PDA

View Full Version : 78. Testify

White of High
03 Jul 2003, 17:01
This is the START OUT OF HELL & ARRIVE TO HEAVEN topic.
Let's Go to Rock 'n' Roll!!!!!!

Testify (7)

It's a good song. I like the happy songs and it's that. But I must say Meat's voice is rough here. You can hear good lines in the middle of the song:

And this is how it goes, she says….
“Go boy, can you hear them? Are you falling through the cracks in your eyes?”
And I got down on my knees

I get up from the ground in the middle of the morning
Up from the ground in the middle of the evening
Up from the ground and I´m falling back down
Up from the ground and I testify

I love this angel chorus and there is Meat's good voice. I hate the melody(?) of the first lines and later the same sounds...

My score: 7

Average: 9.46 (255.5/27)

mariella
03 Jul 2003, 17:22
Finally, finally, finally!!!

11/10

Another great day!!! :bunny:

Mariella

Testify
03 Jul 2003, 17:23
THIS SONG RULES!!

did i say that??

i give it tip top marks!! its wicked what else can i say?

11/10!!! :D

Taipan
03 Jul 2003, 20:23
incredible country rock/gospel thing going on! gotta be a 10/10 (in the context of this album)

badger
03 Jul 2003, 20:28
I superbly energetic song, it really kicks off the second half of the album. I was going to give it an eight, but I because of the effect it has on the album, and the sheer energy of it, it has to get a testerrific:

9/10

Danny L
03 Jul 2003, 20:48
Absolutely magnificent.

Hopw it becomes a single.

Nothing wrong with it at all.

WELL DONE FIRE BALL!!

100/10

Bren
03 Jul 2003, 20:55
Brilliant love this song,got nothing bad to say about it.Just love it.Agood to be alive kind of song, cheers you up if you're down.Just can't sit still to it :lol: 9.5/10

Mary... (mother)
03 Jul 2003, 22:47
I agree with Mariella and Testify.
However Danny L. has a point too. :D

11/10

Puritan
04 Jul 2003, 15:30
It is nice to have something a little different half way through the album - this track that is. I like it but unlike most of the previous posters of messages above I don't think it is the best track on the album.

Good but in the context of the rest of the album I'll give it 7 out of 10

Michel
04 Jul 2003, 19:21
It's a great song. I like the music and the melody.

My score: 8

Terri
04 Jul 2003, 19:36
BRILLIANT! says it all. :D

Let's hope it gets released as a single, it definitely would deserve the No.1 position in the singles chart.

11/10

Em
13 Jul 2003, 05:16
didn't like this when i first heard it but have woken up singing it every day this week even though i haven't played it. must listen again.

mariella
13 Jul 2003, 08:43
Hi Em,

THAT is excately what happened when I first listened to Testify. Now I am completely Hooked!

I Testify!

Mariella

Jayd
13 Jul 2003, 10:37
What a song.. WHAT A SONG, brilliant, pure class, one of Meat's best of all time, what more can I say. 1000/10. :D. ROCK ON FIREBALL....

heat
13 Jul 2003, 13:12
Hmmm...well...have to say this is not a fave of mine...

Although it is a good catchy number, i personally think it's wrong for Meat, and i don't think it would do well as a single - but thats just my opinion.
I do like it, but it doesn't grab me like some of the others on the album do.
Consequently, and i may stir up a hornets nest here, but ~~~~~~ it - i give it an average 5/10.

Tim
13 Jul 2003, 15:52
This is a very cool song!! Real Gospel Like, so i love it very much. Sounds great,, nice lyrics and music. Great job!!!

9/10

cerysmeatloaf
13 Jul 2003, 20:49
i love this song so much its one of my favs on the album

10/10

Em
14 Jul 2003, 18:37
well i've played this lots of times and i'm really beginning to like it......possibly more than anything else. I think it would make a good single.......( i must admit that, although i like it, i'm not terribly excited by CHSIB as a single,..... hope this doesn't offend anyone)

Testify isn't the best song for Meat's voice but i think it is one of the best songs on CHSIB.

8/10 and possibly increasing daily.

Vickip
14 Jul 2003, 19:05
well i've played this lots of times and i'm really beginning to like it......possibly more than anything else. I think it would make a good single.......( i must admit that, although i like it, i'm not terribly excited by CHSIB as a single,..... hope this doesn't offend anyone)

Testify isn't the best song for Meat's voice but i think it is one of the best songs on CHSIB.

8/10 and possibly increasing daily.

I think it's a great song ... and would make a fantastic single :))
Vicki

Wild_Honey
14 Jul 2003, 19:05
Love this one; I listen to it every day on my way to university. :wink:

evil nickname
19 Jul 2003, 21:06
One of the better tracks on the album, altough not my fave.

I'm glad that it isn't the title track, 'cause I think that the title track should be representative of the album as a whole. And I don't think that Testify is. It is a slight stroll from the standard "Meat sound'... and in my book that's good. An artist needs to enhance his sound, broaden his musical horizon and spectrum, and should most of all dare to do something different.

I'd say 8/10

dottie
20 Jul 2003, 17:21
Testify - Great opening sequence, guitars screaming right at you. Oh yes you can rock and roll to this
10/10

Quigmo
17 Sep 2003, 06:55
I've only heard this song twice, live.
The first was on the just having fun for the summer tour last year. I didn't know if it was an obscure cover or a new original but I knew I liked it. The when Meat came through again this summer ('03) there it was again!
Now I know what it is, and that it will be on CHSIB.
I rate it 9/10 with the option to revise once I hear the studio version.

RSG
14 Oct 2003, 03:52
This is a very rockin song! I sing to this song everytime I hear it, I just love this song. I'm glad its here...This song is screaming for a music video. This is an awesome song, quite possibly the best on Chapter 2, maybe even the whole album...hmmm? The lyrics are soothing, just like It Just Won't Quit. This is a very loud song, and is fun to play loud, it shakes the house, lol. :)

11\10 (and like most meat's hits, thats not enough!)

Crystal Eyes
14 Oct 2003, 18:04
Brilliant! Keep on playing. Great rock/gospel thing/

10/10

Frying Pan
14 Oct 2003, 20:08
It's grown on me this one very good rocking song and a bit of a change of direction for Meaty, can't wait to hear it live

8/10

Winston
14 Oct 2003, 23:59
Testify is one of the best songs on the album It's a kick ass song.
10/10

Quigmo
25 Oct 2003, 13:40
Refuring back to my previous post on this song I now think it was not part of the "having fun" set. I beleave I meant "Tear Me Down"
Be that as it may, the studio version of this song is awsome!
So different but so right.
11/10 (not given lightly)

A Slice Of English
10 Nov 2003, 20:51
Its so different to what Meat has done before but it immediately jumped out at me from the new album so much and was so different I literally crowed with pleasure at how wonderfully surprising it was to coe across such an awesome new style of song from Meat Loaf. He's pulled it off magnificently and there is something that tells me that what is there that Meat CAN'T do? That is talent at its greatest. What a song!

10/10

mariella
10 Nov 2003, 22:51
It's always a pleasure to read this topic...because I don't think the words 'I love this song' even come close to how I feel about Testify!

I recently had the priviledge of seeing it in concert in Trier and Oberhausen...this song is fantastic on the album...live it is an amazing experience, sounds so good. I expected A LOT...thought it was much better than expected!

Great day to you,

Mariella

Cpl Mickey
12 Nov 2003, 09:50
The more i hear Testify the more i love it 10/10

kaz
13 Nov 2003, 13:35
my favourtite on the album so it has to be 11/10

ChrissybabezNI
21 Nov 2003, 00:36
10/10

LostSoul
28 Dec 2003, 06:41
One of the better tracks on the album, altough not my fave.

I'm glad that it isn't the title track, 'cause I think that the title track should be representative of the album as a whole. And I don't think that Testify is.

I have to disagree with you 'cause "Testify" is really linked to "Forever Young" and the Last (!) World Tour... it's full of images and metaphors!!!!

I have to admit I didn't like it that much BUT once I heard it live... it was a kind of revelation for me! love it now!

"Testify" is to the CHSIB album what "You Took The Words..." is to the BOOH album... A SUNSHINE! 8)

9/10 on the album
11/10 live!

rockfenris2005
31 Dec 2003, 09:49
This whole album rulz. For once, Meat Loaf doesn't have a bad song (just like it should be - just like BAT 1 and BAT 2). TESTIFY is amazing. 9/10
(don't like those whining female singers...)

Michel
31 Dec 2003, 11:48
This whole album rulz. For once, Meat Loaf doesn't have a bad song (just like it should be - just like BAT 1 and BAT 2). TESTIFY is amazing. 9/10
(don't like those whining female singers...)

On this album are more bad songs than songs I like.

evil nickname
31 Dec 2003, 11:54
I have to disagree with you 'cause "Testify" is really linked to "Forever Young" and the Last (!) World Tour... it's full of images and metaphors!!!!

Well, that's all very well, but musically - it is not representative of the rest of the album, and that was what I was trying to get across :)

And Ryan, if you think that there is not a bad song on CHSIB, I suggest you pay more attention to YRIWW. Now that's not so good now, is it?

rockfenris2005
31 Dec 2003, 12:57
I was in a rush when I wrote this. Actually, YRIWW (I've always felt) should have been replaced with "Decadent Wish". I hate Diane Warren. If there is one songwriter I actually hate it's HER. She gives me the irrets. Everything else is beautiful except for YRIWW. The cut songs should've been added instead of this. And another thing, I always wished that CHSIB would've finished with FOREVER YOUNG - the bonus track is really distracting. It's as if they had added PROMISED LAND to the end of LOST BOYS AND GOLDEN GIRLS. Don't like it. Don't like it at all. In comparison to his other Steinmanless albums, this rocks to the heavens. All 11 songs (bar 1) are potential hits. When has Meat Loaf ever held THAT position - since Bat?? Even BAT 2 can't even boast this claim !!

Michel
31 Dec 2003, 13:10
All 11 songs are potential hits? I absolutely don't agree. Most of the songs I don't like.

rockfenris2005
31 Dec 2003, 13:52
Listen here. I'm extremely hard to impress, and it's a miracle I bought this album at all. When I heard it, I thought it was the most amazing thing. Brought back memories of my childhood - when Meat Loaf was supreme and on top of the world. Don't worry, BAT 3 is coming and he'll have his moment again. For now, YES. I think all songs (bar YRIWW) are potential hits !

Michel
31 Dec 2003, 14:52
If I wasn't a fan, I would only buy Testify, CHSIB and Forever Young.

rockfenris2005
31 Dec 2003, 15:57
Ok. What else is there??? Britney Spears??? Please DON'T say you like her. Then again, if you're the MICHEL I think you are (La Comtesse) then I needn't worry about that.

Michel
31 Dec 2003, 16:11
I only buy singles who are from Meat or are just good. So I don't buy much singles.

rockfenris2005
31 Dec 2003, 16:43
I've never bought a single in my life - but that's not what I'm talking about. What I'm saying is: they should be released as singles so people can hear the great songs (globally at one time). It shouldn't just be the fans.

Michel
31 Dec 2003, 16:59
But I think they are not great songs, only CHSIB, Testify and Forever Young are great songs.

Bart
02 Jan 2004, 15:49
For me this album is the best after the bats.
In fact, the concept is much better than of bat 2. On bat 2 there are a few songs which i think the production is rather awfull (Good girls/frying pan). Also the way they put Meats voice on some songs. Concept? there is no concept, just a bunch of songs. Okay, the 4 new songs on it DO have the same theme.
On CHSIB the concept is great, the voice is superb and the songs are terrific. And i prefer it now more than bat 2, but maybe thats because I have had bat 2 for 10 years now and CHSIB for 8 months.

This song is to me maybe 9/10. Great lyrics, great vocals, great melldy. I like to listen to Man of Steel, Intermezzo and testify. Its great to have this in this order. Three different styles of music on one record and the concept of these 3 songs is great. MOS: he loses everything, than the arising (intermezzo) and then he just got it back (Testify).

Just play these 3 songs in One on my funeral.

black dog
07 Feb 2004, 23:20
This is one of my favourite songs but then I like nearly all the songs on CHSIB. Not so sure about Do It though.

Does anyone know what the spoken words are at the begining of the track? I haven't been able to make them all out.

10/10

Puritan
08 Feb 2004, 13:01
I gave this song 7 out of 10 originally. I have now seen it performed live a few times - do I now think differently about the song? Well no actually! I am probably in a minority of one but I found the live extended intro rather tedious - however the actual song when Meat got to it was very good. Still give it 7 out of 10 as before though

RadioMaster
08 Jul 2006, 11:35
Interesting combination of rock and gospel,
Didnt thought that I would like something like that, but I do!
The MSO version with the boys choir is even better.

mszee
08 Jul 2006, 20:11
Love the song and actually wish there was more gospel in it...LOVE IT THOUGH!!!

9/10

Paul191
08 Jul 2006, 21:18
This is one of my all time favourite Meat songs!

10/10

sunneke
08 Jul 2006, 22:25
i love the live version!

Ross
13 Jul 2006, 14:54
This was a grower for me... never cared for it all that much to begin with.. now i love it.

8.5/10

Hypnobabe
13 Jul 2006, 15:34
I love this song, it's great for singing along to, especially in the convertible with the roof down on a lovely hot sunny day....

Evil One
23 Jan 2007, 23:11

White of High
29 Jan 2007, 01:07
Average: 9.29 (334.5/36)