was smiling most of the time and obviously enjoying the show and the interaction with the fans. I almost got jealous of the girl who got the chance to "play" his Telecaster during Dancing In The Dark, being the guitar nut that I am. ;)

The concert was kicked off with a special song. You can watch a recording of it on his YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsjkqHT0O-o

I was surprised by the variety to be found in the music as well as well in Bruce's vocals. At times he even sounded like a 1960s soul singer and he often appeared more like a skilled, passionate preacher than just an "ordinary" rock singer.

Bruce had promised to "rock our pants off", now look what happened towards the end of the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icVOmkAxoyo :lawl:

When the concert was over, I had the feeling that I had to crawl out of the Olympic Stadium, every bone and muscle in my body was aching - but it was worth it. :D I wonder how Bruce and the E Street Band felt and how they manage to do such demanding shows.

I can't complain about the organization of the event, everything went smoothly. Although I arrived rather late, I didn't have any problems to snatch a good spot in the front of stage area. The fans were very considerate, in spite of their ecstasy (even whenever Bruce came over to shake hands and they all started moving towards him like a giant wave, chanting "Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce" :))).

Fantastic songs, fantastic musicians, fantastic audience! That night was the ultimate definition of rock and roll. Thank you, Bruce! :D

By the way, I noticed that Bruce's speech on economic problems (which he delivered in German) was even mentioned by foreign media.

Julie in the rv mirror
30 Jun 2012, 21:21

:lol: What are you referring to, Wario? Because we really don't get that many official releases, especially considering what is in the vault that fans would LOVE to have. :drool: There are lots of artists/bands who sell live recordings of their shows these days, and I don't see Bruce doing that any time soon.

As to the "unofficial" stuff, that essentially comes down to the fan community. There are still a few people who do it for profit, but there isn't much profit to be made anymore because of file sharing, so it's mostly fans who do it to share (which I appreciate). I guess it also helps that Bruce pretty much turns a blind eye to it as long as people aren't making money from it.

Julie in the rv mirror
30 Jun 2012, 22:34
Thanks for your report, Sarge! ;) Berlin looks like it was a fantastic show, as well! :D

The pants-less guy was too funny! :lawl: I have some fond memories of that sponge, too. :))

After watching that, I had to go back and watch "Spirit" from Frankfurt again- I wonder who was on the other end of the phone? :lol: (Love his giggle at 5:36 lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QclAXvvPgA&feature=relmfu

@Wario- I wanted to add, if you're talking about the recently broadcast live stuff, it's basically because Bruce has been playing festivals, and it's the festivals that are broadcasting the footage, although I'm sure the artists have to approve it. As for IOW, I read that Pearl Jam only had 3 songs broadcast as well- not sure about Tom Petty.

I did watch Bruce at Rock in Rio, and it was a little frustrating because it sounded like we were going to get the whole set, and all we got was 30 minutes. :? I guess I can't complain, since it was free, but still. I felt bad for the Europeans who stayed up to watch it, because it was on really late for them.

@Andy- It wouldn't surprise me if we get one of these festival shows as a DVD again- rumor is there will be a DVD released form this tour. I have a feeling the Apollo show will be released, but if it is, I hope it's not the only one, as that was pretty much the first show, so the band wasn't totally up to speed yet.

AndyK
01 Jul 2012, 01:35
If they do release a DVD of a show from this tour, then much as I'd like it to be a show I was at, which means Hyde Park again, I do hope it's not a festival show but the second night of double header, the second night rule pretty much always generates a better concert from the energy and the set list.

samurai7
01 Jul 2012, 01:55
... the second night rule pretty much always generates a better concert from the energy and the set list.

...and the fact that the audio engineers are by that point already familiar with the room's acoustic properties (or lack of!) and so the sound can often be better the second night. Plus everyone is not worn out from travelling :-)

Julie in the rv mirror
01 Jul 2012, 02:19
If they do release a DVD of a show from this tour, then much as I'd like it to be a show I was at, which means Hyde Park again, I do hope it's not a festival show but the second night of double header, the second night rule pretty much always generates a better concert from the energy and the set list.

The second night rule usually applies, but not always. ;) The trouble is, you never know when that "lighting strike" show is going to happen- St. Louis '08 (which was a "night 1", with Kansas City being night 2) being a perfect example. And, while I know they film every show, I doubt they're all filmed with the quality needed for a possible release, as that would be cost prohibitive. I've heard reports of extra equipment being used at several of the European shows so far, so maybe they're going to film a number of them and decide which one to release later. Although, a number of shows were reported to be professionally filmed during the BITUSA tour, and so far nothing has been released other than a few clips.

I agree in that I don't think another festival show would be ideal, and in keeping with Landau's assertion that they want to do "something different" with each release, you could argue they did that already with the Hyde Park DVD. I've got it- perhaps a show filmed in an iconic baseball park that happens to NOT be located in the Northeasten U.S? He's doing two nights...;) :lol:

Julie in the rv mirror
06 Jul 2012, 03:29
I'd surely take tonight's Paris show as a DVD! :shock: :cool: :D

(Time was 3:37)

1. The Ties that Bind
2. No Surrender
3. Two Hearts
4. Downbound Train
5. Candy's Room
6. Something In The Night
7. We Take Care of Our Own
8. Wrecking Ball
9. Death To My Hometown
10. My City of Ruins
11. Spirit In The Night
12. Incident on 57th Street
13. Because The Night
14. She's the One
15. Working on the Highway
16 I'm Goin' Down
17. Easy Money
18. Waitin' On a Sunny Day
19. Apollo Medley
20. For You (Solo Piano)
21. Racing In The Street
22. The Rising
23. Out In The Street
24. Land of Hope & Dreams

25. We Are Alive
26. Thunder Road
27. Born To Run
28. Glory Days
29. Seven Nights to Rock
30. Dancing In The Dark
31. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out

AndyK
06 Jul 2012, 16:33
Yeah I'd take that as a DVD too please. ..In fact there's a good chance that something will appear sonwewhere one day I'm sure ;-)

Julie in the rv mirror
06 Jul 2012, 19:43
There's a beautiful version of "Independence Day" from the July 4th show up now on his official site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SKzOHemAFPw

chairboys
07 Jul 2012, 19:47
31 songs! Gee whizz!

Julie in the rv mirror
07 Jul 2012, 20:06
31 songs! Gee whizz!

That's not at all unusual for Bruce. :-) His Dec. 31, 1980 show at Nassau Coliseum in NY was 38 songs and close to 4 hours. It was the longest show until this year's Madrid show, which lasted 3:48, but was "only" 32 songs.

Julie in the rv mirror
07 Jul 2012, 21:25
"Incident" from Paris night 2: :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUv63w24lKk

chairboys
07 Jul 2012, 21:56
That's not at all unusual for Bruce. :-) His Dec. 31, 1980 show at Nassau Coliseum in NY was 38 songs and close to 4 hours. It was the longest show until this year's Madrid show, which lasted 3:48, but was "only" 32 songs.

I admire endurance but there does come a cut off point. I remember Meat's two Hammersmith shows in the late 80's. As fantastic as they were, I was dead on my feet by the end of them!!!
They were touching the 3hr+ mark.