PDA

View Full Version : Stunning new Springsteen box set!

RadioMaster
26 Aug 2010, 19:28
this just made my day: http://www.shorefire.com/index.php?a=pressrelease&o=4215

Columbia Records To Release Bruce Springsteen's 'The Promise: The Darkness On The Edge Of Town Story' Nov. 16

Box Set Includes 3CD/3DVD Package Of Remastered Album, Never-Before-Seen Studio & Live Footage, 80-Page Notebook, 21 Previously-Unreleased Songs, And An Extraordinary Documentary Film That Will Debut At The Toronto Film Festival Sept. 14 And On HBO Oct 7

Package Features Nearly Six Hours Of Footage, Including Classic 1978 Houston Performance, And More Than Two Hours Of Audio

Columbia To Simultaneously Release 'The Promise' Double CD Complete Songs From Darkness On The Edge Of Town's Lost Sessions

Columbia Records will release Bruce Springsteen's 'The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story' on Nov 16. The Deluxe Package comprises over six hours of film and more than two hours of audio across 3 CDs and 3 DVDs. The media contents are packaged within an 80-page notebook containing facsimiles from Springsteen's original notebooks from the recording sessions, which include alternate lyrics, song ideas, recording details, and personal notes in addition to a new essay by Springsteen and never-before-seen photographs. Containing a wealth of previously unreleased material, 'The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story' offers an unprecedented look into Springsteen's creative process during a defining moment in his career. 'The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story' will additionally be released as a 3CD/3 Blu Ray disc set.

The set will be available as 'The Promise,' an edition which consists of only the unheard complete songs on two CDs or four LPs, along with lyrics and the new essay by Springsteen.

The previously unheard song "Save My Love" and an excerpt from the documentary are now streaming at http://www.BruceSpringsteen.net.

The Deluxe Package includes 'Darkness on the Edge of Town,' digitally remastered for the first time.

CD 1: REMASTERED 'DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN'
1. Badlands
2. Adam Raised A Cain
3. Something In The Night
4. Candy’s Room
5. Racing In The Street
6. The Promised Land
7. Factory
8. Streets Of Fire
9. Prove It All Night
10. Darkness On The Edge Of Town

"'Darkness' was my 'samurai' record," Springsteen writes, "stripped to theframe and ready to rumble…But the music that got left behind was substantial." For the first time, fans will have access to two discs containing a total of 21 previously-unreleased songs from the 'Darkness' recording sessions, songs that, as Springsteen writes, "perhaps could have/should have been released after 'Born To Run' and before the collection of songs that 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' became."

Highlights include the extraordinary rock version of "Racing in the Street," the never-before-released original recordings of "Because the Night," "Fire," and "Rendezvous," the supreme pop opus "Someday (We'll Be Together)," the hilarious "Ain't Good Enough for You," the superb soul-based vocal performance on "The Brokenhearted," the utterly haunting "Breakaway," and the fully orchestrated masterpiece and title song "The Promise." All 21 songs have been mixed by Springsteen's long-time collaborator Bob Clearmountain. According to long-time manager/producer Jon Landau, "There isn't a weak card in this deck. 'The Promise' is simply a great listening experience."

CD 2: THE PROMISE (DISC 1)
1. Racing In The Street ('78)
2. Gotta Get That Feeling
3. Outside Looking In
4. Someday (We'll Be Together)
5. One Way Street
6. Because The Night
7. Wrong Side Of The Street
8. The Brokenhearted
9. Rendezvous
10. Candy's Boy

CD 3: THE PROMISE (DISC 2)
1. Save My Love
2. Ain't Good Enough For You
3. Fire
4. Spanish Eyes
5. It's A Shame
6. Come On (Let's Go Tonight)
7. Talk To Me
8. The Little Things (My Baby Does)
9. Breakaway
10. The Promise
11. City Of Night

The Deluxe Package also features "The Promise: The Making of 'Darkness on the Edge of Town,'" a documentary directed by Grammy- and Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Thom Zimny. The ninety-minute film combines never-before-seen footage of Springsteen and the E Street Band shot between 1976 and 1978—including home rehearsals and studio sessions—with new interviews with Springsteen, E Street Band members, manager Jon Landau, former-manager Mike Appel, and others closely involved in the making of the record. Advanced word on the documentary is so strong that it was invited to debut at the prestigious Toronto Film Festival on September 14 and will make its television debut on HBO on October 7.

DVD 1: "THE PROMISE: THE MAKING OF 'DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN'"

In addition, the set features more than four hours of live concert film from the Thrill Hill Vault, including the bootleg house cut (the footage that appeared on-screen at the concert) from a 1978 Houston show, and a 2009 performance of 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' in its entirety from Asbury Park. The special performance in Asbury Park was shot in HD without an audience and successfully recreates the stark atmosphere of the original album.

DVD 2: DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN (PARAMOUNT THEATER, ASBURY PARK, NJ,
2009)
1. Badlands
2. Adam Raised A Cain
3. Something In The Night
4. Candy's Room
5. Racing In The Street
6. The Promised Land
7. Factory
8. Streets Of Fire
9. Prove It All Night
10. Darkness On The Edge Of Town

THRILL HILL VAULT (1976-1978)
1. Save My Love (Holmdel, NJ 76)
2. Candy's Boy (Holmdel, NJ 76)
3. Something In The Night (Red Bank, NJ 76)
4. Don’t Look Back (NYC 78)
5. Ain't Good Enough For You (NYC 78)
6. The Promise (NYC 78)
7. Candy's Room Demo (NYC 78)
8. Badlands (Phoenix 78)
9. The Promised Land (Phoenix 78)
10. Prove It All Night (Phoenix 78)
11. Born To Run (Phoenix 78)
12. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) (Phoenix 78)

DVD 3: HOUSTON '78 BOOTLEG: HOUSE CUT
1. Badlands
2. Streets Of Fire
3. It’s Hard To Be A Saint In The City
4. Darkness On The Edge Of Town
5. Spirit In The Night
6. Independence Day
7. The Promised Land
8. Prove It All Night
9. Racing In The Street
10. Thunder Road
11. Jungleland
12. The Ties That Bind
13. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
14. The Fever
15. Fire
16. Candy's Room
17. Because The Night
18. Point Blank
19. She's The One
20. Backstreets
21. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
22. Born To Run
23. Detroit Medley
24. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
25. You Can't Sit Down
26. Quarter To Three

Sarge
26 Aug 2010, 19:36
WOW! I didn't expect it to be that opulent. I wonder how much you'll have to fork out for it.

RadioMaster
26 Aug 2010, 19:43
same thought here. As long as it's not more than 150€ it's well worth the money I'd say.

The Meat Loaf equivalent of this probably would be a box including

Dead Ringer remastered
Original 81 recordings of Meat doing all the Bad for Good songs, and the Bonnie Tyler/Steinman songs
An upscaled HD version of the Wembley 82 show
HD versions of several other live performances of DR songs
The Dead Ringer movie
and a HD recording of Meat doing all the DR songs in 09 livewithout audience
+an 80 page booklet

RadioMaster
26 Aug 2010, 19:52
considering the contents the price sounds quite reasonalbe!
http://www.sonymusicdigital.com/bruce-springsteen-the-promise/pages/5634215/

allrevvedup
26 Aug 2010, 19:55
http://www.sonymusicdigital.com/bruce-springsteen-the-promise/pages/5634215/

the promise has a lot of song titles with Street in it

Sarge
26 Aug 2010, 20:01

Obviously a better deal than the HCTB Super Deluxe Edition or whatever the thing is called. I'm especially looking forward to the notebook.

Evil One
26 Aug 2010, 20:12

Dead Ringer remastered
Original 81 recordings of Meat doing all the Bad for Good songs, and the Bonnie Tyler/Steinman songs
The Dead Ringer movie
+an 80 page booklet
Our equivalent was the poxy Rockpalast DVD with poor quality sound. :shrug:

LucyK!
26 Aug 2010, 20:37
Stunning isn't it RJ!! Andy's gonna see it in about 3 minutes, I'm sure you'll hear the response :lol:

RadioMaster
26 Aug 2010, 20:42
think I'll abuse my mod powers for once and let this have it's own thread :))

samurai7
26 Aug 2010, 20:44
I'm getting that too!

LucyK!
26 Aug 2010, 20:51
That's bloody cheap too for what you get! When we're paying £200 for a M&G, t-shirt and laminate...

A Slice Of English
26 Aug 2010, 20:57
*salivates*

RadioMaster
26 Aug 2010, 20:59
how much did we pay for the HCTB box again?

Sarge
26 Aug 2010, 21:01
Probably too much, considering what you got for it.

LucyK!
26 Aug 2010, 21:02
Don't think about that RJ lol

Springsteen's stuff is always such good value for money, and I don't think I've ever seen such attractive merchandise (if you can call it merchandise), it's always so well presented and thought out

Evil One
26 Aug 2010, 21:03
how much did we pay for the HCTB box again?
An extra £40 for a t-shirt, a shitty DVD, a key ring, a shiny box and no book.

RadioMaster
26 Aug 2010, 21:04
Absolutely! Springsteen fans have a much easier life than Meat Loaf fans lol

RadioMaster
26 Aug 2010, 21:04
Lucy, can you tape Andy's reaction when he reads this? lol

Evil One
26 Aug 2010, 21:06
I'm guessing it will be similar to "Woah, double rainbow!"

LucyK!
26 Aug 2010, 21:06
Don't worry, his eyes will still be bulging by the time we next see you! :lol:

AndyK
26 Aug 2010, 21:09
Me want!

It's only 2 years late, but possibly worth the wait! Certainly a better collection than the Born To Run Box Set which is awesome in itself.

The original recordings of Because The Night, Fire and Talk To Me will be worth it, let alone the rest of the loot! :))

Sarge
26 Aug 2010, 21:12
Everybody seems to be crazy about it, I better pre-order as early as possible. :bleh:

RadioMaster
26 Aug 2010, 21:13
might be a good idea....

Winston
26 Aug 2010, 21:15
Me want!

It's only 2 years late, but possibly worth the wait! Certainly a better collection than the Born To Run Box Set which is awesome in itself.

The original recordings of Because The Night, Fire and Talk To Me will be worth it, let alone the rest of the loot! :))

Agreed:D Darkness is by far a better album than BTR!

Sarge
26 Aug 2010, 21:22
Absolutely! Springsteen fans have a much easier life than Meat Loaf fans lol

Maybe Bruce has a better feeling for what the fans want, plus he's been with the same record company for decades, writes his own songs... Maybe that makes it easier to release really cool stuff.

AndyK
26 Aug 2010, 21:25
That plus he's got a very astute manager in Jon Landau.

Sarge
26 Aug 2010, 21:26
How could I forget that! :oops:

AndrewG
26 Aug 2010, 23:00
Amazing. Can't believe just how much is in the boxset. I'm especially looking forward to the Houston show. Will have a better look at the list of contents when I'm home.

RadioMaster
26 Aug 2010, 23:18
this might as well be the best music related single-album box set I've ever seen...

The Flying Mouse
26 Aug 2010, 23:22
:twisted: Makes me wish I were a Springsteen fan :shock:

AndrewG
27 Aug 2010, 01:40

Indeed 2008 would have been more fitting, but none the less this definitely seems worth the wait. Can't believe there is a full 78 show on Blu Ray along with the special Darkness run through show. And then there's the vault stuff and the documentary + more unreleased songs. Wow.
The Houston show must be one of the very few boots from 78 I've never heard, so that's a bonus for me too. What a great Brucey year for concert footage releases and unexpected gems. :))

Monstro
27 Aug 2010, 01:44
What a great Brucey year for concert footage releases and unexpected gems. :))

It's a Brucey bonus!!!!!!!

Someone had to say it lol

daveake
27 Aug 2010, 01:48
:lmao:

Julie in the rv mirror
27 Aug 2010, 07:47

Have a look at the concert footage, and you will be. ;) Prove It All Night alone ought to do it. I've never heard the Houston version, but it's supposed to be killer. :cool:

This box actually has a lot more than I expected, and the price is not bad at all, considering what you get. I'm with Sarge- I can't wait to see that notebook! :D

the promise has a lot of song titles with Street in it

Not too familiar with Bruce's catalog, are you? ;)

All I have to say is...

Brooooooooooooooooooooooooce!!!!!!!!!!!!

daveake
27 Aug 2010, 10:12
Excellent! Something to look forward to November for :-)

Wario
27 Aug 2010, 10:51
bat still hasn't gotten a box set like that. God.... Why must Springsteen Fans get the really good stuff

LucyK!
27 Aug 2010, 11:04

Listen to the intro to Backstreets and then Junglelands. I'd give it less than 3 minutes before you're converted.

Wario
27 Aug 2010, 11:35
Just imagine:

Roadrunner Records will release Meat Loaf's 'Bad For Good: Dead Ringers Out Of Hell Story' on Nov 16. The Deluxe Package comprises over six hours of film and more than two hours of audio across 3 CDs and 3 DVDs. The media contents are packaged within an 80-page notebook containing facsimiles from Jim Steinman's original notebooks from the recording sessions, which include alternate lyrics, song ideas, recording details, and personal notes in addition to a new essay by Springsteen and never-before-seen photographs. Containing a wealth of previously unreleased material, 'The Bat: The Dead Ringer Story' offers an unprecedented look into Meat and Jim's creative process during the defining moments in his careers. 'Bad For Good: Dead Ringers Out Of Hell Story' will additionally be released as a 3CD/3 Blu Ray disc set.

The set will be available as 'The Bat,' an edition which consists of only the unheard complete songs on two CDs or four LPs, along with lyrics and the new essay by Jim Steinman.

The previously unheard song "God has Left The Building" and an excerpt from the documentary are now streaming at http://www.meatloaf.net.

The Deluxe Package includes 'Dead Ringer,' digitally remastered for the first time.

CD 1: REMASTERED 'DEAD RINGER'
1. Peel Out
2. Im Gonna Love her For Both of Us
3. More Then You Deserve
4. Ill Kill You If You Dont Come Back
5. Read 'Em and Weep
6. Nocturnal Pleasure
7. Dead Ringer For Love
8. Everything is Permitted

For the first time, fans will have access to two discs containing a total of 12 previously-unreleased recordings from the 'Bat Out Of Hell' and even the 'Bad For Good' recording sessions with Meat Loaf before he left production.

CD 2: BAT OUT OF HELL
1. Bat Out Of Hell (Alternate Take)
2. You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth (Alternate Take)
3. Two out Of Three Aint Bad (Alternate Take)
4. All Revved Up (Unedited Version with full intro)
5. Paradise By the Dashboard Light (27 Minute original cut)

CD 3: BAD FOR GOOD
1. Bad For Good (Alternate Meat Loaf Vocal)
2. Stark Raving Love (Alternate Meat Loaf Vocal)
3. Out of the Frying Pan (Alternate Meat Loaf Vocal)
4. Left In The Dark (Alternate Meat Loaf Vocal)
5. Lost Boys and Golden Girls (Meat Loaf Vocal)
6. Dance In My Pants (Alternate Meat Loaf and Karla DeVito vocal)
7. Rock & Roll Dreams Come Through (Alternate Meat Loaf Vocal)

The Deluxe Package also features "The Return of Meat Loaf,'" a documentary that focusses on the planning and set up of the 1981 world tour to promoute Dead Ringer. It was aired only once on television, never making it to an official home video release until now.

DVD 1: "THE RETURN OF MEAT LOAF'"

In addition, this set features more than four hours of live concert film from the Meat Loaf vault, including the famous Hudson theater show with Jim Steinman, and a 1982 performance from Wembley Arena that has been digitally remastered.

DVD 2: DEAD RINGER LIVE (Wembley Arena, 1982)
1. Come In The Night
2. Bat Out Of Hell
3. You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth
4. Dead Ringer For Love
5. Read 'Em and Weep
6. All Revved Up With No place To Go
7. I'm Gonna Love Her For Both Of Us
8. The Promised Land
9. Two Out Of Three Aint Bad
10. Gimme Shelter

THE MEAT LOAF VAULT
1. Jumping the Gun(Brixton Academy, 1985)
2. I'm Gonna Love Her For Both Of Us (Brixton Academy, 1985)
3. Nowhere Fast (Brixton Academy, 1985)
4. Louie Louie / All Revved Up (Wembley Arena, 1987)
5. Burning Down (Wembley Arena, 1987)
6. Special Girl (Dussledorf, 1987)
7. Modern Girl (Sheffield, 1987)
8. The Rock Medley (AIDS Benifit, 1987)
9. Bad For Good (Birmingham, 1988 )
10. Dance In My Pants (Birmingham, 1988 )
11. Lost Boys and Golden Girls (Birmingham, 1988 )
12. Bat Out Of Hell (Birmingham, 1988 )

DVD 3: HUDSON THEATER '93
1. I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)
2. You Took the Words Right Out Of my Mouth
3. All Revved Up With No Place To Go
4. Rock & Roll Dreams Come Through
5. Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad
6. Out Of The Frying Pan (and Into The Fire)
7. Wasted Youth / Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money back
8. Objects In The Rear View Mirror
9. Heaven Can Wait
10. Bat Out Of Hell
11. Paradise By The Dashboard Light
12. Everything Louder Then Everything Else

AndrewG
27 Aug 2010, 12:02
Observations on the Wario post:
I seriously doubt the 27 minute version of Paradise exists, at least not a 27 minute version studio take. I think that is just a load of made up bollox really. LPs would rarely have sides running over 25 minutes anyway.
Also I'm not sure they would want to release any Meat BFG sessions as his voice sucked and that was the reason he left production, so it probably won't sound as good as Jim's/Rory's version and therefore what would be the point?
After the announcement of London 82 DVD live yet another early 80s live DVD release would seem an absolute waste of time to me. Even though I am a huge fan of Meat AND Springsteen there is not enough diversity in Meat's early shows in my opinion (mainly because of the lack of live songs) to warrant any further releases of that period.

I much rather have a more original approach to a Meat Loaf boxset, one that stems from his late 80s / 90s live material. The reason the Springsteen studio material boxsets approach works so well is because he has literally written hundreds and hundreds of songs (and recorded most of these at some point) unlike Mr Steinman. :roll:

AndyK
27 Aug 2010, 12:32
Is it November yet?

Pudding
27 Aug 2010, 12:51
I much rather have a more original approach to a Meat Loaf boxset, one that stems from his late 80s / 90s live material. The reason the Springsteen studio material boxsets approach works so well is because he has literally written hundreds and hundreds of songs (and recorded most of these at some point) unlike Mr Steinman. :roll:

I like how you start off wanting a more original approach by Meat Loaf to a boxset, then end up blaming Jim Steinman for not doing more songs :lmao: I believe Meat HAS recorded more non-Steinman songs than Steinman songs ;)

AndrewG
27 Aug 2010, 13:01
I like how you start off wanting a more original approach by Meat Loaf to a boxset, then end up blaming Jim Steinman for not doing more songs :lmao: I believe Meat HAS recorded more non-Steinman songs than Steinman songs ;)

What I meant there really was
a) I don't think Steinman's approach is like Springsteen's. Maybe he has written more songs but Steinman only seems to have gone into the studio when he has songs ready and then ~~~~~~ off asap. I doubt many alternate takes and recordings of unheard Steinman songs exist. Daveake (I believe it was him) pointed out recently he is terrible with deadlines making me wonder if he is really a prolific songwriter.
and
b) the lack of proper recordings of Steinman's more recent material. Demos everywhere but no proper sessions with 1 artist or group whoever that may be, thus completely unusable for release. I think between the Batman demos alone there must be enough material for 1 album at least. And if he does really have bat 3 songs why not to do them instead of focusing on more rehash of the same thing?

Such boxsets only work if you have something to put on them. Indeed Meat has recorded more without Steinman but I doubt anyone would be that bothered about B sides from the 80s or 90s if they are not Steinman penned. Therefore I think a live material boxset would be better.

Pudding
27 Aug 2010, 13:12
I doubt anyone would be that bothered about B sides from the 80s or 90s if they are not Steinman penned.

What about the 00's? ;)

AndrewG
27 Aug 2010, 13:16
What about the 00's? ;)

A boxset with Prize Fight Lover? Does make me wonder about song choices and if there are more songs like that indeed. Anyone leaving off that song and including all the others that are on HCTB shouldn't be in charge in song selection imo.

ianmar
27 Aug 2010, 13:30
If Carlsberg made box sets....

AndyK
27 Aug 2010, 13:40
If Carlsberg made box sets....

... they wouldn't contain half as much good stuff as this one will!

Evil One
27 Aug 2010, 13:41
But there would be beer.

AndyK
27 Aug 2010, 13:43
But it would be Carlsberg ...

Evil One
27 Aug 2010, 13:56
True, but bad lager is better than no lager at all.

RadioMaster
27 Aug 2010, 17:58
bat still hasn't gotten a box set like that. God.... Why must Springsteen Fans get the really good stuff

do it like me and get your ass converted! :))

A boxset with Prize Fight Lover? Does make me wonder about song choices and if there are more songs like that indeed. Anyone leaving off that song and including all the others that are on HCTB shouldn't be in charge in song selection imo.

makes you think why we paid shitloads of money of super duper deluxe box sets, yet got the most decent thing coming out of the whole project for free lol

I take it the Darkness box also contains about 7 songs not even the most hardcore Springsteen fans have ever heard of....

Devil's Son
27 Aug 2010, 20:27
thanks the spirits my ass is converted :devil: - no wait that's wrong i listen to him before i listen to meat .... mmmmhhh so it's an old love?
btw cool stuff and i noticed the shirts looking better :twisted:

Julie in the rv mirror
27 Aug 2010, 21:53
do it like me and get your ass converted! :))

*Whispers in Wario's ear* Psssst....bootlegs....;) :cool:

I take it the Darkness box also contains about 7 songs not even the most hardcore Springsteen fans have ever heard of....

Could be that, or it could be he is releasing them under their proper titles, rather than their "bootleg" titles.

Believe it or not, though, a few people are still crabbing about what he left off...:roll:

The reason the Springsteen studio material boxsets approach works so well is because he has literally written hundreds and hundreds of songs (and recorded most of these at some point) unlike Mr Steinman. :roll:

Yeah, didn't Jimmy Iovine say in that clip that they recorded something like 70 songs for Darkness? Bruce's engineer, Toby Scott, said recently that Bruce has at least 100-200 unreleased recorded songs.

Evil One
27 Aug 2010, 21:57
I suspect Meat would only have 10-20 if we're lucky.

RadioMaster
27 Aug 2010, 22:57
Believe it or not, though, a few people are still crabbing about what he left off...:roll:

lol i read that

AndrewG
27 Aug 2010, 23:19
Yeah, didn't Jimmy Iovine say in that clip that they recorded something like 70 songs for Darkness? Bruce's engineer, Toby Scott, said recently that Bruce has at least 100-200 unreleased recorded songs.

I seem to have around 18 "additional" Darkness outtakes, so in addition to what's on Tracks (5) and what's on the original album (10) and the different songs on the new Promise CD (almost 20 - some I already have indeed) the figure of songs indeed starts to head towards 70 but even then there's still enough left for another release potentially. :lol:

I believe Bruce had around the same number of songs recorded for The River.

Must say though these boots are sometimes quite bad quality. The version of The Brokenhearted I have sounds like it was re-recorded from the audio in the studio rather than that it is actually from the master tape. So it'd be good to have these in proper quality anyway. I'm guessing most people (including me) never thought to get more Darkness outtakes (in addition to the Tracks ones) in good quality. Really can't see how you can complain about what's potentially been left off. :roll:
Having said that! "The Way" is a stunning song in my opinion and I believe that's from the Darkness outtakes, but I could be wrong.
There are two versions known to have been recorded, one a bit faster than the other.

Slow version:
g5Sj3FeipH4

Faster version:
AMjKbMV76Ik

The Flying Mouse
27 Aug 2010, 23:26

:twisted: Yeah, they're really, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, getting screwed :bleh:

You gotta love the net.

AndrewG
27 Aug 2010, 23:36
Bruce also stated that he had a "full" rock album worth of songs ready just before the Tom Joad period. I wonder if we have seen the "majority" of those ideas surface so far, doubt it actually.

Julie in the rv mirror
27 Aug 2010, 23:53
Must say though these boots are sometimes quite bad quality. The version of The Brokenhearted I have sounds like it was re-recorded from the audio in the studio rather than that it is actually from the master tape. So it'd be good to have these in proper quality anyway. I'm guessing most people (including me) never thought to get more Darkness outtakes (in addition to the Tracks ones) in good quality. Really can't see how you can complain about what's potentially been left off. :roll:

Having said that! "The Way" is a stunning song in my opinion and I believe that's from the Darkness outtakes, but I could be wrong.
There are two versions known to have been recorded, one a bit faster than the other.

Bruce could throw open the vault door and say "Help yourself", and somebody would still find a reason to complain. :roll:

LOL, "The Way" is one of the songs that people are complaining that he left off, but personally, I think it's overrated (blasphemy, I know :lol:). I like the lyrics, but I think the music's kind of plodding, especially the slow version.

I'm most interested to hear that studio version of "The Promise"- I wonder if it will be the same one that's in circulation? My favorite versions of that song, however, are the live versions from '77- '78.

You're right though- regardless of what songs we get, it will be awesome to have good quality versions, since some boots come from very high generation tapes.

It will also be interesting to see what they have remixed/ re-recorded versus what is original from the time period. For instance, what do you think of the "new" song- "Save My Love"? It sounds like a current vocal to me. (I like it, btw :-) )

AndrewG
27 Aug 2010, 23:59
It will also be interesting to see what they have remixed/ re-recorded versus what is original from the time period. For instance, what do you think of the "new" song- "Save My Love"? It sounds like a current vocal to me. (I like it, btw :-) )

Indeed that definitely sounds like a newer than 78 vocal to me too!
Who knows, the whole song may have been recorded recently. Maybe one of those instances where what was recorded was simply not good enough/complete enough to release. I don't mind the finishing off at all.
I like it too! Thanks for pointing it out.

IYDld6WMMIE

Julie in the rv mirror
28 Aug 2010, 00:04
:twisted: Yeah, they're really, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, getting screwed :bleh:

You gotta love the net.

Oh, yeah, some don't like the price, either. :roll:

Bruce also stated that he had a "full" rock album worth of songs ready just before the Tom Joad period. I wonder if we have seen the "majority" of those ideas surface so far, doubt it actually.

I doubt it, as well.

Personally, I would looove to see "Electric Nebraska" :drool:, but I don't think it will ever happen. I'll settle for an official release of the Magic Tour "Reason to Believe"- that was stunning! :cool:

Pudding
28 Aug 2010, 00:11

I've never heard this song before and indeed it is stunning. Do you have any 'outtakes' that can be sent via email ;)

GDW
28 Aug 2010, 10:59
Is this the MLUKFC or BSUKFC? WTF.:roll Maybe you have typed in the wrong name??:??:

duke knooby
28 Aug 2010, 14:18
its great when people love other performers as well as meat :D

GDW
28 Aug 2010, 16:13
its great when people love other performers as well as meat :D

Yeah. You are right. I was just thinking along the Meat Loaf path.:-)

ianmar
28 Aug 2010, 19:09
There quite a lot of synergy between Springsteen and Meat. Each's album reviews have often included comparisons with the other. I think this is mainly Jim's songwriting but also much to do with Meats passionate delivery.

Funniest (but probably honest) comparison I read was many years ago when a hack from the old UK record paper Sounds wrote:

"While you feel Springsteen would be content to drive round the block with his girl you cant help feel that Meat Loaf would be groping her tits by the first corner."

RadioMaster
28 Aug 2010, 20:18
let's not forget that they also shared quite a number of musicians!

Wario
28 Aug 2010, 20:28
Have Meat and bruce ever met? Are they rivals? Are they freinds?

Does Bruce feel a little ripped off by Meat and Jim with bat?

Did he like the fact some E Street Band members are on BOOH?

Springsteen should cover All Revved Up. It just would be epic.

They should do a duet version of PFL at a charity event. Just imagine.... :lol:

RadioMaster
28 Aug 2010, 20:34
the only connection I can think of is that Steinman said in several interviews that Springsteen was one of his bigger influences for BOOH, which is pretty obvious anyway lol

Wario
28 Aug 2010, 20:35
the only connection I can think of is that Steinman said in several interviews that Springsteen was one of his bigger influences for BOOH, which is pretty obvious anyway lol

And Clarence Clemons was borrowed for All Revved Up...

RadioMaster
28 Aug 2010, 20:41
he was? never knew that

Wario
28 Aug 2010, 20:43
he was? never knew that

never mind, Its Edgar Walker.

i could have sworn an e street member or two were used...

AndrewG
28 Aug 2010, 20:44
According to the Bat credits it was Edgar Winter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Winter).

AndrewG
28 Aug 2010, 20:45
i could have sworn an e street member or two were used...
Yes Roy Bittan (piano) and Max Weinberg (drums) were on Bat.

Julie in the rv mirror
28 Aug 2010, 23:29
Funniest (but probably honest) comparison I read was many years ago when a hack from the old UK record paper Sounds wrote:

"While you feel Springsteen would be content to drive round the block with his girl you cant help feel that Meat Loaf would be groping her tits by the first corner."

The guy clearly didn't know much about Bruce. :mrgreen:

Have Meat and bruce ever met? Are they rivals? Are they freinds?

Does Bruce feel a little ripped off by Meat and Jim with bat?

I'm curious about those questions myself. I don't know if they've ever met, but I doubt they're friends. Bruce has never said anything publicly regarding BOOH, AFAIK.

Did he like the fact some E Street Band members are on BOOH?

Liked it or not (I doubt he cared), I don't see how he could have prevented it (or would have wanted to). Besides, BOOH was recorded during a time period when Bruce was prevented by a lawsuit from recording anything.

Most of the band members have done other work; I know Roy has done lots of session work on other artists' albums, such as Dire Straits, Bob Seger, Stevie Nicks, to name a few. Ever hear Dire Straits' album "Making Movies"? "Romeo and Juliet" sounds a lot like "Jungleland".

Since we've been posting videos, I thought I'd put this one in so the "unconverted" (and maybe the "converted" as well ;) ) might get a taste of what we're in for with this release. The Houston video should be better quality than this, and in color. Plus, this video is from September- Bruce's guitar solo only evolved and got longer as the tour went on; Houston is from December 1978. (Roy's in here too, so it's sort of ML- related ;) )

DWos8TS9yaE

Wario
28 Aug 2010, 23:35
DWos8TS9yaE

Corrected Video.

TERRIFIC

RadioMaster
28 Aug 2010, 23:39
I'm curious about that rock version of Racing in the Street (among tons of other things lol)

Julie in the rv mirror
28 Aug 2010, 23:53
Corrected Video.

TERRIFIC

Thanks! ;)

AndrewG
29 Aug 2010, 00:02
I'm curious about that rock version of Racing in the Street (among tons of other things lol)

Well it's gotta sound better than Roger Taylor's version at least. :))

RdNiTbMVmb4

Julie in the rv mirror
29 Aug 2010, 00:16

Could be this one:

ZRfRm_z8174

AndrewG
29 Aug 2010, 00:32
Wow. Good find. :))

Julie in the rv mirror
29 Aug 2010, 01:28
Well it's gotta sound better than Roger Taylor's version at least. :))

That's not too bad, actually; too fast, though. It never would have fit the tone of Darkness done that way, though. Which, I imagine is why Bruce did it the way he did. That song came to it's full glory on the live versions, though, and Roy's outro just keeps getting better and better.

Wow. Good find.

Thanks, but I can't take all the credit. I'd heard it before, and fortunately, someone put it up on Youtube. ;)

Sarge
29 Aug 2010, 11:03
Could be this one [...]

Awesome! I love the harmonica. :cool:

Julie in the rv mirror
30 Aug 2010, 01:52
Awesome! I love the harmonica. :cool:

I like this version, but I'm still partial to the slow one (although I've heard a "slow" version with harmonica as well- can't remember which show right now). I got to see it live in '08, and it was just sublime...

Anyway, here's a great one for the Roy Bittan fans (such as myself ;) ): (note Bruce's face toward the end as well)

Nv5vKY8XLtI

AndrewG
30 Aug 2010, 02:12
That is definitely the best version I've ever heard and so lucky I was there....

I remember hearing some great versions from the Born in the USA tour on bootlegs (quite rarely played it in those days) and those were amazing too as Bruce repeated the final chorus again during the instrumental bit towards the end. And then of course there are the Darkness tour ones where the piano played straight into Thunder Road, spine tingling stuff...

Pudding
30 Aug 2010, 02:42
(note Bruce's face toward the end as well)

I must have missed something special, because I've watched it 3 times now and don't see anything un-Brucelike :shrug:

Julie in the rv mirror
30 Aug 2010, 02:58
That is definitely the best version I've ever heard and so lucky I was there....

I remember hearing some great versions from the Born in the USA tour on bootlegs (quite rarely played it in those days) and those were amazing too as Bruce repeated the final chorus again during the instrumental bit towards the end. And then of course there are the Darkness tour ones where the piano played straight into Thunder Road, spine tingling stuff...

You are very lucky you were there! :-) I, of course, think the version I heard live (Harley Anniversary) is the best (and it is a great one- one of the longest outros), but we're splitting hairs here. ;)

But yeah, those Darkness boots- that whole stretch of Prove It-> Racing-> Thunder Road-> Jungleland- just awesome! :cool: In fact, I was just listening to Passaic... the Indian story... :cool:

I also like the Once Upon a Time in the West intro Roy did before Badlands on the River Tour. I wish he would have revived it for the Dream tour, since he was opening with Badlands anyway; picture this- you hear Roy's piano on a dark stage as the rest of the band comes out, then you hear Bruce shout "ONE, TWO!" and they crash into Badlands as the lights come up.... That would have been amazing! And then Outlaw Pete to follow. :cool:

I think he did it once, somewhere, but it was Nils on accordian- not quite the same. :lol:

Julie in the rv mirror
30 Aug 2010, 03:04
I must have missed something special, because I've watched it 3 times now and don't see anything un-Brucelike :shrug:

Not un-Brucelike- he just seemed very...moved. To me, he seems very "into" the song. I got the same impression when I saw it live, as well.

AndrewG
30 Aug 2010, 03:04
I must have a listen to some of the River shows again, it's been a while! :-) I seemed to have a lot more listening time on my hands when I was a student! :lol:

Sarge
30 Aug 2010, 03:32
Anyway, here's a great one for the Roy Bittan fans

I like Bruce's growly voice on this version and I agree, the piano is superb!

Racing In The Street has always been one of my favorite tracks on Darkness On The Edge Of Town. I remember how I listened to it the first time. It was a friend's house, we had found the LP while browsing his mom's record collection. I wanted to have that album! Unfortunately it was not available, the only Bruce record that was released over here was Born In The U.S.A. :cry: It was one of the first albums on my wish list that I bought when I finally got the chance. Now I can even purchase it as a part of a promising looking box. :D

Wario
30 Aug 2010, 03:41
If i were a Bruce fan and not a Meat one could you imagine my channel on youtube? :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Sarge
30 Aug 2010, 03:44
I assume you'd gather and upload that much stuff, it would probably cause YouTube to crash! :twisted:

Wario
30 Aug 2010, 03:46
I assume you'd gather and upload that much stuff, it would probably cause YouTube to crash! :twisted:

You love my youtube. don't deny your feelings

Should I do a Mime of "Night"?? im half tempted to...

Sarge
30 Aug 2010, 03:51
You love my youtube. don't deny your feelings

Have I ever said something negative about your YT channel?

Should I do a Mime of "Night"?? im half tempted to...

Yeah, and please post it on a Bruce forum. Curious to see the reactions of die-hard Springsteen fans. :))

Wario
30 Aug 2010, 03:53
Have I ever said something negative about your YT channel?

Nope was being sarcastic :cool:

Yeah, and please post it on a Bruce forum. Curious to see the reactions of die-hard Springsteen fans. :))

Ill post it on here and link to the forum topic very soon.

Sarge
30 Aug 2010, 03:55
What have I done? :yikes:

Wario, it was a joke, please leave the poor Springsteen fans alone!

Wario
30 Aug 2010, 04:01
What have I done? :yikes:

Wario, it was a joke, please leave the poor Springsteen fans alone!

Dont worry. StonePony Messages will love it :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Muhahahahahaaa

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r149/Deadringerforlove/WarioSmiley.gif

Sarge
30 Aug 2010, 04:14
I'm seriously considering to start a "Find a new hobby for WarioLoaf" campaign. Obviously living among Meat Loaf bootlegs, Star Wars movies and SuperMario stuff leads to the obsession to gain world domination by creating and spreading miming videos all over the internet.

renegadeangel
30 Aug 2010, 04:18
same thought here. As long as it's not more than 150€ it's well worth the money I'd say.

Dead Ringer remastered
The Dead Ringer movie
+an 80 page booklet

None of that even exists. Meat was so bad vocally there was nothing they could salvage. The DEADRINGER movie is missing and or locked away or whatever.
Thats the reason you'll never see anything like that from Meat as there is very little Steinman stuff that isn't already out there from the early days.

AndrewG
30 Aug 2010, 04:19
I've listened to Meat Loaf bootlegs, own all the Star Wars movie, have played Mario Galaxy 2 about an hour every few days over the last few months and strangely enough I've not found myself tempted to mime any Meat Loaf or Bruce songs. :sherlock:

Julie in the rv mirror
30 Aug 2010, 04:20
I like Bruce's growly voice on this version and I agree, the piano is superb!

Racing In The Street has always been one of my favorite tracks on Darkness On The Edge Of Town. I remember how I listened to it the first time. It was a friend's house, we had found the LP while browsing his mom's record collection. I wanted to have that album! Unfortunately it was not available, the only Bruce record that was released over here was Born In The U.S.A. :cry: It was one of the first albums on my wish list that I bought when I finally got the chance. Now I can even purchase it as a part of a promising looking box. :D

His voice was pretty rough that show, but I kind of like it in spots too. ;)

Darkness is my second favorite Bruce album; actually, it's kind of 1a behind The Wild and Innocent. I for one cannot wait for this box! :D

I'm curious- how did your friend's mom get the album?

I must have a listen to some of the River shows again, it's been a while! I seemed to have a lot more listening time on my hands when I was a student!

Nassau Coliseum 12/29/80- by some estimations, the greatest recorded version of Incident, ever!

If i were a Bruce fan and not a Meat one could you imagine my channel on youtube?

It's never too late, Padawan. ;)

Besides, how are you not a Springsteen fan already? Don't you live in PA? That's pretty much Ground Zero for Bruce fandom.

Dont worry. StonePony Messages will love it

Muhahahahahaaa

SPL? I hear that place is a ghost town since the mods cleaned house a while back. Prior to that, they probably would have hung you out to dry! :twisted:

AndrewG
30 Aug 2010, 04:21
None of that even exists. Meat was so bad vocally there was nothing they could salvage. The DEADRINGER movie is missing and or locked away or whatever.
Thats the reason you'll never see anything like that from Meat as there is very little Steinman stuff that isn't already out there from the early days.

That's what I've been thinking too hence they are only releasing stuff that we have already seen; the Rockpalest thing and now the 81 Wembley show again. :roll:

AndrewG
30 Aug 2010, 04:22
Nassau Coliseum 12/29/80- by some estimations, the greatest recorded version of Incident, ever!
Don't have that one but have the new year's eve show. I'll look for it.

Found it

kDQm3EqBd1k

AndrewG
30 Aug 2010, 04:31
Holy Moly....

Julie in the rv mirror
30 Aug 2010, 04:36
Don't have that one but have the new year's eve show. I'll look for it.

That whole stand is pretty much considered "epic".

Found it

Yep, that's it! :D The piano's slightly out of tune because supposedly it got cold sitting in the truck all night. Love it, though! :cool:

Wario
30 Aug 2010, 04:37
video complete. will post shortly

Julie in the rv mirror
30 Aug 2010, 04:43
Holy Moly....

Yeah...went straight into Rosalita, too, just like the album. :cool:

AndrewG
30 Aug 2010, 04:48
video complete. will post shortly

Gosh you are not exactly one to take your time with these things are you?
In the time you have been recording that I've watched that Incident video and written about 8 lines of lyrics, and that's about it. :weirdo:

AndrewG
30 Aug 2010, 04:57
The piano's slightly out of tune because supposedly it got cold sitting in the truck all night. Love it, though! :cool:

Didn't notice that about the piano so much.

Sarge
30 Aug 2010, 05:04
I'm curious- how did your friend's mom get the album?

I don't know where or whom she got it from exactly. There were a few possibilities to get such a record, for example:

1) A relative or friend from West Germany brought it across the border when they visited you.
2) You traveled to West Germany and bought it there. But since you were not allowed to go to the western part of Germany without permission (you had to apply for it and you needed a "good" reason, e.g. urgent family matters), that was a rather rare chance for such purchases.
3) You had a nice grandma who was willing to get you a record. Senior citizens were allowed to make short trips to West Germany without stating any reasons. (I guess the authorities thought that it wouldn't cause harm if they decided not to return. :twisted:)
4) There was a black market for records - you had to fork out a lot of money for an album.
5) Intershops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intershop) usually had records on the shelves that were not released in East Germany. As far as I know, some of these records were manufactured in East Germany (with permission of the western record labels) but were in most cases identical to their western counterparts, i.e. same content, cover, labels etc. These shops did not accept domestic currency, so it was also quite difficult to get a record from there. I remember that I often went into an Intershop, saw all those cool records right in front of my nose, knowing that it was impossible to buy one. :angry:

Julie in the rv mirror
30 Aug 2010, 06:16
I don't know where or whom she got it from exactly. There were a few possibilities to get such a record, for example:...

My goodness, I had no idea it was so difficult! It makes me realize how much we take for granted.

AndrewG
30 Aug 2010, 13:08
My goodness, I had no idea it was so difficult! It makes me realize how much we take for granted.

Springsteen helped to fix that (http://blogs.reuters.com/fanfare/2008/07/16/did-springsteen-help-bring-down-berlin-wall/)! (well so some claim at least) :))

I do remember watching that show on bootleg DVD and it was quite special going by the footage. Perhaps it should be another one that should be released eventually because of its significance.

9_hQit-3Vh0

My personal favourite from that show:
ve1BUGpatDk

The Flying Mouse
30 Aug 2010, 18:52
:twisted: The Berlin Wall fell due to the reaction to a leaked advance promo copy of

http://media.mlxxfc.net/Looking_for_freedom.jpg

:yep:

daveake
30 Aug 2010, 18:57
Note to self: Never again click on FM's hidden content button ...

Pudding
31 Aug 2010, 00:13
Thanks to someone pointing me in the right direction, I'm now listening to more Bruce Springsteen classics than I thought there were.

AndyK
31 Aug 2010, 01:31
Don't forget to name the trakcs you think are classics ... since there's so many, it's hard to remember to play them all on any sort of rotation, so it's great to discover them all over again ;-)

Pudding
31 Aug 2010, 02:01
Don't forget to name the trakcs you think are classics ...

I haven't gone through all of them yet, but so far my top playlist is as follows, with others closely following:

Badlands (instrumental)
Child Bride
Drive All Night
Little Girl
My Fathers House
Racing In The Street
The Way
Thunder Road acoustic

Julie in the rv mirror
31 Aug 2010, 03:43
Springsteen helped to fix that (http://blogs.reuters.com/fanfare/2008/07/16/did-springsteen-help-bring-down-berlin-wall/)! (well so some claim at least) :))

I do remember watching that show on bootleg DVD and it was quite special going by the footage. Perhaps it should be another one that should be released eventually because of its significance.

Nice article and videos- thanks for posting those! :D I'd forgotten that he had done that concert. :cool:

Danny
31 Aug 2010, 09:26
:twisted: The Berlin Wall fell due to the reaction to a leaked advance promo copy of

http://media.mlxxfc.net/Looking_for_freedom.jpg

:yep:

Don´t say this to people from East Germany ;)

AndyK
31 Aug 2010, 15:34
I haven't gone through all of them yet, but so far my top playlist is as follows, with others closely following:

Badlands (instrumental)
Child Bride
Drive All Night
Little Girl
My Fathers House
Racing In The Street
The Way
Thunder Road acoustic

Good choices! :))

Racing is a stunner no matter what version you hear. Child Bride is a case in point in terms of tracks that I forget to listen to. Will be digging that one out tonight!

Sarge
31 Aug 2010, 18:51
I still can't believe what you get with this box set. According to what I've seen and heard so far it will include:

- the remastered Darkness album
- a huge number of previously unreleased songs
- a 90 min documentary
- a live performance of the entire album
- archive footage of various 1970s shows
- the complete Houston '78 concert
- notebook :drool: and probably some merch

:D:cool::up::)):cheer::yay::cheers:

It was difficult but it somehow made you appreciate music much more. (And you could brag when you had gotten another rare record, LOL.) There was a radio station that played full albums that you could not purchase in East Germany. As far as I remember that program ran several days a week in the evenings. They'd play side A from album X and side A from album Y. A week later they'd play the B sides. That way you could record entire albums from radio to tape. Unfortunately cassette recorders and tapes were f*cking expensive - they were among the most popular things you used to request from your western relatives. :))

Was that the whole show? I've only seen incomplete versions so far. As far I remember, East German TV put their commentaries on the songs, so you got incomplete performances of Badlands and other songs. I've seen complete versions of some of the affected songs on YouTube, too, so I assume there must be a recording of the whole show without the commentary. (???)

I'd forgotten that he had done that concert. :cool:

I heard Bruce caused East Germany's biggest traffic jam ever. Unfortunately I was too young go to that concert but I was lucky enough to find a music magazine that included a poster with pics from that show.

:twisted: The Berlin Wall fell due to the reaction to a leaked advance promo copy of [...]

He did that on TV over here recently - as a duet! And don't ask in what kind of show... :shock:

Julie in the rv mirror
01 Sep 2010, 02:44
I still can't believe what you get with this box set. According to what I've seen and heard so far it will include:

- the remastered Darkness album
- a huge number of previously unreleased songs
- a 90 min documentary
- a live performance of the entire album
- archive footage of various 1970s shows
- the complete Houston '78 concert
- notebook :drool: and probably some merch

:D:cool::up::)):cheer::yay::cheers:

The Phoenix '78 clips are from the same show that the official "Rosalita" video was taken from- namely this one:

(Where was security at this show, btw? :shock: Poor Bruce! :( ;) :lol: )

CYHGh6lmSbo

AndrewG
01 Sep 2010, 02:49
The Phoenix '78 clips are from the same show that the official "Rosalita" video was taken from- namely this one:

(Where was security at this show, btw? :shock: Poor Bruce! :( ;) :lol: )

I know that was mental.
The weird thing about these shows is that I listened to that one before I ever saw the footage that comes on the Live VHS/DVD and there is no way to tell that crazy shit went on on stage from the audio. It still sounds great despite the mental girls trying to pull him off the stage. :))

Sarge
01 Sep 2010, 02:55
The Phoenix '78 clips are from the same show that the official "Rosalita" video was taken from- namely this one

ARGH! Another video YouTube is blocking. :wall:

duke knooby
01 Sep 2010, 02:56
ARGH! Another video YouTube is blocking. :wall:

must be great to be a german music fan these days :-P

Sarge
01 Sep 2010, 03:05
must be great to be a german music fan these days :-P

Managed to circumvent the stupid barrier and can watch the video now.

@ Julie: "Poor Bruce"? Why? I guess there are worse "problems" a guy can encounter. :))

Julie in the rv mirror
01 Sep 2010, 04:05
@ Julie: "Poor Bruce"? Why? I guess there are worse "problems" a guy can encounter. :))

Because, I'm sure he hated every second of it! :mrgreen: ;)

Julie in the rv mirror
01 Sep 2010, 05:40
Because, I'm sure he hated every second of it! :mrgreen: ;)

Wanted to add- I can't find the quote, but Bruce had said something about how that girl had her tongue so far down his throat that he almost choked...the poor thing! :-P ;)

RadioMaster
01 Sep 2010, 06:43
could have been worse....could have been this person

5CSe1Z3abIE

Julie in the rv mirror
16 Sep 2010, 07:43
An update from Rolling Stone on the box:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/203888

RadioMaster
16 Sep 2010, 09:14
I love the Springsteen fans' reaction to this box set. They're bitching that the dvd with the darkness live performance without audience will be boring as shit and not worth watching lol

daveake
16 Sep 2010, 10:27
People are bitching on an internet fan forum? How strange ....

:lol:

AndrewG
16 Sep 2010, 13:09
I love the Springsteen fans' reaction to this box set. They're bitching that the dvd with the darkness live performance without audience will be boring as shit and not worth watching lol

That's so stupid as no-one has seen any footage yet.

If they had taken the footage from one of the many album run throughs from one of the shows of last year people would whine that it is not the complete show. :shrug:

AndyK
16 Sep 2010, 13:12
Springsteen fans are worse than Meat fans when it comes to complaining about things. They're never happy, even classic releases such as the Live In New York DVD from the reunion tour or the Live in Barcelona DVD from The Rising Tour get picked apart and complained about by.

RadioMaster
16 Sep 2010, 20:25
one of the best comments about the Darnkess-sans-audience-performance I read was something like "why would I want to watch a just bunch of people playing instruments and singing?"

AndyK
16 Sep 2010, 21:16
:lol: classic.

Where was that?

Julie in the rv mirror
17 Sep 2010, 03:04

Then they don't need to watch it. :roll:

That's so stupid as no-one has seen any footage yet.

Yes and no; the documentary actually premiered the other night at the Toronto International Film Festival. From the reports of a few people who have seen it, the doc contained at least one clip from the Asbury shoot, and those people said the performance sounded excellent.

If they had taken the footage from one of the many album run throughs from one of the shows of last year people would whine that it is not the complete show. :shrug:

Eh, maybe; I think the issue was that they only did Darkness twice, (If you don't count the Basie performance from '08 ) one of those shows being at Giants Stadium. Stadium shows, as we know, tend to draw more casual fans who are probably going to be talking, drunk, or otherwise detract from the "vibe" of the Darkness album. (I recall people who were at Giants saying the album didn't "work" too well that night) That, or they just weren't happy with the other performances for whatever reason. Plus, they could easily do retakes if needed. When I first heard they did this, it seemed strange, but now it makes sense. I'm actually looking forward to seeing it. :cool:

Springsteen fans are worse than Meat fans when it comes to complaining about things. They're never happy, even classic releases such as the Live In New York DVD from the reunion tour or the Live in Barcelona DVD from The Rising Tour get picked apart and complained about by.

To quote someone from the board I'm on, "No official Bruce release goes unpunished". :roll:

Here's an article on the doc:

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117943566.html?categoryid=31&cs=1

Bruce interview on the red carpet:

http://www.thestar.com/videozone/861288

Julie in the rv mirror
23 Sep 2010, 00:11
Was that the whole show? I've only seen incomplete versions so far. As far I remember, East German TV put their commentaries on the songs, so you got incomplete performances of Badlands and other songs. I've seen complete versions of some of the affected songs on YouTube, too, so I assume there must be a recording of the whole show without the commentary. (???)

You can watch it here: (Thanks, Gina! :D )

http://www.ginagiambone.com/page74.html

I'm not sure if this is the entire show, but there are complete versions of the songs, and no commentary.

Sarge
23 Sep 2010, 01:22
WOW! Thank you! I didn't know that he played Boom Boom. That seems to be the original broadcast from East German TV, judging by the DDR2 logo that temporarily appears in the upper left corner, the end credits and the missing speech. The shortened version with the commentary was probably broadcasted a few months later, as far as I know.

I'm not sure if this is the entire show

I heard that they allegedly played for about three hours, and I saw a setlist somewhere that seemed to include more songs, so it's possible that it's not the entire concert.

Julie in the rv mirror
23 Sep 2010, 02:23
I heard that they allegedly played for about three hours, and I saw a setlist somewhere that seemed to include more songs, so it's possible that it's not the entire concert.

Here's the whole (?) setlist as listed on brucebase...it seems they did play several more songs:

http://www.brucebase.org.uk/gig1988.htm#61

19/07/88 - EAST GERMANY - BERLIN, RADRENNBAHN WEISSENSEE

BADLANDS / OUT IN THE STREET / BOOM BOOM / ADAM RAISED A CAIN / ALL THAT HEAVEN WILL ALLOW / THE RIVER / COVER ME / BRILLIANT DISGUISE / THE PROMISED LAND / SPARE PARTS / WAR / BORN IN THE USA / CHIMES OF FREEDOM / PARADISE BY THE C / SHE'S THE ONE / YOU CAN LOOK ... / I'M A COWARD / I'M ON FIRE / DOWNBOUND TRAIN / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / DANCING IN THE DARK / LIGHT OF DAY / BORN TO RUN / HUNGRY HEART / GLORY DAYS / CAN'T HELP FALLING IN LOVE / BOBBY JEAN / CADILLAC RANCH / 10TH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT / SWEET SOUL MUSIC / TWIST AND SHOUT - HAVING A PARTY

Julie in the rv mirror
30 Sep 2010, 07:30
Here's a sneak preview of the documentary; there is a tiny snippet of the Asbury performance (without the audience)- looks cool. :cool:

e1HFVeO0q78

This link may work if the YouTube is blocked for you:

http://www.hbo.com/#/video/video.html/eNpVy7EKwjAQgGFCIKDvYUWcWqpbBqmLi-gKR3PVg0tO46W2o2+ui4Pz--3Lzt7WwuGQgGel-gJXPENEK-axGSmg-EonSXFSZxbGuPd2JHx5SgGnapBc4in4IH2JmBQy4bP6zr6um7bd7auBWDF7YF41x38GReX OMHvNBZ35AOnDMeg=

AndrewG
30 Sep 2010, 09:26
Not available in the UK. That's just great. Death to YouTube region nonsense.

Sarge
30 Sep 2010, 19:53
I believe in this case you have to blame HBO (according to the message I get). Could watch it on the HBO website, thanks Julie. Interesting, I'm really looking forward to the box set.

Julie in the rv mirror
01 Oct 2010, 03:11
Not available in the UK. That's just great. Death to YouTube region nonsense.

Did you try the HBO link in my post, Andrew?

Julie in the rv mirror
05 Oct 2010, 21:20
For Kindle users, free download of Bruce's essay on Darkness and The Promise here:

http://www.amazon.com/Thoughts-Promise-Darkness-Edge-ebook/dp/B0045EOJ90/ref=amb_link_354167622_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=ilm&pf_rd_r=0Y091HS60WBZ9GGJT9NR&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1276304642&pf_rd_i=133141011

If you don't have a Kindle, you can download a free app to get Kindle on your PC.

AndyK
08 Oct 2010, 12:36
The Promise, the documentary that comes in the box set that premiered in Toronto last month aired on HBO in the US last night. From what I've read this morning on some of the Springsteen boards it seems that it meets the high expectations of the fans. Can't wait to see this!

Julie in the rv mirror
09 Oct 2010, 04:25
I saw it last night- it had some great moments. Over the closing credits, they played the performance of Darkness (the song) from the Paramount last year. It looked great- I can't wait to see the whole thing! :-)

Julie in the rv mirror
12 Oct 2010, 02:57
You can hear an audio rip of Darkness(the song) from the Paramount performance here: (scroll to bottom of page)

http://www.visiblevoice.net/new-posts/bruce-springsteen-darkness-on-the-edge-of-town-2009.html

AndrewG
12 Oct 2010, 03:21
Wow that sounds great. I actually think it sounds great and interesting without an audience for a change.

Julie in the rv mirror
12 Oct 2010, 03:30
Wow that sounds great. I actually think it sounds great and interesting without an audience for a change.

Yeah, no "Whoah oh, oh ohhhhhhh!" chant on Badlands, or folks chatting through Racing... should be good! ;)

Spaeaking of Racing, I wonder if they'll do it with the extended outro, or stick to the album version? Same with the Prove It solo?

Wario
12 Oct 2010, 03:54
:roll:

Id kill to see the run through of the 3 Bats tour without audience that was on the Paradise documentary.

Bruce fans are greedy greedy greedy and ungrateful

Im glad my mime caused death!

Sarge
12 Oct 2010, 04:10
Thank you for the link, Julie. That's what I like about Bruce: He lives his songs. Love the "toooooooown" scream and the piano.

I see a serious case of hubris dawning...

Julie in the rv mirror
12 Oct 2010, 04:27
:roll:

Id kill to see the run through of the 3 Bats tour without audience that was on the Paradise documentary.

Bruce fans are greedy greedy greedy and ungrateful

Greedy and ungrateful how? Most of us can't wait to see this! :D And some have been waiting over 30 years!

A few peeps are just never satisfied, that's all. :roll:

Thank you for the link, Julie. That's what I like about Bruce: He lives his songs. Love the "toooooooown" scream and the piano.

You're welcome! :-) I thought the scream was cool, too. Good thing it's the last song- I'd imagine he blew his voice out on that one!

Julie in the rv mirror
17 Oct 2010, 03:40
Here's another song preview- "The Brokenhearted":

I really like this one! :D

ciFho5CPHK8

Sarge
17 Oct 2010, 04:06
I can picture Bruce singing in a tuxedo in a 1950s bar after hearing this. ;) Like the parts starting at about 2:35 and 4:15.

Julie in the rv mirror
17 Oct 2010, 04:21
I can picture Bruce singing in a tuxedo in a 1950s bar after hearing this. ;) Like the parts starting at about 2:35 and 4:15.

Do you mean in a bad lounge singer kind of way, or in a Dean Martin cool kind of way? :lol:

I think he sounds like Elvis...in fact, I can picture Elvis in his black leather '68 Comeback Special outfit singing this. ;)

That, or I see a couple of ballroom dancers (scantily-clad female, of course) doing some smoking-hot Tango or something... um, is it getting hot in here? :lol:

Monstro
17 Oct 2010, 04:58
Here's another song preview- "The Brokenhearted":

I really like this one! :D

ciFho5CPHK8

Ok, stop it, any more tracks like this and I'll be a convert, love this!!

Sarge
17 Oct 2010, 05:37
Do you mean in a bad lounge singer kind of way, or in a Dean Martin cool kind of way?

I like the Dean Martin idea. :cool:

Julie in the rv mirror
17 Oct 2010, 19:04
Ok, stop it, any more tracks like this and I'll be a convert, love this!!

Mmmmkay, how about "Hearts of Stone"? This one is from the same time period. The sound is not the greatest on here (you need to turn it up a bit), but it's the only one I could find on Youtube. This has been officially released on the "Tracks" boxset- you can buy the single song at Amazon or iTunes. The official release has a lovely sax solo! :-)

http://www.amazon.com/Hearts-Of-Stone/dp/B00137X948/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1287330730&sr=8-2

_7l1ZAOtNLs

Julie in the rv mirror
18 Oct 2010, 02:21
So, I just got back from a nice long drive (beautiful day for it here), during which I spent some quality time with the 12/15/78 Winterland show, ;) and it occurred to me that the song that I should have posted was this one. This can be found on Tracks as well, but here's the Winterland version of "The Fever":

c4zTNSTqofs

Another song in the same vein- "Back in Your Arms"; this version is from Cleveland last year. (Also on Tracks, but IMO this version blows that one out of the water :-) ) It's rare song to get live, too- lucky, lucky peeps who were there:

TcZ-U4Q6yiY

RadioMaster
18 Oct 2010, 09:09
Fever is a brilliant track!

Julie in the rv mirror
21 Oct 2010, 07:08
Here's a couple more previews. The first one is the "rock" version of Racing in the Street. It's very similar to the version I posted earlier in the thread, with a few additions. Now that I've played it a few times, I really love it: :-)

_YhcdqD7MjE

Here's the studio version of Because the Night. This one sounded a little strange to me at first because all we've had are live versions, and this one is different, first because it's slower than when played live (although so are other songs- Prove It All Night, for example), and because Bruce sings Patti Smith's lyrics here, instead of his own:

http://www.springsteenlyrics.com/files/BECAUSE%20THE%20NIGHT%20%5Bofficial%20studio%20take%5D.mp3

I think I prefer the live version, with Winterland being my favorite.

AndrewG
21 Oct 2010, 09:38
Well I'm glad Mr. Springsteen changed Racing radically. Apart from the intro which is interesting it's a bit too chaotic for my liking.

The violin solo did remind me of the 1996 live version, which is great on just guitar. Check it out:

vYAAdOqh82Q

AndyK
21 Oct 2010, 11:26
Apparently Bruce is in the UK next week promoting The Promise documentary (and no doubt the rest of the box set).

With Nils, Southside Johnny and The Gaslight Anthem all touring in the UK at the moment what are the chances of the following words being uttered on stage somewhere ... "Ladies and Gentlemen we have a special guest with us tonight ..."

LucyK!
21 Oct 2010, 12:19
Have you just put that thought in my head?! :shock:

It'd be amazing to see him with Gaslight again (though I wouldn't say no to seeing him with Southside tomorrow :lol: )

AndyK
21 Oct 2010, 12:34
Since we're not seeing either in London it's unlikely we'll see him.

LucyK!
21 Oct 2010, 12:43
Exactly so I'll just be disappointed on the night and gutted when I find out the London people got Bruce too!!!! :panic:

Julie in the rv mirror
21 Oct 2010, 18:23
The violin solo did remind me of the 1996 live version, which is great on just guitar. Check it out:

Wow, that is a nice version- I hadn't heard that one before. Thanks for posting it! :-)

Julie in the rv mirror
01 Nov 2010, 06:00
There's a sneak preview (15 tracks) streaming on NPR right now- sounds fantastic! :D

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130858856

http://media.npr.org/assets/music/firstlisten/2010/10/springsteen_wide.jpg?t=1288113316&s=4

Julie in the rv mirror
08 Nov 2010, 20:30
Here's a preview of "Candy's Room" from the Paramount performance (Scroll to bottom of page). Looks intense. :cool: One more week to go! :D

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/51942/232004#ooid=huODB0MTp42phQg-ve7VMMC6S6aCq8a0

RadioMaster
08 Nov 2010, 22:13
actually just four days! Ordered mine today.

Gotta say the Paramount performance has to be the thing I'm looking forward to the most. The concept is just so completely different to anything we've seen so far. That Candy clip made the waiting even harder!

Sarge
08 Nov 2010, 22:23
THE DRUMS!!! :cool: I'd like to see Bruce doing more guitar solos. By the way, I was looking for a new pickguard for one of my Stratocasters but couldn't find one I liked until I saw that video. I'm going to get one like the one on Little Steven's guitar. :-)

AndyK
08 Nov 2010, 23:14
THE DRUMS!!! :cool: I'd like to see Bruce doing more guitar solos. By the way, I was looking for a new pickguard for one of my Stratocasters but couldn't find one I liked until I saw that video. I'm going to get one like the one on Little Steven's guitar. :-)

Max is a legend! Of that there is no argument.

samurai7
09 Nov 2010, 02:28
REALLY going to have to get this.

Julie in the rv mirror
09 Nov 2010, 07:23
I'd like to see Bruce doing more guitar solos.

I sure would, too. :cool: There were a few good ones the end of the last tour- like this one, for instance (I was there- Kitty was a fabulous surprise :D ):

TooBiS4fhVw

By the way, I was looking for a new pickguard for one of my Stratocasters but couldn't find one I liked until I saw that video. I'm going to get one like the one on Little Steven's guitar. :-)

:up: :cool:

Julie in the rv mirror
09 Nov 2010, 07:45
Max is a legend! Of that there is no argument.

His son's no slouch, either, considering his age. That boy could pound! I wish Bruce would have set him (Jay) loose on "Roulette".

AndyK
09 Nov 2010, 11:56
Yeah so I've heard. We were fortunate (from an E Street purists perspective anyway) to get Max at every show in the UK last year. Although we were treated to an appearance of Clarence's nephew Jacob alongside the big man at Dublin for 10th Ave, along with Ewan and Gary's daughter too who made appearances during American Land.

The "Children of E Street" would perhaps be the best tribute band line up ever!

LucyK!
09 Nov 2010, 16:04
And the best bit is Nils could be in the children line up and no-one would notice! :lol:

Julie in the rv mirror
09 Nov 2010, 16:43
Yeah so I've heard. We were fortunate (from an E Street purists perspective anyway) to get Max at every show in the UK last year.

Jay did an admirable job, but it was nice to see Max back in his seat. ;)

And the best bit is Nils could be in the children line up and no-one would notice!

:lol: Yeah, I think one of his purposes in the band is to make Bruce look tall. ;)

AndyK
09 Nov 2010, 16:46
:lol: Yeah, I think one of his purposes in the band is to make Bruce look tall. ;)

That's pretty much everyone purpose, (apart from Clarence!). They are the shortest rock and roll band ever!

LucyK!
09 Nov 2010, 16:47
And he does a great job too :lol: We were lucky enough to meet him a few weeks ago and I could not believe just how small he is!!! Was great watching Andy trying not to look over 6 feet tall :lol:

AndyK
09 Nov 2010, 16:48
I didn't want him to crick his neck!

Julie in the rv mirror
10 Nov 2010, 16:47
Rehearsal version of "Save My Love"- LOVE this video! :D

http://videos.nymag.com/video/Bruce-Springsteens-Save-My-Love

RadioMaster
10 Nov 2010, 20:01
I do love my job... gotta do a segment on The Promise for saturday :))

AndrewG
11 Nov 2010, 01:27
The boxset looks very interesting in this format I have to say. Thought the notebook was just going to be separate piece of useless crap if I'm being honest. Never seen a CD boxset that looks 30+ years old when buying it. Can't be cheap to make.

H7xjF9I2HWE

Julie in the rv mirror
11 Nov 2010, 03:38
That notebook is so much nicer than I thought it would be; I love that it's spiral bound, and that they made it look old- perfect touch :D And the discs fit in the "pockets"- too cute!

I spent literally hours with his lyric notebooks in the Hall of Fame (Picture a kid with her nose pressed against the toy store window, lol), but this looks even cooler. :cool: (Although, of course, the ones in the HOF are the real deal. ;) )

btw, here's a first look at Houston '78 "Because the Night". The video quality isn't the best at the beginning, but it gets much better when the lights come up, and the sound is excellent! I love the spooky guitar intro:

http://www.spinner.com/2010/11/10/bruce-springsteen-because-the-night-live-video/

Man, I can't decide what I'm going to watch first! (I think probably the Paramount. :cool: )

AndyK
11 Nov 2010, 11:45
Man, I can't decide what I'm going to watch first! (I think probably the Paramount. :cool: )

Yeah that's the problem with a boxset like this, too many goodies inside to choose what gets watched first. Will need to set aside a weekend day to get through the lot I guess ...

RadioMaster
11 Nov 2010, 19:33
should be here tomorrow :))

Julie in the rv mirror
12 Nov 2010, 07:29
should be here tomorrow :))

Lucky! I have to wait until Tuesday. :(

Hey, wasn't that a band? ;)

duke knooby
12 Nov 2010, 19:23
bruce gets a full page review in todays sun newspaper

RadioMaster
12 Nov 2010, 19:30
arrived today :D

RadioMaster
12 Nov 2010, 22:20
I'd like to see Bruce doing more guitar solos.

I guess then you'll enjoy the Paramount Theartre performance :D

Julie in the rv mirror
13 Nov 2010, 00:45

Sooooo, what's the verdict? :D

Monstro
13 Nov 2010, 03:05
bruce gets a full page review in todays sun newspaper

He ain't got past page three yet lol

RadioMaster
13 Nov 2010, 08:09

just brilliant. I sat in awe before the whole thing because you can see how much work/care/love went into every single piece of this box. I own quite a few movie or music box sets but this is the greatest thing I ever bought. Makes the BTR box look like a cheap effort lol

A Slice Of English
13 Nov 2010, 10:49
Excellent album. My favourite song so far is "Save My Love". So simple and yet musically it whisks me right back to my favourite Springsteen era. Just love it!

Julie in the rv mirror
14 Nov 2010, 04:17
Excellent album. My favourite song so far is "Save My Love". So simple and yet musically it whisks me right back to my favourite Springsteen era. Just love it!

I like that one too, even though it's an all-new recording (I'm not a "purist" in that respect). I like them all, actually, but I think my favorites right now are "Breakaway" and "Ain't Good Enough for You". :D

RadioMaster
14 Nov 2010, 11:11
I like that one too, even though it's an all-new recording (I'm not a "purist" in that respect). I like them all, actually, but I think my favorites right now are "Breakaway" and "Ain't Good Enough for You". :D

the book says it's just the vocals re-recorded, the arrangement is original from 78. It also says that any change to the tracks being done is exactly what they would have done originally, if they had finished the songs. (whether you believe that or not is up to you!)

Julie in the rv mirror
16 Nov 2010, 17:48
the book says it's just the vocals re-recorded, the arrangement is original from 78. It also says that any change to the tracks being done is exactly what they would have done originally, if they had finished the songs. (whether you believe that or not is up to you!)

Does the book say that specifically for "Save My Love"? I was under the impression he wrote the music in 78, but they never recorded it until this year, as well as he wrote the lyrics this year. I know Dave Marsh said one song was all new (of course he's wrong a lot of times :roll: ). I can't remember what Bruce said about it last night- I have to listen to the interview again. I know he said "Because the Night" is new, and "Racing in the Street" is all old. Personally, I think there is more new on here than I thought. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;) Some songs sound pretty obvious; others, not so much. Racing to me was clearly 78, "Because the Night" I wasn't sure. I'm really curious about "Rendezvous"

Now, for the best part of what I came on here to say. :D

I got the Paramount show last night from iTunes, and Holy freaking crap, Batman, it's fantastic! :D :cool:

Bruce played that guitar like a man posessed! My jaw dropped during "Adam Raised a Cain", but "Prove it All Night"? Oh. My. Lord! :cool: And "Racing in the Street" was just beautiful, although it's never sounded so sad to me. But then "Promised Land" follows it with the hope. That really clicked for me last night. I always loved "Promised Land", and I love it even more now. :-)

After this, I don't think I'll ever listen to the studio Darkness again. :cool:

RadioMaster
16 Nov 2010, 20:56
Does the book say that specifically for "Save My Love"?

yup

Julie in the rv mirror
16 Nov 2010, 21:24
yup

Huh...so, then which song is all new, assuming Marsh wasn't talking out of his butt again? I'm sure he said all the tracks but one had something from '78 on them.

Bruce said last night that "Talk to Me" (as well as "Hearts of Stone" from Tracks) is the exact same instrumental track that Southside Johnny used, only with Bruce's vocal. He also said Stevie added the horns on those two.

RadioMaster
16 Nov 2010, 21:56
dont know, it's just one single note in the new essay. might have to check the liner notes, maybe there's more info...

I absolutely love Talk to me btw, aint good enough for you is pretty good as well... but are very fun songs

Julie in the rv mirror
16 Nov 2010, 22:57
Ah, I knew I wasn't imagining it. (Sucks to get old, lol) It's there in the essay (I have the vinyl Promise set). While he says in the body that all of the tracks are from the Darkness sessions from 77/78, the * at the bottom of the page says:

* "Save My Love" written 1977, lyrics and recording 2010.

It's a new recording- I'm pretty sure Bruce said they had nothing, but he remembered the melody, and when they were going through the vault footage, they found the rehearsal tape (which is in the box), and he went, "Ah, that's it!"
And then he went and finished it. I for one am glad he did. :D

btw, where the hell is the UPS guy?:?

Julie in the rv mirror
22 Nov 2010, 17:10
So, anybody care to share their opinions now that the box is out?

Or, is everybody too busy watching and listening? ;)

AndyK
22 Nov 2010, 17:45
So, anybody care to share their opinions now that the box is out?

Or, is everybody too busy watching and listening? ;)

Or waiting hoping Santa was listening lol.

Julie in the rv mirror
22 Nov 2010, 19:21
Or waiting hoping Santa was listening lol.

You mean you haven't gotten it yet? There would be no way I could have waited! :-)

AndyK
22 Nov 2010, 19:24
With a Meat tour two weeks after release date, priorities have to be set ... the box set will be available next year Meat's UK tickets won't ...

LucyK!
22 Nov 2010, 19:33
You mean you haven't gotten it yet? There would be no way I could have waited! :-)

To be fair, it's killing him! :lol:

Julie in the rv mirror
22 Nov 2010, 19:35
With a Meat tour two weeks after release date, priorities have to be set ... the box set will be available next year Meat's UK tickets won't ...

Ah, I see...

RadioMaster
22 Nov 2010, 21:07
if anyone wants to know what all the fuss is about... the whole paramount show is now up on youtube! Just search for springsteen paramount 2009

AndyK
22 Nov 2010, 22:05
To be fair, it's killing him! :lol:

Understatement of the year :bicker:

Julie in the rv mirror
23 Nov 2010, 03:25
if anyone wants to know what all the fuss is about... the whole paramount show is now up on youtube! Just search for springsteen paramount 2009

I've spent so much time watching and listening to that thing, that I just finally listened to the remastered album today; it sounds great, I think. I noticed a few things that I hadn't noticed before. But the Paramount performance just blows me away! Bruce said he wouldn't change a thing about it, and I honestly agree with him. Interestingly, two songs that weren't exactly standouts to me before, "Adam Raised a Cain" and "Something in the Night" are particularly great to me on here. Especially Adam. :cool:

Anyway, as I was listening to everything (including the outtakes) today, I've decided that Darkness has moved firmly into first place ahead of "The Wild & Innocent" as my favorite Springsteen album. I mean, I still love WIESS, and I think it has one of the greatest second sides ever, but it hit me how Darkness is so much more cohesive as an album. I'm not going to go so far as to say it's a concept album, ;) but there's definitely a story, and the songs do "talk to each other". For one (and I've thought this for a long time), I think the characters in Racing are the same people in Darkness (the song), and the main character is also the narrator in "The Promise". You might even extend that and say that they are the narrator and Mary from "Thunder Road", with "The Promise" being the bridge. Of the "new" songs, I think "Breakaway" would have fit the sound and the theme; also, there's the line:

Now the promises and the lies they demand it
Let the hearts that have been broken stand as the price you pay
To breakaway

Which harkens to "Badlands":

Let the broken hearts stand as the price you have to pay

Not to mention the character of "Sonny" is present again.

I was also struck by the line about about Janie and how "in a parking lot, she gave her soul away, to breakaway". It reminds me of how it's said that Bruce signed his record contract on the hood of a car, and I heard him say recently that he would have done anything, he just wanted to make a record.

Anyway, that was my afternoon, FWIW :lol:

RadioMaster
23 Nov 2010, 09:17
I think the thing that makes Darkness so coherent is that's a very personal album. And everybody who is or has been in that state of desillussion and accepting what life is really about, will feel the album personally speak to them. I think the lyrics on Prove it all Night make that perfectly clear:

if dreams came true, well wouldnt that be nice
but this aint no dream, we're living through the night
you want it, you take it... you pay the price!

Julie in the rv mirror
23 Nov 2010, 21:43
I think the thing that makes Darkness so coherent is that's a very personal album. And everybody who is or has been in that state of desillussion and accepting what life is really about, will feel the album personally speak to them. I think the lyrics on Prove it all Night make that perfectly clear:

if dreams came true, well wouldnt that be nice
but this aint no dream, we're living through the night
you want it, you take it... you pay the price!

And further:

You hear their voices telling you not to go
They made their choices and they'll never know
What it means to steal, to cheat, to lie
What it's like to live and die

To prove it all night...

And the proving ground is the hill in Darkness:

Tonight I'll be on that hill, 'cause I can't stop
I'll be on that hill with everything I've got
Lives on the line where dreams are found and lost
I'll be there on time, and I'll pay the cost
For wanting things that can only be found
In the darkness on the edge of town

Yeah, I think it is a very personal album for him, and one he apparently cares for a lot, judging by how much he plays the songs from it over the years.

Stunning, indeed. :cool:

Sarge
05 Dec 2010, 11:51
This is hot :cool: :D:

hqZW6e7UI_0

Julie in the rv mirror
05 Dec 2010, 22:33
This is hot :cool: :D:

I know, right? Steve without a bandanna! :drool:

(Just kidding- I know exactly what you mean! ;) :oops: :lol: )

I love the shout-out to Jimmy Iovine: :D

WmT2yAAb4sI

RadioMaster
05 Dec 2010, 22:35
yup, the jimmy line is brilliant. was laughing the first time i heard it on the cd. this has got to be the ultimate inside joke! now he's a fairly big name in the music biz (also has a bit of history with Steinman btw), but back then he was just one of the guys hanging around on a farm in holmdel lol

Julie in the rv mirror
05 Dec 2010, 22:45
I absolutely love that song! :D It's one of Bruce's rare funny ones; there are only two others that come to mind: "Sherry Darling" and "Ricky Wants a Man of her Own." I love both of those, too.

RadioMaster
05 Dec 2010, 23:23
cant stop listening to the track. also talk to me is pretty catchy!

Julie in the rv mirror
06 Dec 2010, 00:38
also talk to me is pretty catchy!

It is! :-) I love the clip of Bruce and Steve singing it in the documentary.

Maybe Bruce will bring the horns on tour next time. :pray:

BostonAngel
06 Dec 2010, 00:51
I definitely want that Springsteen boxed set. Maybe Santa Clause will buy it for me for Christmas.

That's bloody cheap too for what you get! When we're paying £200 for a M&G, t-shirt and laminate...

I definitely agree with you there Lucy! Of course I was still willing to fork over the money for the M&G. LOL
I would fork over the money for the Springsteen set too if I had any.

AndyK
06 Dec 2010, 12:09
cant stop listening to the track. also talk to me is pretty catchy!

Talk To Me is IMO the best track that Springsteen gave away, it's always the highlight of a Southside show as far as I'm concerned.

Julie in the rv mirror
08 Dec 2010, 03:17
There's a new video of the whole song, "Ain't Good Enough for You". :D

I love it, but it needs a bit more cowbell. ;)

(Ping Sarge- There's some more of the Holmdel footage. ;) )

CiAkfAodJgs

A Slice Of English
08 Dec 2010, 08:28
Anyone watch or record the "Imagine" show on BBC1 last night? It was a 1 hour documentary about Darkness. I've recorded it in glorious HD to watch later.

And I agree, "Talk To Me" is officially one of my favourite songs. SO catchy!!

A Slice Of English
09 Dec 2010, 20:05
Also a big fan of "Fire"...

Julie in the rv mirror
09 Dec 2010, 23:30
Anyone watch or record the "Imagine" show on BBC1 last night? It was a 1 hour documentary about Darkness. I've recorded it in glorious HD to watch later.

I think it was an edited version of the documentary that is in the box, which is cool. :cool:

I like "Fire" as well- he was really channeling Elvis on that one, which makes sense since he initially wrote the song for Elvis. :-)

MusicPub
10 Dec 2010, 03:17
...just picked up Springsteen's 'The Promise' box set companion book, The Light in Darkness (http://www.thelightinDarkness.com) amazing original photos and stories frm the Darkness tour, limited edition

Julie in the rv mirror
16 Dec 2010, 22:37
I thought about starting a new thread, but I figured I'd just put it here, if anyone is interested.

Bruce just put out a webcast featuring several songs from The Promise that was filmed just last week in Asbury Park. For you Ain't Good Enough fans, there's a fun version here, with Bruce practically cracking up in the middle. :D (I lol'd at the part when he gets back to his mic and there's an audience member standing there :lol: )

My favorite part is the first song, a simply gorgeous version of Racing in the Street, featuring David Lindley on violin, who played on the original track that is featured on The Promise. If you've never heard of David, he is an amazing musician (multi-instrumentalist) who has played with many artists, including Jackson Brown, Linda Rondstat, and Warren Zevon, to name a few. As Sarge pointed out, (thanks, Sarge) perhaps it was his version of Mercury Blues that inspired Meat's cover of the song. David is also featured on The Promise here in the webcast, and it's my new favorite version of the song.

Anyway, here's the links I have- hopefully one will work for you.

from Bruce Springsteen.net:

Worldwide Streaming Information:
USA/Canada VEVO (http://www.VEVO.com)
Australia Australia YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/?gl=AU&hl=en-GB)
Ireland Irish Times (http://www.irishtimes.com)
UK The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk)
Germany Rolling Stone (http://www.rollingstone.de)
and Yahoo! (http://www.yahoo.de)
France Deezer (http://www.deezer.com)
Spain El Mundo (http://www.elmundo.es) and Marca (http://www.marca.com)
Denmark - Politiken (http://www.pol.dk)
Holland Nu (http://www.nu.nl)
Switzerland Teleboy (http://www.Teleboy.ch) and Le Matin
(http://www.lematin.ch)
Italy Repubblica (http://www.repubblica.it)
Israel Walla (http://www.walla.co.il)

For fun, I thought I'd throw in this vid of Lindley's Mercury Blues:

tr3Jp_aF1Ok

AndyK
30 Dec 2010, 22:30
Clearly I was a good boy last year as the stunning box set was sat under the tree waiting for me on Christmas morning!

It's stunning!

Obviously some of the tracls on the double CD are on the double CD and not on Darkness for a reason, but some of them are worthy of being on a dedicated album and not an album of outtakes, I'm not just talking about Talk To Me, Rendezvous, Fire or Because The Night here, Candy's Boy is a superb different take on Candy's Room (which since Candy's Room is one of my all time favourites is praise indeed form me!), Rendezvous, Ain't Good Enough For You and Spanish Eyes are other tracks that get a notable early mention.

The Paramount show is stunning in it's intensity, the E Street Band sicken me in the way that they make it all look so easy!

The Thrill HIll Vault stuff from the sessions is interesting and stunning, I love those clips of SPringsteen at work in the studio and I'd love to see the Pheonix show in ti's entirety.

Tomorrow the remastered album and the Houston show beckon!

Stunning!

Julie in the rv mirror
30 Dec 2010, 23:07
I'm glad you finally got it Andy- sounds like it was worth the wait for you. :D

The Paramount disc is my favorite thing in the box, and probably one of my favorite things he's done, ever. It is truly amazing how that band can still bring it. :cool:

I agree, there are some gems on the vault footage as well- I absolutely love "Something in the Night" from Red Bank '76. I'd also love to have heard the rest of the early version of "Candy's Room" (House at the end of the street?) that Bruce was playing on the piano in that small clip- it sounded even darker than the finished guitar version.

Phoenix '78 is great- the pity is that the whole show wasn't filmed (that we know of), thus those few songs are all there is. :( I think you'll like Houston, though. :-)

The outtakes set does have some excellent songs, although "Spanish Eyes" isn't one pf my favorites. On the other hand, I think "Ain't Good Enough for You" could have been a huge hit, regardless if Bruce or someone else recorded it. I'm kind of glad he saved it, though, so we get his version first. :-) (Shame we had to wait 32 years) Rendezvous is cool, but not too much different (aside from a few lyrics) from the "Tracks" version (which was live).

I think the album remaster was done pretty well, but after hearing Paramount, for me it's a bit of an afterthought. I don't think I'll play the original album much, if at all, anymore.

I'm curious about your guesses as to which vocals are new/ old? I think I've got most of them, but a couple have me scratching my head a bit- "Rendezvous" is one.

AndyK
31 Dec 2010, 01:30
I've loved Rendezvous since I heard a scratch tape of it pre-tracks, so to finally get a decent studio take is a gift to me.

As for which are original and which are new vocals, I need to listen a few more times I think. Watch this space.

Did I mention that the notebook facsimile is stunning too? Very well put together.

Julie in the rv mirror
31 Dec 2010, 06:57
As for which are original and which are new vocals, I need to listen a few more times I think. Watch this space.

Yeah, it took me at least a few listens. For a couple of songs, I'm still not sure.

Did I mention that the notebook facsimile is stunning too? Very well put together.

I agree- it's incredible how realistic it looks! :-)