PDA

View Full Version : The Rare Songs: 38. Rock'n'Roll Mercenaries (Exploded Mix)

Garrett
12 May 2003, 10:15
Rare Songs: Rock'n'Roll Mercenaries (Exploded Mix)

Okay, this is a real exploded version! Let me compare the two versions together. The album version is 5:00 minutes long. This version is 10:08 minutes long. It's also a typical eighties sound, which you can dance to. And it's right for dancing the whole night long. :lol: Due to the fact, that I love very long songs, I think the exploded mix of RRM is really cool, but not as good as the ext. mix of "Getting Away With Murder". It's sooner the worst mix of the three BBIS mixes, but still good and better than the shorter album version.

7/10

http://www.smiliemania.de/smilie.php?smile_ID=404

Bart
12 May 2003, 13:24
i think these extended version/mixes sounds like disco. It has nothing to do with Meat. 5/10

evil nickname
12 May 2003, 19:52
I decided to give it one more spin, and it wasn't so bad as I remembered it to be. Sure it sounds like disco/dance music, but wasn't that what happened to lots of music in the '80s? The Golden Earring and U2 had dance-remixes of their songs, and I bet there were more bands who did that....
Actually, I gonna make a very bold statement: I like this better than the B-side, RPM. Where that was just a boring rock song, here Meat goes for something comepletly different (like Do It! is different), and in this case I think it worked. It has a nice beat, and I'd give it 6.5/10, because altough its not bad, it's miles away from being anything I'd give a more regular spin. But that's because I'm a metalhead!

Bart
13 May 2003, 10:07
I think that Meat had nothing to do with these remixes. I think it was beyond his control. Like the whole album was.

evil nickname
13 May 2003, 10:26
OK, if you put it that way, I can see your point. Don't really like that album, and I don't care much for dance music -- I'm mostly a die hard metal-head -- so there's really just a couple of songs I like of BBIS (being Execution Day, One More Kiss, BBIS and Burning Down)

Shane
14 May 2003, 00:41
I haven't heard this exploded mix of Rock and Roll Mercenaries. Could someone please describe it to me? Are there extra lyrics?

White of High
07 Jul 2003, 17:18
It's very very very long! I'm dying in the boring...

My score: 4

Average: 5.30 (26.5/5)

Evan
07 Jul 2003, 21:06
Wasn't this on the album that Frank Ferian produced and put a disco dance beat on every song, which Meat hated (as he states in his book.) Anyway, one of his better non Paul Jacobs songs, but in the same sense a wretched non Steinman song. Liked the duet. Too bad Meat and John Parr's relationship never resurfaced after the not introducing him onstage thing.

4/10

Shane
12 Jul 2003, 03:34
Wasn't this on the album that Frank Ferian produced and put a disco dance beat on every song, which Meat hated (as he states in his book.) Anyway, one of his better non Paul Jacobs songs, but in the same sense a wretched non Steinman song. Liked the duet. Too bad Meat and John Parr's relationship never resurfaced after the not introducing him onstage thing.

4/10

This is probably my favourite song on BBIS. I think the credits show that it's a threesome, not a duet (relying on my memory here though). This is a song I'd love to see live. Perhaps Meat and Kasim, and perhaps one of the others could do live (although I think that's unlikely given that the songs selected for this tour didn't have this one listed).

I prefer the live version though (of course it doesn't have the dance beat stuff).

I agree, I think it's a shame John Parr and Meat Loaf haven't continued some sort of partnership.

White of High
31 Jan 2007, 20:37
Average: 5.08 (30.5/6)

michael.c
28 Feb 2007, 13:19
again , this very long extended remix while being very good is easily the longest remix of a meat song and it takes around 4 minutes for the opening lyrics to kick in , there are no extra lyrics ,a few repeated more and a lot more "talkings" , but a lot of meats best songs are the 10 minute ones and maybe farian was thinking along those lines , who knows , maybe he was trying to make a dance 80s bat , who knows . when this album was finished frank farian and the same musicians went on to record far corperations division one album , the similaries are striking including the 12" extended remix of their stairway to heaven cover , also 10 minutes also on arista, which i think is also brill and soooooooooooo similar to r and r mercs.

again another 10 from me

stevenparr
14 Oct 2011, 23:17
cheers

Wario
14 Oct 2011, 23:26
cheers

:wtf:

Well, for me:

This mix is WAY TOO LONG. i like the fact it doesn't fade out, which bafils me why it fades on the record.

5/10 - too long

Monstro
14 Oct 2011, 23:35
cheers

Can we please not bump threads this old,

many thanks