PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading right now!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

heat
24 Apr 2003, 10:48
Just wondering what we are all reading? And please don't say 'this message' :twisted:

I admit to being a bit of a bookworm, and have over 5,000 books at home - hubbs thinks i'm demented...he could be right :roll: :roll:

At the moment, i'm into Alex Kava, Tami Hoag, Stephen King, Cathy Reichs, Michael Connelly, Patricia Cornwell,Harlen Coben,James Herbert and John Connolly.

My fave book of all time hasta be between

Pet Sematary - Stephen King

Deja Dead - Kathy Reichs

IT - Stephen King

The Horse Whisperer - Nicholas Evans

ANd there are so many more.....

Heat
xxx

sherrie87
24 Apr 2003, 15:52
Hi Heat,

OK, I'm a librarian and a book reviewer for a magazine, so this is a topic I can sink my teeth into!

Right now I'm re-reading all the books in Stephen King's Dark Tower series in preperation for the release of the latest book in November. I finished "The Gunslinger" and I'm getting ready to start "The Drawing of the Three", which is my favorite book in the series.

The best book I've reviewed lately is "After" by Francine Prose. It's about "school safety" measures gone horribly wrong following a school shooting- all rights are taken away and the school becomes a dictatorship. It's an interesting exploration of weighing safety vs. personal freedom. It will be released in June, I think.

My favorite books ever are:
Fiction: "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving
"Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
"Bag of Bones" by Stephen King
Nonfiction : "Mankind: Have A Nice Day- A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks" by Mick Foley (an American wrestler)
and of course....
"To Hell and Back" by Meat Loaf
(Actually the Mankind book is very similar in tone to the Meat Loaf book, though it's about wrestling rather than rock and roll.) Both have a concussion count and very engaging narrators.

Sherrie

Louise
24 Apr 2003, 16:09
I'm currently reading "Dubliners" by James Joyce because it's a set text for my part time degree, so it's only because I have to! :)

dottie
24 Apr 2003, 17:11
Not without my daughter - Betty Mahmoody
Clive Cussler
Graham Masterton
Robin Cook
Andy Mcnab
Chris Ryan
Shakespeare
Well actually anything - as I am an avid bookworm

Renegade Angel
24 Apr 2003, 17:15
Im more into biographies - usually Music and sport ones.
Im not reading anything at the moment although I have just finished reading 'The Dirt - Motley Crue', which I have to say was one of the best books I've read.
I don't think I've ever even heard a Motley Crue album but the stories are great, especially Nikki Sixx's Tales!

The Flying Mouse
24 Apr 2003, 18:32
:twisted: I'm not reading anything at the moment,but my favourite two aurthors are Stephen King (I see a lot of people here like him also :D ) and Bernard Cornwell,who writes the Sharpe novels.
The first S.K. book I read was Misery,but I would say my favourite of his books is Salem's Lot.
I think they did quite a good job of turning Misery into a film,although a lot of elements where missing,but that can only be expected :roll: .The film of Salem's Lot didn't do the book justice at all.A lot of characters had their names changed for no reason and some characters were a "compilation" of characters from the book.The worst thing of all was Barlow himself.In the book he is a very clever,devious character,and those who meet him have little or no idea he's a vampire until he it's too late.In the film,he's just a seven foot purple b-movie monster without a word of diologue.
I like the Sharpe novels because apart from being great stories,they are very well researched.As a person who is interested in military history,I apreciate the way that B.C. includes a few pages of historical notes at the end of his novels to explain the difference between his story and what actually happened.
I think the Sharpe films were good.Not always 100% true to the books,but still well done.Althogh the character Richard Sharpe was originaly a dark haired Londoner,Sean Bean did such a good job playing him that even B.C. paid tribute to him,saying Sean wiped the original from my mind,and I think he's terrific.

The worst book ive read would have to be Jaws.It has the odd lively moment,but most of it is very boring.How they made such a great film from it is beyond me 8O .

The best book ever has got to be To Hell And Back.But maybe i'm biased :wink: .

Chris
24 Apr 2003, 22:28
Well I have to confess to being a serious bookworm. Recently moving out of the parents into my own place and used the boxes from computer monitors to move my books. Took 17 boxes!!!!!!!

I very rarely only have 1 book on the go at once. I usually have 1 at work to read over lunch, 1 for in bed and a couple for when i am bored or ahving tea etc.

At the moment I am rereading the series of Dr. Delaware novels by jonathon Kellerman and am currently on "Over The Edge"

Also the author Gervase Phinn who writes about his time as a yorkshire school inspector. Absolutely hilarious and well worth reading.

Steven Kings "Everything Eventual"

Terry Pratchett's "Night Watch"

Tom Clancy "Red Rabbit"

& Stephen Coontz "Saucer"

I tend to latch on to an author and work my way through their entire back catalogue before starting on another. hence I have the complete works of Stephen King, Terry Pratchett, Bill Bryson, Tom Clancy, Jeffrey Archer, John Grisham, Geoffrey Deaver, Issac Asimov, Tom Holt, Jasper Fforde, Deric Longden and many many many more!!!

(God, this message makes me sound like a nerd!, Product of ebing a librarians son!!!)

Tim
25 Apr 2003, 13:30
I'm reading a lot of books at the same time at the moment!! :lol:

Some Art Books (allways very intresting)
Homerus - Ilias
Boudewijn Buch - Islands
3D Max - computer book

ANd offcourse some other great books but forgot the names.

jcmoorehead
25 Apr 2003, 13:41
ARGH! 3D Studio Max! The evil one! Ok maybe I overdone it. I havn't got many books but heres what i'm reading at the moment

Championship Manager 4 Strategy Guide - Its an addictive game!
Inside Lightwave 7 - 3D Modelling book
Only Fools and Horses Bible of Peckham Volume 3 - All the scripts from 1986 to 1996

I also have many favs

Only Fools and Horses: Bible of Peckham Volume 1,2 & 3
Mankinds Autobiography - Pretty good Book. Interesting to read
Star Trek Encyclopedia - Yeah I'm a big fan of star trek
Star Trek Voyager: The Nanotech War - Yet another good Trek Book

And probably more.

Tim
25 Apr 2003, 14:36
3D max is very cool. Made my own book, for the school i was on, it was about Quark XPress, and now they use it. hheheheeheh

jcmoorehead
25 Apr 2003, 15:00
I prefer Lightwave i just find it easier

Renegade Angel
25 Apr 2003, 18:17
Im trying to install Champ Manager 4 but it won't install for some reason, so im gonna have to get my friend the pc wizard to come and help me out.
Hope it's as good as Champ Manager 3!

Shadows On The Wall
25 Apr 2003, 20:17
Im currently reading Dante's Inferno - anyone have htoughs on this book.
I like a good Tom Clancy Novel mind

jcmoorehead
25 Apr 2003, 20:20
Im trying to install Champ Manager 4 but it won't install for some reason, so im gonna have to get my friend the pc wizard to come and help me out.
Hope it's as good as Champ Manager 3!

Its a hell of a lot better

Jen
26 Apr 2003, 01:46
I'm not really reading many books right now (I'm kinda hooked on fanfiction at the mo).

I've started the Lord Of The Rings trilogy which I'll try and finish before the next film comes out *lol* and I'm planning on reading the Silmarillion and the Unfinished Tales (guess I should read the Hobbit too).

And I think I'll have to read The Phantom Of The Opera by Gaston Leroux again sometime (great book by the way).

Hope I'll have time between reading all these boards. :)

Jen

dottie
26 Apr 2003, 15:35
Macromedia Flash- god this is hard going - but if I-can learn to use a-computer at my age nothings impossible 8O

jcmoorehead
26 Apr 2003, 16:17
Macromedia Flash- god this is hard going - but if I-can learn to use a-computer at my age nothings impossible 8O

lol thats one hell of a hard tool to use. I can only use Swish. Its a good tool though. good luck on Learning it

dottie
26 Apr 2003, 16:43
Yep! I'm gonna need it :!:

White of High
26 Apr 2003, 18:28
My fav is Cyrano de Bergerac by Edmond Rostand cause he's me!!!
I don't like the literature but E. rostand is fantastic. I love Shakespeare too. And I love the books about God and faith and religion...

Wild Honey!
I know ou like the angels. Here is a good filozophie book by Don Cupitt. The title is: "Hot on the scent of lost gods" - think! Very good minds about God and angels...

Kat
24 May 2003, 22:59
Ok so we got a what are you listening to but what are you reading!
Obviously right now you are reading this but in general....oike this week or whatever!

I just started on "catch 22"

original sin
24 May 2003, 23:01
Working my way back through LOTR

Asha
24 May 2003, 23:01
Sword of truth novel, it's a fantasy concisting of 8 books now, if I'm correct.

Just started the 3th novel, long way to go yet, but it's well writing en entertaining.

Asha

Kat
24 May 2003, 23:05
Is LOTR any good? I've never read it or seen the film...

original sin
24 May 2003, 23:13
all i can say is I read it every year or so - from the Silmarillion then the Hobbit then LOTR I very rarely revisit a book but enjoy this each time.
Have only seen the first one of the films and was not disappointed!

Asha
24 May 2003, 23:14
It is,
especially if you're into hobbits, wizards, talking trees and some downright nasty orcs :)

Well, I love it anyway...
All I can say is, try it, because else you'll not know.

I can say I like it, but I can't speak for you.....
Asha

Jen
24 May 2003, 23:17
Is LOTR any good? I've never read it or seen the film...

8O You must read, it's great and see the films.

I'm also working my way through the LOTR books, slowly though... keep getting hooked on fanfiction.

You might wanna check out an older thread What Are We All Reading???? (http://www.mlukfc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1075)

Kat
24 May 2003, 23:20
Wise words Asha!

thanks for the heads up termin8orjen! maybe this should be moved then?
I love to know what other people are reading....make for a good future reading list!

Kat
24 May 2003, 23:30
Ok time to revive an old topic I missed first time round!

Today I brought copies of "Catch 22", "Catcher in the rye" and "Lord of the flies". I've never read the first of those three and haven't read the other since I was like 10 or something so I figured it was time to re-visit!

I got too many books to pick favs but these are my favs for today :wink:

Dharma bums - Jack Kerouac
Life against death ( a psychoanalytical view of history) -Norman O. Brown
No on here gets out alive - Danny Sugerman and Jerry Hopkins
1984 - Orwell
The doors of perception - Huxley
Down an out in Paris and London - Orwell
To kill a mocking bird - Harper Lee
Naked lunch - William Burroughs
One flew over the cuckoos nest - Ken Kesey
A treatise on white magic - Alice Bailey

Ok that was longer than I meant it to be but I love alot alot alot of books lol

Jen
24 May 2003, 23:42
Lord Of The Flies and 1984... 8O ... *shudders*... sorry bad memories from school, I'll never go near those books again.

Also read Tipping The Velvet by Sarah Waters recently, started her second novel Affinity, still to read her other one, Fingersmith I think it's called, seemingly they're supposed to be qiute good.

Finally read To Hell And Back recently too, great read some brilliant stories in there.

meatmadpat
24 May 2003, 23:45
I,ve just finished To Hell and Back for the second time.It was about two years ago when I first read it. Must say I thoroughly enjoyed it again :lol:

Kat
24 May 2003, 23:49
Tipping the velvet was purdy good from what I remember!
You really should go near 1984 again....it is such an insightful book and stands its ground even more these days than it did when it was written!

I remember reading it at 12 and wanting to send a copy of it to evey house in the country....never did have enough money :roll:

White of High
24 May 2003, 23:56
At now nothing cause the exams are on my neck! But after I will read a book by Illig. It's Invented Middle Ages.
Do you know it?

Kat
25 May 2003, 00:02
I haven't heard of it...
what exams do you have? shouldn't you be reading for them?!

White of High
25 May 2003, 00:09
Never!!!!
I hate it! I will know from my head it!

This book is an interesting historical revelation what was kept secret. It's a book from Germany and the scholars couldn't refuted it in 15 years.

Kat
25 May 2003, 00:13
Hey sounds cool! might have to ckeck that out!!!!

Good luck with ur exams!

sherrie87
25 May 2003, 03:32
Kat,

I liked "Catch 22", but for some reason I preferred the movie to the book. Right now I'm reading a book called "Feng Shui for Teens" or somesuch rubbish title, I review teen books for an American magazine so it wasn't my choice to read it- they assign books to me. When I don't have anything new to read I usually re-read segments of "To Hell and Back"- I always discover something new. I haven't really started anything new lately because I'm going to leap into the new Harry Potter when it come out in just over 3 weeks.

Sherrie

Tim
25 May 2003, 15:51
I'm reading Homerus with the Ilias. A great book, about a great Greek tragidy.... over 1000 pages orso, but worth wile reading it.

Chris
25 May 2003, 16:00
I have just started James patterson's Cat And Mouse

Also, Stephen King The Stand

and am about to statr Bill Bryson Notes Form A Small island

sherrie87
26 May 2003, 01:06
Chris,

Is this your first reading of "The Stand", or a rereading? If it's your first, I really envy you that experience. I'll never forget my first reading of The Stand, when I was in 11th grade (16 years old). Enjoy!

Sherrie

Kat
26 May 2003, 01:09
Sherrie,

U got a cool job! How u manage to get a job like that.....man reading and reviweing books for a living! Great!
I've never read "The stand", only seen the film.
Didn't even know there was film of "catch 22" but the book id pudy good.

sherrie87
26 May 2003, 01:27
Kat,

I don't actually get paid for reviewing books, but I get to keep all the books that I review and I get them about 6 months before they are released to the public, so it's well worth it. I also get the small honor of seeing my name and review in print every two months when the mag that I review for comes out. My full time "real" job is as a librarian for teens, which is also a very cool job for me.
Yes, Catch 22 was a very good movie. It featured Alan Arkin, Art Garfunkel and Anthony Perkins. There were probably a number of other very famous actors in it, but those are the ones who leap to mind.
The Stand movie was excellent as well, and it is a pretty suitable substitute to reading the book if you don't want to tackle the nearly 1000 page epic!
Sherrie

Kat
26 May 2003, 01:40
Still sounds like a cool job!
Art Garfunkel was in it? Wicked was just listening to "The Boxer" when I read your post!

1000 pages would be good if I didn't have to read a million books for uni in between lol

Sherrie...your son is gorgeous!!!

sherrie87
26 May 2003, 01:53
Kat,

Yes. Art was in Catch 22, and it was a factor in the breakup of Simon & Garfunkel. There is even a vague mention of his work in the movie in "The Only Living Boy in New York", a song on the last S&G record Bridge Over Troubled Water. He has done a number of movies, my favorite being "Carnal Knowledge".

I understand about not being able to read "for fun" while going to university. I used to really look forward to school holidays because I would finally have time to read something I wanted to read. My favorite authors are Stephen King, Harlan Ellison, John Irving, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, David Almond and Richard Matheson.

Thanks for checking out my son's website. He just graduated from kindergarten last week, we're as proud as we can be!

Sherrie

Kat
26 May 2003, 02:01
He is such a cute boy! Really!!! Don't tell anyone but I read throught the whole site and cried lol but ssshhhhh
Musta been horrible for all of you!

I tend to read bookd I like that are connected to my subjects but still ot what I am supposed to be reading! Leaves me knowing what I'm talking about but talking about something other than what I should be!!!

Being at uni is a bonus though coz I tell my dad I need a book for uni and he buys it for me but really its just one I wana read anyway!

Terri
29 May 2003, 01:00
To Hell And Back,for the first time!!!! (I know I'm probably way behind you all, but hey we all have to start somewhere) It's great, I'm a quarter of the way through it and it's only day one.

Asha
29 May 2003, 04:50
I read it about a month ago, for the first time.
And because I had nothing else to do that day, I finished it the same day.

Good reading I thought. Easy to read eventhough being from Holland I did have difficulty with some of the words.
But then again i always read English books so I didn't find it difficult overall.

Asha

Terri
29 May 2003, 09:52
Asha

Wow 8) that was good going finishing the whole book in one day, but I can understand how as it is a very good read and very hard to put down. Unfortunately other commitments kept dragging me away. :x

dottie
29 May 2003, 14:37
Scaredy Cat - Mark Billingham

Kat
29 May 2003, 14:59
Some damn Psychology text book :cry:

Testify
29 May 2003, 22:24
meats bio

evil nickname
29 May 2003, 22:38
Just started in Baudelino by Umberto Eco (in Dutch, my Italian is virtually non-existent).
I completely addored his "The Name of the Rose" -- I would nominate as a strong contender for the best book ever -- and now I wanted to read something else by him, and this one got good reviews a couple of years back when it was first published.

Other books I've read recently include Gala by Ronald Giphard (Dutch), The Stand, It, Desperation and On Writing by Stephen King, De Ontdekking van de Hemel (The Discovery of Heaven, Dutch, for the 2nd time) by good old Harry Mulisch... and looking forward to Harry Potter part 5 actually...

Testify
30 May 2003, 13:53
i finished readin bio in one day to, i couldn't put it down!! n im readin it agen for the 5th time its that good!!

ABH
30 May 2003, 14:06
I'm reading : " I'm Dina" (Book by a Norwegian author). It was a present I got, so I felt I should read it. There's more than 600 pages and I'm only half way through.
Maybe I should just se the movie instead :D

AnneBeth

The Flying Mouse
30 May 2003, 16:03
:twisted: I've just finished re-reading Sharpe's Battle by Bernard Cornwell.

Ben
30 May 2003, 16:23
Im reading 'Daddys Little Girl' by Mary Higgings Clarke, in the back garden in the sun! :lol:

dottie
30 May 2003, 18:39
Tengu - Graham Masterton - Graham signed this one on my birthday eons ago 8)

Kat
30 May 2003, 18:45
Life against death : A psychoanalytical view of history by Norman O. brown...also in the garden in the sun!! :o

Chris
31 May 2003, 22:28
Sherri: It is a rereading of the stand. I tend to read it fairly often as I think it is a great novel.

I currently am between books due to excessive hours at work!!!!

However my mum is a librarian so i ahev been round a few libraries this week which ahve book sales wheere they get rid of their old tatty books. Most of them are taped togetherand will need throwing away when I ahve read them, but they are only 50p for a carrier bag full. Think I have bought around 120 thrillers and legal novels and murders to read over the summer. Sounds like a lot but some fo them I can sit down and read in a day!

Asha
31 May 2003, 23:50
Just starting on book 4 of the sword of thruth series.

Asha

heat
31 May 2003, 23:55
Just finished reading 'Out Of The Dark' by Linda Caine and Robin Royston.

Hafta say, this is one of the best books i've ever read -you hafta read it!!!!

Heat
xxx

Kat
01 Jun 2003, 00:07
you hafta read it!!!!

Or else what?! 8)

heat
01 Jun 2003, 00:18
you hafta read it!!!!

Or else what?! 8)

I'll bite... :wink: :P 8O :D

Kat
01 Jun 2003, 00:38
ok ok lol in that case I shall look out for it!!
Jus don't bite :cry:

heat
01 Jun 2003, 00:46
:lol: :lol: i won't....well...maybe if you ask me nicely :D :twisted:

Heat
xxx

Kat
03 Jun 2003, 01:57
The bell jar - Sylvia Plath

What damn cool and damn straight book! 8)

heat
03 Jun 2003, 09:41
Just started reading Lost Light, by Michael Connelly

Kat
03 Jun 2003, 22:31
Just finished "The Bell Jar" which I brought all of about 24 hours ago so it must have been good!

Tryina decide what to read next...
Mice and Men or Zarathustra...hmmm :roll:

Chris
03 Jun 2003, 22:34
Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintainence - Robert Pirzig

If you only read 1 more book in your life, make it this one!!

Bren
03 Jun 2003, 23:41
The Salmon Of Doubt by Douglas Adams :lol:

sherrie87
03 Jun 2003, 23:54
Bren the Bat said....
The Salmon Of Doubt by Douglas Adams

Bren! I am a major Douglas Adams fan and I have never heard of this book. (And to my shame, as a librarian I really should know it!) Is it a posthumous book, or was it released before he passed away?

Sherrie

Testify
04 Jun 2003, 00:05
still aint finished meats bio, mind u i know it inside out, well sort of, its the um cant remember how many times but aint bin able to read any more cos of revision! :(

Kat
04 Jun 2003, 00:45
Excellent choice chris!!!!!!!!!!! Now I know what to read next!

Whatcha revising for testify?

heat
04 Jun 2003, 00:53
Kat - at a guess, i'd say it could well be for exams..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Shane
04 Jun 2003, 02:00
MLUKFC Forum, various authors

Kat
04 Jun 2003, 02:12
Methinks Heat is after a smacked botty!! 8O

heat
09 Jun 2003, 08:19
Methinks Heat is after a smacked botty!! 8O

:twisted: Ohhhh...is that a promise, Kat???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Chris
20 Jan 2004, 22:18
Just thought it was time to resurrect the topic and raise the thread from the dead etc..

So, what are people reading:

I have just finished Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett

Am now reading
Dracula - Bram Stoker
Moving Pictures - Terry Pratchett
Misery - Stephen King
The Well Of Lost Plots - Jasper Ffordes (if anyone likes comedy-fantasy and is a fan of the fiction world, read this author He has done three so far - in order - The Eyre Affair, Lost in A Good book and The Well of Lost plots)
Salmon Of Doubt - Douglas Adams - A posthumous book containing all fo the plot lines etc and random text files he hadon his laptop when he died (including the incomplete book 6 of the Hitchhiker Trilogy)

And finally,

A book that i bought yesterday and have been unable to put down!!! It is Robert Rankin- The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse. It is a comedy/fantasy/thriller set in Toy City where toys are being murdered by the town's seedy underworld!!!!

Gez
20 Jan 2004, 22:23
Chris, a wee bit of Garlic and large cross should hang above your bedroom door :twisted:

Do you sleep with light on .......or.stare.into.the darkest.corner .of .the.room :devil:

SH*t, I'm scaring myself here 8O

evil nickname
21 Jan 2004, 00:35
This morning I started in Stephen King's "Wolves Of The Calla", after finishing Anne Rice's "Interview With The Vampire" the day before.

Past year, I read a huge amount of Stephen King (It, The Stand, Dreamcatcher, parts One to Four of the Dark Tower series, Hearts In Atlantis, and then some), Umberto Eco's "Baudelino", Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet", Harry Potter 5, and some more I don't really recall. I read a lot...

On my "this year I have to read" list there is room for more King, Shakespeare, and Anne Rice. Anyone any recomandations for the last two?
And then there are some books/writers I really should check out (or so I think): "Lord Of The Flies", because it was featured in "Hearts In Atlantis", and it sounded pretty interesting, and Terry Pratchet, just because my neighbor says I'll like it...

Lauren
21 Jan 2004, 00:53
Just finished the rigante series by david gemmell - a definate must read

AndyK
21 Jan 2004, 01:16
Just started the Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake page two so far so can't comment too depply on it;)

Prior to that Brave New World and before that the complete Lord Of The Rings (again - just in time for the film)

Skeleton
21 Jan 2004, 10:50
I have red all John Grisham´s books except Skipping Christmas and Painted house. But I don´t own A time to kill, The Rainmaker, Skipping Christmas and Painted house.

And I like Stephen King too. Especially in the middle of night. If I can´t get sleep I read King´s stories and I can go to sleep easily. (I have never seen nightmares in my whole life) :p

And there´s only one autobiography what I have red and it´s To Hell And Back. When I get it I red it immedietely and next day I red it again. :mrgreen:

By now I have red it four times ´couse it´s wonderful. Or what you think about? :bunny:

DebGreaves
21 Jan 2004, 18:57
Am currently reading Inconceivable by Ben Elton

native texan
21 Jan 2004, 18:57
Man, I envy you all. I'm lucky if I have time to read the paper every day! 8O

sherrie87
21 Jan 2004, 20:57
Chris, thanks for resurrecting one of my favorite topics! (As a librarian, I love books and talking about books!)

The last book that I finished was Stephen King's Wolves of the Calla. I've read other books since, but only as part of my job reviewing books for a magazine- they are not books I would have chosen on my own so they don't really count. I'm going to look into that new Douglas Adams book- it sounds right up my alley!

BTW- hurrah, this is post ONE THOUSAND for me!

Sherrie

Kitty Kat
21 Jan 2004, 21:31
I don't tend to buy books as I am one of those people who cannot bear to read a book more than once, so I am a very regular visitor to the local library.

Favourite authors are:
Robin Cook
Jonathan Kellerman (with or without Alex Delawere)
Judith Kellerman (wife of the above)
Jeffrey Deaver (the Bone Collector, maidens Grave etc)
Patricia Cornwell
Lisa Scottoline (Like a female John Grisham)
John Grisham

As you can see my taste in reading veers towards the gruesome

Gez
21 Jan 2004, 21:46
Are Disney books included here :wink:

Chris
21 Jan 2004, 22:10
My problem with books is that i am one of those people who latches on to an author and then reads their entire back-catalogue!!

However, the only problems with this is that I tend to catch up with them and end up wiating for the next book to be published and i tend to find they become quite formulaic.

For example, I read the entire Tom Clancy - Jack Ryan series and found that I got bored by the end (Executive orders) because Ryan had worked his way up the ladder until eventually he was president and it just got a bit boring for me. Having said that I have enjoyed Red Rabbit as it looks back on Ryans early cases.

Similarly Grisham tends to follow a formual when writing and his books start to become the same.

I am currently looking for new authors to read as I ahve finished all my faves!!

If anyone has any suggestions I like thrillers and political novels, medical dramas (such as robin Cook) and authors like Grisham, Clancy, kellerman, Cook, Crichton. You get the gist!!!

Lauren
21 Jan 2004, 22:14
I don't tend to buy books as I am one of those people who cannot bear to read a book more than once, so I am a very regular visitor to the local library.

Favourite authors are:
Robin Cook
Patricia Cornwell
John Grisham

Like u i'm an avid jonathan kellerman fan, i own all his books (cept the latest -must get) but i prefer them with alex delaware btw isn't he married to faye kellerman?

Kitty Kat
22 Jan 2004, 00:10

Favourite authors are:
Robin Cook
Patricia Cornwell
John Grisham

Like u i'm an avid jonathan kellerman fan, i own all his books (cept the latest -must get) but i prefer them with alex delaware btw isn't he married to faye kellerman?

you are right - it is Faye kellerman. where I got Judith from I have no idea. Must have been having a senior moment :roll: :roll:

shadow1000001
22 Jan 2004, 01:33
I just finished reading Stephen King "Wolves of the Calla" and I am anxiously awaiting the next book in that series.
Now I am reading Anne Rice "Servant of the Bones"

Maria

Chaos
24 Jan 2004, 00:01
I see lots of folks are like me and need to have at least 5 books on the go at the same time. Finished harry Potter and The goblet Of Fire today. But, I'm reading:

Stephen King "IT"
Stephen King "Dreamcatcher"-can't see me finishing this. Can't get into to it at all.
Edgar Allan Poe "The complete Works And Poems"
JK Rowling "Harry Potter and The Order Of The Phoenix" again.

heat
24 Jan 2004, 00:17
At moment i have just started reading BRAVEMOUTH by Pamela Stevens. Being married to Billy Connelly must be like being in a panto at times, but having read BILLY and found it utterly superb, i bought hubbs the sequel for crimbo.

black dog
24 Jan 2004, 01:08
Currently reading Into The Garden By Virginia Andrews.

Read most types of books. Have read most of Stephen Kings books and all the Anne Rice books I could find at the library. I love her Vampire series. Also like Brian Lumley's Vampire Trilogy and Necroscope books. God this makes me sound terrible. At the other end of the scale I can read Catherine Cookson, Auto/Biographies (read several on the Russian Tsar Nicholas and Tsarina Alexandria) also like mystery books.

sherrie87
24 Jan 2004, 05:16
Chaos said: Stephen King "Dreamcatcher"-can't see me finishing this. Can't get into to it at all.

I had the same experience with "Dreamcatcher"- it seemed endless and I really just couldn't get into it. But, having read nearly all of Stephen King's book I just couldn't give up on it. So, I borrowed the book on tape from the library and listened to it instead- it was much more tolerable that way. BTW, if you haven't read King's "Bag of Bones" or "Insomnia", do so immediately- both (particularly Bones) are the best thing he's written in 15 years.

Sherrie

black dog
25 Jan 2004, 14:14
Edgar Allan Poe "The complete Works And Poems"

I don't think I could read this. I watched a short film once The Pit and The Pendulum (I'm sure that's what it's called) and couldn't shut my eyes afterwards. It really frightened me so have never had the courage to read Edgar Allan Poe. The silly thing is I don't get frightened during horror books or films normally.

Have just started reading - E Branch Invaders by Brian Lumley

When I wrote about these the other day decided I wanted to re-read some of the books.

Wild_Honey
29 Jan 2004, 14:19
Hmmm.... Well my all-time favs are

Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo - Christiane F.
The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Alice's Adventures In Wonderland - Lewis Carroll
Less Than Zero - Bret Easton Ellis
'Round Ireland With A Fridge - Tony Hawks
Dead Poets Society - Kleinbaum
The Lord Of The Rings - J.R.R. Tolkien
My Angel And I - Karina Silberweg

and everything written by Maeve Binchy!!! :) I also like Shakespeare, and the latest book I've read was "Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold.

Di
30 Jan 2004, 23:32
Anne Rice "Blackwood Farm" (LOVE the Vampire Chronicles!) :bunny:

Picking at LOTR *again* (Read it once a year just about...) ;)

Terry Prachett "Men at Arms" (Been *trying* to get to this one, but I keep setting it down for other things.... argh!) :roll:

black dog
30 Jan 2004, 23:54
Anne Rice "Blackwood Farm" (LOVE the Vampire Chronicles!)

CHSIB I've just borrowed this from the library so will be reading it when I've finished the one I'm on.

black dog
10 Mar 2004, 01:16
Haven't started reading Blackwood Farm yet. Got sidetracked and started reading David Copperfield instead. Decided to read if after seeing the school play

Caz
10 Mar 2004, 01:46
Reading Lord of the Rings at the moment .... well i've been reading it for about a year now lol ... that's how long it's taken me to get this far.

parkymac
10 Mar 2004, 21:18
I'm reading 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen. I never thought I would read a 'classic', but it is fantastic. A beautiful love story - perfect for all us women who want to meet our very own Mr Darcy!! :wink:

ChrissybabezNI
10 Mar 2004, 22:43
Im reading 'Inside The Firm' by former Kray Boss Tony Lambrianou
All about my favourite gangsters :D

badger
10 Mar 2004, 23:28
My favourite author is Anne Rice by a million miles.

I am such an over obsessed fan of the Vampire Chronicles you wouldn't believe!

At the moment though I am reading Bernard Cornwell's Harlequin.

Apart from the Vampire Chronicles my favourite book is Orwell's 1984.

Chris
10 Mar 2004, 23:41
I am having a Stephen Baxter phase at the moment.

He writes sci-fi that is fairly factual based. The lastest one I have read was Titan where he looks at what would happen if NASA had gone for a Mars Expedition rather than the Shuttle option. They are fairly in-depth books but i like them.

Also am a huge Tom Holt fan adn have just started John Brosnan who is in the same vein. Am reading his "Have Demon Will Travel" at the mo.

Lady B
12 Mar 2004, 15:54
Well I have to confess to being a serious bookworm. Recently moving out of the parents into my own place and used the boxes from computer monitors to move my books. Took 17 boxes!!!!!!!

Ok Chris . . . I have to ask. Does this mean that there a are 17 computer monitors wandering around homeless somewhere? Hummmmmm . . . :lmao: Sorry. I just couldn't resist that one.

In the last week I've stumbled across an email list called TudorTalk on yahoo and I might just as well be reading books for this one. Make a pot of coffee, prop my feet up at the computer and spend an hour or two reading. Very interesting. After working on the family tree for the last 28 years the history buff in me came out, especially when I can make the personal connection in it. It's takes on a greater significance to me and since one of the lines in the tree comes down from Henry VIII's great grandfather, Lord Owen Tudor, there's my connection.

In books . . . while I'm waiting for book 6 of the Outlander Series by Diana Gabledon, I have John Jakes book, Charleston, on my shelf to read. I read his Americans Series when I was in high school and still have all 8 of the paperbacks from that. I like his books.

I also like John Grisham and Robert Ludlam ~ especially the 3 Bourne books.

I haven't really had the time to do much reading but am making plans for changing that when the kids move out in the next couple of months.

Lady B

evil nickname
12 Mar 2004, 21:38
After finishing "The Wolves of the Calla", I started to re-read the dutch translation of Stephen King's "Insomnia" that I have lying around. Huge mistake. I found it very hard to get going, while I sped through it the first time round. So I picked up the original English version, and now I'm up to speed again.
And when I'm done with this one, I have Golding's "Lord Of The Flies" already waiting.

Chris
12 Mar 2004, 21:46
Went to the library yesterday where they were doing a cheap book sale (ex-library copies 10p) So i splashed out on a lot of Eric Lustbader, Ken Follet and james Follett books.

I will start them as soon as i finish my current book - The Dilbert Principle by Scott Adams

Kitty Kat
13 Mar 2004, 21:12
Currently reading James Patterson. Just done Roses are Red and am ready to start Violets are Blue.

sherrie87
14 Mar 2004, 06:15
Thanks to Chris' recommendation a while ago, I will be starting Douglas Adam's "Salmon of A Doubt" tomorrow! I'm looking forward to it!
Sherrie

black dog
14 Mar 2004, 15:59
Just finished David Copperfield so I am now starting Jolie Blon's Bounce by James Lee Burke. Its a murder book.

evil nickname
17 Mar 2004, 20:16
Just finished with "Insomnia". Tomorrow (or maybe later tonight), I'll be starting in "Lord of the Flies". After that? Who knows?

KebLou
17 Mar 2004, 20:40
Right Now I'm reading: To hell and back which is amazing but everyone thinks I'm mad because I won't shut up about it.
But my fave books that I've finished have to be The Anita Blake (vampire hunter) books by L.K.Hamilton they are brilliant although I scared myself after reading I was in Dorset taking the dog for a walk by a river and I thought there was a vampire behind me :oops: .

meshurp
17 Mar 2004, 20:44
i ahve just finished Lord of Snow and Shadow by Sarah Ash and am just about to start on the curse of chalion by lois McMaster Bujold.

RoknRollJesus
17 Mar 2004, 20:51
Just started 'Long Aftrer Midnight' by Iris Johansen....good so far...

DIZZY DRUMMER
17 Mar 2004, 21:04
First Aid In The Workplace

Have a weeks course coming up - just brushing up on a few things

good job i'm not on the crash team

http://users.pandora.be/eforum/emoticons4u/crazy/1471.gif

airhead
17 Mar 2004, 21:53
The first time: Chers autobiography

Louise
18 Mar 2004, 11:39
"The White Devil" by John Webster, but only because I have to!

Louise x

Weezy
18 Mar 2004, 12:16
Last months Glamour magazine :P

evil nickname
30 Mar 2004, 01:23
OK, so I've finished "Lord Of The Flies" today. Can't say I really liked it. Golding's style does not do it for me. The story was interesting though.

And I started immediatly with Dan Brown's "The DaVinci Code" because my sister said it was a great book, and the synopsis she gave me, sounded pretty interesting...

Heli
30 Mar 2004, 12:44
I've just started Meat's Biography again! I love it.

airhead
30 Mar 2004, 13:55
Classic rock magazine.... oooooh!

The Flying Mouse
30 Mar 2004, 15:26
:twisted: Sharpe's Havoc by Bernard Cornwell :up:

Love the conversations between Sharpe and Sergeant Harper :lmao:

Couple of notable quotes from this book....

Sharpe:We'll march at dusk tonight.I want you to check everyone's equipment and ammunition.

Harper:We're going to have rain sir.Bad rain.

Sharpe:That's why god made our skins waterproof.

Harper:There's something i've noticed, sir, ever since we joined up with you in Spain.

Sharpe:What's that?

Harper:That we're always outnumbered and surrounded.

Fantastic books 8)

Keep Rocking
30 Mar 2004, 23:35
"the vanished man" by Jeffrey Deaver
I love his books! :D

Steinfan1978
31 Mar 2004, 23:23
My favourite books include

Wuthering Heights - Emily Brontë
The picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit - Tolkien
All Harry Potter stories - J.K. Rowling
All books by Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Michael Connelly and John Saul
My copy of the Ferengi rules of aquisition

And almost anything that has Vampires in it!!!!

Klasien

Chris
31 Mar 2004, 23:42
I am reading Robert Ludlum's books at the moment

Just finished the Paris Optiona nd am now on The Altman Code.

The new Lee Childs book came out this weeka nd I haven't got it yet!! :cry:

He writes about a guy called Jack Reacher and they are the best books I have ever read. Fantastic novels. JR is a former American Army Policmean who now travels around the states doing one-off jobs. There is uaranteed too be plenty of gritty actiona dn a great plot!!!

Kitty Kat
31 Mar 2004, 23:44
"the vanished man" by Jeffrey Deaver
I love his books! :D

I love his books too. The Bone Collector and The Coffin Dancer A Maidens Grave and all the others too

KebLou
31 Mar 2004, 23:54
I'm reading two books: To Hell And Back
and
Bubbles Unbound

RoknRollJesus
01 Apr 2004, 00:00
I just started "We're Just Like You, Only Prettier (Confessions Of A Tarnished Southern Belle)" by Celia Rivenbark
It's a tongue-in-cheek kinda book. Very funny....thought I'd break away from the macabre, serial killer, crime, mystery rut I was in.
:roll:

jo

Miriam
01 Apr 2004, 10:45
Currently reading Jane Austen - Mansfield Park

My favs are: (Don't wonder about the mix :lol: )

Candance Bushnell - Sex and the city
J.R.R. Tolkien - Lord of the Rings
Helen Fielding - Bridget Jones Diary and Bridget Jones, the edge of reason
Steven King' s IT, Shining, The green mile, Firestarter, Pet Sematary...
Christiane F. - "H."
Thomas Harris - Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal

Skeleton
01 Apr 2004, 12:51
I like H.P Lovecraft´stories. They´re great.

KebLou
01 Apr 2004, 15:11
Currently reading Jane Austen - Mansfield Park

I don't really like Jane Austin, we had to read Pride and Prejudice, and di coursework on it, needless to say it was my worst piece, I just don't understand her, I'll have Shakespeare anyday.

badger
02 Apr 2004, 04:18
Just finished Bernard Cornwell's Grail Quest trilogy.

Now reading Luke Rhinehard's The Dice Man. Very strange!

Keab42
05 Apr 2004, 01:52
The White Gryphon - Mercedes Lackey
The Colour Of Magic - Terry Pratchett
A Brief History Of Time - Stephen Hawking
On The Shoulders Of Giants - Stephen Hawking
The Nature Of Space And Time - Stephen Hawking and Roger Penrose

sherrie87
05 Apr 2004, 06:05
I just finished:

Rock Wives- actually, I just read the 10 pages or so that are an interview with Leslie Aday (though she was referred to as Leslie Meat Loaf in this book!) Very interesting, I enjoyed it- though it was from the early 80s so it's really out of date

The World According to Mister Rogers- This is a little book, full of quotes by American (is he known in other countries?) childrens' TV celebrity Fred Rodgers. It is absolutely beautiful, it had me in tears a few times. (WIMP!) To paraphrase a line from Jack Nicholson: "it made me want to be a better (wo)man".

Right now I'm reading two books-

It's Good to Be King (Sometimes) by Jerry "The King" Lawler- this is a biography by the famous American wrestler. Fluff, fluff, fluff. I'm a sucker for all the WWE biographies, but this one is even worse than most of them.

Shattered Love- Richard Chamberlain. This is the story of actor Richard Chamberlain's life, culminating in his finally outing himself as gay after nearly 60 years. I have always adored him on TV, so I wanted to learn a bit more about him. It's interesting but upsetting how miserable he was trying to hide his real life for so many years. I've just started this one, it seems much more interesting than the other book I'm reading.

What's next? I think I may reread one of my favorite books that I have not touched in a few years- either A Prayer for Owen Meany or Love in the Time of Cholera.

Sherrie

Wild_Honey
05 Apr 2004, 20:03
I've just finished reading "About A Boy" by Nick Hornby - hmmm.... why do books always seem to be so different to the films? :roll: Really great read! :D

RSG
09 Apr 2004, 14:22
The "What are we reading?" thread!!

Sorry, I coulldn't resist, :lol: but at the present moment, nuthin, I should pick it up soon again though.

KebLou
03 Jul 2004, 23:39
I'm reading a book called Regeneration by Pat Barker. Its a brilliant book! Its about the mental health of British soldiers in the first world war, and is a true story.

Steinfan1978
04 Jul 2004, 00:20
I'm re-reading The Lord Of The Rings.... can't seem to get enough of this book....

Klasien

scotty
04 Jul 2004, 11:39
Increment by Chris Ryan.

evil nickname
04 Jul 2004, 13:54
Jonathan Stroud's "The Amulet Of Samarkand (The Bartimaeus Trilogy I)"

One could say it's a Harry Potter knock off, but it is much better than that. The whole concept of magic is brillantly twisted.

Modern Girl
05 Jul 2004, 12:08
The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy (A Trilogy In Four Parts)

Di
11 Nov 2004, 03:19
I just had to resurrect this thread. ;) I recently finished two books that TOTALLY rocked and had to write about them. :D

One evening about a week ago my son walked into my room, handed me a book called "The Da Vinci Code" and said, "Mom, if you get to page six in this you will be hooked." At two in the morning he was reminding me I had to go to work in a few hours. ;)

I just finished another book by this same author called "Angels and Demons" and I am hungry for more. ;) These are both the kind of books that you cannot put down, but are totally bummed out when they are finished! I am now reading "Secrets of the Code" just because the material is fascinating the heck out of me.

Anyway, needed to post and hope that it brings these books to others. 8)

The Flying Mouse
11 Nov 2004, 03:30
:twisted: Just finished reading Sharpe's Escape by Bernard Cornwell (about 5 mins ago :lol )
The usual blend of action, drama, and the occasional burst of humour that makes you laugh out loud 8) .

sherrie87
11 Nov 2004, 05:12
Di,

"The DaVinci Code" is one of two books that Pearl Aday recently recommended (ok, maybe 6 months ago) as books that she really enjoyed. I've never gotten around to that one, but the other one she suggested I did really enjoy. It's called "The Secret Life of Bees". It's very Southern, very American, and really a great, absorbing read. Apart from that, most of what I've read lately has just been for work- reading novels that the kids I work with in my school library need to read for a quiz bowl competition. The last book that I read "just because I wanted to" was the final Dark Tower book, Stephen Kings latest. It was pretty good, but I was SO disappointed in ending that it sort of ruined the who book for me. I'm getting ready to read "Flags of Our Fathers", about the US Marines who raised the flag at Iwo Jima and what became of them. (Three never made it out of the battle, and only 2 others lived past 35 years old.)After that- I've no idea. If this topic picks back up, maybe I can find some good suggestions here.
Sherrie

dottie
11 Nov 2004, 12:08
My Story - Dave Pelzer

A Child called 'It'

The Lost Boy

A Man called Dave

:cry:

Di
11 Nov 2004, 14:03
A Child called 'It'

:cry:

It is so odd Dottie, this is the only other book my son ever handed me to read... it was required reading for him his last year in school, and it is beyond sad. How anyone can mistreat a child is something I will never understand. This child went through horrors beyond any imagining.

Just started Digital Fortress last night, another Dan Brown book. ;)

(Yes I am totally hooked...) :)

KebLou
11 Nov 2004, 19:58
The Importance Of Being Earnest and The Communist Manifesto

RoknRollJesus
11 Nov 2004, 20:42
Just started 'Nine' by Jan Burke. She's quite a good read!

LostSoul
12 Nov 2004, 00:44
Just finished Marilyn Manson's biography and started a book about Hitchcock.

Pat

ps: :)) funny ---> :lock:

Tim
13 Nov 2004, 20:11
At the moment this topic, yeah... bit stupid to be on the internet while reading a book.

Keab42
13 Nov 2004, 20:33
The Diamond Age - Neal Stephenson

a very good book but it gets a bit weird towards the end

Skeleton
22 Nov 2004, 19:14
John Grisham´s Painted House was nice.. As a matter of fact I have read all his books... (In Finnish ofcourse...)

Keab42
08 Jan 2005, 23:17
Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix

(watched the film at christmas and fancied re-reading them :oops: )

DIZZY DRUMMER
08 Jan 2005, 23:43
The Two Of Us - My Life With John Thaw

He was a brilliant actor - I miss is talent :cry:

KebLou
09 Jan 2005, 00:00
I'm in the middle of reading a book by Freud, Totem and Taboo. It's rather interesting, although I've been told to read it with a critical mind.

Rob The Badger
09 Jan 2005, 15:52
That's cause he was a nutter!

Currently reading: Lots of stuff on the Punic wars...fun.

dottie
09 Jan 2005, 17:32
I just wasn't made for these times - the story of Pet Sounds

Tim
09 Jan 2005, 19:01
REading, what is that???

Only reading forums hahaha.

Bren
09 Jan 2005, 20:11
currently...... a book on paintings of Pieter de Hooch

Fallen Angel
09 Jan 2005, 20:14
Hannibal: Thomas Haris

Skeleton
10 Jan 2005, 11:20
Grisham: King of Torch..

In Finnish: Kanteiden Kuningas

Debbi V
10 Jan 2005, 12:39
"Trace" by Patricia Cornwell

needmoremeat
10 Jan 2005, 18:26
Chaos said: Stephen King "Dreamcatcher"-can't see me finishing this. Can't get into to it at all.

I had the same experience with "Dreamcatcher"- it seemed endless and I really just couldn't get into it. But, having read nearly all of Stephen King's book I just couldn't give up on it. So, I borrowed the book on tape from the library and listened to it instead- it was much more tolerable that way. BTW, if you haven't read King's "Bag of Bones" or "Insomnia", do so immediately- both (particularly Bones) are the best thing he's written in 15 years.

Sherrie

I got that for Christmas!!!!! :D Only £2.99 in the Works, but I don't have time to read it: exams :evil:
I started reading Ben Elton's Popcorn, but haven't finished it yet. Also Bridget Jones, Edge of Reason (still haven't got around to blacking out the part about my neighbouring city's football club! :evil: ) I haev hundreds of books, I can't get enough!!!!! Considering I'm quite narrowly focused in music tastes, I'm very eclectic where books are concerned: Stephen King, Crichton, Rowling, Philip Pullman, Orwell, the occassional script book (Frasier, Fr Ted, Blackadder, Vicar of Dibley), but my favourite book of all time has to be Lord of the Rings :D I absolutely loved it!!!!!! I found the Fellowship really hard going, as I wanted to read it before I saw the movies, but found it really hard to picture the characters until I saw the cast, then it was easy. First half of Two Towers was hard, and I stopped reading it for a while, then I picked it up again, read the second half of the two Towers and the whole of Return of the King in 3 days!!!!!!! :lol: I couldn't get away from it after that, I had to read it another 3 times before I could bring myself to read another book! I want to read it again sometime, but I'll have to wait until June when my A levels are finished :? I just find it so fantastical and over the top and stunning!!!!! To me, Tolkien's kind of the Steinman of the literature world :)

Cathie
10 Jan 2005, 23:40
"The Lovely Bones" Alice Sebold

Love reading but haven't really got time to at the moment cos of my A Levels :roll: When I've got a lot on at school I tend to read books that are more easy going than this one, it's a bit much for me to be reading at the moment!

Chris
10 Jan 2005, 23:54
Just read Terry pratchett Going postal which was great.

Also finished Michael Crichton's State of fear which was rally good and Jeffrey Archer's Sons of Fortune which was a good read.

I have also just finished a book by Somebody Egleton about an SIS agent called Peter Ashton. Apparently there are a whole series of these books. They are a bit like Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan novels but British. Made for a good read.

Keab42
11 Jan 2005, 13:45
Just read Terry pratchett Going postal which was great.

one of his best yet.

now reading New Spring by Robert Jordan, its a prequel to his "wheel of time" series.

Tim
11 Jan 2005, 21:10
Well... at work that i'm currently doing, i must read German. :S Not my best subject in school.

Gez
17 Jan 2005, 01:30
..does Mayfair/Playboy count??

Gez
17 Jan 2005, 01:49
....anybody read 'angels of Death'. Great book so far....awaiting the end if I can get over my double vision 8O

Heli
17 Jan 2005, 02:29
Started reading a book called "Lucas" today...it's rather good actually!

anette
18 Jan 2005, 20:22
Currently I'm reading "To Hell and Back" by Meat Loaf - actually this is the first book I get round to read for very long time, because my work (and the internet :oops:) do consume most of my time. When I attended school (long, long ago :lawl:) I liked reading Stephen King a lot and nowadays I sometimes read fanfiction about Star Trek, X-files, Stargate, Monk and some other series...

BTW, THAT would be a challenge - Meat Loaf related fanfiction :devil:

Anette

Tim
19 Jan 2005, 22:04
heheh, Annete, know what you mean. It is a great book i think!!!

i'm reading some contracts about houses, phone, etc. Not nice, but learning a lot from it hahah.

Keab42
20 Jan 2005, 01:19
Revision notes

DIZZY DRUMMER
20 Jan 2005, 23:32
Smackdown mag :lawl: :wtf:

Tim
23 Jan 2005, 20:59
i want to start reading the DaVinci Code.... Is that something nice to read or is it just sjit?

DIZZY DRUMMER
24 Jan 2005, 10:18
Today's work schedule :cry:

KebLou
24 Jan 2005, 20:57
Right now I'm reading, apart from all my school work. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. Brilliant read, and slightly different from the film. Bob was supposed to have blond hair!

Steinfan1978
24 Jan 2005, 23:23
i want to start reading the DaVinci Code.... Is that something nice to read or is it just sjit?

I red 3 of his books so far and I loved em!!!!

Klasien
Currently reading Mists of Avalon for the 10th time or so

crystal shards
25 Jan 2005, 03:51
BTW, THAT would be a challenge - Meat Loaf related fanfiction :devil:

what would you be able to add that wasn´t named by both, jim and meat :mrgreen:

Bren
26 Jan 2005, 14:20

i've not read it....but it is very popular in the library where i work....

needmoremeat
28 Jan 2005, 22:01
In the past two weeks I've read two John Grishams: Pelican Brief and The Chamber, (from which I learned more about the USA judiciary than I have from one of my politics teachers! :roll: ) and 5pm last night I picked up The Da Vinci Code (got that and lots of Grishams in the sale in Tescos! :D Plan to look for more tomorrow! :wink: :lol: ) and have just finished it!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!! 3 great books one after the other! Too bad they diverted me from revising for exams :? But exams finished yesterday so I'm free for now!!!!! 8O

DIZZY DRUMMER
31 Jan 2005, 08:24
First Aid Manual (Have an intense course coming up)

Chris
31 Jan 2005, 20:43
The joint Industry Group's Industry Standard Service Agreement (ISSA:14) for the supply of national newspapers and magazines within England and Wales.

:?

God, it's boring!!!!

dottie
01 Feb 2005, 19:10
Sagmeister - Made you Look

Skeleton
05 Feb 2005, 21:34
Stephen King´s Drawning of the three.. It was really nice book... :up:

meshurp
09 Feb 2005, 00:57
well im being a little intellectual at the moment with what im currently reading:
Britain BC - Francis Pryor
the fall of the roman empire - Michael Grant
Beginners latin
So you think you're human - Felipe Fernandez-armesto
Agnes Grey - Anne Bronte

i love libraries and when i have filled up my card i can always put more books on mums!! :lol:

sherrie87
10 Feb 2005, 03:49
Skeleton!!!!! The Drawing of the Three is one of the finest books ever- I envy you your first reading of it. I pretty much have it memorized, along with all the rest of the Dark Tower books.

I just finished Faultline by Janet Tashjian, I really enjoyed it. It's about an 18 year old girl who wants to become a standup comic. She meets another 18 y/o boy comic and they start an intense but abusive relationship. Excellent book, though a bit heavy at times.

I have a half dozen other books at home from my library, but I haven't started any yet. I think the next one will either be Multiple Choice by Tashjian or Green Angel by Hoffman. Anyone read either of those?

Sherrie

heat
11 Mar 2005, 17:27
Currently reading...

Prozac Nation - Elizabeth Wurtzel
Living With Leo - Mario De Clemente
The Bachman Books - Stephen King

DIZZY DRUMMER
11 Mar 2005, 20:44
First Aid at Work Regulations 8O

Debbi V
11 Mar 2005, 21:27
The Policy by Bentley Little (I love his creepy stuff!)

KebLou
13 Mar 2005, 00:32
Psychology AS and a book on sign language.

needmoremeat
13 Mar 2005, 18:07
I just finished Dan Brown's Angels and Demons. Really enjoyed it, but the only problem is that every chapter ends on a cliffhanger so you can't put it down! :evil: However, I thought it was great when my MP got a mention! :mrgreen: I showed my politics teacher in the lesson the other day. She said "Aaaahh!" and I told her: "that's exactly what I said!" :lol:

Cathie
22 Apr 2005, 00:53
Just finished "Fingersmith" by Sarah Waters. Really good but the chapters are so long that by the time you get to the 4th chapter you're about halfway through the book!

Chris
23 Apr 2005, 23:28
Just finished "Winnie Ille Pu Semper Ludet" which is the house at Pooh Corner in latin!!

Have got a little pile of books to be getting on with: Les miserables by Hugo, Churchill (volume 1) by lord jenkins, Trojan by someone whose name i can't remember, the new Lee Childs book (can't remember title), Flashman on the march by Fraser, The time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger and Out of Your Townie mind by Richard Craze.

However, for now, i am gonna have a bath reading the Employment of Children Regulations, the European Working Time Directives, and A Guide to the Remit And Operations Of The Office of Fair Trading!!!!

DIZZY DRUMMER
23 Apr 2005, 23:31
Ultimate Play Along - Carmine Appice

Keab42
24 Apr 2005, 14:12
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, am now up to book 6 - Lord of Chaos

Cathie
10 May 2005, 22:30
Just finished "The Funny Thing Is..." by Ellen DeGeneres and have been reading "The Queen and I" by Sue Townsend for about the 20th time. I needed something lighthearted while I was doing coursework!

Have a whole pile of books I want to read :D

Keab42
10 May 2005, 22:46
"Get a Life" by William Shatner

actually a very interesting book...

Cathie
11 May 2005, 17:21
The Ninth Life of Louis Drax - Liz Jensen

Chris
11 May 2005, 17:43
Re-reading Stephen Kings Dreamcatcher

Cathie
11 May 2005, 17:55
Re-reading Stephen Kings Dreamcatcher

:shock: :shock:

I've always wanted to read "The Shining" but I would probably end up putting it in the fridge like Joey in "Friends"!

Skeleton
12 May 2005, 12:16
Dean Koonz: False Memory.

My best friend recomended it and as a matter of fact it´s very nice book...

SuperLoafMan
12 May 2005, 13:50
The Highway Code....:D

Testify
12 May 2005, 22:56
tv guide

Chris
12 May 2005, 23:24
Finished Dream Catcher.

Last night i started on Patrick moore's Autobiography.

As a totally unrelated comment - Patrick Moore once called me a stubborn, torturing sadist.

Cathie
12 May 2005, 23:27
As a totally unrelated comment - Patrick Moore once called me a stubborn, torturing sadist.

Err...why? :shock:

Chris
12 May 2005, 23:32
Because the conversation ahd moved around to hunting/shooting.

Biter
13 May 2005, 00:40
Hell Bent For Leather - Seb Hunter...
If you like heavy metal or have ever picked up a guitar you MUST read this book...its so funny yet so true...

Skeleton
13 May 2005, 22:32
Stephen King´s Wizard and glass... This is the second time..

lil_angel_88
17 May 2005, 22:33
i dont read many books. the last lot of books i read was the harry potter books. i prefer to see it like in a film than read it. how about anyone else? ;) :oops:

Keab42
17 May 2005, 22:37
reading everytime. at any given moment i have at least two books on the go.

at present.

Lord of Chaos - Robert Jordan
Daedalus - star trek book not sure of author.
The World of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
Revision Notes - Keab42

Bren
17 May 2005, 22:41
i dont read many books. the last lot of books i read was the harry potter books. i prefer to see it like in a film than read it. how about anyone else? ;) :oops:

prefer books any day...... :D

Cathie
18 May 2005, 00:25
reading everytime. at any given moment i have at least two books on the go.

at present.

Lord of Chaos - Robert Jordan
Daedalus - star trek book not sure of author.
The World of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
Revision Notes - Keab42

Know what you mean, even when I'm supposed to be working/revising I'm normally reading at least two books!

At the moment:
The Ninth Life of Louis Drax - Liz Jensen (yes...still)
The Truth Is - Melissa Etheridge
Day in the Death of Joe Egg - Peter Nichols (the other drama group used it in their performance)
Health Psychology book (a last ditch attempt at revision)

Cathie
07 Jun 2005, 00:30
The Da Vinci Code

Keab42
07 Jun 2005, 13:06
Crown of Swords (wheel of time book 7) - Robert Jordan

Rob The Badger
07 Jun 2005, 13:48
Still Life With Woodpecker - Tom Robbins

Pixie
07 Jun 2005, 15:10
Bl**dy Post-Graduate Dissertations! :evil:

needmoremeat
07 Jun 2005, 20:56
Long Way Round by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman. Only got it yesterday and I'm halfway through!
And The Hard Road to Baghdad by John Simpson

Should be revising, really, but my excuse is the Simpson book is political! :D

dottie
08 Jun 2005, 18:44
Seigmaster

Chris
09 Jun 2005, 23:08
I've just been to the library this evening.

This weeks selection is:

All Fun & Games Until Somebody loses An Eye - Christopher Brookmyre

Conviction - Richard North Patterson

Last Witness - Jilliane Hoffman

All three look like good murder thrillers!

SuperLoafMan
10 Jun 2005, 00:00
Still perfecting myself with the Highway Code :-)

Pixie
15 Jun 2005, 20:41
Matt Ridley's "Genome" - it's really interesting, honestly...oh, OK then :D

Biter
15 Jun 2005, 20:55
Hell Bent For Leather - Seb Hunter.
Anyone that likes rock music MUST get this book!!!!

Jen x

SuperLoafMan
15 Jun 2005, 21:18
Still perfecting myself with the Highway Code :-)
Test on Friday :? :?

shadow1000001
15 Jun 2005, 21:31
Balance Of Power ~ Tom Clancy

I've just started getting into his books. They are pretty good.

Maria

needmoremeat
15 Jun 2005, 21:36
I tried reading "the Bear and the Dragon" a little while ago, but I had to stop because
1: the Russian names were ten letters long, each with two forenames and a surname :shock:
2: scene shifted to US, Jack Ryan, I can handle that! ;)
3: then went to where I initially thought was China, but ended up being Japan (or vice versa, I can't remember!), then to the other country that wasn't the country I first thought it was :shock:
4: I thought I better start reading books and notes for exams instead :evil:
I'll try again after exams, though. I'm not put off that easy! :mrgreen: I'll read anything if it stands still long enough! :lol:

Bren
16 Jun 2005, 00:53
the collected poems of Robert Service

Pixie
16 Jun 2005, 09:59
...good luck to everyone revising for tests and exams!!....:D

Reading some poor person's PhD on teenage pregnancies..:shock:

DIZZY DRUMMER
17 Jun 2005, 09:41
...good luck to everyone revising for tests and exams!!....:D

Reading some poor person's PhD on teenage pregnancies..:shock:

I could have given her a few tips working in Maternity :lmao:

I'm reading the phone bill :nuts:

Pixie
17 Jun 2005, 13:52
Aye, but maybe a teeny bit too late by then Sharon???:D

Now reading the instructions to a bl**dy Ikea set of drawers :twisted:

Chris
17 Jun 2005, 14:41
Aye, but maybe a teeny bit too late by then Sharon???:D

Now reading the instructions to a bl**dy Ikea set of drawers :twisted:

Why???

I speak fluent Ikea-ish!!! I can loom at the pieces of wood, look at the finished picture and mentally piece the furniture together!!! Never fails!!

I think this puts me on the same wavelength as the ikea designers which is rather worrying!!

I am currently reading this weeks copies of "Retail newsagent", "Convienience Store Magazine" and "Asian Trader" ( I don't know why they send me this but apparently i qualify for a free copy!!:shock:)

Cathie
18 Jun 2005, 23:57
Fierce Creatures (the novel) - Ian Johnstaine (or something like that)

Pixie
20 Jun 2005, 11:38
Why???

I speak fluent Ikea-ish!!! I can loom at the pieces of wood, look at the finished picture and mentally piece the furniture together!!! Never fails!!

I think this puts me on the same wavelength as the ikea designers which is rather worrying!!

It is indeed worrying Chris! :D I suppose you've either got it or you ain't! :cool: (I ain't!!)

Pixie
20 Jun 2005, 11:39
Reading my EuroDisney brochures as we're off there on holiday tomorrow, YIPPEE!! :D :lol:

Skeleton
21 Jun 2005, 20:23
I red To Hell and Back in 5th times.. And every time I found something new from it.. I´m not native English that´s why..

dottie
22 Jun 2005, 21:12
World War Craft - new game of Ellis's

needmoremeat
15 Jul 2005, 20:23
I tried reading "the Bear and the Dragon" a little while ago, but I had to stop because
1: the Russian names were ten letters long, each with two forenames and a surname :shock:
2: scene shifted to US, Jack Ryan, I can handle that! ;)
3: then went to where I initially thought was China, but ended up being Japan (or vice versa, I can't remember!), then to the other country that wasn't the country I first thought it was :shock:
4: I thought I better start reading books and notes for exams instead :evil:
I'll try again after exams, though. I'm not put off that easy! :mrgreen: I'll read anything if it stands still long enough! :lol:

I picked up this book again on.....hang on......it might have been sometime this week or last, I'll say Wednesday last week! :lol: I'd read about 50 pages when I first picked it up, and gave up temporarily for above reasons. I'm well into the 700s now, and enjoying it! :D Got names and countries sorted out, and I wonder what Tony Blair would make of him being portrayed as a PM who says "old boy" a few times! :lmao:

Lauren
15 Jul 2005, 21:00
As of midnight - the new Harry Potter (half blood prince) ... can't wait!

needmoremeat
15 Jul 2005, 21:03
I'm saving that for Sunday as a nice distraction from what otherwise would be me running round the house getting excited for Monday night, or sitting around, wishing it was Monday night! :lol:

Caelan
15 Jul 2005, 22:10
stephen kings- dark tower

like fantasy

Alex
15 Jul 2005, 22:29
I will too Lauren, though probably not midnight visit to the shops :)

Lauren
16 Jul 2005, 22:38
I will too Lauren, though probably not midnight visit to the shops :)

Ok gave up on midnight visit :lol: but i made it this morning :cheer:

Ageing Bat
16 Jul 2005, 23:58
Frantically trying to finish 'Death Du Jour' by Kathy Reichs (only another 42 pages to go), so that I can start on Harry Potter. :D

Biter
17 Jul 2005, 00:05
new Harry Potter book....its good!

Lauren
17 Jul 2005, 01:42
new Harry Potter book....its good!

Don't reveal anything - i'm gonna try and save it for my hols in a fortnight!

Biter
17 Jul 2005, 13:13
well, im not gonna give nothing away, but i stayed up until 4:25 am finishing it...and it was SO worth it

needmoremeat
17 Jul 2005, 13:22
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince! :lol:
Read about half yesterday and decided to save the rest for today to keep my mind from wandering to tomorrow night too often ;)

Alex
17 Jul 2005, 16:26
Some nice suprises layered into the book so far, and I'm only page 250. Though, I haven't been reading it entirely devotedly. :D

Ageing Bat
18 Jul 2005, 09:57
Have at last found the time to finish Death Du Jour....... start on Harry Potter tonight :D